Are you stimulating?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Stimulus checks are arriving. What are you doing with yours?

Shopping Spree!
2%
Buy big-ticket item
2%
Home improvement
2%
Pay off debt
20%
Vacation
No votes
Bank it!
43%
Give it right back because you already owe taxes
13%
Other (explain yourself)
20%

Total votes: 61

Jeff V

Are you stimulating?

Post by Jeff V »

I'm in the middle of refinancing/restructuring debt in a manner that substantially increases cash flow, so paying debt will help even more.
Black Lives Matter
TheMix

Re: Are you stimulating?

Post by TheMix »

I guess we will just bank it. We don't have any plans. We actually haven't even discussed it.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Holman

Post by Holman »

We're banking it. There's some uncertainty about one of my jobs in the Fall, so we're going to belt-tightening mode.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
stessier

Post by stessier »

We got our direct deposit today.

We've talked about it - some will cover the short fall for the two weeks I have to be on unpaid leave (diff between unemployment and my actual pay), some will be donated to two food bank/kitchens in the area, and some will be used to visit local restaurants more than our 1x/week. We're thinking 2-3x depending on cost and how much food we get.

The rest will be banked against the danger of more unpaid leave in the second half of the year.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I'll let know when the check is in hand and if I pay taxes on it. My retirement is trashed and I'm essentially at 50% pay rate through???? Odds are pretty good any windfall money I get is going to be ferreted away in fear. But all it takes is a roof problem or dead car to change that plan.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

I haven't done my 2019 taxes but if they're like 2018 I'll owe a significant amount so I'm planning to just hand it right back to the government.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Mine showed up this morning.

Mrs Skinypupy desperately needs a new laptop, so that will be the first order of business. Rest will just go into savings, as I really have no idea what will happen with my job if this extends through the full year.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

You left out a poll option - not getting a stimulus check. That's where I would fall.

I guess that leaves me with "other" in the current answers.
Last edited by pr0ner on Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hodor.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Roof repairs sucked up all my available cash so I have been living off credit cards for the last month. Oh boy that's where my money goes.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

If we get it half will go to fixing my truck and things around the house, the rest will go to the credit cards.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

pr0ner wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:36 am You left out a poll option - not getting a stimulus check. That's where I would fall.

I wonder. It depends on how they get to their top figure. If they use my 2019 return and count everything with no breaks, I might be in the essentially nothing category.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Where is the "Wont accept it because Trump is not my President" option?

(It's a joke. No need to get offended....)
He/Him/His/Porcupine
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

LordMortis wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:41 am
pr0ner wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:36 am You left out a poll option - not getting a stimulus check. That's where I would fall.

I wonder. It depends on how they get to their top figure. If they use my 2019 return and count everything with no breaks, I might be in the essentially nothing category.
They use AGI. Full check if you're at $75,000 or less in 2019 (or 2018 if you haven't filed for 19 yet), and it phases out til $100,000 for single filers. Double those numbers if you're married, and there are other adjustments for having dependent children.
Hodor.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I don't think I'm eligible either, though I haven't confirmed that yet.
Black Lives Matter.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

pr0ner wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:55 am They use AGI. Full check if you're at $75,000 or less in 2019 (or 2018 if you haven't filed for 19 yet), and it phases out til $100,000 for single filers. Double those numbers if you're married, and there are other adjustments for having dependent children.
If it's adjusted, then I should get something My adjusted is well below $100,000... Or was in 2019... My gross before adjustment will be considerably below $75,000 at this rate in 2020.

I guess they had to make a decision somehow and a lot of people are sweating their finances a lot more than I currently am.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I expect to owe on our 2019 return, so this will cover that. The government giveth, and the government taketh away.

If they don't snatch it back, it will go in the bank. My late BIL's vacant house in Lansing is slowly bleeding money because we can't go there to clean it out and sell it.

Depending on how the tax return shakes out, I might give some of it to family members who are struggling. We don't need a windfall ourselves...yet.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Given that I'm on disability, I should be getting the full amount, but I'll treat it as an unhatched chicken until then. My oldest won't get anything, as he's 18 and a dependent. We're having to file for disability for him, but we can't even do that until the offices open back up. So for now, he's nobody. My youngest will receive the $500, and Michelle will probably receive hers. It's a sign of how screwed up things are that we can't even be sure of who is getting what or why, and will just have to wait and see if money appears.

If it does, it is going to pay off debt.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

For whatever reason, I can't get the IRS site to pull up my info. I'm assuming it has something to do with moving recently, but neither my old address (where I filed last year) or new address work. I just keep getting notified that the information provided doesn't match their records. :grund:
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I am "lucky" enough to have a wife that makes very little and a couple of dependents so I should be getting a decent chunk of change.

I don't have any specific use for it so it will go in the bank assuming it does show up. I went to check things on the IRS site and they say they can't determine if they owe me anything. My 2019 taxes were filed last week so they have up to date info. We'll see I guess.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

I don't know what I'm getting. I hand my stuff over to the accountant and he...calculates my AGI. No idea what it was. In the end I suspect I'll get something, if I do I'll probably split it between local businesses/charity and savings.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Me gots today.
Gonna hang out in my account for awhile, until I can think of something to buy.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Considering how much we owe in taxes this year, we are giving it right back, and then some (and some more...)
morlac

Post by morlac »

Might have few hundred left over after paying what we owed based on what we got which wont be the full amount. Making last years taxes a wash will work for me.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

The stimulus helped us zero out the cost of a $2000 car repair I recently had. It's not really stimulating anything for us that we hadn't already stimulated.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

So far, 23 responses, no stimulating going on. This isn't going to bode well for subsequent windfalls if the intended results are not there.
Black Lives Matter
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Jeff V wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:07 pm So far, 23 responses, no stimulating going on. This isn't going to bode well for subsequent windfalls if the intended results are not there.
I'm sure there are a number, a great number, maybe the best number, of people who will go out and blow this on a new phone.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

I didn't think this one was intended to be a stimulus, but rather a bridge to help people out.

No stimulus here, so I didn't vote in the poll.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Jeff V wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:07 pm So far, 23 responses, no stimulating going on. This isn't going to bode well for subsequent windfalls if the intended results are not there.
Funny that you think there will be more checks coming.
Hodor.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

pr0ner wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:31 pm
Funny that you think there will be more checks coming.
Seems to get talked about on the news a lot. Not counting on anything though.
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

ImLawBoy wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:16 pm I didn't think this one was intended to be a stimulus, but rather a bridge to help people out.
Yeah, this was intended to help with rent, mortgage, food, etc. for people who are suddenly out of work or facing huge pay cuts.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

ImLawBoy wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:16 pm I didn't think this one was intended to be a stimulus, but rather a bridge to help people out.
It's both. Those of us who aren't losing our jobs don't have much to spend our money on while we're holed up and are too anxious to spend it now anyway. As things start to normalize, we're going to have a lot of pent-up demand and money to blow. For the millions who have lost their livelihood, of course, it's already as good as gone.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Haven't received it yet, but it should cover most of what I owe the IRS for 2019
Stop funding for NPR
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Kraken wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:05 pm
It's both. Those of us who aren't losing our jobs don't have much to spend our money on while we're holed up and are too anxious to spend it now anyway. As things start to normalize, we're going to have a lot of pent-up demand and money to blow. For the millions who have lost their livelihood, of course, it's already as good as gone.
I don't know. We still have plenty of stuff to spend money on. My bills haven't stopped, people still need clothes, food, birthday presents, etc. Ordering out is more expensive (if you're tipping extra, as you should be). Granted, my wife and I didn't go out much previously due to TMDK (too many damn kids), but I'm not seeing much pent up demand from my household.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

If I don't get furloughed/reduced hours/whatever and nothing else comes up, banking the money for now but will be using it for remodeling on house we were just starting when COVID broke out.

My wife is asthmatic, diabetic, high blood pressure (and a few other things) - very high risk. We couldn't take a chance on any unnecessary exposure such as workers coming in here. She's been in the hospital 3 times for 5 days each in the last 5 years for asthma flaring up out of control from allergies. COVID would be highly likely to put her back in and probably above the average likelihood of dying.

Once things clear up a bit so it's reasonably safe to have people come in and to this work, I will proceed with it. Won't be money I wasn't going to spend most likely, but it will be less money I have to borrow to do it (which might result in a little more getting done, so a little stimulus).
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

We haven't got ours yet but we owed the Feds and the state just about what we will get from the Feds with this stimulus, so it will go for taxes.
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I was going to use it as an excuse to upgrade our worst gaming PC, but then I backed into the garage door (Zaxxon's fault!) and the replacement was.... not cheap. I'm still on the lookout for a VR headset, but bored people (and scalpers - is that what we call them in this scenario?) keep buying them all.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I guess ultimately in the grand scheme of things it will help us enable a trip to the Philippines next year (provided travel becomes a thing by then). Still, money wouldn't be spent here; it's likely we'd be flying a Taiwanese airline that's had the best prices for awhile.
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I was hoping it would come in today, but apparently those on disability won't be getting theirs right away, as they have to go through a different agency. I'm really hoping it is soon. Michelle had a six-month period of unemployment that just ended last month, and all four of us had to live on my check, which means that we had to make the surplus up with the credit card. I need to get that paid back down before the interest payments eat us alive.

In other words, we spent this check over the winter to pay the bills and buy food.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Ours was direct deposited in checking this morning and I promptly moved it to savings.

I plan on parking it there until shit blows over and then I'm buying a new stove. I use the stove every day and the one we have now is a piece of shit and we deserve better.

And I will be drinking better tequila.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Z-Corn wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:30 pm And I will be drinking better tequila.
Stimulating Mexico makes Orange Monkey Man mad. He is unpredictable when he's mad.
Black Lives Matter