2020 Hurricane Season

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Enough

Re: 2020 Hurricane Season

Post by Enough »

Overflight of damage around Cameron:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ku6AvbO ... e=youtu.be

From the video it looks like the surge really nailed the wildlife refuges and more rural areas, but sadly there are definitely some small towns that got wiped out pretty badly.
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I dont recall how many thousands of cattle were in an area supposed to be flooded and they couldn't remove them.

Some of those stilt house seemed to fair pretty well. I would have thought up in the air like that they'd be blown away. But now they are surrounded by water. Hope the ytied a boat wit ha strong line in their yard. Might look funny but now it would be floating and handy for food trips.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Now it's just getting crazy:
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

When hurricanes are flying in formation toward your shores, worry.

Also, if I'm reading that map correctly, the X-Men are right in the middle of it all.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Parents in Panama City are being told to expect 5-7” of rain during the rest of the week.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Sally hit the coast at Gulf Shores, AL as a category 2. Nasty nasty scene there.

My parents are just 20 miles north of there, with the eye crawling north-northeast.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

TS Beta
The outer bands of Tropical Storm Beta, one of several storms creating a record-breaking Atlantic hurricane season, are lashing the Texas coast.

Official landfall is forecast to be very late Monday or early Tuesday, but Texans should prepare for tropical storm conditions late Sunday through early Monday.

Already, Beta is bringing tropical storm conditions to parts of the southwestern Louisiana coast.

A storm surge warning is also in effect from Port Aransas, Texas, to the Rockefeller Wildlife Refuge in Louisiana, where 2 to 4 feet of storm surge is possible.
A total of 8 to 12 inches of widespread rain is forecast, and isolated rainfall of up to 20 inches is possible from the middle of the Texas coast to southern Louisiana through Thursday.

In Galveston, Texas, the worst flooding could come Monday morning, with high tide, officials said./quote]
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Zombie storms now . Thanks 2020.
Paulette formed earlier in September as one of the five active tropical cyclones brewing in the Atlantic Ocean. It was only the second time in history that many storms had existed simultaneously.
Hurricane Paulette made landfall in Bermuda as a Category 1 and strengthened to a Category 2 over the island on September 14. The storm then lost speed and lost its tropical storm status, downgraded to a post-tropical low-pressure system.

The storm formerly known as Paulette stewed for five and a half days. That is, until this week.
Paulette regained strength and became a tropical storm once more on Monday, according to the National Hurricane Center. Paulette reappeared Monday about 300 miles off the coast of the Azores islands.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Delta
Hurricane Delta rapidly intensified into a powerful Category 4 "major" hurricane Tuesday with 130 mph winds in the Caribbean Sea as it heads for Mexico then treks north toward the U.S. Gulf Coast.

Delta is forecast to lash Mexico's Yucatan Peninsula on Wednesday with "extremely dangerous storm surge" and "significant flash flooding." While forecasters are unsure exactly where and when it could hit the U.S., areas from Louisiana to the western Florida panhandle could see dangerous conditions Thursday night into Friday.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

The quickest intensification from depression to Cat 4.

https://weather.com/storms/hurricane/ne ... st-intense
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Our local 24 news station reminded us that it was four years ago today and tomorrow that Hurricane Matthew scooted up just off the east coast of Florida. It was Cat 4 off Miami dropping to Cat 3 by the time it passed Cape Canaveral (I'm located about 15 miles inland from the cape, which you can see in the gif below.

We had evacuated over to Clearwater on the west coast of Florida on the 5th which was the day before. Thankfully Matthew wobbled a bit seaward as it passed by the cape, so we just (just :roll:) got Cat 1 winds and a half foot of rain. Lost some shingles and had some fence damage but otherwise OK.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Please give a trigger warning before posting anything about Hurricane Matthew - that damned storm flooded my place with 6" of seawater!
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:49 pm Please give a trigger warning before posting anything about Hurricane Matthew - that damned storm flooded my place with 6" of seawater!
Yikes! :shock: I guess that also goes for mentioning anything about Matthew McConaughey, Matthew the Apostle or Matthew of The Walking Dead :D :wink:
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

jztemple2 wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:40 pm
Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:49 pm Please give a trigger warning before posting anything about Hurricane Matthew - that damned storm flooded my place with 6" of seawater!
Yikes! :shock: I guess that also goes for mentioning anything about Matthew McConaughey, Matthew the Apostle or Matthew of The Walking Dead :D :wink:
Yes for Matthew McConaughey, but for completely different reasons. :whistle:
Black Lives Matter
Biyobi

Post by Biyobi »

Alefroth wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:14 pm The quickest intensification from depression to Cat 4.
I'm betting an ex-girlfriend of mine from college is wondering why she just said "hold my beer" out loud for no reason.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Delta dropped to Category 1 over Yucatan, back up to Category 2.

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

CBS News
Hurricane Delta, now a Category 1 storm, made landfall near Creole, Louisiana, on Friday evening, with nearly 11 million people in the storm's path. Hundreds of thousands of people in Texas and Louisiana lost power as the storm traveled north, and up to a foot of rain is expected in some areas.

The hurricane struck the Gulf Coast as a Category 2 storm, but was downgraded to a Category 1 about an hour later. Forecasters are still warning of a "life-threatening" surge of seawater in some areas.

The hurricane is threatening the same region that was devastated by Hurricane Laura just six weeks ago. Recovery from that Category 4 storm will likely be set back by weeks.
Holman

Post by Holman »

My parents are on the eastern shore of Mobile Bay. It’s by no means the most hurricane-exposed part of the gulf coast, but they're still cleaning up from last month’s Hurricane Sally.

Mom and Dad were lucky to get electricity back in three days, but they’ve got neighbors who went two weeks without it.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

And yet another storm forms! Tropical Depression Twenty-Eight has formed south-west of Cuba. Could Louisiana be in for yet another landfall? This would be tropical storm Zeta if it strengthens, which it is expected to this evening.

A lot of records being set this year, and it's not over yet. To begin with, ten US landfalls so far. Plus...
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I blame Trump and his cult for all this.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

We're under a tropical storm warning here in TN. In TN! Can you believe that? That Zeta storm in the Gulf will make it up here in the morning. We'll have sustained winds of 45mph and in total about 5" of rain counting today. I think today was just a big band of rain off of it.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

This reminds me of 2004 when we got hit with three hurricanes over about six weeks.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Looks like Eta has southern FL on target:
Though it has weakened, the storm will linger over the region for the coming days, bringing "catastrophic, life-threatening flash flooding, river flooding and mudslides," according to the NHC.

Later this week, the storm is expected to reemerge over the Caribbean Sea and possibly move over Cuba by Sunday. That means that by the end of the weekend, Eta could threaten Southeast US -- particularly Florida, which is in the storm's forecast cone.
Eta is expected to restrengthen when it hits water once again, but there is still uncertainty about the magnitude of intensity it will reach, according to CNN meteorologist Michael Guy.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Yes, this is going to mess up our Monday beach day :?. That sounds trivial but with medical appointments taking up part of each week and the beach being too crowded for us on weekends we usually only have one or two days a week to even get to the beach.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Storm 31 is forming. 29 was a record.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Yeah we had nasty weather for more than a day due to Eta passing over Florida. Hopefully Iota will wipe itself out in Central America.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Eta gave us about 3” of rain and some decently high winds for about two days. Lots of tree branches down around me, but I don’t think there was any significant damage.
Black Lives Matter
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Did I miss the storms named DOA, FYI , and GTFO

(Pardon my silly, ill placed (weak) humor)
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Unagi wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:12 am Did I miss the storms named DOA, FYI , and GTFO

(Pardon my silly, ill placed (weak) humor)
I mentioned to my wife that no one is going to remember names like Eta and Iota, so the National Hurricane Center ought to come up with more memorable naming, like the original cast of Saturday Night Live or something....
"This afternoon Hurricane Chevy Chase devastated a good part of Miami Beach..."
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Was there any warning before Eta? I mean, was there an estimated time before it's arrival? I don't give one iota about the other storm.
:P :D

And yeah - Hurricane Gilda has a nice ring to it.