Fundraising complete, next renewal is August 2022. Paypal Donation Links US dollars CDN Dollars

How are you staying sane in 2020?

Everything else!

Moderators: EvilHomer3k, Bakhtosh

Smoove_B

Re: How are you staying sane in 2020?

Post by Smoove_B »

I don't know if any of these links are helpful, but I provide:

SAMHSA
Map: Selected Federally Qualified Health Center (FQHC)
How Right Now

Maybe not helpful, and you didn't ask, but right now I'd be focusing on what's inside your four walls - you and your family. All the other stuff sucks, but until you can get your support systems (internal, familial) back online there's now realistic way to process the outside world right now. I'd consider myself (generally) mentally healthy and I've been on tilt since March.

I wish I could offer something specific and useful. I've been remote D&Ding since July and have found it to be a real nice change of pace. It doesn't quite fill the gap of playing games in person, but it's been mentally helpful. Maybe something like that could be organized here or is an option for you (I'm not sure if you're totally out of touch with RL friends or just the ones you game with).
Last edited by Smoove_B on Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Blackhawk wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:05 pm
Jeff V wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:37 pm
Blackhawk wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:33 pm
I doubt they'll become standard in rural Indiana until well after they are old news in more... modern places.
Don't be so sure, it's insurance companies driving that bus, so expect your rural quacks to still hop aboard.
I certainly hope not. I have a very hard time talking to people in person. Doing it remotely is very, very unpleasant for me. As in 'panic attack inducing' levels of uncomfortable. If I have to call the cable company it takes me a week of putting it off to gather the willpower to do it, and I'm likely going to be shaking afterward.
I generally dread that kind of shite too, but I find if I get a cup of joe, crank up a video to watch while I'm waiting, put the phone on speaker and bite the bullet I can get through it. I remind myself they are just people doing their job, try to be patient and joke around with them if appropriate. I am generally relieved when it's over, but think, that wasn't so bad.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter

Blackhawk
Loading…

Post by Blackhawk »

After 20 years on disability, plus as the parent of one autistic kid and another kid with ADHD, I've become pretty familiar with the options around here and have done business with at least eight or ten. The options around here generally fall into three categories: children only, high-priced boutique (which don't take medicare), and one group that handles those of lesser means. Of those, only one is available locally (the last of the three.) I've worked with at least five or six different therapists there, as they have a lot of turnover (qualified people don't end up in a town of 4,000, or they don't stay long.)

As to the phone thing, that's been beat to death by multiple therapists, and all sorts of coping mechanisms have been tried. After decades of working on it, I've yet to gain any insight at all as to why phones are so horrible for me compared to in-person conversations.

This isn't something new for me. I'm on disability for a good reason (or I'd have ditched this lifestyle a long, long time ago.) I'm just venting that's its gotten bad enough that I'm seeing the need to start seeing somebody again for the first time since 2014 (I stopped after I developed cancer and couldn't speak for months, and never felt a pressing need to go back until now.)

Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Blackhawk wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:31 pm
After 20 years on disability, plus as the parent of one autistic kid and another kid with ADHD, I've become pretty familiar with the options around here and have done business with at least eight or ten. The options around here generally fall into three categories: children only, high-priced boutique (which don't take medicare), and one group that handles those of lesser means. Of those, only one is available locally (the last of the three.) I've worked with at least five or six different therapists there, as they have a lot of turnover (qualified people don't end up in a town of 4,000, or they don't stay long.)

As to the phone thing, that's been beat to death by multiple therapists, and all sorts of coping mechanisms have been tried. After decades of working on it, I've yet to gain any insight at all as to why phones are so horrible for me compared to in-person conversations.

This isn't something new for me. I'm on disability for a good reason (or I'd have ditched this lifestyle a long, long time ago.) I'm just venting that's its gotten bad enough that I'm seeing the need to start seeing somebody again for the first time since 2014 (I stopped after I developed cancer and couldn't speak for months, and never felt a pressing need to go back until now.)
Not sure if it will help, but maybe see if you qualify for a home health aid or some sort of assistant to help you through some of the things you have trouble with such as dealing with phone calls. (They obviously cant do your telemed therapy for you). Not even sure if you'd qualify. The only reason I even thought of it is that my wife is a home health aide part time. She was doing it full time at one point and she told me (without details) that one of her patients couldn't use the phone and she spent a lot of time just dealing with phone stuff like bills, repairs, appointments, etc..
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us

Blackhawk
Loading…

Post by Blackhawk »

That's not necessary. I've arranged things so that it is rare that I need to make a call, only when something changes or goes out of whack. And if it is something that I don't need to make the call personally, Michelle usually handles it.

Besides, I don't want to avoid all of the normal activities that bother me. It's a slippery slope I once slid down years ago.