Any OOers from Flavortown?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

McNutt

Any OOers from Flavortown?

Post by McNutt »

Petition to rename Columbus, Ohio "Flavortown."

Making this happen is my top priority of 2020. I'd even buy a Flavortown Blue Jackets jersey.
Hrothgar

Re: Any OOers from Flavortown?

Post by Hrothgar »

I'm not sure letting Guy Fieri name your town is a good idea.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Triple D!
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Maybe Dublin (Ohio) could incorporate Columbus and rename it the Wendy's District.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

What will Drew Carry think?
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

He's from Cleveland.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:23 pm He's from Cleveland.
Well then what about the Herb Tarlicks?

I had one of their jackets once upon a time.
Spoiler:
RMC throw me a lifeline so I can start naming stuff from all the big Ohio cities that start with C is for cookie which is good enough for me.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I have friends in Flavortown. I'll have to ask them their stance on this. :D
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I was actually born there.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I was born 2 hours north of Columbus. To this day, I can still recall the bloody violence and the tragic aftermath of the Flavor Wars.
He won. Period.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

hepcat wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:25 pm I was born 2 hours north of Columbus. To this day, I can still recall the bloody violence and the tragic aftermath of the Flavor Wars.
The thing people don't realize about the flavor wars is that it was never really about flavors at all.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

LordMortis wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:28 pm
hepcat wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:25 pm I was born 2 hours north of Columbus. To this day, I can still recall the bloody violence and the tragic aftermath of the Flavor Wars.
The thing people don't realize about the flavor wars is that it was never really about flavors at all.
Revisionist history right here.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Enlarge Image

I vill mess with time
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Did I hear you say that this is victory?
Don't let these flavorless shakes go on.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Somebody say Shakes?

Enlarge Image
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

McNutt wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:46 pm Did I hear you say that this is victory?
Don't let these flavorless shakes go on.
We've been eating up our brains,

I assumed that was about withdraw, now I know it was really about Columbus and the War of Frosty's Aggression along 270.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:00 pmTriple D!
My first thought as well.
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

ImLawBoy wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:29 pm
The people who insist that this was about tangy vs zesty are simply trying to avoid the real reason behind the Flavor Wars, which was the repudiation of spice taxation without chef representation.
He won. Period.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

hepcat wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:12 pm
The people who insist that this was about tangy vs zesty are simply trying to avoid the real reason behind the Flavor Wars, which was the repudiation of spice taxation without chef representation.
Did you even read the Cornerpiece of Pizza Speech? It lays it all out right there. :roll:
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

ImLawBoy wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:14 pm Cornerpiece of Pizza
Mmmm. The corner piece of pizza is the best piece of pizza, much as the corner piece of brownie is the best piece of brownie but I'm am assuming this about how texture can improve or distract from flavor more than it is really about flavor itself.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

ImLawBoy wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:14 pm
Did you even read the Cornerpiece of Pizza Speech? It lays it all out right there. :roll:
Was that the 95 Pizzas?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

:clap:
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Tao

Post by Tao »

First; this thread should win some sort of award for Geekedness (?), Nerdosity (?). Either way, awesome. :D

Second; I don't now Guy Fieri and have no first hand knowledge but I've read he isn't exactly a nice guy and it's alleged he is a raging homophobe, so not sure folks in Columbus would want the new name to be associated with him if they are going for inclusiveness.
"Don't touch my stuff when I'm dead...it's booytrapped!" - Bender Bending Rodriguez
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Any town that will give you fried sourkraut balls at Barley’s can’t be all bad.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Tao wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:35 pm First; this thread should win some sort of award for Geekedness (?), Nerdosity (?). Either way, awesome. :D

Second; I don't now Guy Fieri and have no first hand knowledge but I've read he isn't exactly a nice guy and it's alleged he is a raging homophobe, so not sure folks in Columbus would want the new name to be associated with him if they are going for inclusiveness.
First, you don't know Columbus if you think they wouldn't want to be associated with a raging asshole, as the town is the home to An Ohio State University. :P

Second, by almost all accounts Guy is an incredibly nice guy who gives freely of his time and money to charity and has officiated same sex weddings.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

An Ohio State University
:lol:
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

ImLawBoy wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:13 pm Second, by almost all accounts Guy is an incredibly nice guy who gives freely of his time and money to charity and has officiated same sex weddings.
Thank you.

I was about to seriously fight for Guy's honor. He is up there with Jose Andres for chefs making the world a better place in the face of disasters.
Tao

Post by Tao »

I know I should just let this go as I have no vested interest in Columbus Ohio or Guy Fiere however; I used to watch his shows, the Grocery game show and Diners-Drive-In's etc. until I started reading articles a few years back similar to this one and stopped viewing afterward. Not saying this is gospel just what I read from multiple sources.

Article

I am not disputing he does good deeds,like most humans he's probably a mix of good and bad, my dad went to church every Sunday without fail and had bible study once a week at his house, the rest of the time he was an alcoholic, bigot/racist and all around not so great person. One doesn't always balance the other. With that I am going to step out of the thread, I am not trying to start a big argument over some celebrity I never met nor will likely.
"Don't touch my stuff when I'm dead...it's booytrapped!" - Bender Bending Rodriguez
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Tao wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:31 pm I know I should just let this go as I have no vested interest in Columbus Ohio or Guy Fiere however; I used to watch his shows, the Grocery game show and Diners-Drive-In's etc. until I started reading articles a few years back similar to this one and stopped viewing afterward. Not saying this is gospel just what I read from multiple sources.

Article

I am not disputing he does good deeds,like most humans he's probably a mix of good and bad, my dad went to church every Sunday without fail and had bible study once a week at his house, the rest of the time he was an alcoholic, bigot/racist and all around not so great person. One doesn't always balance the other. With that I am going to step out of the thread, I am not trying to start a big argument over some celebrity I never met nor will likely.
Please don't take my comments personally. I sincerely hope I didn't make you feel uncomfortable. You are absolutely entitled to your opinion and the freedom to speak it.

I'll fight for that also.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Sure, you’ll fight for THAT, but when your people called on you to fight at the Battle of Burger Chef off I 70, where were you? I’ll tell you where you were. You were with the rest of those “Conscientious Objectors” who sat out the war under the misguided belief that God never intended for humans to experiment with side dishes.

Your kind makes me sick.
He won. Period.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Tao wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:31 pm I know I should just let this go as I have no vested interest in Columbus Ohio or Guy Fiere however; I used to watch his shows, the Grocery game show and Diners-Drive-In's etc. until I started reading articles a few years back similar to this one and stopped viewing afterward. Not saying this is gospel just what I read from multiple sources.

Article

No need to step out of the thread. We can each try to educate one another. When I look at the article you link, most of it is pretty standard anti-Fieri fare - his hair, his clothes, his catchphrases. It's all terrible, and I don't deny that. I think it's likely he has an ego, too. I don't think any of his restaurants still exist today, but if they did, I certainly wouldn't be there ordering something with a side of "Donkey Sauce". If someone wants to hate on Guy for for any of that, I can totally empathize.

But the worst allegations of homophobia and anti-Semitism seem to arise out of the dispute he had in 2011 with a former producer on his show who was embroiled in a bitter legal dispute with Fieri and the Food Network at the time. He's the one who claims that Guy was homophobic (and I assume he made the anti-Semitic claims too, since I've only seen those in relation to the homophobia claims). I don't think the producer ever produced the actual e-mails he alleged, and the only corroboration is from someone on his payroll. On the other hand, you've got his apparently close relationship with his late sister (who headed up his charity before her death and was openly gay) and the documented fact that he officiated at the mass wedding of 101 same sex couples in 2015 at an event organized by openly gay celebrity chef Art Smith.

I feel like a bit of a Guy Fieri fanboi here, which isn't really the case. I do enjoy the occasional episode of Triple D, but I've never seen Triple G (I guess it's called) and have no desire to. I think he does good work showcasing small restaurants throughout the country, but this post is probably the most I've ever written about him in my life. Maybe there's more documentation out there that I didn't see in my quick googling on the subject, and I'm quite willing to be educated. At this point, though, the evidence leans strongly toward Guy being a decent guy.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

ImLawBoy wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:14 pm
hepcat wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:12 pm
Pizzas don't have corners. Well, maybe dish deep pizzas but those aren't real pizzzas.
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

hepcat wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:49 pm Suwhen your people called on you to fight at the Battle of Burger Chef
And Jeff!!!! Now you are trying to distort history. :x
Scuzz wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:18 am Pizzas don't have corners. Well, maybe dish deep pizzas but those aren't real pizzzas.
You are dead to me. Not only are square deep dish pizza very real. They are standout in the general excellence that is all pizza... or nearly all pizza. You can keep a sizable portion California Pizza Kitchen "gourmet" pizza crap.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

LordMortis wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:21 am
hepcat wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:49 pm Suwhen your people called on you to fight at the Battle of Burger Chef
The first casualty of the Flavor Wars. We still commemorate his sacrifice each year with the ceremonial deep frying of things we find around our homes. :cry:
He won. Period.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

As a very young child, I was fast food heart broken when Burger Chef and Jeff turned into Hardee's around me. We didn't get fast food (or any restaurant food) often but mom would let me get the racing car meal a few times a year sometimes after allergy shots. They were by far my favorite.

The war may have been fought in Ohio but the effects were felt way up here.

I'm guessing the real losers were Jack in the Box though. I remember their existence, but have never in my life had any food from there.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Scuzz wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:18 am Pizzas don't have corners. Well, maybe dish deep pizzas but those aren't real pizzzas.
You are dead to me. Not only are square deep dish pizza very real. They are standout in the general excellence that is all pizza... or nearly all pizza. You can keep a sizable portion California Pizza Kitchen "gourmet" pizza crap.
I don't think it is possible to get a true deep dish pizza in my town. At least anything like I have seen on the food channel. But those tend to look more like lasagnas than pizza.
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I like Guy. I hate Martha Stewart.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

His look is almost comical, but he always seemed like a nice guy.

Sent from my HD1900 using Tapatalk

Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Daehawk wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:27 pm I like Guy. I hate Martha Stewart.
I have never figured out what made Martha Stewart popular. She is about as dry as old toast.
Black Lives Matter
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Scuzz wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:04 pm
I don't think it is possible to get a true deep dish pizza in my town. At least anything like I have seen on the food channel. But those tend to look more like lasagnas than pizza.
You've either experienced really bad deep dish or really bad lasagna.