Anyone here know anything about laser pointers?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Darkstar One

Anyone here know anything about laser pointers?

Post by Darkstar One »

Was looking at this https://www.laserpointerpro.com/100mw-5 ... -2204.html as a toy for myself to use while camping or looking at stars.

Is this strong enough to burn paper or twigs? Thanks.
Rumpy

Re: Anyone here know anything about laser pointers?

Post by Rumpy »

No opinion on that particular laser other than to say be careful with it when pointing it at stars and do your research ahead of time as to whether your camping location is near an airport. Nowadays, some organizations have drafted some usage rules recommending against using them within a certain radius of an airport ( I think it's 10kms), and some have even considered putting a licensing and approval system in place for those who know what they're doing with them, as there have been too many wildcards out there ruining it for those with legitimate uses. Even among astronomers, its usage has declined as there are too many legal implications associated with them.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

My cat advises, "Meow".

Still working with Google Translate, will get back to you.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Rumpy wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:42 pm No opinion on that particular laser other than to say be careful with it when pointing it at stars...
Yeah, 50 years from now you could blind some alien looking up at the night sky.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
JSHAW

Post by JSHAW »

Enough to know NOT to point them at passing planes and helicopters. Unless you like visits from federal authorities, cops asking why you
pointed at passing plane or helicopter.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Darkstar One wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:47 pm Was looking at this https://www.laserpointerpro.com/100mw-5 ... -2204.html as a toy for myself to use while camping or looking at stars.

Is this strong enough to burn paper or twigs? Thanks.
Per the photos, that is a IIIB so it won't burn paper.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Jaymann wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:01 pm
Rumpy wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:42 pm No opinion on that particular laser other than to say be careful with it when pointing it at stars...
Yeah, 50 years from now you could blind some alien looking up at the night sky.
I meant, when pointing it at the sky. Fines are rather steep if found pointing one in the vicinity of an airport. They take it rather seriously. There are legitimate uses such as pointing at stars (such as what my Dad does when out at astronomy events), but the the most part, that's been ruined by the spate of irresponsible idiots pointing at planes. I have a lawyer friend who was involved in such a case and it wasn't pretty.

I belong to at least 3 astronomy clubs and every one says the same thing.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

I'm confused. When you point a laser pointer up at a star, (I assume to show someone what star you are talking about, or something) how can you see the laser?
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Unagi wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:27 pm I'm confused. When you point a laser pointer up at a star, (I assume to show someone what star you are talking about, or something) how can you see the laser?
The concern is with blinding beings on planets orbiting that star.

My cat knows about laser pointers. He stopped chasing the red dot when he figured out that it originates in my hand. In fact, he identified the laser pointer itself as his tormentor, and he made off with it once.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I was about to ask, too. I have no idea what utility pointing a laser pointer at the night sky has.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Unagi wrote:I'm confused. When you point a laser pointer up at a star, (I assume to show someone what star you are talking about, or something) how can you see the laser?
There’s enough suspended stuff in the air that you can see the entirety of the beam as it bounces off said stuff.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

I wouldn’t have thought you could see it, but I guess this is what I expected someone here to tell me.
Cool
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Blackhawk wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:53 pm I was about to ask, too. I have no idea what utility pointing a laser pointer at the night sky has.
They're useful for when doing outreach to point out objects like constellations. Easier for the general public to grasp what they're looking at when learning the sky. Green lasers work best, but even then, sometimes they're too bright. It of course depends on the sky conditions as well, in terms of how much humidity is in the air. If hazy, you'll get a very different effect than if it's clear and sometimes the beam won't be seen very well.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Holman

Post by Holman »

So it's not that the dot appears in the sky (as on a screen or blackboard) but that the beam itself points towards the object of interest (like a lightsaber)?
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Freyland wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:57 pm My cat advises, "Meow".

Still working with Google Translate, will get back to you.
I had a cat once whose favorite thing was chasing the laser pointer around the room every evening. She would jump on my desk and paw at it until she got my attention and was excited every time I picked it up. Then one day, it died. I took it apart, and it soon became obvious it was never going to work again. She sat on the desk the whole time I was working on it, and while I'm not one to anthropomorphize pets all that much, she gave me such a sad look that seemed to say, "it's never going to work again, is it?" This was after cheap, $2 laser pointers were withdrawn from the market and I wound up splurging on $35 one at Office Despot.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Holman wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:20 am So it's not that the dot appears in the sky (as on a screen or blackboard) but that the beam itself points towards the object of interest (like a lightsaber)?
Correct.

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Interesting. Having had laser pointers outside before, I wouldn't have thought the beam would have been visible. Of course, all of mine have been red, and none have been industrial quality.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Power and color definitely have an impact.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Holman wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:20 am So it's not that the dot appears in the sky (as on a screen or blackboard) but that the beam itself points towards the object of interest (like a lightsaber)?
Yes, more or less. In the past, at astronomy events you could sometimes see laser duels, but this is now heavily frowned upon due to the aforementioned issues. Laser users have become understandably nervous and establishments/organizations want to limit their use to only certain individuals.

In astronomy usage, green is definitely best, as the wavelength of a green laser makes it easily seen in the sky. The reason? The eye is more sensitive to green light than red. In astronomy usage, red is normally used as a way to conserve night vision as you don't want white light around to destroy your dark adaptation, and eyes typically take about 15 mins to adapt to dark surroundings.

Here's a good article on the whole subject:
https://skyandtelescope.org/observing/s ... -pointers/

Coming back to the pointer itself, I'm going to say, you're not going to need more than 5mw . 100mw is far too much. You'll be fine with class 3a.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti