RIP Hugh Downs

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Isgrimnur

RIP Hugh Downs

Post by Isgrimnur »

CNN
Hugh Downs, the versatile and Emmy-winning broadcaster whose decades-long TV career ranged from anchoring ABC News' "20/20" to the "Today" show to serving as Jack Paar's sidekick on "The Tonight Show," has died at his home in Scottsdale, Arizona. He was 99.

Local outlet AZFamily was first to report the news of Downs' passing, citing a statement from his great-niece, Molly Shaheen.

Downs -- who retired in 1999 -- was essentially there for the very start of commercial television, serving as the announcer for the children's show "Kukla, Fran and Ollie" and comedy legend Sid Caesar's "Caesar's Hour" in the 1950s.
Guinness World Records once recognized Downs for having appeared in more hours of U.S. television (roughly 10,000) than anyone else, a record later broken by Regis Philbin.

Downs' wife, Ruth Shaheen Downs, died in 2017 at the age of 95. The two had been married since 1944.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Daehawk

Re: RIP Hugh Downs

Post by Daehawk »

Amazing life him and his wife got to share. I remember him saying "Im Hugh Downs" but cant recall on what. Maybe 20/20. I also remember Kukla, Fran and Ollie from the 70s! Wow didn't know it was so old. She started as a young woman it seems.

RIP
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Jaymann

Re: RIP Hugh Downs

Post by Jaymann »

To me he will always be the host of Concentration.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter