Warrior Nun on Netflix is amazing

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Pyperkub

Warrior Nun on Netflix is amazing

Post by Pyperkub »

Blitzed through the series already and I could easily watch it again. Acting, characters, lore and story with some good action sequences all melding together perfectly.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Re: Warrior Nun on Netflix is amazing

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Saw the splash on Netflix for it, immediately added to my watchlist. Have to save it for when the kids are otherwise occupied.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Trailer looks very cool, but most of the reviews I’ve read are...less than enthusiastic.

I’ll probably give it a look at some point, but I’m not expecting much.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Need to finish The Order first.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
stessier

Post by stessier »

I just finished episode 4 and am enjoying it.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

That was interesting. Beyond the Catholic church is "bad and corrupt" theme, it didn't go anywhere I expected it to go. I'm glad they avoided the HBO route of gratuitous sex and nudity in a show ostensibly about nuns.

About the finale:
Spoiler:
I'm a bit surprised if they were going to end on a cliffhanger, why not stop at the end of the previous episode? It would have left a lot of interesting questions, and the actual finale would have been a great way to kick off season 2.

Now we're stuck with the priest as a betrayer. Why? How did Adriel communicate with him? Is Lilith just like Adriel now, a human who returned from the other side? What does that mean for the boy? Why can Adriel control wraiths?
I certainly hope there's another season to answer some of the questions.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I've seen four episodes but it's not catching me. The main girl is too obnoxious.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Sounds like a good candidate for a double feature with

He won. Period.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Hrothgar wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:50 pm I certainly hope there's another season to answer some of the questions.
I just finished tonight and there had darn well better be another season. I liked it but that was a crummy way to end it.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

In response to Hrothgar:
Spoiler:
Interesting thought about Lilith and Adriel. My assumption is that Adriel isn't human. Lilith can access some similar abilities after crossing back but is not the same.

I didn't like the priest as a antagonist turn. As you say, how did they communicate? I suppose the ex-archivist will take over as the mentor figure/information source.
In general I liked the show as a fun romp in beautiful settings. Mostly predictable but the characters were fun enough that I didn't mind. I did not like the scientist but I think most of it is that they never set up anything showing why she thinks the portal leads to what she describes. It felt like too big of a leap.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Hrothgar wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:50 pm That was interesting. Beyond the Catholic church is "bad and corrupt" theme, it didn't go anywhere I expected it to go.
Spoiler:
Now we're stuck with the priest as a betrayer. Why? How did Adriel communicate with him? Is Lilith just like Adriel now, a human who returned from the other side? What does that mean for the boy? Why can Adriel control wraiths?
My long winded theories on the end.
Spoiler:
That is a theme, but I'm not sure it is actually true. The end pretty much calls into question everything up to that point. Are we really sure that Church knew having Adriel there was an anchor? Heck, are we sure about anything that the Church knew? The histories were passed down by the Warrior Nuns, but we saw how the words were a version of reality from a certain point of view. And who really locked Adriel away? Whomever did knew it wasn't just bones in there (as did Vincent). And how did the demon get in the wall? That is really puzzling to me and seems significant.

As for the betrayer priest, if there is an ancient order of nuns, why can't there be an ancient order of people who serve Adriel and know he's not an angel? I see Vincent's whole story to Mary about why he is the way he is and the tattoos as a lie. His tattoos are infused with Divinium - or at the very least they glowed as he was carrying Ava out of the Necropolis. In that case, Adriel didn't have to ever communicate with Vincent specifically - it's an order that has been trying to find and release him for centuries. Vincent infiltrated the OCS and arranged Stephanie's death to get a more compliant Warrior Nun.

Given what Lilith says - that Adriel isn't an angel, he's a thief - makes it seem like the demons are more like Adriel's realm's cops trying to get back what they lost and bring him to justice. I'm not sure what Lilith is, but she clearly has some of the power from that other realm. Her hair also greyed significantly after they released Adriel. Not sure what that is about, but another good mystery for the sequel.

Mother Superior is also an interesting mystery. The halo rejected her - what does it mean to be rejected? Given where the halo comes from, maybe that's a good thing? I see her as the new leader of our merry gang.

Someone brought up the mother and child - the end showed the mother was just building what the child told her too. Another mystery is which "angel" was talking to the child and why did the portal open when Ava did her thing. I don't think the former archivist is going to be leading the team in the future - I took his discovery of the drawings as the confirmation his faith was looking for.
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

Spoiler:
Lilith's hair and the demon in the wall are both interesting threads. My first thought when she ran into the demon in the wall was which way it was headed? My guess is in but they seem to focus on taking back the halo and Adriel didn't have the halo? In the earlier flashback it looked very much like he felt putting the halo into the original warrior nun would keep the demons from chasing him.

I missed the tattoos glowing while Vincent carried her out. Good catch although I see no reason not to have most of the priests backstory by the same just with the idea that between the rough part of his past and church he accepted that his darkness would always exist and turned to Adriel somehow.

You might be right on the archivist. When he shouted for the scientist not to go through the portal I figured that seeing the drawings had shattered his believe in the science of their task and now he was left with no faith that the portal was good. I didn't read his laughter as he looked at the drawings as him finding the faith he was looking for but that might well be my bias.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Spoiler:
Madmarcus wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:20 pmLilith's hair and the demon in the wall are both interesting threads. My first thought when she ran into the demon in the wall was which way it was headed? My guess is in but they seem to focus on taking back the halo and Adriel didn't have the halo? In the earlier flashback it looked very much like he felt putting the halo into the original warrior nun would keep the demons from chasing him.
My memory is that the demon was headed in to the chamber for Adriel, but I'd have to rewatch to be sure. It is interesting that it is stuck in the rock, though. They can seemingly open dimension doors anywhere - what would cause it to be in solid rock? Adriel definitely put the halo in the first nun to hide it.
I missed the tattoos glowing while Vincent carried her out. Good catch although I see no reason not to have most of the priests backstory by the same just with the idea that between the rough part of his past and church he accepted that his darkness would always exist and turned to Adriel somehow.
Yeah, you're probably right. Maybe just the part of the nun looking at him and seeing no demons was a lie - or, I should say, his seeming sorrow that there was no demon was a lie. It is more likely he was happy he could pass as a good guy. Can't wait to find out what Adriel whispered to him at the end.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Finished this up last night. There were some slow episodes, but overall I enjoyed it. Some speculation:
Spoiler:
Adrial mentioned that he could see things on the outside based on who was in possession of his armor. The scientist's kid is full of divinium, so I'm guessing the "angel" he was talking to was Adrial. The priest tells Adrial something like "your machine is ready", which I'm assuming means the portal generator the scientist built. So, presumably Adrial instructed the kid on how to build to portal so that the he could use it to be free and/or return to his dimension.

What I'm not clear on was Vincent's plan. He had the first warrior nun killed so he could get the halo to do what exactly?
Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:51 am Finished this up last night. There were some slow episodes, but overall I enjoyed it. Some speculation:
Spoiler:
Adrial mentioned that he could see things on the outside based on who was in possession of his armor. The scientist's kid is full of divinium, so I'm guessing the "angel" he was talking to was Adrial. The priest tells Adrial something like "your machine is ready", which I'm assuming means the portal generator the scientist built. So, presumably Adrial instructed the kid on how to build to portal so that the he could use it to be free and/or return to his dimension.

What I'm not clear on was Vincent's plan. He had the first warrior nun killed so he could get the halo to do what exactly?
Spoiler:
He needed the Halo barrier to get to Adrial to free him. Ideally Adrial would have taken the halo back right when they met, but things got complicated. Shannon had gotten suspicious and wasn't going to help.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

stessier wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:02 am
Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:51 am Finished this up last night. There were some slow episodes, but overall I enjoyed it. Some speculation:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
He needed the Halo barrier to get to Adrial to free him. Ideally Adrial would have taken the halo back right when they met, but things got complicated. Shannon had gotten suspicious and wasn't going to help.
Spoiler:
But, assuming he couldn't predict Ava happening, the halo would next go to Lilith, right? It seems unlikely to me that Lilith would be willing to phase through the wall to get to Adrial's tomb. It took a lot of crazy stuff to happen to get to the point where Ava et al. decided to do that, much of which wouldn't have happened if Lilith had received the halo.
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Hrothgar wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:50 pm I certainly hope there's another season to answer some of the questions.
Prayers answered!

"This winter"
Maybe next year, maybe no go
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Starts back up on November 10.

stessier

Post by stessier »

Excellent!
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

Am I the only one who is annoyed by the relationship issues in the first couple of episodes of season 2?
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Madmarcus wrote:Am I the only one who is annoyed by the relationship issues in the first couple of episodes of season 2?
Watched the first 2 episodes over the weekend, and I don't really know what you're taking about. OCS Nuns?

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

The trio of Ava, Beatrice, the guy, and then in the second episode the girl who sat down with Beatrice in the bar. It feels like Ava and Beatrice need to sit down and hash some things out which they should have had time to do while they are living together in hiding. I'm not sure if I am more bothered by the fact that it feels like a second rate JRPG romantic sub plot or that it feels that Ava suddenly wants to act NOW without any real justification why now is so critical.

In other words - more tactical nuns, more angelic or demonic mystery, less relationship drama
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Cancelled:
Netflix has opted not to order a third season of Warrior Nun. The decision was made a month after the Nov. 10 release of the fantasy drama’s second season.

Warrior Nun‘s second season ratings performance follows the pattern of other scripted series which have been canceled by Netflix as the streamer evaluates viewing vs. cost for their renewal decisions. Season 2 spent just three weeks in Netflix’s Weekly Top 10 for English-language series, peaking at #5. Warrior Nun has built a small yet passionate fan base, which helped it secure a second season renewal but was not enough to sustain the series in the long run.
Maybe next year, maybe no go

Post by Default »

I'm not feeling the value of a streaming service who cancels shows I enjoy and tries to placate me with Men In Black lll.
"pcp, lsd, thc, tgb...it's all good." ~ Kraken
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

So many shows like this one have a teenager cast. I know it's just me because I'm olde but I don't like this trend.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
malchior

Post by malchior »

dbt1949 wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 1:18 pm So many shows like this one have a teenager cast. I know it's just me because I'm olde but I don't like this trend.
Teenage casts are cheap. When you're churning out content for a company built on analytics low cost is king since it is hard to measure quality.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

The main female lead on this looks a lot like a young Elliot Page.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

What the deal with Lilith? How does she have powers without the Halo? I watched season 1 but don't remember much.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

That is not dead which can on hiatus lie, and with strange hashtags even rise again.

Netflix’s Cancelled ‘Warrior Nun’ Gets Resurrected After An Endless Fan Campaign
They did it. They actually did it. After seven months and roughly a thousand different Twitter hashtags, late last night, Warrior Nun showrunner Simon Barry announced that Warrior Nun will indeed return for a third season after Netflix unceremoniously cancelled it after two.

Barry was light on details, as in we have no idea where Warrior Nun will reappear, but he credited the “combined voices, passion and amazing efforts” of the Warrior Nun fanbase, who have devoted themselves to an almost fanatical campaign to bring the show back to life. And it worked.

I very much doubt that Netflix itself has picked up the show again, as that seems like it probably would have been part of the announcement, and my guess is that it got shopped elsewhere so someone could eat Netflix’s lunch and earn the devotion of the fanbase. There were countless campaigns pitching the show to every single streaming service out there, and one of them clearly bit in the end. HBO Max? Amazon? Hulu? Paramount Plus? Peacock? No clue yet, but it seems like Barry will elaborate more soon.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

I hope Lockwood & Co gets the same treatment. Another show Netflix canceled to quickly, IMHO.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk

stessier

Post by stessier »

I watched the whole second season yesterday and enjoyed it. I really hope the planned movies get made.

A question about the source material -
Spoiler:
Is there some common material for the Diablo video games and the Warrior Nun? Adriel and Lilith had a lot of overlap and it got me questioning if this is some well established history that I'm simply unaware of.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

There's this group called the Catholic Church. Their expanded universe and fanfic are wild.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
stessier

Post by stessier »

I was raised Catholic. I'm very familiar with the dogmatic stuff but all the fanfic is new to me.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

stessier wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 12:08 pm I was raised Catholic. I'm very familiar with the dogmatic stuff but all the fanfic is new to me.
So, Dante's Inferno is new? ;)

stessier

Post by stessier »

Pyperkub wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 2:56 pm
stessier wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 12:08 pm I was raised Catholic. I'm very familiar with the dogmatic stuff but all the fanfic is new to me.
Well I've never had to read it - so yes! :)
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

stessier wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 3:00 pm
Pyperkub wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 2:56 pm
Well I've never had to read it - so yes! :)
LOL, I recommend going to the far more amusing Inferno, by Niven and Pournelle!
Inferno, by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle, is a modern retelling and Deconstruction of the first part of The Divine Comedy, with Ontological Mystery elements. The protagonist is a science-fiction author named Allen Carpentier (real name Carpenter — he added the "i" to sound more interesting), who finds himself consigned to Hell after drunkenly falling off a window ledge at a convention. ...

...While the basic structure of the Inferno follows that laid out by Dante, Niven and Pournelle come up with interesting twists, and much is made of the Values Dissonance between the nature of Hell itself and Carpent(i)er's secular morals, as well as his attempts to explain Hell with science-fiction tropes