Best mask / face covering

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

stessier

Best mask / face covering

Post by stessier »

So what are people using? I've tried one from etsy which is okay, but doesn't fit great. I also tried these from the NFL that are unfortunately too hard to breathe through at work. I'm find if I sit in one place and work on the computer, but talking and/or walking quickly make it impossible to breathe.

I'm looking to try others, but would prefer help in narrowing the search rather than just try my shotgun approach which is going to get expensive rapidly in a four person household.

Ones I am considering -
  1. NFL (3 ply cotton with ear loops)
  2. NFL (single poly layer with head loops)
  3. Under Armour (polyester shell with polyurethane inner with ear loops)
I wear glasses so like the idea of a head loop rather than ear loop. What else should I look at?
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
AWS260

Re: Best mask / face covering

Post by AWS260 »

Enlarge Image
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I picked up five three layer cloth masks from a local craft store.

They are roughly equivalent of this I think

https://www.ecommunity.com/giveppe/home ... structions

I still haven't implemented a good work with glasses solution. Smoove recommended something like this but I haven't moved forward yet.

https://www.google.com/search?q=aluminu ... s&tbm=shop
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I'm interested in some reviews/opinions as well. Specifically masks suiting those with cabezas grande and/or who overheat easily.

The first ones I got from Etsy just don't work for me. Too small... the elastics tug my ears forward and fall off. I've ordered a couple other ones that were advertised as being extra large.

I'm generally trying to order from within Canada for shipping reasons, but I'd gladly import for the right mask.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
stessier

Post by stessier »

LordMortis wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:05 am I picked up five three layer cloth masks from a local craft store.

They are roughly equivalent of this I think

https://www.ecommunity.com/giveppe/home ... structions
That is similar to the one we got off etsy that doesn't fit great, but at least I can breathe with it on.

I'll look into those nose bridges - might help make the commercial ones fit better too.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

The ears thing is interesting. I wonder if that's just craftsmanship or small sizing or because I only wear my mask at most for a few hours at a time. I say it's weird because I can only assume I have a big head and ears set back far from the front of my head. I speculate this because the arms of my glasses have always been tight, bend outwards, and hurt my ears and too often don't seat right, as they want to pull forward.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Blue, pleated disposables that have an embedded twist tie for a nose clip.
Black Lives Matter
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

My wife made us all face masks with behind-the-head fabric ties, which are reasonably comfortable and readily adjustable. At first, my breath would move up through the mask, fogging my glasses, so she added a channel to hold a nose wire (a piece of pipe cleaner or floral wire), which solved that problem.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

I just use the surgical masks from work.

I have a box of N95s from the before times but they are uncomfortable for more than 20 minutes. They are the backup supply.

I do want to get a cloth mask or wrap for being out and about and I have yet to find a good mask for the gym/running.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
stessier

Post by stessier »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:14 am I have yet to find a good mask for the gym/running.
The Under Armour one linked above is theoretically for that purpose.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

AWS260 wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:10 am My wife made us all face masks with behind-the-head fabric ties, which are reasonably comfortable and readily adjustable. At first, my breath would move up through the mask, fogging my glasses, so she added a channel to hold a nose wire (a piece of pipe cleaner or floral wire), which solved that problem.
Nice. I have pipe cleaners somewhere. I might cut a hole in one of my masks to experiment with that solution.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

stessier wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:21 am
LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:14 am I have yet to find a good mask for the gym/running.
The Under Armour one linked above is theoretically for that purpose.
Guessing they're harder to find than swimming pools or ammo.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Whatever you do, don't get the MLB ones. The ties are on the wrong part of the mask, making them literally unwearable. Ask me how I know, I ordered some, got the unusable ones, asked for more, still unusable. They actually look like miniature thongs.
Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

Lorini wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:38 am Whatever you do, don't get the MLB ones. The ties are on the wrong part of the mask, making them literally unwearable. Ask me how I know, I ordered some, got the unusable ones, asked for more, still unusable. They actually look like miniature thongs.
Wait, so the ties are on the part that goes over the nose and under the chin? I'm sorry that happened to you, but the thought that it made it through a quality check is amusing to me. :D
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

In terms of face masks that provide protection against COVID-19 for the wearer, the SonoMask from Sonovia Tech may be a useful alternative to N-95 respiratators:

Israeli SonoMasks confirmed effective against Covid-19
ISRAEL21c.org wrote:A Chinese lab has proven the metal-oxide infused washable facemasks destroy more than 90% of the novel coronavirus.

Reusable antimicrobial SonoMasks from Israeli startup Sonovia Tech now are proven to be more than 90 percent effective against coronaviruses and 99.89% effective against other viruses, even up to 100 washings.

The cotton-polyester facemasks, sold online in four sizes, are infused with metal-oxide nanoparticles known to destroy bacteria and fungi, not just block them.

Tests at the Microspectrum lab in Shanghai in accordance with international standards confirm that the nanoparticles also are effective against the novel coronavirus, Sonovia announced this week.

Another successful test of the SonoMask was completed last month at an Austrian medical lab using Vaccinia, a virus similar to SARS coronaviruses such as Covid-19.

Liora Attias of Sonovia’s business development team tells ISRAEL21c, “We predict that with our commercially treated masks we will attain 99% effectivity against the novel coronavirus with fast-track European lab fabric test application.”

Sonovia reportedly is conducting a pilot in Italy to use its fabric in private and public transportation vehicles.

The Ramat Gan-based company launched the made-in-Israel facemasks commercially at the beginning of March after donating large quantities to hospitals in Israel and Germany, and to nonprofit charity organizations in Israel, France, Germany, South Africa and Australia.

“The daily production is several thousand masks, and sales are currently several hundred thousand units,” Attias says. “We are currently in the R&D phase for other PPE equipment.”

To better service American customers, Sonovia set up a fulfilment facility in Connecticut. Click here for details.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

Ive seen pictures of masks with hat combo. The hat (baseball cap) has a button above the ear, so the mask straps attach there, making it better for folks who find the ear strap uncomfortable. But, you also must like wearing a hat.

I got some of them Tmasks https://tmasks.com/ but I don't like how they touch my mouth. Anybody got a mask that doesn't touch their lips?

Enlarge Image
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

So far I've used the common disposable blue ones, this one from Hedley & Bennett, and this one from Take Care Supply. Of the latter two, I prefer the Hedley & Bennett by far, enough to have just purchased another set so I'll have enough for a 5-day work week. The Take Care mask fits fine and seems very protective, but it's a bit overly all-encompassing, and much harder to breathe through. After 10-20 minutes of the Take Care mask, I find myself wanting a break so I can get some full breaths.

The Hedley & Bennett one fits my face really well, and seems like just the right balance of filteryness and breathability. This mask review guy also picked H&B as his favorite, though he later says his wife found it soaked up sweat quickly and for her got hard to breathe through when it was wet.

Take Care uses top and bottom behind-the-head elastics, and H&B has elastic loops for behind each ear. Both of them have slots for filter inserts, and H&B includes a paper template for sizing and cutting out your own filter material.
naednek

Post by naednek »

Lorini wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:38 am Whatever you do, don't get the MLB ones. The ties are on the wrong part of the mask, making them literally unwearable. Ask me how I know, I ordered some, got the unusable ones, asked for more, still unusable. They actually look like miniature thongs.
That's just the Dodger's special edition :P
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

that H&B has got a good shape, and I like the filter option, but having to use doublesided tape is right out. I needs the metal bit to shape the nose, I don't think my family members would stand for that.
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Jaymon wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:27 am that H&B has got a good shape, and I like the filter option, but having to use doublesided tape is right out. I needs the metal bit to shape the nose, I don't think my family members would stand for that.
Where do you see double sided tape?

Enlarge Image
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Jaymon wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:27 am that H&B has got a good shape, and I like the filter option, but having to use doublesided tape is right out. I needs the metal bit to shape the nose, I don't think my family members would stand for that.
If you need a good fit around the nose, that mask review youtube guy recommends this one.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Sudy wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:09 am I'm generally trying to order from within Canada for shipping reasons, but I'd gladly import for the right mask.
Ottawa Public Health is maintaining a lengthy list of local and Canadian mask vendors.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I picked up a couple off of Etsy a while back. They're not perfect (comfort wise or glasses wise), but they didn't require taking out a loan, and they look better than the paper ones.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Jaymann wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:11 pm Image
Now that's what I'm talking about. Maybe some custom fitting would help. But I might have to pick me up one of those and make a mask and some Manhattans tonight.

MYT
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

I saw someone interviewed on the news last night wearing a properly fitted (from the looks of it anyway) Crown Royal mask. It's been ages since I've actually held one of the bags, but aren't they pretty thick material? Not sure on the breatheability level.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

stessier wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:58 am So what are people using? I've tried one from etsy which is okay, but doesn't fit great. I also tried these from the NFL that are unfortunately too hard to breathe through at work. I'm find if I sit in one place and work on the computer, but talking and/or walking quickly make it impossible to breathe.
I got the NHL version of these, and they aren't bad but unfortunately they are just a little too big for me. I can still wear it, but when I talk, the mask starts sliding down, and I constantly have to adjust it. I agree that it's too heavy for summer.

My brother's girlfriend made some masks, so I do have one that's your standard pleated fabric one, a bit thinner, but it has behind-the-head ties instead of ear loops. I have to wear my hair in a ponytail if I want to be able to tie the mask in the back of my head. So I much prefer ear loops - I'd totally buy the 1-ply NHL one, if it had those.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Jaymann wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:11 pm Image
I like it but that's gotta be hot. Also is that material a good filter?
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

It's just some random guy my daughter saw at Costco, I wasn't trying to start an ad campaign.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

stessier wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:58 amm find if I sit in one place and work on the computer, but talking and/or walking quickly make it impossible to breathe.
Anecdotally, that means you have good masks! If wearing your mask feels like you're wearing nothing at all, I'd question whether or not it's actually beneficial. To be clear, there should be minimal strain while sitting and working quietly, but I'd expect there to be issues from elevated breathing (like a quick walk).

I wish I could broadly recommend something, but like all things PPE so much comes down to personal fit. What works for one person might not work for another. It's going to be a mix of styles, fits and fabrics and there's no easy way to figure that out. I will say if the ear thing is a problem they have MacGyvered headbands and hats with buttons for the loops (if wearing headbands or baseball hats is possible at work).

I've been using peel and stick thin aluminum strips to keep the mask bend down around my nose (to help with glasses fogging). My masks were made by a woman in Utah via Etsy and they're great for me and short-term use. Not sure what I'd wear for an all-day mask. I'd probably be more inclined to not be in a mask all day, mainly because I know it sucks.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Hamlet3145

Post by Hamlet3145 »

For those of us with, um, prominent noses Target is selling two packs of cloth masks for $4. The large/XL size is the best I've tried so far in terms of comfort. :ninja:
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

bought one off an acquaintance that was making them. nothing about it fits right, lol
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:19 pm Anecdotally, that means you have good masks! If wearing your mask feels like you're wearing nothing at all, I'd question whether or not it's actually beneficial. To be clear, there should be minimal strain while sitting and working quietly, but I'd expect there to be issues from elevated breathing (like a quick walk).
This was not in the guideline when I was asking. I do not strain when moving about or talking. Of course that might change when I break down and do something to tighten the top of the mask to prevent glasses fogging.

I'll never get a good seal though. 20+ years of CPAP mask technology informs my decision on that.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

My wife has made several designs, but one thing is nobody has the same size face. They are not one size fits all. For me, as I am now wearing one 8 hours a day, it is the fit around the ears that is most important.
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

This was not in the guideline when I was asking.
Do you have facial hair that breaks the seal on the cloth mask (chin, cheeks and/or neck)?
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:48 pm
This was not in the guideline when I was asking.
Do you have facial hair that breaks the seal on the cloth mask (chin, cheeks and/or neck)?
I do, but not so much on my cheeks, eye area, and nose (even as old age tries to make me a liar) and that is where the air is free to move about (hence glasses steaming and crappy CPAP seals)
stessier

Post by stessier »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:19 pm
stessier wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:58 amm find if I sit in one place and work on the computer, but talking and/or walking quickly make it impossible to breathe.
Anecdotally, that means you have good masks! If wearing your mask feels like you're wearing nothing at all, I'd question whether or not it's actually beneficial. To be clear, there should be minimal strain while sitting and working quietly, but I'd expect there to be issues from elevated breathing (like a quick walk).
True, but a two ply mask that I can wear while I work is better than not wearing a 3-ply mask because I can't breathe. Since the hard to breathe ones are all I have, I've taken to walking at a pace that allows me to continue to breathe through my nose which allow me to survive. Stairs and long conversations, though, are a challenge.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Even with my big head and nose the surgical masks fit loosely. I find that I can tie a very small loop in the very middle of each elastic and that gives me a good fit.

Funny, I've never seen any instructions on which way the blue side is supposed to go? I've always worn the blue side on the outside so far. Hopefully I'm correct? LOL
Last edited by em2nought on Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Four more years!" "Pause." LMAO
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

stessier wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:09 pmTrue, but a two ply mask that I can wear while I work is better than not wearing a 3-ply mask because I can't breathe. Since the hard to breathe ones are all I have, I've taken to walking at a pace that allows me to continue to breathe through my nose which allow me to survive. Stairs and long conversations, though, are a challenge.
All true. It's one of the reasons I'm wondering how teachers/professors are going to give instruction in masks. Maybe set up prison visit booths in your workplace for longer meetings? :D
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

em2nought wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:23 pm Funny, I've never seen any instructions on which way the blue side is supposed to go? I've always worn the blue side on the outside so far. Hopefully I'm correct? LOL
Reverse it every other time you put it on and be guaranteed correct 50% of the time.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra