Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Kelric

Re: Community Appreciation Post

Post by Kelric »

Ugh, you're all still here?
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Nope. Figments of your poor, pathetic imagination.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Kelric wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:05 pm Ugh, you're all still here?
Says the boy whose only job was to yell, "Last call!" about 15 years ago.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

You all suck, and I hate you.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

is Bad_Demographic still around? she's the last OOer i talked to in person and that was some years ago (just a few days before she relocated to the American Southwest).

in a way, it's too bad gaming is so incredibly fragmented now - impossible to find people i know for MP sessions.
Brian

Post by Brian »

hitbyambulance wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:49 am is Bad_Demographic still around? she's the last OOer i talked to in person and that was some years ago (just a few days before she relocated to the American Southwest).
She's still around. She, along with her husband, join us for regular gaming sessions every Thur and Sun.
"Us" being Blackhawk and myself and anybody else that happens along.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

hitbyambulance wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:49 am is Bad_Demographic still around? she's the last OOer i talked to in person and that was some years ago (just a few days before she relocated to the American Southwest).

in a way, it's too bad gaming is so incredibly fragmented now - impossible to find people i know for MP sessions.
I saw her in ESO a couple months back.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Since joining in 2004 Ive shared jokes and laughs, hard times, and more than I should :). Been through rough times and good times. Great times even. Ive grown in many ways. Learned things. Helped others and been helped. Traded games. Had wonderful fun with the Xmas gift game exchange with Steam. Ive argued, taken breaks, and come back better I think. I thank this community and those of you who share it with me.

I enjoy posting things I find interesting or think you may. I smile if that is how it works out. Im saddened when others find my post upsetting or just wrong. I seem to need positive results more than I should. Again Ive grown.

All and all a good ride. So far. :)

But let me take one moment here. This community and you fellow members were there from day one when my wife had to rush to the hospital. You provided such needed help with advice, well wishes, and donations. You are the reason that even before my wife could wake up and open her eyes that she smiled then instantly had a happy cry face. A good reason when she knew that someone cared. You could see it on her face that day. And still since that time you've kept my spirits up and helped with things I could not afford on my own to buy or fix. Ill never forget any of that. But lightening the spirits of my wife I can never thank you enough.

Damn Im crying. Im going to bed. Be well all. Glad Im here with you. I have insomnia again. Always when I have to go some place. Its why Im up posting :)
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Thank you for that beautiful post. That means a lot.
Covfefe!
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

hepcat wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:01 am Thank you for that beautiful post. That means a lot.
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

Since my job has frequently been not being serious....
Jeff V wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:42 pm
Kelric wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:05 pm Ugh, you're all still here?
Says the boy whose only job was to yell, "Last call!" about 15 years ago.
Pad.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

For the past several years one of my favorite things to do in games is name the characters after people on OO. So almost every RPG i play has a Yellowking, a DBT, and various other members. I really don't know why, but it makes the characters more personal.

On a side note, never name the Bard "Hepcat". Unless you want him to be a chaotic/good character.
FTE
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Blackhawk wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:38 am
Lassr wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:07 am
Blackhawk wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:51 pm FWIW, I have specific instructions with two different people that should I engage in unscheduled bucket-kicking, they're to post here and notify everyone. I will not go quietly into that good night!
I'm friends with a few of you on Facebook, hopefully someone would post in here in if I met my untimely demise. Of course as Austin pointed out, after a while I forget the OO name of some of the Facebook friends.
What we need is for the admin to pin a post in the Facebook group that we can all use to post our OO-FB names.
DONE!

While we are reminiscing - I can't believe no one has mentioned the naughty, controversial EBG/R&P based vignettes someone here created using the "game" "The Movies". I remember those vaguely as the nerd's equivalent of a rap battle. :D
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I remember them but I wasn't as impressed with them as a lot of people were.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Scraper wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:17 am For the past several years one of my favorite things to do in games is name the characters after people on OO. So almost every RPG i play has a Yellowking, a DBT, and various other members. I really don't know why, but it makes the characters more personal.

On a side note, never name the Bard "Hepcat". Unless you want him to be a chaotic/good character.
That's a great idea, I only did that with Lord Corwin. Recently I went with Karen, Becky, Miss Anne and Chad.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
MHS

Post by MHS »

Scraper wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:17 am For the past several years one of my favorite things to do in games is name the characters after people on OO. So almost every RPG i play has a Yellowking, a DBT, and various other members. I really don't know why, but it makes the characters more personal.

I've done that when playing Worms. But then I feel bad when one of them dies.

On topic, I don't think anyone can be more appreciative of this place than I. I gained a spouse, some very good friends, unbelievable amounts of support through our marriage and my kidney transplant, meetups when I (used to) travel...I consider most of you family. Especially the ones who actually are, but not just them.

:wub:
Black Lives Matter. No human is illegal. Women's rights are human rights. Love is love. Science is real. Kindness is everything.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

I remember being a dwarf in the AAR, The Wire style run through of Myth :The Fallen Lords at one point. That was fun while it lasted!
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Scraper wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:17 am So almost every RPG i play has a DBT
Is that what you named the goat? ;)
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Koz

Post by Koz »

Oh man this thread is a trip down memory lane. I remember posting on GG when I was in college and now I'm almost 40. :shock:

I relocated to various parts of the internet but usually checked back here every few months. Glad to see so many familiar names still keeping the lights on.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Koz, were you the one with the avatar of the little emoticon spearman attacking the tank?

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:05 am
Kraken wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:00 am It took me 15 years to figure out that Blackhawk and Daehawk are two different people.
:?
I've always felt you had a higher Word Count to Breasts Posted ratio, if that helps. :D

I came here after I lost my last gaming group forum in a real-life relationship breakup. I had met my ex through that forum, and I no longer felt comfortable posting life stories there knowing she'd read them all so I bailed. I recently went back to look at that forum and had to hit the Wayback Machine to discover that it had been shut down in January of this year. I couldn't suss out the reason, but I expect the admin just got tired of paying for it. He never took up collections to help, and kept the forum there alive by himself for almost 17 years.

I was never around the Gone Gold forums, but have seen it referenced quite a bit.

The folks here are honestly the closest thing I have to friends; there are no co-workers I hang out with, no one I know from school. OO is my first stop every morning at work, and I keep it up all day long. I couldn't not have a group of rational, regular people to talk games and general life issues with. I appreciate each and every one of you as a unique ecosystem on the internet, even the folks I may consistently disagree with. You've all been relatively patient with me, and my stories about my wife. I'm quiet on the evenings and weekends because this place is my sanctuary where I can express myself without worrying about having to justify every thought I have if she interprets it incorrectly.

I worry sometimes that if I were to die suddenly, there'd be no way to get a message back here to let you know I've passed. I've considered leaving instructions for my wife to find this place in that event so she can see the decade+ of posts I've made about my life and thoughts and maybe learn a little more about me than she knows now.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Paingod wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:49 am
Kraken wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:00 am It took me 15 years to figure out that Blackhawk and Daehawk are two different people.
I've always felt you had a higher Word Count to Breasts Posted ratio, if that helps. :D
We are both poor and living in rural areas, and we both have names ending in '...hawk.'

Beyond that, I think our philosophies, styles, and approaches to life's problems are pretty far apart.

I just dislike the idea of some of Dae's ideas and views being attributed to me (and I assume the reverse is true for him.)
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Blackhawk wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:28 amI think our philosophies, styles, and approaches to life's problems are pretty far apart.
That's what I said!

FWIW, I think the only thing Kraken was referring to is the last part, the "...hawk" - not the rest.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Paingod wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:49 am I worry sometimes that if I were to die suddenly, there'd be no way to get a message back here to let you know I've passed. I've considered leaving instructions for my wife to find this place in that event so she can see the decade+ of posts I've made about my life and thoughts and maybe learn a little more about me than she knows now.
I have two different people from real life with accounts on OO (Naughty Penguin - aka Michelle, and TigerRider67 - my friend) who have specific instructions to post on OO should anything happen to me. And my youngest, Caiden (Mr. Mustard) is in regular contact with Bad Demographic and is on the OO Discord server. One way or another word would get back here.
Koz

Post by Koz »

Sudy wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:25 am Koz, were you the one with the avatar of the little emoticon spearman attacking the tank?
Not I, but I do remember that avatar as well.

Oh man I forgot about :hawk:. It's totally a bird carrying a fish, right?
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Koz wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:28 am
Sudy wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:25 am Koz, were you the one with the avatar of the little emoticon spearman attacking the tank?
Not I, but I do remember that avatar as well.

Oh man I forgot about :hawk:. It's totally a bird carrying a fish, right?
Hawk carrying a gerbil into the sunset.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Blackhawk wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:28 am
Paingod wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:49 am
We are both poor and living in rural areas, and we both have names ending in '...hawk.'

Beyond that, I think our philosophies, styles, and approaches to life's problems are pretty far apart.

I just dislike the idea of some of Dae's ideas and views being attributed to me (and I assume the reverse is true for him.)
I have repeatedly confused Daehawk with Naednek. Same length, a lot of the same letters. I think I have it down now, though.
Black Lives Matter.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Paingod wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:36 am
Blackhawk wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:28 amI think our philosophies, styles, and approaches to life's problems are pretty far apart.
That's what I said!

FWIW, I think the only thing Kraken was referring to is the last part, the "...hawk" - not the rest.
I tend to read posts superficially and without regard to their authors' history or persona. The -hawks were interchangeable that way. But mostly, I was joking.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

In fairness, I confused Ironrod with Steelshaft for the longest time.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Sudy wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:01 pm In fairness, I confused Ironrod with Steelshaft for the longest time.
Really? I thought he was Dirk Wood. I seem to recall TheMeal confusing him with Festick.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I confuse Kraken with Ironrod all the time. Their posting style is so similar.
:D
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:28 pm
LordMortis wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:24 pmBut much more importantly, I'm always happy when someone finds their happy and their happy don't hurt nobody. :obscene-drinkingcheers: Eel!!! May your euphoria turn to general state of comfort with being.
The older I get, this is becoming clearer and clearer. Our meatbags are here for such a short period of time, really the best we can wish for anyone is that they find some happiness.
I learned that here (or was that on GG?) I used to piss on entertainment threads when I didn't like or understand them. And then, over time, I get a sense for "why am I expending energy to get in the way of someone else's happy?" I don't get anything out of it. They don't get anything out of it. And then you realize, you're the bad guy. And for what? Ultimately, it's a grumpiness shed from my life and I'm better for it. Another reason to say "Thank you, OO."
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

For me that's like the gaming forum. I used to more than happy to let it be known I didn't like the new game coming out. Then I too, realize I wasn't contributing anything so I stopped. And to a lesser degree in the Everything But Gaming threads too.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

dbt1949 wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:09 pm For me that's like the gaming forum. I used to more than happy to let it be known I didn't like the new game coming out. Then I too, realize I wasn't contributing anything so I stopped. And to a lesser degree in the Everything But Gaming threads too.
Ah, but your emoji bombs always added to my happiness!
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

If I posted about all the games I don't like, Isgrimnur would have to put the #2 back in his signature.

As far as community appreciation. You all, generally speaking, don't suck!
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

coopasonic wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:44 pm If I posted about all the games I don't like, Isgrimnur would have to put the #2 back in his signature.

As far as community appreciation. You all, generally speaking, don't suck!
Boy, that's some solid praise coming from you! :)