Teaching kids to drive

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Blackhawk

Re: Teaching kids to drive

Post by Blackhawk »

Jeff V wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:41 am
Blackhawk wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:12 am I need to make sure it isn't full of nails and broken glass.
Changing flat tires is another skill that's part of driving.
When it's my mother-in-law's borrowed car, they can learn on non-flat tires. Hell, I should just look at it as an opportunity for free tire rotation.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Driving stick is another of those things I "know" how to do (I've owned stick vehicles), but haven't done in so long that I'd have to re-teach myself before I could teach someone else. My last stick vehicle gave up the ghost, oh... 25 years ago this month.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

I feel like dormant muscle memory would kick in and I'd be able to drive a stick without issue if the need arose, but it's been a long time. I'm glad I initially learned how to drive on stick, though, because everything was easy after that!
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I had an old Dodge pickup with three on the column. I drove the shite out of that truck, even replaced the engine once. Finally the clutch was going out and I sold it for like $100. For years I had nightmares of driving it with no clutch or no brakes and an expired registration.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I'd be able to get it there, but I can guarantee I'd stall, jerk, and sputter it a few times in the process.

I wouldn't mind teaching the kids stick, but I have absolutely no idea where I'd even borrow such a creature these days. I haven't even seen one in forever.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

I believe Kraken's Miata is stick. I'm sure he'd be happy to loan you his car for teaching your kids!
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

ImLawBoy wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:24 am I believe Kraken's Miata is stick. I'm sure he'd be happy to loan you his car for teaching your kids!
Sure, just come and pick it up, and I'll need it back by Thursday. It's nearly three years old and has just over 6,000 miles on the odometer, so it spends 99% of its time just sitting in the garage.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

I can confirm that driving a manual transmission after two decades of not driving one, it comes back quick. I hadn’t driven stick since the late 90’s and had to drive stick in Scotland, with the manual stick on the left and driving on the wrong side of the road.

Took less than 5 minutes, although you might burn a little extra clutch at first as your adjusting to it.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

RunningMn9 wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:43 am I can confirm that driving a manual transmission after two decades of not driving one, it comes back quick. I hadn’t driven stick since the late 90’s and had to drive stick in Scotland, with the manual stick on the left and driving on the wrong side of the road.

Took less than 5 minutes, although you might burn a little extra clutch at first as your adjusting to it.
I ended up driving a VW van in England with a manual and getting used to shifting with the left hand was decidedly odd. But it wasn't too bad. As long as there was traffic I stayed on the correct side of the road, but there were a few times late at night when the roads were quiet that my instincts took hold as I pulled out of a parking lot and pulled into the right lane instead. :)
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Blackhawk wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:12 am Thanks, everyone. And there are tons of straight, flat roads around here that are more-or-less empty. I'm still brainstorming a parking lot. I have one idea, but it isn't huge, and I'll need to take a better look when I can get out there. It's a hospital that's been closed for probably 15 years, and I need to make sure it isn't full of nails and broken glass.
Roads are better practical training anyway, if you can find a safe, empty one. A very small amount of traffic isn't bad thing either, just avoid those rural roads where people go 50mph plus.

Parking lots are good for specifics like cornering, parking, backing up, etc.

Also, didn't think of this before but do you or a neighbor have a long driveway? My first driving was on our long driveway and various private access lanes.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Kraken wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:54 am
ImLawBoy wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:24 am I believe Kraken's Miata is stick. I'm sure he'd be happy to loan you his car for teaching your kids!
Sure, just come and pick it up, and I'll need it back by Thursday. It's nearly three years old and has just over 6,000 miles on the odometer, so it spends 99% of its time just sitting in the garage.
That's like mine! Though mine is automatic. I haven't looked recently, but I think it's still less than 40k on it. And it's a 2007.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Blackhawk wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:41 am It's likely going to have to be back roads rather than open spaces.
That's where I learned and I haven't killed anyone (in a driving accident) yet! Wa that parenthetical really necessary? Let's not worry about that.

We are less than a year out from our oldest being eligible to get his permit. I learned on my dad's 4 speed Ford Pinto wagon. My son will learn in my 1 speed (what speed? too much speed!) Tesla. Do you think the person giving him his test will care if he has the car parallel park itself? I've only used the self-parking ability in my car once and that was in a garage, not parallel parking. I should try that some time.

Anyway, back roads are good. Paved back roads would be better, paved back roads not lined with huge ditches would be even more better. Don't ask me how I know any of these things.

The biggest challenge for me was understanding that the car behaves very differently at different speeds. Low vs high speed maneuvering are not the same. Luckily I learned that by screwing up a low speed maneuver and not the other way around.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I've killed two living things since I was first driving.

A squirrel that ran out of nowhere then decided to go back...too late. I felt bad for days.

A dog. I had just started from a red light on the highway bypass and gotten to about 45 mph and looked off for a split second. When I looked back the dog was RIGHT there walking from right to left and already in my left lane. It also was not looking. My fault though. I hit it and instantly pulled over and jumped out with a blanket. I scooped it up and put it in my back seat when a guy pulled up. He asked if all was ok. I told him I hit a dog and was going to take it to the vet. At that moment it woke from being knocked out and screamed once and was gone. God I cried all the way home and buried it with our own little pets from over the years and said a prayer. I kept a look out in the paper, online and called local vets to see if anyone was missing a dog in that area. I checked for papers on telephone poles and such. Id drive out of my way to look around the area. Never saw a thing. I felt bad on that for years. In fact earlier this year when cleaning those graves I cried again and talked to it apologizing, Man I HATE hurting an animal. :( I still wonder if I coulda done more to miss it or not hurt it so much.

I try to be even more careful since then...that was 2010. I go slower on back roads. And if I see an animal like a dog or squirrel I slow waaaay down and even stop to wait on it to do its thing. Take no chances.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Daveman

Post by Daveman »

In Delaware back in the 80s we all took driver's education classes in HS that included time behind a wheel. My son went through a similar process last year in NJ and it was largely the same except that the behind the wheel instruction was done with a private driver instructor. I took my son on my own now and then and helped him brush up on parallel parking.

My experience in DE was funny. The learner permit age was 16 so everyone took drivers ed as a sophomore. I was nearly a full year younger than my classmates (never asked my parents how that happened) so I took the class but had to wait a year before I could get my permit.

At the end of the class my teacher said he was prioritizing the 16 year old students for scheduling drive time. I went out once, just to fiddle around in the parking lot and nearby neighborhood. He told me to see him next year when I was close to 16 and we'd go driving more.

So next school year I stop by and he just signed all the paperwork instead and sent me on my way. Learned the rest myself.

Learning to drive manual was a pain. My mother inherited a manual car from someone in D.C. and I was chosen to go pick it up, get a crash course in driving and then bring it back. I then had to teach her and that was a real joy.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Get a cheap go kart. It will also introduce them to mechanical "things".

There are driving school apps to put it in their language too. https://play.google.com/store/apps/coll ... s&hl=en_US
Stop funding for NPR
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Here in TN a learners permit is age 15 then license at 16. But I didn't get mine until I was 17. Had my permit at 15 or 16. Looking online it seems TN has really made it a lot harder to get a drivers license now. In the 80s when I got mine you took an eye exam. Filled out a simple test. Then drove around the block.

This is what it says now.
Must be at least 16 years of age. Must have held a valid learner permit for a minimum of 180 days. Must have 50 hours of behind the wheel driving experience (including 10 hours of night driving). A 50-Hour Certification form must be signed by your parent, guardian or driving instructor confirming this experience.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Daehawk wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:40 pm Here in TN a learners permit is age 15 then license at 16. But I didn't get mine until I was 17. Had my permit at 15 or 16. Looking online it seems TN has really made it a lot harder to get a drivers license now. In the 80s when I got mine you took an eye exam. Filled out a simple test. Then drove around the block.

This is what it says now.
Must be at least 16 years of age. Must have held a valid learner permit for a minimum of 180 days. Must have 50 hours of behind the wheel driving experience (including 10 hours of night driving). A 50-Hour Certification form must be signed by your parent, guardian or driving instructor confirming this experience.
That sounds like the changes they made in Michigan. They also restrict your license from 16 to 18 IIRC. They did not do that for us. So basically there is no joy riding until you are 18. Before then you need to be pretty much doing work/school or be with an adult. (21? 25? Something) Funny thing. There was no outrage at the changes. Kids don't generally see driving as the freedom we did.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Its a strange world alright :)
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

LordMortis wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:45 pm

That sounds like the changes they made in Michigan. They also restrict your license from 16 to 18 IIRC. They did not do that for us. So basically there is no joy riding until you are 18. Before then you need to be pretty much doing work/school or be with an adult. (21? 25? Something) Funny thing. There was no outrage at the changes. Kids don't generally see driving as the freedom we did.
It's that way in Indiana, too. It's considered a 'probationary license' with all sorts of restrictions until the age of 21.
geezer

Post by geezer »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:56 pm I'd suggest following the recommendations from Popular Mechanics:

15 Tips for Teaching a Teenager to Drive
PopularMechanics.com wrote:If you are the instructor, start by telling your student that [1] THE HANDS ON THE WHEEL SHOULD BE AT 3 O'CLOCK AND 9 O'CLOCK (not 2 and 10). This allows for maximum rotation with minimal exertion—meaning greater control.

[2] RELAXED ARMS ALSO INCREASE CONTROL. "Why?" your pupil might ask. The answer is that relaxed muscles respond faster than tense ones. On the flip side, many factors decrease control; a chief one is distracted driving.

[3] TELL YOUR STUDENT TO STAY FOCUSED, WHICH OFTEN TRANSLATES TO "PUT THE SMARTPHONE OUT OF REACH." Using one behind the wheel robs you of 37 percent of the brain power that could otherwise be applied to driving, according to a Carnegie Mellon University study.

Have you ever met a teenager who responds well to scolding? Okay, so when you're giving a lesson, [4] KEEP THE MOOD LIGHT. To do this

[5] IGNORE SLIP-UPS AND PRAISE GOOD PRACTICES. ("Nice lane position. I like how you keep checking your mirrors.") Positive reinforcement makes good habits stick. If that's too soft for you, consider this:

[6] NOTHING TEACHES A DRIVER HOW TO DEAL WITH A CRISIS LIKE PARKING-LOT DONUTS. Instructor Bill Wade of Tire Rack Street Survival suggests having a student driver push a car to extremes on a deserted asphalt expanse.

For example, [7] WITH THE CAR UP TO SPEED, GIVE THE ORDER TO TURN ABRUPTLY AND KEEP ACCELERATING; sharp cornering and even skidding in a controlled environment beats doing those things in an emergency. If the car skids (that is, oversteers), the car's weight shifts forward and the rear end fishtails.

[8] DURING OVERSTEER, TELL YOUR PUPIL TO TAP THE BRAKES AND SLOWLY TURN THE AWAY FROM THE DIRECTION OF THE SKID in order to regain control.

Now [9] HAVE YOUR STUDENT GET THE CAR ROLLING AT 30 MPH OR SO, AND MASH THE BRAKE PEDAL TO THE FLOORBOARD. Your pupil will learn the odd, pulsing feeling of the antilock braking system—and to keep applying pressure in spite of it.

Wade says to [10] GIVE VACANT-LOT LESSONS IN ALL WEATHER CONDITIONS SO THE DRIVER CAN FIND OUT HOW THE CAR BEHAVES ON WET, ICY, OR SNOWY PAVEMENT.

The last can also help teach parallel parking: [11] SET UP TWO CONES IN THE LOT ABOUT 20 FEET APART, AND AFTER YOUR STUDENT GUIDES THE CAR INTO PLACE, HAVE HIM OR HER GET OUT AND LOOK AT THE TRACKS IN THE SNOW—visual evidence of a job well done.

When your student graduates to the road, [12] INSTRUCT HIM OR HER TO SCAN FOR "EXIT POINTS"; VEERING INTO A GRASSY MEDIA IS PREFERABLE TO A COLLISION. This sounds obvious, but there's an exception:

[13] IF AN ANIMAL RUNS INTO THE CAR'S PATH, A DRIVER IS MORE LIKELY TO AVOID PERSONAL INJURY BY HITTING THE CRITTER THAN BY JERKING THE WHEEL TO AVOID IT. This rule is void if the animal is a moose.

Encourage your student to [14] LEARN TO DRIVE STICK. It enhances the feeling of human and machine working in harmony and increases confidence.

Finally, [15] CONSIDER PRO LESSONS. At the Skip Barber Racing School, for instance, young drivers go from the classroom to the test track to learn such things as accident avoidance at high speeds. Arrive alive!
Jeebus. 6,7, and 8 are well intended but frighteningly incomplete.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I dont think Id want to be in that car. At all.

I think a horse taught my grandma how to drive. One that was jealous of cars taking over. An angry jealous horse. Yep. Id swear to that in court.

I forgot about cell phones. Wasn't a thing in my day. For sure hammer it home to never use one when driving or answer one. Pull off or park first.
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:06 pmRoads are better practical training anyway, if you can find a safe, empty one.
I've had more than one person 'forget' which pedal is the brake pedal while I was teaching them. This is why I start people in an empty lot. Too many unpredictable things can happen on a public road. A private road won't have those issues but I like to have learners drive around, making turns and circles and so on to make sure they can control the car no matter which way they need to go at any moment. Unless you can find a very wide private and empty road then teaching them on a road is basically limited to them driving in a straight line. I've also noticed that anyone who tends to be nervous at the idea of learning to drive has more confidence in themselves if they've been able to log a lot of safe practice time before mingling with other cars on the road. The most important training is the on road portion since that's the training that will lead to a license. I just like to see the learner feel like that's the 'easy' part once I take them on the road because they've already driven the car so much.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Some people are just simply nervous drivers. And they dont seem to improve. Its just totally frightening to them. Others are at ease and slip right into the driving groove no problem.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Daehawk wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:07 pm Its just totally frightening to them.
It should be. It's the ones that aren't concerned that I'm scared of.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

coopasonic wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:55 am
Daehawk wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:07 pm Its just totally frightening to them.
It should be. It's the ones that aren't concerned that I'm scared of.
And yet an unconfident driver scares me. Anxiety and driving are not a good mix.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Yeah, there is definitely a balance.

My car is an anxious driver and it bothers me too.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

Overconfidence is not good, it can lead to carelessness. But if you're getting on the freeway and there's some traffic in the right lane, you need to be confident. You have seconds to decide where you are merging in and how much faster/slower your car needs to be going to make that happen. The last thing anyone needs is an indecisive driver in that position.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

RunningMn9 wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:43 am I can confirm that driving a manual transmission after two decades of not driving one, it comes back quick. I hadn’t driven stick since the late 90’s and had to drive stick in Scotland, with the manual stick on the left and driving on the wrong side of the road.

My starter needed new brushes so I drove around Scotland for a month with the starter in a box in my backseat until I could catch a ferry/train ride over to Volvo. :mrgreen:
Stop funding for NPR
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

gameoverman wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:33 pm Overconfidence is not good, it can lead to carelessness. But if you're getting on the freeway and there's some traffic in the right lane, you need to be confident. You have seconds to decide where you are merging in and how much faster/slower your car needs to be going to make that happen. The last thing anyone needs is an indecisive driver in that position.
I would rather have confidence than insecurity when it comes to driving. Indecision is a killer.
Black Lives Matter