Today's 49ers gameImage

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
El Guapo

Re: [Anticipation] NFL 2020 Season

Post by El Guapo »

$iljanus wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:37 am
gameoverman wrote:
McNutt wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:41 pm Do Atlanta's special team players know that they can jump on the onside kick before it goes 10 yards? I really don't think they know that.
That was the most embarrassing onside kick recovery I have ever seen.
I just watched the replay on that and it sure did look like #41 on Atlanta was just watching the ball bounce along for a couple of yards.
I think they were mesmerized by how the football was spinning.
I think the issue is that if you don't think that the ball will make it ten yards, arguably you don't want to try to get the ball, because the risk is that you wind up touching the ball and not recovering it. Once you touch it, it becomes live and the kicking team can recover. And one of the tricks with that kick is that the spinning both made it look a lot like the ball wasn't going to make it 10 yards, and also made it more likely that they muff the recovery and turn it into a live ball.
Black Lives Matter.
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

Yeah, I might mock them but I remember that Green Bay/Seattle game where the GB player tried to be a hero. It's a tough spot. If you do nothing, then the opposing team WILL jump on that ball immediately past 10 yards. That means they will have the initiative while your team is at best diving for the ball at the same time. If you dive for the ball first then it's all or nothing. Either you recover it and win or you have just handed handed the game to the other team.

In my opinion, given that they had just blown a substantial lead and were in danger of losing, if I was on Atlanta I'd go for the ball. I know some people don't believe in 'momentum' in football games but I do. When the opposing team gains momentum you need to shut that down at all costs. Dallas was on a roll and recovering that kick would have stopped it. Not recovering means they would probably lose but hoping the ball doesn't go 10 yards is too passive for me to want to rely on for the win.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

El Guapo wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:23 am
gameoverman wrote:
McNutt wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:41 pm Do Atlanta's special team players know that they can jump on the onside kick before it goes 10 yards? I really don't think they know that.
I just watched the replay on that and it sure did look like #41 on Atlanta was just watching the ball bounce along for a couple of yards.
I think the issue is that if you don't think that the ball will make it ten yards, arguably you don't want to try to get the ball, because the risk is that you wind up touching the ball and not recovering it. Once you touch it, it becomes live and the kicking team can recover. And one of the tricks with that kick is that the spinning both made it look a lot like the ball wasn't going to make it 10 yards, and also made it more likely that they muff the recovery and turn it into a live ball.
That makes sense. And the kicker did put a good spin on it!
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

just so ya'll know, I have an uncontrollable and unreasonable and highly emotional hatred of cam newton. it started when he declared himself to be superman. thats not how this works, ya jackass, You can be superman after you save the world, not after you throw a few footballs.
so my heart nearly exploded with glee when the seahawks stuffed him on the final play last night. ooh look at me, I am cam superman newton, I can just walk in for a touchdown whenever I want, laa dee daa well nuts to him man. nuts to him.
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Jaymon wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:12 pm just so ya'll know, I have an uncontrollable and unreasonable and highly emotional hatred of cam newton. it started when he declared himself to be superman. thats not how this works, ya jackass, You can be superman after you save the world, not after you throw a few footballs.
so my heart nearly exploded with glee when the seahawks stuffed him on the final play last night. ooh look at me, I am cam superman newton, I can just walk in for a touchdown whenever I want, laa dee daa well nuts to him man. nuts to him.
I had the same objection to Dwight Howard, but then he became a Laker. Funny that he had to humble himself for minimum salary, but finally has a chance to win a ring.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Jaymann wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:12 pm
Jaymon wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:12 pm just so ya'll know, I have an uncontrollable and unreasonable and highly emotional hatred of cam newton. it started when he declared himself to be superman. thats not how this works, ya jackass, You can be superman after you save the world, not after you throw a few footballs.
I had the same objection to Dwight Howard, but then he became a Laker. Funny that he had to humble himself for minimum salary, but finally has a chance to win a ring.
Do you two both work for LexCorp?
Black Lives Matter.
stessier

Post by stessier »

El Guapo wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:23 am
gameoverman wrote:

Spoiler:
Emmanuel Acho @EmmanuelAcho
Players knew the rules. They were scared. You’re either hero or zero.

Front line rules are: if the ball is “hot” let it go the 2nd level. If the ball is dying make a judgement call. Either let it die, or attack it & don’t guess.

The problem: The ball didn’t die.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Jim Caldwell: 36-28, 3 winning seasons and reached the playoffs twice in 4 years. Fired by the Lions.

Mike Patrica: 9-24-1, no winning seasons, no playoffs. Still coaching the Lions.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

ImLawBoy wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:52 pm One fun thing. The Bears had an apparent interception return for a TD in the fourth quarter called back for PI. When the ref announced it, whoever was running the crowd noise booed the ref. :D
I can't remember the exact play this happened on, but I swear that the Philly crowd noise operator played the boo noise at the Eagles at least once yesterday.
Black Lives Matter
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote:
ImLawBoy wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:52 pm One fun thing. The Bears had an apparent interception return for a TD in the fourth quarter called back for PI. When the ref announced it, whoever was running the crowd noise booed the ref. :D
I can't remember the exact play this happened on, but I swear that the Philly crowd noise operator played the boo noise at the Eagles at least once yesterday.
LOL. Now they just have to throw batteries at field!
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:54 pm
I think it was when Santa Claus peeked out of the walkway.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

I think the Raiders' stadium is the one stadium that looks better without people in the seats. The field looks hyper real too, it's all very futuristic. If I could go back in time and show a clip of this game to my kid self my kid self would have his mind blown. Then he'd ask "Why are the refs wearing masks? Is it because they have to keep their identities secret? Are fans that dangerous in the future? No wonder the stadium is empty."
naednek

Post by naednek »

gameoverman wrote:I think the Raiders' stadium is the one stadium that looks better without people in the seats. The field looks hyper real too, it's all very futuristic. If I could go back in time and show a clip of this game to my kid self my kid self would have his mind blown. Then he'd ask "Why are the refs wearing masks? Is it because they have to keep their identities secret? Are fans that dangerous in the future? No wonder the stadium is empty."
Thats because the field is real. It gets rolled outside for sun when its not being used

El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

gameoverman wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:04 am I think the Raiders' stadium is the one stadium that looks better without people in the seats. The field looks hyper real too, it's all very futuristic. If I could go back in time and show a clip of this game to my kid self my kid self would have his mind blown. Then he'd ask "Why are the refs wearing masks? Is it because they have to keep their identities secret? Are fans that dangerous in the future? No wonder the stadium is empty."
That makes sense. It's the only stadium that's routinely full of Raiders fans.
Black Lives Matter.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Speaking of refs wearing masks, I noticed some stupidity during the Bears-Giants game. When a group of 4 or 5 refs got together to discuss a call, all but one pulled down their masks, only to put them back up once they separated from each other. That . . . that's not how it's supposed to work.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Well the NFL just assessed more than a million dollars in fines to coaches and teams for not wearing masks. And I'm sure more are incoming after last night.
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Raiders just need to design some Darth Vader masks.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
naednek

Post by naednek »

i think the whole fining thing is silly. I mean you have players without masks on the field and on the sidelines, not wearing masks. But the coaches are the problem.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

naednek wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:34 am i think the whole fining thing is silly. I mean you have players without masks on the field and on the sidelines, not wearing masks. But the coaches are the problem.
The coaches are required to wear masks. The players are not.
Hodor.
stessier

Post by stessier »

pr0ner wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:02 pm
naednek wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:34 am i think the whole fining thing is silly. I mean you have players without masks on the field and on the sidelines, not wearing masks. But the coaches are the problem.
I think his point is with everyone being tested daily, it doesn't make a lot of sense to require the coaches to wear masks when the players don't.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

stessier wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:06 pm
I think his point is with everyone being tested daily, it doesn't make a lot of sense to require the coaches to wear masks when the players don't.
Perhaps. But there's definitely an image thing that the NFL is trying to promote with mask wearing for coaches. I have no problem with coaches breaking the rules getting fined over it.
Hodor.
stessier

Post by stessier »

pr0ner wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:10 pm
Perhaps. But there's definitely an image thing that the NFL is trying to promote with mask wearing for coaches. I have no problem with coaches breaking the rules getting fined over it.
The image is flawed. If they are serious, the players should put on masks on the sideline. Everyone should be spaced 6' apart at a minimum. But that is not what's happening, so they might as well just stop forcing the masks.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

stessier wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:17 pm
pr0ner wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:10 pm
The image is flawed. If they are serious, the players should put on masks on the sideline. Everyone should be spaced 6' apart at a minimum. But that is not what's happening, so they might as well just stop forcing the masks.
Maybe it's flawed, but the league doesn't have to make players put masks on on the sideline to be serious about the coaches wearing masks.
Hodor.
RunningMn9

[Anticipation] NFL 2020 Season

Post by RunningMn9 »

They can’t force the players (or fine them) without renegotiating with the NFLPA. They can do whatever they want to coaches and teams because there’s no coaches or teams union.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

The problem is that the NFL and the MLB both agreed to have everyone except players be masked, otherwise governors (especially Newsome) would not let them play in their state. The other issue is as mentioned, if the law is that you wear a mask, and a coach/manager does not, that says that he's above the law. Except he's not, and since having NFL games in California at least is not high on Newsome's list (no jobs are in danger as would be normal) they can yank the permission anytime they want.

The NFL does not want this under any circumstances. Not playing the Chargers/Rams/49'ers games at home would be a very poor look, especially if California withdrew permission because of the coaches flouting the rules and the law.
Black Lives Matter
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

If I was in charge I'd consider it a lead by example issue. The owners/GMs/coaches and refs all should properly wear masks. The players are the last people I'd worry about since, well, they play the game so they're the ones sprinting 80 yards down the field and getting hit. All the refs and coaches do is jog along at most. When they gather, the refs should treat masks like mics. If you need to talk and the other refs can't hear you over the crowd noise, briefly lower the mask. Say what you need to say then raise the mask again, like you were muting/unmuting your mic.
naednek

Post by naednek »

RunningMn9 wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:26 pm They can’t force the players (or fine them) without renegotiating with the NFLPA. They can do whatever they want to coaches and teams because there’s no coaches or teams union.
That's the first logical response and it actually makes sense.

Still a silly thing to make a stance on when it's not uniformed. But I get the contract aspect of it.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

NPR
The NFL has fined several head coaches $100,000 for not wearing face masks on the sidelines — a safety precaution that is required at games during the COVID-19 pandemic. The coaches' teams were also punished, with $250,000 fines.

The coaches include Pete Carroll of Seattle, Kyle Shanahan of San Francisco and Vic Fangio of Denver, according to ESPN's Adam Schefter. A league source confirmed details about the fines to NPR on Tuesday morning.
Carroll, Shanahan and Fangio have all worn neck gaiters during their teams' first two games, but each of them has often been seen with the covering pushed down below their chin.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
stessier

Post by stessier »

This explains the Tyrod Taylor mystery. Scary.
A Los Angeles Chargers team doctor accidentally punctured quarterback Tyrod Taylor's lung just before kickoff Sunday while trying to administer a pain-killing injection to the quarterback's cracked ribs, coach Anthony Lynn told ESPN's Shelley Smith on Wednesday.

That is the reason Taylor did not start Sunday and rookie quarterback Justin Herbert unexpectedly did against the defending champion Kansas City Chiefs, in an arrangement that Lynn said will continue Sunday against the Carolina Panthers.

Taylor's injury is not career-threatening, Lynn said, adding that the doctor "just made a mistake."

"It happens," Lynn told Smith. "Tyrod's not angry, not upset."
I would be angry.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Chargers QB Tyrod Taylor suffered a punctured lung from an injection by a team doctor, and is out indefinitely. This clears the way for Justin Herbert to start. Wags were saying you can't lose your job to an injury. Ask Wally Pipp (or Drew Bledsoe) about that.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
naednek

Post by naednek »

Jaymann wrote:Chargers QB Tyrod Taylor suffered a punctured lung from an injection by a team doctor, and is out indefinitely. This clears the way for Justin Herbert to start. Wags were saying you can't lose your job to an injury. Ask Wally Pipp (or Drew Bledsoe) about that.
Or Alex Smith

gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

Really? I for one would like to hear some stories then! I mean, operating on some player's knee is one thing, I'd kinda expect the occasional 'oops' there. Simply injecting a painkiller and puncturing a lung? The only way I'd try to play it off that way if I was the coach is if the player did something stupid and I was protecting him by throwing the doctor under the bus. I wonder what the circumstances of this incident were.
stessier

Post by stessier »

gameoverman wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:24 pm
Really? I for one would like to hear some stories then! I mean, operating on some player's knee is one thing, I'd kinda expect the occasional 'oops' there. Simply injecting a painkiller and puncturing a lung? The only way I'd try to play it off that way if I was the coach is if the player did something stupid and I was protecting him by throwing the doctor under the bus. I wonder what the circumstances of this incident were.
The hoverboard seemed like a good idea at the time...
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

gameoverman wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:24 pm
It was an injection for pain from cracked/bruised ribs so I assume it was local and close to the lungs. Surprising but not completely out there.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:40 pm Surprising but not completely out there.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

NFL Players association is investigating.

Sorry to hear of the death of Gale Sayers, one of my father's all time favorite running backs.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Lorini wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:34 pm Sorry to hear of the death of Gale Sayers, one of my father's all time favorite running backs.
One of mine too. I met him at a fundraiser years ago. Few athletes make good role models, Sayers was an exception.
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Pats owner Robert Kraft gets off on a hummer then gets off on solicitation charges.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

Jaymann wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:02 pm Pats owner Robert Kraft gets off on a hummer then gets off on solicitation charges.
Alternatively, police violated the rights of hundreds of people and as a result, had their evidence tossed. Unfortunately, no disciplinary action was taken against the officers involved.