[Skepticism] NFL 2020 Season

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Jaymann

Re: [Skepticism] NFL 2020 Season

Post by Jaymann »

JFC, Trent Dil(do)fer is crediting Brady with the Lightning winning the Stanley Cup and the Rays making the World Series. This is beyond what even I could have imagined.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Jaymann wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:24 pm JFC, Trent Dil(do)fer is crediting Brady with the Lightning winning the Stanley Cup and the Rays making the World Series. This is beyond what even I could have imagined.
He's an idiot. Ignore him. One of the big reasons I no longer follow ESPN.
Black Lives Matter
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Lorini wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:28 pm Even those these aren't specific to an individual, these are specific to passing

https://thecommutesports.com/2020/05/19 ... ded-intro/

I really like it as a stat because it takes into account how much yardage is needed to make a first down, and the situation the team find itself in.

Edit: Found it, ESPN uses it

https://www.espn.com/nfl/qbr/_/sort/cwepaTotal/dir/asc
Thanks!
Hodor.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Since I've last visited this thread, y'all have maligned Joe Flacco and Trent Dilfer; both bringing super bowl wins to Baltimore!

... Just goes to show quarterbacks aren't everything! :D
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Cardinals spank the Cowboys 38-10 (it wasn't that close). I'm still hoping for a 6 - 10 (or worse) NFC East winner.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Jaymann wrote:Cardinals spank the Cowboys 38-10 (it wasn't that close). I'm still hoping for a 6 - 10 (or worse) NFC East winner.
If the Giants beat the Eagles, all sorts of wonderful possibilities open up!
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Jaymann wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:35 pm Cardinals spank the Cowboys 38-10 (it wasn't that close). I'm still hoping for a 6 - 10 (or worse) NFC East winner.
I needed to pick up a new WR this week (and start him)...seems Kirk was the right choice. :)
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I wonder as a matter of math what the lowest possible record for a division winner is. I guess as a theoretical matter all intra-division games could end as ties, and then the teams in a division could all lose every extra-division game. Not sure what the tie-breaker would be, but seems at least possible for a team to 'win' its division with zero wins, right?
Black Lives Matter.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

El Guapo wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:33 pm I wonder as a matter of math what the lowest possible record for a division winner is. I guess as a theoretical matter all intra-division games could end as ties, and then the teams in a division could all lose every extra-division game. Not sure what the tie-breaker would be, but seems at least possible for a team to 'win' its division with zero wins, right?
If the ties were all 0-0, and each team was held scoreless in their losses, they would have to hold coin flip elimination bouts.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

If every division game ended in a 0-0 tie, and the teams were held scoreless in every other game which were all losses, then I'd pick the team that lost the most total fumbles as winning the division. I think that's more in the spirit of the total failure of that division. Deciding it with a coin toss means one of those teams will 'win' something. Total fumbles lost would include the entire team, so not only fumbles lost by the offense but also any defensive fumbles that ruined a turnover and any special teams fumbles lost. I wouldn't use interceptions because that's offense only. I would accept awarding a bonus to the team which had the most players ejected over the season IF the total number of ejections on any team is greater than 3.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

2010 Chiefs won their division at 10-6 with a 2-4 division record.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Cowboys = most focus on a 2-4 team evar.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

More chaos. Philly now leads the NFC East at 2-4-1. Four more wins for the worst division champs in history.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

The NFL Youtube channel highlight video of the Giants QB stumbling and collapsing on his way to the end zone is brutally titled.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

gameoverman wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:23 am The NFL Youtube channel highlight video of the Giants QB stumbling and collapsing on his way to the end zone is brutally titled.
Do you have a link? I don't see it.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Jaymann wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:31 am
gameoverman wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:23 am The NFL Youtube channel highlight video of the Giants QB stumbling and collapsing on his way to the end zone is brutally titled.
Do you have a link? I don't see it.
I have a hard time imagining how it could make that play any worse!
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Maybe this will be the year the NFL starts thinking about making it a rule that Div winners have to have a greater than .500 record to get into the playoffs. Wishful thinking probably.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Lassr wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:30 am Maybe this will be the year the NFL starts thinking about making it a rule that Div winners have to have a greater than .500 record to get into the playoffs. Wishful thinking probably.
That will never happen. They can't expand the playoffs, opening up the chance for sub .500 wild cards to make it, and say a sub .500 division winner is ineligible.
Hodor.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

pr0ner wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:44 am
Lassr wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:30 am Maybe this will be the year the NFL starts thinking about making it a rule that Div winners have to have a greater than .500 record to get into the playoffs. Wishful thinking probably.
That will never happen. They can't expand the playoffs, opening up the chance for sub .500 wild cards to make it, and say a sub .500 division winner is ineligible.
No expansion, if a div winner is sub .500 then one of the teams vying for a wild card gets the slot. There are always teams above .500 that don't make it in.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Lassr wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:03 pm
pr0ner wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:44 am
No expansion, if a div winner is sub .500 then one of the teams vying for a wild card gets the slot. There are always teams above .500 that don't make it in.
Maybe I wasn't super clear in my first point, so I'll try again.

The playoffs are already expanded to 14 teams, starting this season. It's unlikely, but such an expansions does increase the chance of a sub .500 team making the playoffs as a wild card (it will definitely lead to more .500 teams making the playoffs). If you've banished a division winner from making the playoffs a 7-9, are you going to banish a 7-9 wild card team, too?

There's no way the NFL would ban a division winner of any sort from making the playoffs.
Hodor.
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

I don't see how a non division winner gets in the playoffs while a division winner doesn't. If that's what people want then there should be no divisions. Just two conferences and have the best teams from each conference in the playoffs. If it's just about the win/loss record then why have divisions?

My reasoning is this: Right now teams are told if they win their division they get in the playoffs. That's it, that's the requirement. Hey, if your division sucks and your team wins it with a 6-10 record, that's not your team's problem. Your team did their part. If your team had an 11-5 record but missed the playoffs, don't complain. The team didn't win their division so they didn't do their part. Finally, crappy teams that win divisions and make the playoffs will get bounced right out. If a 6-10 division winner makes the playoffs and wins playoff games, then that team earned it and proved it on the field. So either way justice is done.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Sweet chaos! The Cowboys go from first to worst in one week.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Jaymann wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:53 pm Sweet chaos! The Cowboys go from first to worst in one week.
And another dead QB on my FF team. :doh:

Fortunately, Tyler Lockett had an insane game (56 pts)...I was 99% favored to lose going into the night game, and I won. :)
Black Lives Matter
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

gameoverman wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:06 pm I don't see how a non division winner gets in the playoffs while a division winner doesn't. If that's what people want then there should be no divisions. Just two conferences and have the best teams from each conference in the playoffs. If it's just about the win/loss record then why have divisions?

My reasoning is this: Right now teams are told if they win their division they get in the playoffs. That's it, that's the requirement. Hey, if your division sucks and your team wins it with a 6-10 record, that's not your team's problem. Your team did their part. If your team had an 11-5 record but missed the playoffs, don't complain. The team didn't win their division so they didn't do their part. Finally, crappy teams that win divisions and make the playoffs will get bounced right out. If a 6-10 division winner makes the playoffs and wins playoff games, then that team earned it and proved it on the field. So either way justice is done.
Do you really think it makes sense to let a sucky 6-10 team into the play-offs, when there are a number of teams that are demonstrably and agreed by all (hypothetical) better than them.

To your "that's not your team's problem, your team did their part" point... I mean - if you had one of the 4 best teams of all football, and just didn't make the playoffs because the other great teams were in your division - and EVERY other team in the entire league was a total joke... Don't you think you would feel a little screwed?

I also get your point: Them's the rules. And that's valid.

I mean, there certainly have been some years where it doesn't seem the Super Bowl should have picked from both the AFC and NFC, because one conference was weaker than the other.... and yet - you are right: That's the whole point of the Super Bowl... the NFC vs the AFC, and to have a Super Bowl between two teams from one conference would seem empty.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Lorini wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:40 pm
Jaymann wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:24 pm JFC, Trent Dil(do)fer is crediting Brady with the Lightning winning the Stanley Cup and the Rays making the World Series. This is beyond what even I could have imagined.
He's an idiot. Ignore him. One of the big reasons I no longer follow ESPN.
Why do people hate Trent Dilfer? Honestly curious, as I don't think I've ever thought about him positively or negatively. He's just kinda...there.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

Jeff V wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:56 am
Jaymann wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:53 pm Sweet chaos! The Cowboys go from first to worst in one week.
And another dead QB on my FF team. :doh:

Fortunately, Tyler Lockett had an insane game (56 pts)...I was 99% favored to lose going into the night game, and I won. :)
the hawks cardinals game was wild, holy crap on a cracker it was wild. Tyler Locket, 200 yards receiving!

Wilson and Murray combined throw for about 200 miles of offense, and I am quite sure that Metcalf earned a nascar sponsership.

Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Justin Herbert finally got a win after another stellar performance, including an 84 yard bomb, albeit against the lowly Jags. It remains a mystery why they put in Easton Stick (a name that is nearly mock-proof) for two dud plays. Maybe a prop bet?
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Jaymann wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:44 am Maybe a prop bet?
Speaking of prop bets, my son's friend placed an $80 bet on a list of, I think 10, prop bets and if all 10 happened you'd win $1080. He won yesterday. I'm trying to get a list of the bets because I'm curious as to what they were.

Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I'm not used to the Patriots being bad. They're probably going to lose to the Bills next week, which will put them at 2-5.

Brady must be feeling pretty pleased with himself right about now.
Black Lives Matter.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I'm just glad to see the end of that era in the AFC East.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

Unagi wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:46 amDo you really think it makes sense to let a sucky 6-10 team into the play-offs, when there are a number of teams that are demonstrably and agreed by all (hypothetical) better than them...
The owners make the rules. That being the case it seems disingenuous to me for people to complain about it when their team gets screwed by those same rules. They deliberately split the league into divisions. None of this is accidental. The league also has rules specifically designed to keep things competitive. It actually takes effort for the teams in a division to be so terrible. It takes a perfect storm of horrible team ownership and horrible team management to wind up with an entire division of losers. I wouldn't blame the rules.

As for 'best' teams, well that's why they play the games, to prove which team is best. I seem to remember an undefeated AFC team losing the SB to an Eli Manning led wild card Giants team. My view has always been that you have to win the games required to make the playoffs, THEN you have to win your playoff games, THEN you have to win the Super Bowl. After that, fans can talk about how their team is one of the best if not the best. Winning 15 or 16 games in a regular season isn't making a case for that team being better if another team is the one that wins the championship.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

The NBA keeps playing with the idea of the best 16 teams going to the playoffs and I think the NFL should consider this as well, so we do indeed see the teams with the best records.
Black Lives Matter
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Lorini wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:45 pm The NBA keeps playing with the idea of the best 16 teams going to the playoffs and I think the NFL should consider this as well, so we do indeed see the teams with the best records.
Is that really feasible with the teams playing such imbalanced schedules? In the NBA, each team plays every other time at least twice. That's always going to be impossible in the NFL.
Hodor.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

We think we do it in college football.

(Have the best play a final game)

I mean we probably, most often, get two great teams in the Super Bowl , but I’m certain some years the two best teams were in the same Confrence.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

pr0ner wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:14 pm
Lorini wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:45 pm The NBA keeps playing with the idea of the best 16 teams going to the playoffs and I think the NFL should consider this as well, so we do indeed see the teams with the best records.
Is that really feasible with the teams playing such imbalanced schedules? In the NBA, each team plays every other time at least twice. That's always going to be impossible in the NFL.
The imbalance is there no matter what right? So if we're going to go with wins as the criteria, we should get the teams in the order of wins, not the divisions, the divisions are worse than imbalanced.
Black Lives Matter
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Lorini wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:15 pm
pr0ner wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:14 pm
The imbalance is there no matter what right? So if we're going to go with wins as the criteria, we should get the teams in the order of wins, not the divisions, the divisions are worse than imbalanced.
That's a fair point.
Hodor.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

El Guapo wrote:I'm not used to the Patriots being bad. They're probably going to lose to the Bills next week, which will put them at 2-5.

Brady must be feeling pretty pleased with himself right about now.
False. The Bills are a mess too. This is a toss up to find out who wants it less.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Uh Bears fans, do they score touchdowns? Was wondering :)
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Fun fact: If the season had ended before tonight's game, the Bears would have had a first round bye.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter