Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

WYBaugh

RIP Ruth Bader Ginsburg

Post by WYBaugh »

WYBaugh

Re: RIP Ruth Bader Ginsburg

Post by WYBaugh »

This is on the political forum. Please delete if you want.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Fuuuuuck!

R.I.P. :(
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Lassr wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:25 pm Fuuuuuck!

R.I.P. :(
+1
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Was afraid this was coming. RIP.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

She was a great American, both for what she accomplished and what she stood for. Even setting aside the political shitshow that's about to unfold, it's a sad day.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Kraken wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:49 pm She was a great American, both for what she accomplished and what she stood for. Even setting aside the political shitshow that's about to unfold, it's a sad day.
+1
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

In addition to her legal acumen and the compassion and sense of "justice" she brought to her arguments I enjoyed hearing stories about her genuine friendship with Antonio Scalia.

Intelligence and a real humanity about her which will be missed.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

WYBaugh wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:59 pm This is on the political forum. Please delete if you want.
I'm not going to delete at this point, but I do ask that folks try to keep this thread free of politics. There's plenty to discuss regarding the Notorious RBG that doesn't cross into politics. She was remarkable and worthy of respect even if you disagreed with her politics. If you're just itching to discuss politics, feel free to take it to R&P.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

$iljanus wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:05 pm In addition to her legal acumen and the compassion and sense of "justice" she brought to her arguments I enjoyed hearing stories about her genuine friendship with Antonio Scalia.

Intelligence and a real humanity about her which will be missed.
I was also surprised at their friendship. I didn't even know about it until last year or so I think. I saw an interview of her and her life and she talked about him and showed pics of their travels in the world like Egypt.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
stessier

Post by stessier »

I would bet she could still do more pushups than I could right up until the end. A life well lived. RIP.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Jaddison

Post by Jaddison »

She brought integrity, honor and an extraordinary intellect to everything she did. Fair winds and following seas RBG.
Carpet_pissr

RIP Ruth Bader Ginsburg

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Based on everything I’ve read about her in the last 12 hours, you just know she was fighting like hell, trying to will herself to live until November.

The stories of her taking care of her sick husband until 2a and only then working on her own legal study/work, staying up all night, are inspiring. People like that don’t go out whimpering.

Also, she might have never uttered the phrase “Fuck cancer” but she sure lived it. My God, what a survivor. Truly a selfless warrior.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Her friendship with Scalia just showed that people can always put aside differences and just be good people who are nice to each other.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Watch or read the eulogy she gave at Scalia’s funeral if you have any doubts about the genuineness of her feelings for him. One line stood out in particular to me, and it was actually a line where she was quoting Scalia:
Once asked how we could be friends, given our disagreement on lots of things, Justice Scalia answered: "I attack ideas. I don't attack people. Some very good people have some very bad ideas. [laughter] And if you can't separate the two, you gotta get another day job. You don't want to be a judge, at least not a judge on a multi-member panel." Well known illustration: Justice Scalia was very fond of Justice Brennan, as Justice Brennan was of Justice Scalia.
Bad ideas are not necessarily indicative of bad people. Something we all need to keep in mind.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:12 pm Was afraid this was coming. RIP.
I had hopes she would live past November. I do think members of the SCOTUS who have obvious leanings should consider retirement rather than just dying in office. Had she retired in say, 2014-15 things might be in a better place.
Black Lives Matter
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Kurth wrote: Bad ideas are not necessarily indicative of bad people. Something we all need to keep in mind.
Truth. Something I struggle with every time I talk with my Qanon neighbor or my racist-ish, Tucker Carlson-loving Dad.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

I've always been able to put a difference in political views aside, but I'm having a very hard time doing that right now. My Uncle by marriage is a wonderful person, but has bought in whole hog on Trumpism. I don't want to be around him at this point. If someone is embracing racism, misogyny, intentional sabotage of core Government responsibility and embrace of dictators to the detriment of our allies, I don't want to sit at a table with them at Thanksgiving. I don't want that in my life.