Thank you

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Lorini

Thank you

Post by Lorini »

For those who have adopted Black Lives Matter as their signature, I want you to know that I'm very touched and really appreciate your visible act of caring. I am the descendant of enslaved people and I have a son. Black Lives Matter is very important to us. My 29 year old son has already been accosted and spat on just because he is Black and he's terrified of being stopped by the police.

Again, thanks from the bottom of my heart

Jennifer King Schlickbernd

IT'S TOTALLY FINE IF YOU DON'T USE THE SIGNATURE!!! NO HARM FELT!
Last edited by Lorini on Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Re: Thank you

Post by Jaymann »

It's a small gesture, but that's how things start. I can't imagine the trials of growing up black in this country. Best to you and your son.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

:wub:

It took way too long for my eyes to be opened but they are open now. I'm hoping my boys can be better and one day America will as well.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

I'm going to go ahead and apologize for being late on this one. I wasn't sure if it was a political bickering thing in the R&P forum but when I saw it there and it looked like it was being twisted as an arm-wrench, so my first reaction was to skip it.

Knowing it has an impact beyond one surly poster raising a stink makes a difference to me.

I do drive my car around with a "#BLM" paper on my dashboard so oncoming traffic I pass can see my support (seems more potent than a bumper sticker that one person stares at for 12 miles). It's earned me some looks and a wad of gum and spit stuck to my windshield after I came out of a grocery store.

I'm glad that there's a potential for that sign (and a signature) to maybe make someone feel a little better about the world.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

This post truly was not meant to make people feel guilty about not having the signature, I'll edit my post to make that clear. It's totally fine if you choose not to have the signature, that doesn't mean that you don't care about people or whatever.
Black Lives Matter
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Lorini wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:29 am This post truly was not meant to make people feel guilty about not having the signature, I'll edit my post to make that clear. It's totally fine if you choose not to have the signature, that doesn't mean that you don't care about people or whatever.
I don't mind adding it here but it is a much smaller audience and probably not the audience that needs to understand it. I am actively promoting it on Facebook when i can though.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I didn't even see that folks were doing that, I'm so oblivious. Just added because if it makes anyone here feel even one iota of comfort, it's completely worth it. And it is a worthy cause, of course.

Just don't take offense that it hangs there near my previous quotes about video game animals being hurt in the name of grinding in online games. :oops:
He won. Period.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

I've had signatures turned off for so long I forgot they were a thing. :oops:
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

It's terrible that you have to go through all that. Nobody should. Reminds me that I have a cousin in Montreal and the city along with its officers are known to be racist and corrupt. He has a very good black friend who's been very successful business-wise. One day, my cousin was riding in his friend's car, which turns out to be a mercedes, with slight scratches and dents and they were stopped at a random spot check, and his friend was told to he'd have to get it repaired, or if he couldn't afford the repair, take it off the road. My cousin was shocked and saddened and it was a moment that opened my cousin up to the injustices happening everyday for his friend. His friend told him months later that he'd decided to downgrade to a lower vehicle class in order to bring him less unwanted attention.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Lorini wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:29 amThis post truly was not meant to make people feel guilty about not having the signature, I'll edit my post to make that clear. It's totally fine if you choose not to have the signature, that doesn't mean that you don't care about people or whatever.
I wouldn't say I felt guilty. I would say more that I needed a reminder that it matters to people, even when I can't see them.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

My 29 year old son has already been accosted and spat on just because he is Black and he's terrified of being stopped by the police.
:cry: :x Trying to make the tiny corner I live in a better place for everyone, to not let this "leave the front page" in my lifetime, that the next generation can do better than we are doing.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

hepcat wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:38 am I didn't even see that folks were doing that, I'm so oblivious. Just added because if it makes anyone here feel even one iota of comfort, it's completely worth it. And it is a worthy cause, of course.
That's pretty much me. After 20 years I pretty much gloss over signatures, so I never noticed.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Glossed right over it as well. Thanks for bringing attention to it. :wub:
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

I want to again thank those of you who are using Black Lives Matter as your signature. Even in 2021, it still means a lot to me. I've not been feeling well (nothing fatal) lately and seeing the signatures really helps my outlook.
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I bought a BLM hat and wear it when I am walking around the neighborhood. Just that tiny thing, knowing the opinions of many of my neighbors, makes this middle aged white guy in a pretty nice neighborhood a bit uneasy.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I've noticed lots of both BLM and Pride flags on my runs around the neighborhood. It's a small gesture, but a big one for the 95% white, Mormon, conservative Utah suburbs.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Lorini wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:56 am For those who have adopted Black Lives Matter as their signature, I want you to know that I'm very touched and really appreciate your visible act of caring. I am the descendant of enslaved people and I have a son. Black Lives Matter is very important to us. My 29 year old son has already been accosted and spat on just because he is Black and he's terrified of being stopped by the police.

Again, thanks from the bottom of my heart

Jennifer King Schlickbernd

IT'S TOTALLY FINE IF YOU DON'T USE THE SIGNATURE!!! NO HARM FELT!
UPdated ;)
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Missed this the first time around. I think this will be the first signature I've ever had. And this will be my first post since adding it. I hope it works!

edit: It worked!
Black Lives Matter
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

Community is a town, a neighborhood, a block, a street, an internet forum. I don't internet forum much these days, but you are all my people.