This is what I've been doing on my free time since Covid

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Xmann

This is what I've been doing on my free time since Covid

Post by Xmann »

Bass fished since I was a kid but I picked up Kayak fishing in April and it's opened up a whole new world of fishing. Been good mental health treatment for me.ImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Lassr

Re: This is what I've been doing on my free time since Covid

Post by Lassr »

I need to get back to fishing to relax. Used to a lot when I was younger. Even have a large pond near my house that is private and had a lot of bass and crappie in it. Just have to clean out spots to access it.

And those are some nice catches.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Is it my imagination or is the fish wearing a mask? ;)
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Nice fish! Kayak fishing is great. Started doing it about 8 years back and just got back to it now that I’m on the coast again. Always nice to spend a few hours on the water even when you don’t have much luck.
Black Lives Matter
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

Been really good therapy for me. Next year is 20 years since I lost my father. He taught me all I know and I just couldn't get myself out to fish because it was too painful. Even after nearly 20 years. I 'm learning to use it as a way to connect with my dad again. The kayak is such a peaceful experience and it's been freeing, in a way.

gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Awesome! I need my kids to be more into it, I think my daughter is more so than my son. There's tons of fishing around my house, including 7 ponds in the sub division where I saw a 22" bass caught a few months ago. Sadly, only made it out fishing once this summer. Did get my wife to tentative agree to buying a fishing boat....once some of our other debts are paid.
Black Lives Matter
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

I'd just be out there in a kayak, chilling and enjoying the solitude. Looks really nice and serene.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

Why are you wearing a mask on a river or lake by yourself in a kayak?
It's 109 first team All-Americans.
It's a college football record 61 bowl appearances.
It's 34 bowl victories.
It's 24 Southeastern Conference Championships.
It's 15 National Championships.

At some places they play football. At Alabama we live it.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Nice.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

msduncan wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:36 am Why are you wearing a mask on a river or lake by yourself in a kayak?
Sun protection, bug protection. Fishing neck gaiters existed before COVID.

I don't have the patience for fishing, but it's also something I have fond memories of as a kid. Cool stuff.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

So wish I had the funds to buy a kayak. I've rented one a few times and always enjoyed it. Seems like such a spiritual way to enjoy the outdoors and a kayak leaves little trace.
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Despite spending lots of time in the outdoors growing up, I have never been fishing once in my entire life. :oops:
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
FishPants
Server WhOOre

Post by FishPants »

Are you using one of those foot pedal powered kayaks for fishing? If so, how's it work?

I've got a fish and ski boat that I didn't bother taking out of storage this year due to Covid, but next year I am either going to use the heck out of it or sell it (and replace it with a kayak). My kids are older and don't typically want to get up at the crack of dawn on vacation to catch fish anymore -- but they do still occasionally want to be dragged behind the boat on skis or a tube.
No.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Skinypupy wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:34 am Despite spending lots of time in the outdoors growing up, I have never been fishing once in my entire life. :oops:
Despite spending lots of time in the outdoors growing up, I have never been kayaking once in my entire life. :oops:
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

msduncan wrote:Why are you wearing a mask on a river or lake by yourself in a kayak?
I have had skin cancer. Sun protection.

gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

FishPants wrote:Are you using one of those foot pedal powered kayaks for fishing? If so, how's it work?

I've got a fish and ski boat that I didn't bother taking out of storage this year due to Covid, but next year I am either going to use the heck out of it or sell it (and replace it with a kayak). My kids are older and don't typically want to get up at the crack of dawn on vacation to catch fish anymore -- but they do still occasionally want to be dragged behind the boat on skis or a tube.
This is a paddle kayak, but I'm getting a Hobie for Christmas Image

I'm a member of a local kayak fishing club and a large majority of the members have boats they don't use anymore since they bought kayaks.

This kayak has been the best thing I've done for myself in a number of years.

gf.me/u/zhnmhs
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

Xmann wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:08 pm
msduncan wrote:Why are you wearing a mask on a river or lake by yourself in a kayak?

Ahhh. Ok. Gotcha
It's 109 first team All-Americans.
It's a college football record 61 bowl appearances.
It's 34 bowl victories.
It's 24 Southeastern Conference Championships.
It's 15 National Championships.

At some places they play football. At Alabama we live it.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Xmann wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:08 pm

I also wear a buff on the water for the same reason. It can serve as a mask when getting on and off the water if other people are around, although I know it's not as effective as a legit mask, but that isn't the main reason I have it with me.
Black Lives Matter
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

The bite has really slowed down, but still having some success. This is a largemouth and a white bass caught this afternoon.ImageImage
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Nice! I hit a new spot this past weekend. Despite it being windy and at times stormy, caught some decent fish. Will have to try this area again soon.

Black Lives Matter
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

That a Red Fish? My brother in Tampa told me tonight the Red's are doing good right now.
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Yep - a red and a speckled (or sea) trout. I’m still trying to figure out the fishing around here (Charleston), but seems like the fall is a pretty good time to find fish holing up.
Black Lives Matter
mori

Post by mori »

Jeff V wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:39 pm Awesome! I need my kids to be more into it, I think my daughter is more so than my son. There's tons of fishing around my house, including 7 ponds in the sub division where I saw a 22" bass caught a few months ago. Sadly, only made it out fishing once this summer. Did get my wife to tentative agree to buying a fishing boat....once some of our other debts are paid.
The one niece I never thought of liking fishing totally got into it. I gave her all my gear. I want to get into kayak fishing but I assume you need some type of training to keep from drowning yourself. I like fishing, but I don't want to drown myself. There are hundreds of fishing spots within a few miles radius of where I live and would be happy to buy gear again.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Well, a life jacket (which at least in SC is required) can help with the drowning part. Certain kayaks are much more stable than others, generally due to their width. I don’t have the greatest balance but am actually been able to stand in mine, although I don’t do it for long and not in rough or windy conditions.
Black Lives Matter
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

mori wrote:
Jeff V wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:39 pm Awesome! I need my kids to be more into it, I think my daughter is more so than my son. There's tons of fishing around my house, including 7 ponds in the sub division where I saw a 22" bass caught a few months ago. Sadly, only made it out fishing once this summer. Did get my wife to tentative agree to buying a fishing boat....once some of our other debts are paid.
The one niece I never thought of liking fishing totally got into it. I gave her all my gear. I want to get into kayak fishing but I assume you need some type of training to keep from drowning yourself. I like fishing, but I don't want to drown myself. There are hundreds of fishing spots within a few miles radius of where I live and would be happy to buy gear again.
You have to buy a kayak that's built for fishing. They are more stable and you sit on top and not inside it.

If it's something you are serious about, get one and take it to a spot with little boating and learn to paddle and control the kayak, while fishing. When I bought mine, I had never been in a kayak. It does take some practice to get comfortable, but it's not as daunting as it may seem. Plenty of Youtube tutorials on how to safely learn. A lot of kayak safety is universal, but there's definitely differences with a sit on top fishing kayak.

And yes, PFD every single time you are on the water. I'm a great swimmer who has swan triathlons in the ocean and I've fished most of my life. I'm super confident and react great under stress and sketchy situations, but I never get in my kayak without a PFD, ever.

If you get serious to the point of purchasing and want some advice or tips, just holler.
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
miltonite

Post by miltonite »

I love getting in my kayak and hitting the marsh. I can get into a lot of little ponds where the redfish are feeding like crazy where other boats cannot reach. It has been a while since I was able to get out fishing but we have a trip planned. The best part is you can go out with others and everyone can find their own spot to fish. You don't have to fish on top or everyone else like in a boat.
FishPants wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:46 am Are you using one of those foot pedal powered kayaks for fishing? If so, how's it work?
I have a Hobie Outback. There are 2 fins that you drop through the bottom of the boat and peddling moves the fins.
Here is a video from Youtube talking about it and shows how it works.
There is also a rudder that is operated with one hand as well.
"Only in a geek forum could we talk about the camcorder's battery life ruining our suspension of disbelief, while totally accepting the gigantic impenetrable monster." -YK

"Isg, set research engines to ludicrous speed!!" -DD*
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

miltonite wrote:I love getting in my kayak and hitting the marsh. I can get into a lot of little ponds where the redfish are feeding like crazy where other boats cannot reach. It has been a while since I was able to get out fishing but we have a trip planned. The best part is you can go out with others and everyone can find their own spot to fish. You don't have to fish on top or everyone else like in a boat.
FishPants wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:46 am Are you using one of those foot pedal powered kayaks for fishing? If so, how's it work?
I have a Hobie Outback. There are 2 fins that you drop through the bottom of the boat and peddling moves the fins.
Here is a video from Youtube talking about it and shows how it works.
There is also a rudder that is operated with one hand as well.
Getting to and accessing places a boat can't is another reason I love my kayak. When I caught my largest bass pictured in the first post, it was in a spot a boat couldn't reach. It was gratifying because there was another fisherman in his bass boat watching me and as I was leaving he tells me, "I'm jealous of you and your kayak right now. Want to switch boats for a couple hours".

I'm pretty much sold on getting a Hobie PA14 next spring. Really excited about being able to fish while I'm changing locations. I didn't realize how much more fishing you can do with a peddle kayak until I went out with some other fisherman with Hobie's. I spent half the day trying to keep up with them while they were fishing and peddling. I know that will be a game changer.
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

The last post in blank to me.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I guess Xmann has been doing nothing...
Black Lives Matter
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

Bass season getting startedImage
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Does that bass sing popular songs, though?
Black Lives Matter.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Shouldn't you be wearing a hat?
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

Unagi wrote:Shouldn't you be wearing a hat?
I took my hat off because I was in the shade. But I wear a bucket hat anytime I'm exposed to the sun.
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Fished my entire life until I met my wife in 87. I mean as a kid I went with my dad every weekend. As a teen me and my best friend walked all over town to fish every day just about. But then life changed. Me and my wife went maybe 3 or 4 times...once with my dad. But then we just didn't go. I dont think Ive been in 20+ years. Never will I dont think. Dont want to hurt living stuff. I can say that and still buy fish and meat fine..but doing it myself no.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Daehawk wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 1:57 pm Fished my entire life until I met my wife in 87.
Once you catch a good one, why continue fishing? :wink:
He won. Period.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

hepcat wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 2:11 pm
Daehawk wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 1:57 pm Fished my entire life until I met my wife in 87.
Once you catch a good one, why continue fishing? :wink:
:clap:

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

I dont fish anymore, but currently am looking for a place to spend my 60th (!!!!!!) birthday at that is on a lake and has access to a boat so I can just kick back with a 6 pack and relax for a week.
To me there is nothing more serene.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Been trying to go out in my kayak most weekends, as long as the wind isn’t kicking too hard. Generally have been striking out, but caught a few flounder and a couple of small trout on my trip last weekend.

Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Saltwater and freshwater fish in the same place? Ive not seen that since I went fishing in Florida with my brother and dad in the St Johns river.