Fear for your life - Its Halloween 2020

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Jaymon

Fear for your life - Its Halloween 2020

Post by Jaymon »

Jaymon wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:46 am We are opting out of public halloween. no external decorations, and no candy giving. Our house will be dark, to not invite any treaters.

inside we will do a halloween hunt, like an easter egg hunt, but spookier? and then maybe watch a movie.

I can't control what everybody else does, I can only control what we do, and we are staying safe.
Today, amazon delivered what I consider to be this years masterpiece. 500 plastic eggs Black/Orange assortment. The mrs and I are going to fill them all with candy, and "hide" them about the house, the night before halloween. Although with 500 eggs, it will be less of a hunt, and more of a clean up job.
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
Daehawk

Re: Fear for your life - Its Halloween 2020

Post by Daehawk »

With that many if you use candy that could melt or spoil you might want to count the exact number you hide so you can compare it to how many are found. That way no smells later or sick pets or grossed kids :)
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Halloween might be cancelled in different cities. I know our Mayor is considering cancelling. I think it's common sense at this point.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Holman

Post by Holman »

After several years of seeing just four or five TorTing groups on our block, we're not laying in many supplies. (My kids are in high school and will spend Halloween night playing with friends online.)

Several streets away, though, are some neighborhoods where Halloween is definitely A Thing and many houses go all out for what is essentially a running block party. I wonder if they'll pull back this year, but I kind of suspect they won't.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

We will setup a "help yourself" table at the end of the driveway. That seems to be what the subdivision is doing. My kids aren't too vested in trick-or-treat because my wife always sends their swag to the Philippines.
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Halloween was always awful around here. When I was a kid, most blocks would have a house or two that was dark and didn't participate. When my kids were younger there might have been a house or two on every block that did. When I was a kid I'd have to run home halfway through to empty my bucket. When we went they'd end up with an inch, tops, by the end of the night. The shared elements of the community had just vanished. By the time they were ten, they'd both had enough of wasting their time and weren't interested in any more Trick-or-Treating. So we switched it up. We'd fill a bucket full of a crap-ton of Halloween candy, make a big meal, watch a Halloween movie, and everyone was allowed to gorge themselves on candy. They enjoyed that a great deal more (even Caiden, who gorged himself into vomiting one Halloween.) That tradition continues. The films made their way from Tim Burton fare to light horror (Poltergeist) to more adult stuff (last year was Pet Semetary, this year will be It.)
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Our mayor officially blessed trick-or-treating from 4-8 p.m. on 10/31, with mask/distancing warnings. Unlike most years, me and Wife will be home because we always are now. We have a Zoom with our friends at 7 p.m., so there's an outside chance hooligans could storm our porch because we can't black out the house. I might buy a bag of candy, just in case.

I've bought that emergency candy every year for 30+ years, and I've given away maybe a dozen pieces. Usually the bag goes to Wife's office the next day. IDK what we'll do with it without that failsafe. Pray that I will not eat it.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

My wife and I are the neighborhood Scrooge’s who tend not to decorate for Halloween, and we don’t get many trick or treaters. This year all of the lights will be off as we will be taking care of a roughly 10 day old baby!
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Halloween is a rough one for us right now. The kids (especially the 6-year old twins) really want to go trick-or-treating, and the mayor has said it will be allowed (with guidelines). They've been so good, essentially being locked away from others (they play over the fence with the neighbor kids, even as the neighbor kids will go to each others' houses). They've got their costumes and we've decorated the house, but we still haven't decided whether we're going yet. At a minimum we'll hit next door, where our neighbor has set up a PVC pipe from her front window down through the fence (painted a decorated with a pumpkin face at the end) where she'll drop candy for kids, but I'm leery about the groups or going up to doors where people will be potentially unmasked (even though the rules are that anyone giving out candy should be masked).

I don't have an idea of how popular trick-or-treating will be this year. If the weather is nice, I could see a big turnout. The city has given the go-ahead, it's on a Saturday, and I could see people wanting to get a taste of "freedom" for their kids (kind of the scenario we're in). On the other hand, COVID-19.

:confusion-shrug:

:occasion-happyhalloween:
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

We may truck or treat. The kids have astronaut helmets with visors as their Among Us costumes. I’ll hang back in a lab coat and Rick (and Morty) lab coat and hair, but a mask with Ricks slobbery mouth would work with the costume.

The danger will be other kids.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

We may truck or treat.
Is that where you drive up with the kids in the back of the pickup and blow the horn and wait for the people to throw candy at them from the driveway? I didn't know you lived in the south too.

:)

Just remember to check the candy. Sometimes the yokels throw meth instead. Thats mommy and daddy candy.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Paradroid

Post by Paradroid »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:31 am So we switched it up. We'd fill a bucket full of a crap-ton of Halloween candy, make a big meal, watch a Halloween movie, and everyone was allowed to gorge themselves on candy.
This sounds really cool, Blackhawk. It's pretty much what I'd like to do too, but my 15yo daughter likes going around with her friends doing god knows what, and my 10yo son is still pretty invested in trick or treat. I guess I have a while to wait yet.
I no longer post here.