[AMC] Walking Dead World Beyond

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

rittchard

[AMC] Walking Dead World Beyond

Post by rittchard »

I figured this show deserved its own thread, even though it's a limited series. I suspect there may be more interesting things to talk about and it may be better to keep it away from FTWD.

The first two eps were a little slow for me, particularly the second one. I fell asleep multiple times lol. Nothing bad about it, just not really hitting me. The third ep I found a lot more interesting. It had some nice action, some cool locations and cinematography, and gave us insights on all the main characters. Including the "bad guy." All in all it felt like the first 3 episodes put together made for the true introduction to the show. I'd almost argue they should have been edited together as a single movie event. In that context, I felt the show looks to have good potential. I'm not sold on the four main kids yet, but I think they will grow on me. At least none of them irritate me yet.
Lassr

Re: [AMC] Walking Dead World Beyond

Post by Lassr »

I'm enjoying it, and with just 2 seasons maybe they won't have time to screw the pooch with writing....
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

We've been enjoying it so far.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Some stupid crept into the show last night.
Spoiler:
Mississippi river is not gonna rise several feet with a thunderstorm, tie the raft to a tree just in case and wait out the storm. Stupid to cross a very large river in a homemade boat when a storm is approaching.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Would any of them actually possess that knowledge?
It's almost as if people are the problem.
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

Another solid ep of the show this week, again directed by Cudlitz. He definitely does a great job with character moments and interactions, and we got a lot of them in this one. I really enjoyed the tone of the episode, with some bright spots in the present contrasting with an excellent origin story for the Huck character (I didn't even know her name before lol). In fact I'd wager she has one of if not the best TWD series flashback stories, I won't spoil it here in case anyone is on the fence about watching the show.

I suspect some people might be turned off by the teenage subplots, but I found them enjoyable and endearing, and I think they make for a nice contrast to the dismal nature of TWD and FTWD. Which I suspect is kind of the point of this show.

All that said, I can't help but wonder what they are heading into. This is a pretty nasty group they are dealing with, and our group of kids is not "leveling up" as fast as they might need to. I'm definitely intrigued by the finite nature of the show, and how it may tie into the Rick Grimes movies.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

very good season finale overall.

Black Lives Matter
naednek

Post by naednek »

I enjoyed it. I hope next season follows the CR more.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
disarm

Post by disarm »

I really enjoyed it as well, despite a few pretty contrived plot decisions. They're pursuing an interesting storyline overall, even if the details of how they get there are a little rough at times.
naednek wrote:I enjoyed it. I hope next season follows the CR more.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Scott Gimple (master of all things TWD on AMC) has gone on record recently saying that the second season will deal heavily with what's going on at the heart of the CRM...background for the return of Rick Grimes, although he will not appear in World Beyond.
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

Finished it last night as well, it's by far the better of the two spinoff shows. The finale was probably on the level of some of the core show's better seasons. It doesn't have as much intensity in terms of action/plot but in some ways is more engaging in the way it handles the characters and interactions. I guess in this case it's nice to have a smaller core cast and just let them interplay in a smaller scale story. Each of the characters have grown on me in different ways and it just feels like the show has a much bigger heart than either of the other two shows.

I really like what they've done (some plot contrivances aside) and am really looking forward to the second season.