Ransomware 2020

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Octavious

Ransomware 2020

Post by Octavious »

Company got hacked over the weekend. Apparently our IT has no idea what they are doing as the backups were easily accessible as well and it looks like we lost a shitton of data.

Essentially our entire network folder where we store documents for the last 9 billions years was encrypted along with any backups....So ya...

Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Paingod

Re: Ransomware 2020

Post by Paingod »

Fucking ouch.

The company has three options.

1. Pay the ransom.
2. Hope someone can overcome it; some forms of ransomware are escapable, at a cost to the right vendor.
3. Try and stagger through it and piece their lives back together.

Option 3 has about a 90% failure rate for businesses within 5 years - as in they never really recover and finally shut down. Option 2 is painful and may not be possible. Option 1 might only be done after involving the FBI.

Good lucks. I hope they're willing to fund their IT department a little better after this. In my experience, a failure like this is often because management declined to properly fund the department so they had the tools they needed and expected them to "make it work" with bubblegum and duct tape, not actual negligence. Could still be negligence, but I'm less inclined to make it my first guess.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Well our client data is in amazon so we didn't lose that. It's all internal documents. So zi guess it could be worse?
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Paingod

Post by Paingod »

I suppose it depends on the failure tolerance of the company.

Client data is one thing, and may be 90% of what's important - but what about bookkeeping, personnel, performance reviews, archived reporting, accountability and emails ... :doh:
Black Lives Matter

Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Ya I don't think we know the scope of it yet. Not that they would share that information with me. I'm worried about all our release folders. That would be very bad if they are all gone.

Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Apparently our releases and the entire network where we have our major stuff is fine. So at least that..

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

I got hit my first month on the job here. I shut down and called IT immediately. They were able to recover a backup from about 10 mins prior and since it was like 7am there was little disruption.

Turns out it was from a .gov HHS/CMS portal. Didn't feel so bad about it then.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Working on your resume yet?
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

LOL that's been cleaned up and ready way before this. I've been applying to stuff here and there. Not sure how bad this all is yet.

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Those damn fully remote folks hacking into your system. I knew it was a bad idea to have access to the outside world! Intranet for life!
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Ya I'm sure that will be blamed and we won't ever be allowed to do anything from home. They are perfectly fine when I take a call at 7am though. Go figure.

Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Octavious wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:22 pmYa I'm sure that will be blamed ...
In B4 "It was the CEO, opening a ZIP attachment after insisting on having Domain Admin privileges "because he runs the company" ... "
Black Lives Matter

Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Can you beat it if you yank the hard drive and put in a new one?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter