Pandemic Pup

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Kurth

Pandemic Pup

Post by Kurth »

We (the kids and I) had been thinking about getting a puppy for a while, but my wife was pretty much dead set against it and for good reason. Pre-pandemic, she and I both traveled a good deal, and with the kids in school and jetting from practice to practice, she was always concerned that we wouldn't be able to give a new pup enough attention during its formative months.

Then, last summer, we were eating outside at one of our favorite places, and we all saw a couple walk in with a really cute, chill dog. My wife commented that if could raise a dog like that, she'd be in. Then, she went even further and suggested that with all of us home for the foreseeable future, now might be the perfect time. From that point, it was game on. We did some research and decided on a Labradoodle. Our youngest son has some pretty bad allergies, and while no dog is really allergy-free, the combination of Labrador and Poodle apparently results in a dog that doesn't shed and is pretty friendly to people with allergies. It's taken forever - new puppies (and even shelter dogs) - are hard to find these days because everyone seems to have the same idea. But our new family member is coming home this Friday, and we're all psyched!

Here's Abby:
She's one of these lumps, just born:

This is her at 2.5 weeks:

Here she is at 4.5 weeks:

6.5 weeks:

And this is her this past weekend:

I'm sure we're going to have many sleepless nights ahead of us, but we're looking forward to it. It's been a long, long time since we've had a new puppy, so open to any words or wisdom or recommendations from the OO community!
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Re: Pandemic Pup

Post by $iljanus »

Buy lots of this: (Nature's Miracle)

https://www.chewy.com/natures-miracle-d ... gLhpPD_BwE

And lots of washable shop towels. They've been a lot more economical than paper towels for the messes.

She's adorable! I'll have to post my puppy pics. We have good and bad days with housebreaking but we'll get there...someday.

And the usual assortment of puppy kongs for teething and diversion. Our pup loves a kong that's been in the freezer with peanut butter and treats in it.

Had the same allergy concerns for my wife so it took a while to find a good hypoallergenic breed. Our Eskipoo has worked out really well.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Enlarge Image

Someone say chili dog?

Wife would like to get a new puppy, something in the lab family. If I thought the dog wouldn't become another daddy chore (my son already considers me to be the "master poo picker") I might relent. But my wife doesn't daily help care for our shih-tzu (she will bathe her every other week or so), and the kids aren't all that engaged -- son doesn't care for animals at all, and my daughter would be just as pleased with a pet bug or lizard.
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

That is a cute f'ing dog, I will say that.

My kids (especially my son) desperately want a dog. But my wife and I are both firmly against it, since two kids is enough to take care of and neither of us wants our kids to have joy in their lives.
Black Lives Matter.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

El Guapo wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:23 pm That is a cute f'ing dog, I will say that.

My kids (especially my son) desperately want a dog. But my wife and I are both firmly against it, since two kids is enough to take care of and neither of us wants our kids to have joy in their lives.
Kids are so fucking needy.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Cute pup. If he doesn't shed like a Poodle doesn't then he will need good brushings to keep the hair off him.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

ImLawBoy wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 1:00 am Kids are so fucking needy.
I know, right? I told my 4 year old she needs to get a job already, and she gave me a look of horror. "Daddy, I can't work! I didn't even go to school yet!"
Black Lives Matter
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Daehawk wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 1:07 am Cute pup. If he doesn't shed like a Poodle doesn't then he will need good brushings to keep the hair off him.
Doesn’t shed, but the grooming will be intense if she’s not going to end up looking like a big matted furball. Luckily we have a really cool farm store in walking distance of our house that has great grooming services plus a well equipped self-service grooming station. It’s going to take some work, but my wife is motivated and will step up to that job.

On my end, I’m going to have to handle all the late night trips outside while we are house training her. My wife doesn’t sleep that well to begin with, so I’m being banished to the basement to keep the pup company and take her out as needed over the next couple weeks (or maybe shorter if things go well).
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳