Do you know who Cary Grant is? How about Wernher von Braun?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Sure, I know who Cary Grant is ("Judy, Judy, Judy")
4%
But of course, I know about Wernher von Braun ("I aimed for the stars, but kept hitting London")
2%
Hey, I know about Cary and Wernher both ("I aimed for the stars but kept hitting Judy")
94%
Who the heck are you talking about?
No votes

Total votes: 50

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

A couple of weeks ago my wife and I were the only passengers on a harbor cruise, so we had some time to talk to the skipper and to his crew person, a 22 year old graduate student in Marine Biology. At some point I was talking to the 22 year old about my father who had an interesting life. I was mentioning about the time he and Cary Grant played a trick on friend of my father... at this point she asked "Who?". She had no idea who Cary Grant was. OK, fair enough.

I was then talking to her about the time my father met Wernher von Braun at the Explorers Club in New York City. Again she asked "Who?". Hmm. Am I expecting too much to think that a 22 year old college graduate might know about either one or both? So I thought, hey, how about doing a poll with the OO folks? Now, no fair Googling their names or asking your great grandparents :wink:. I'm really interested in finding out how well known these two disparate people are among the OOs.

If you like you can also post your age and/or some interesting highlights of your own. Thanks for reading this far!
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
McNutt

Re: Do you know who Cary Grant is? How about Wernher von Braun?

Post by McNutt »

I had a college student worker about 15 years ago who had never heard of John Wayne and had no idea who fought in World War 2.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

As an avid viewer of movies from the 1930s-50s, I'm quite familiar with Grant. As a great fan of spaceflight, I know von Braun's role. I mentioned in another thread that I heard him lecture while the space shuttle was in development in the late 70s. But then, I'm 63, so I know everything that happened more than 20 years ago.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

I'm not a huge fan of old movies or a space/rocket junkie, but I know both of them (not personally). I'm 49.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I just had a student tell me this week that they didn't know anything about the anthrax attacks that occurred here in the U.S. after 9/11 because they weren't born yet and it was never covered in any of their history classes in high school. You're expecting a 20-something to know about Cary Grant and von Braun? :D
Maybe next year, maybe no go
funnygirl

Post by funnygirl »

Ok, so I'm pretty sure I'm older than dbt, and a year or so ago I went to a salon for a haircut and the girl asked me what I would like. I said I would like it if she could make me look like Helen Mirren. Hairdresser: Who's that? Me: Well, never mind, how about Jane Fonda?
Hairdresser: Shrug
And both of them are still alive and working!

But then again, I doubt if I could point out Selena Gomez or Ariana Grande if I saw them in a crowd.
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

It's strange how there can be gaps in your knowledge. I never heard of Maradona until I read here of his demise.

My children had some knowledge of history, they asked me if I fought in the Civil War.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Turning 46 tomorrow and knew who both of them were, but I'm also a movie and history buff so that's not surprising.

However, betting on a 22-year old knowing a movie star from the 1980s is pushing your luck, much less one from the 1940s. It used to annoy me, but then I realized I was being unreasonable. Every generation has their own nostalgia, and I can't expect them to take the time to learn mine.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

They're both younger than me.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Definitely know about them both. To be fair, I'm not all that familiar with Cary Grant and his work, but I do know he was one the top actors of his day. And as a person who's both into astronomy and space in general, I'd be a fool not to know about von Braun.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

I'm 39. Not sure off-hand who Cary Grant is, but Wernher von Braun I'm pretty familiar with as I spent a lot of time studying the history of space exploration. Unfortunately I forget most of the details, but that's life I suppose.
Black Lives Matter
Hrdina

Post by Hrdina »

I know them both (I'm 53).

I'm more familiar with Gary Granite,though.

Conform or be cast out!
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

36. My mother raised me on various classic films. I know Cary Grant, specifically from Charade (1963). I recognized Wernher von Braun's name, but didn't know/remember who he was before I looked him up. I enjoy history, but haven't taken a lot of deep dives into WW2 and spaceflight.

I had no idea Madonna played soccer until today.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

NickAragua wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:42 pm I'm 39. Not sure off-hand who Cary Grant is,
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I know who Cary Grant is, although I don’t know if I’ve actually ever seen one of his movies.

Never heard of the other guy.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Know Cary Grant but cant remember his movies.

Also know van Braun as a historical figure from science fiction.

"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Spoiler:
Wernher von Braun was a Nazi rocket scientist who came to the US as spoils of war. He envisioned building a fleet of space shuttles that would construct a space station that would stage deep space missions to the moon and Mars. The US space program got hijacked by the space race, but von Braun's vision is still the bones that it's built upon.
There you have von Braun in three sentences, and you only really need to know the second one.

I'm sure 22-year-olds know a lot of things that I don't know or care about, so I'll cheerfully grant them Cary. Entertainers come and go. I'm slower to forgive not knowing important historical figures. But science and history are my bias.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I know who they both are, and have since childhood. I think you're barking up the wrong tree looking here for comparisons to the 20-something, though. Most of us are old enough to have grown up hearing names like Cary Grant and seeing his films on Sunday afternoons. I remember Father Goose, Operation Petticoat, and House Boat. Von Braun I remember from some book or other I had on space travel, plus enough mentions of his name from time to time (I just heard that 'hit London' line somewhere a few days ago, but I can't remember where.)
jztemple2 wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:01 pm Now, no fair Googling their names or asking your great grandparents
We aren't going to ask our great-grandparents, as a significant portion of us are already grandparents ourselves (I'm 47 and have three grandkids.) You're looking for the whippersnapper forum.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Of course I know both. Young folks are simply dense. Well not all of them but a good many.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Tao

Post by Tao »

I am very familiar with Carey Grant, one of my all time favorite actors. When I read the name Werner Von Braun my first thought was German Rocket plane but I couldn't come up with any more detail. For those who say they are either unfamiliar with Carey Grant or never saw any of his movies you have missed out. To this list I would add Arsenic and Old Lace but otherwise this is spot on. Just hit the double nickel, 55.

Essentaial Carey Grant
"Don't touch my stuff when I'm dead...it's booytrapped!" - Bender Bending Rodriguez
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I knew about Cary Grant in my teens because during summers in high school and college I worked on a harbor tug boat, a couple of weeks on, then a couple weeks off. Since I was paid every week, even the off ones, I convinced my father that I could just bum around the house on my off weeks. So I stayed up watching the late, late movies on our local TV station, sometimes till dawn. They ran lots of movies from the 30s and 40s. I remember one time my dad coming out at 7am, his usual wake up time, on a Saturday and me stretched out on the couch watching the end of The Great Ziegfeld (1936). He just shook his head, but I was making good money and staying out of trouble :D

I knew about von Braun because of my early interest in space and of course I was going to school at Cocoa Beach High during the Apollo program.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

My wife was a big fan of Penny Serenade though it made her sad.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I have 6-8 movies of Cary Grant in my dvd collection.
Don't have any of von Braun tho.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:15 pm I just had a student tell me this week that they didn't know anything about the anthrax attacks that occurred here in the U.S. after 9/11 because they weren't born yet and it was never covered in any of their history classes in high school.
I didn't really know what Watergate was all about until I was well into adulthood for the same reason. (I'm 40)
I'm sure there are tons of people my age who know nothing about it at all, except that it was some sort of political controversy.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Wow, never heard of Tom Lehrer -- thanks for posting!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

:shock:
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Archinerd wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:33 am
Smoove_B wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:15 pm I just had a student tell me this week that they didn't know anything about the anthrax attacks that occurred here in the U.S. after 9/11 because they weren't born yet and it was never covered in any of their history classes in high school.
I didn't really know what Watergate was all about until I was well into adulthood for the same reason. (I'm 40)
I'm sure there are tons of people my age who know nothing about it at all, except that it was some sort of political controversy.
That's like saying 9/11 was some kind of airplane malfunction.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Johnson was president when I went in the army. How many have heard of him?
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

dbt1949 wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:14 am Johnson was president when I went in the army. How many have heard of him?
Andrew? Yeah, supposedly he was kind of corrupt.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

While I haven't seen every Cary Grant movie, this is what immediately comes to mind for me:

When I was a wee nipper, we learned about Wernher von Braun in terms of his relevance to the Nazi A-4/V-2 rocket program (which, for obvious reasons, was much more significant to those who lived in the southeast of England than most Americans).
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:04 am:shock:
:shock: :shock: :shock:
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

I've definitely heard of both. I'm very familiar with Von Braun and his accomplishments. I've seen a few Cary Grant movies, but it's not really my favorite era of film. I'm 52.
raydude

Post by raydude »

49 here. Old enough to have seen several Cary Grant movies and I owe my current profession to being interested in space at a young age and so read up on all the early pioneers, including Von Braun.

As far as I can tell, the last mention of Von Braun in popular culture was in the 1999 film October Sky, where Homer Hickam keeps talking about wanting to meet him. So yeah, I don't expect a 20-something to know about him unless they were a fan of the space program.

Speaking of old things, my non-video zoom background is a screenshot of the space invaders game. One of the younger scientists (30 something) on the zoom call asked what the little blobs were on my screen. I replied, "It's an age filter."
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Don't be too harsh on young people. Them not knowing who Cary Grant or Von Braun are is the equivalent of us not knowing who Louis Bleriot or Mary Pickford are. We're judging them on how well they know our grandparents childhoods. Who was your great-grandmother's favorite actor?

The problem here is assuming that what was important to us 40 years ago should still be important today.
Last edited by Blackhawk on Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

But one of the great things about getting older is being able to complain about the younger generations and their misplaced priorities and troubling values!

Everyone knows older things are better. It's why I insist on cutting my own bread and refused the polio vaccine.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Sudy wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:32 am But one of the great things about getting older is being able to complain about the younger generations and their misplaced priorities and troubling values!

Everyone knows older things are better. It's why I insist on cutting my own bread and refused the polio vaccine.
About 15 years ago, I was on a project that involved lots of travel and I was occasionally paired up with a contractor who graduated with honors from Cornell. She was mid-20 something, I was mid-40 something. I was surprised about how much she knew about pop culture from my generation -- and was amused by her gaps. Mostly because she had some obscure stuff nailed down but was clueless about more common stuff. The only real example I recall was when "Swamp" from the Talking Heads came on the radio, she correctly remembered it was in the movie Risky Business, but said she never heard of the band.
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

gbasden wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:43 am
Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:04 am:shock:
:shock: :shock: :shock:
(I was being ironic, or meta, or maybe meta-ironic. Sorry it didn't come across that way.)
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Of course I know who von Braun is :) My dad started at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory in 1960 and I started there in 1981! I'm not a movie person but I've heard of Cary Grant.
Black Lives Matter