Do you know who Cary Grant is? How about Wernher von Braun?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Do you know who Cary Grant is? How about Wernher von Braun?

Sure, I know who Cary Grant is ("Judy, Judy, Judy")
4%
But of course, I know about Wernher von Braun ("I aimed for the stars, but kept hitting London")
2%
Hey, I know about Cary and Wernher both ("I aimed for the stars but kept hitting Judy")
94%
Who the heck are you talking about?
No votes

Total votes: 50

Kraken

Re: Do you know who Cary Grant is? How about Wernher von Braun?

Post by Kraken »

Madmarcus wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:36 pm
Kraken wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:15 pm That was supposed to be the joke. Guess it needed a smiley or something.
You didn't really need a smiley. I figured it was a joke but I couldn't figure out a way to indicate I knew it was a joke but was willing to be somewhat of a straight man.
Congrats, sir, you out-meta'd me.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:48 am Don't be too harsh on young people. Them not knowing who Cary Grant or Von Braun are is the equivalent of us not knowing who Louis Bleriot or Mary Pickford are. We're judging them on how well they know our grandparents childhoods. Who was your great-grandmother's favorite actor?

The problem here is assuming that what was important to us 40 years ago should still be important today.
But I do know who Louis Bleriot is, and I've at least heard of Mary Pickford. OTOH, I'm somewhat of an aviation nerd, so that probably helps with Bleriot.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:48 am Don't be too harsh on young people. Them not knowing who Cary Grant or Von Braun are is the equivalent of us not knowing who Louis Bleriot or Mary Pickford are. We're judging them on how well they know our grandparents childhoods. Who was your great-grandmother's favorite actor?
I've been interested in aviation since I was a teenager so I was familiar with Louis Bleriot. And I actually have two biographies of Mary Pickford on my shelves :D. I had a cousin who was a big movie freak and growing up I'd spend some looking through his book collection.
Who was your great-grandmother's favorite actor?
Hmm, probably Edwin Booth or Lillian Russell. Of course great granny would never consider Russell an actor, as she was an actress. Shall we start discussing if people recognize those names? :D
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I recognize them, as in, "I've heard those names before." I have the advantage that I was raised apart from my own age group, and grew up as much in my father's era as my own. I was around him and my grandmother and chased their interests rather then being around peers. As a child who grew up in the 80s, I was probably better versed in the music of the 40s than I was of the 80s.

But then again, you can find plenty of young people who could tell you who Cary Grant and von Braun are. I just don't hold it against them if they can't.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

That is going to be some slash/ fan fic.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Yes, I knew both.
I am not shocked they didn’t know about a scientist , but the name Cary Grant, I would like to think should be on the radar still.

At least enough to know it was a movie actor.

People don’t learn about scientists unless they are into the science.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Jeff V wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:04 pm Is there any subject Americans as a whole are more ignorant about than history?
"All of them, Katie."
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Holman

Post by Holman »

The problem here is assuming that what was important to us 40 years ago should still be important today.
Agree here and elsewhere.

Von Braun was important to those of us growing up in the Cold War because he personified the birth of the ICBM age. Kids today who've never heard of him still definitely know that nuclear missiles are a thing. The reality of a nuclear-armed world has long-since eclipsed the personalities associated with its beginnings.

When our grandparents were young, "Ford" meant the inventor. (I have a great uncle who was literally named after Edsel Ford despite no family connection.) Now, even if you've heard of him in school, no one thinks of Henry Ford at all, and "Ford" means the brand.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I thought it meant Gerald.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

What I have a problem with is the personalities of today. I knew them all 40-50 years ago.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

dbt1949 wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:31 pm What I have a problem with is the personalities of today. I knew them all 40-50 years ago.
I no longer know music artist of today or they stupidly named influencers. I see "So n so young person will be live this week" and Im like no idea and no care who that idiot is.

Im dismayed and peeved that mechanics and doctors are all younger than me now. I have always trusted people older than me.....these young folk worry me. :) Actually my mechanic may be my age or a bit older. Luckily. Too many people younger than me.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
The Meal

:P

Post by The Meal »

Jaymann wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:06 pm I thought it meant Gerald.
Take it to R&P.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
jztemple2

Re: :P

Post by jztemple2 »

The Meal wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:58 pm
Take it to R&P.
Sadly, you lost me with R&P :roll:
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

It's probably been 15 years since I tried to watch some of the classics. I couldn't. The pacing, the language, the everything.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Holman

Post by Holman »

coopasonic wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 7:42 pm It's probably been 15 years since I tried to watch some of the classics. I couldn't. The pacing, the language, the everything.
You mean classic screwball comedies?

We watched The Philadelphia Story with my GenZ progeny some months back. They had criticisms of the period style, but they thought the rapidfire Hepburn-Grant and Hepburn-Stewart stuff was great.

It made an excellent gateway to Casablanca.
The Meal

Re: :P

Post by The Meal »

jztemple2 wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 7:18 pm
The Meal wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:58 pm
Take it to R&P.
Sadly, you lost me with R&P :roll:
He brought up the political Ford. There's a forum for that, I suggested with tongue firmly in cheek (well tongue hanging out of my mouth, I suppose, considering my modification of the Subject).
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

So Garfield is fine for EBG, but bring up "Mr. Nice Guy" and it's off to Rape and Pillage with you.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

coopasonic wrote:It's probably been 15 years since I tried to watch some of the classics. I couldn't. The pacing, the language, the everything.
And thats pretty much all I watch. TCM is my go to station.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Yes on both. I’m 46.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

hentzau wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 2:47 am
coopasonic wrote:It's probably been 15 years since I tried to watch some of the classics. I couldn't. The pacing, the language, the everything.
And thats pretty much all I watch. TCM is my go to station.
+1. While I do enjoy new movies, too, I generally don't care for the frantic pacing, foul language, crude humor, sexual content, and graphic violence in movies from the '90s forward.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Plus TCM doesn't have commercials.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Hrdina

Post by Hrdina »

hentzau wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:50 pm Seriously, those folks that haven't seen a Cary Grant movie really should give them a try. Gunga Din, Topper, Arsenic and Old Lace, Bringing Up Baby, North By Northwest, Charade...crap, the Philadelphia Story, and he was in a supporting role in that one, but still terrific.

Think I'm going to throw on North By Northwest.
Definitely that and To Catch a Thief, which my wife and I watched not too long ago.
jztemple2 wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:56 am I'll say To Catch a Thief. Grace Kelly looks especially scrumptious in that movie.

Oh heavens, do I now have to explain who Grace Kelly was? :D
TBH, before seeing a couple of her movies I only knew of her because I'm from the Philadelphia area, where we have the Kelly Drive (formerly the East River Drive).
Conform or be cast out!
Hipolito

Post by Hipolito »

When Muhammad Ali died a few years ago, I was stunned that a black friend of mine, in her 30s, had never heard of him.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Hrdina wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:57 pm TBH, before seeing a couple of her movies I only knew of her because I'm from the Philadelphia area, where we have the Kelly Drive (formerly the East River Drive).
And the uncool part is when we have to admit that the road is named for her brother.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

"The movie" being "It's a Wonderful Life."

Hrdina

Post by Hrdina »

Holman wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:04 pm
Hrdina wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:57 pm TBH, before seeing a couple of her movies I only knew of her because I'm from the Philadelphia area, where we have the Kelly Drive (formerly the East River Drive).
And the uncool part is when we have to admit that the road is named for her brother.
Huh, while I didn't actually say it was named after her, we all know that's what I meant. ;)

themoreyouknow.gif and all that

It was definitely a big deal in the local news when she was killed.
Conform or be cast out!
Holman

Post by Holman »

Hrdina wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 4:22 pm
Holman wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:04 pm
Huh, while I didn't actually say it was named after her, we all know that's what I meant. ;)

themoreyouknow.gif and all that

It was definitely a big deal in the local news when she was killed.
(I thought it was named for her a couple of years ago until I looked it up.) :ninja: