OK White people, do you know Sojourner Truth, Langston Hughes, and Thurgood Marshall?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Re: OK White people, do you know Sojourner Truth, Langston Hughes, and Thurgood Marshall?

Post by ImLawBoy »

Knew them all, but I only learned about Sojourner Truth in the last few weeks. The twins go to a school named after a racist Swiss scientist, so they are currently undergoing a renaming process. Truth is one of the options the students were voting on last week (don't know the results yet).
That's my purse! I don't know you!
LordMortis

Re: OK White people, do you know Sojourner Truth, Langston Hughes, and Thurgood Marshall?

Post by LordMortis »

Skinypupy wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 1:45 pm
Blackhawk wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 1:39 pm Two of three. I had to google Sojourner.
Same. I’d heard the name but wasn’t exactly sure in what context.

This^^^
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

At some point I will respond to the issue of bringing up race, but the response will be in R&P. I'm not feeling too great right now and I have to kind of be up to the task so to speak to so it may not be today. Nothing big, just feeling a little outside of forum stress.
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

2 out of 3 and really Thurgood Marshall is the only one I could actually talk about.

Regarding the title, if "OK White people" ruffles your feathers, time for some introspection. It wasn't that long ago that I would un-ironically make a crack along the lines of why is there no white men's support group at work? I'm just glad I had friends/colleagues that were able to point things out to me and help me find my way to a better place.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

coopasonic wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:49 pm 2 out of 3 and really Thurgood Marshall is the only one I could actually talk about.

Talk about? Never mind. I need to walk back my 2 of 3. At best, I could go on Jeopardy and probably get the surface questions right. As example, I haven't read a Hughes novel and couldn't tell you the short work I have read.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Yes, do I get bonus points for also knowing who Jessye Norman, Toussant l'Oeverture and George Washington Carver are?
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Name dropping should never give you bonus points.
He won. Period.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

hepcat wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:27 pm Name dropping should never give you bonus points.
Joe Bob Briggs said that to me once.
Black Lives Matter
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Without looking, heard of first , don't recall the second , and yes for the third.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Black Lives Matter
Hrdina

Post by Hrdina »

MHS wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:05 pm Yes, yes, and yes, without Googling. But I read a lot and will instantly go to Wikipedia if I come across a name or reference I don't know while reading. I used to keep index cards in books with words and references to look up later; being able to do it instantly is one of my great joys with reading on an iPad.
I love that feature on my Kindle app, too. It's so ingrained in my brain now that I have caught myself almost doing that when forced to read from paper.
Conform or be cast out!
Bad Demographic

Post by Bad Demographic »

"and ain't I a woman?"

Even though I'm not white, I automatically read this thread. And yes, I know who all three are.
When I was in college, somebody had a poster of Sojourner Truth's "ain't I a woman" speech. It totally blew me away.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

Black Lives Matter
Eel Snave

Post by Eel Snave »

I think I do. Sojourner Truth: Focused on Black suffrage if I recall correctly, Langston Hughes: Poet, Thurgood Marshall: First Black Supreme Court Justice?

Do I win a prize?
Downwards Compatible
We're playing every NES game alphabetically! Even the crappy ones! Send help!
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Bad Demographic wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:51 am "and ain't I a woman?"

Even though I'm not white, I automatically read this thread. And yes, I know who all three are.
When I was in college, somebody had a poster of Sojourner Truth's "ain't I a woman" speech. It totally blew me away.
Fun fact that I just learned last night: Sojourner Truth probably never said, "ain't I a woman?" That version of her speech on women's rights was published many years after the fact. A version published just a month after her remarks doesn't include the phrase and is very different from the later version (though just as impactful, in my opinion). Text of both versions.

(Credit to a board game, The Vote, which included this fact in it a background note on the game's Sojourner Truth card.)
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I'm familiar with all three - mainly Thurgood Marshall, since I'm a lawyer and he was a Supreme Court justice and whatnot. That said, my knowledge of Sojourner Truth and Langston Hughes is pretty paper-thin.
Black Lives Matter.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Eel Snave wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:47 pm I think I do. Sojourner Truth: Focused on Black suffrage if I recall correctly, Langston Hughes: Poet, Thurgood Marshall: First Black Supreme Court Justice?

Do I win a prize?
Thurgood Marshall is at least as well known for representing the plaintiffs in Brown vs Topeka, Kansas. I always associate him with that ruling which led to the Civil Rights Act. I know Langston Hughes from a book my parents had when I was a child, The Best of Simple. Read it and really liked it. I kind of knew about Sojourner Truth before the launch of JPL's Sojourner, but that's when I really looked her up.
Black Lives Matter
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

I only recognized one of those names, but for what it's worth I hardly recognize any of the names this forum throws up in front of me unless they've been in a few big movies, regardless of the person's background. Poets, activists, writers, musicians, historic figures. I don't really have a "people" database in my head.

I don't know how much of that is because I'm white, or how much is because I'm isolated from the world in general, or how much is because I just don't pay attention to most things unless they slap me in the face and find a way to leave a mark.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

See and an actor/actress has to be freakin' huge before I know who they are. Current musicians as well.
Black Lives Matter
Bad Demographic

Post by Bad Demographic »

Good information, AWS. Thanks.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

Black Lives Matter