Hello Texas

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Xmann

Hello Texas

Post by Xmann »

I just arrived in Amarillo for a two week emergency nursing assignment. I'll be working almost 80 hours each week.

I have no idea what type of conditions I'll be walking into, but it's not good.

Wish me luck!
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Re: Hello Texas

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Xmann wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:13 am I just arrived in Amarillo for a two week emergency nursing assignment. I'll be working almost 80 hours each week.

I have no idea what type of conditions I'll be walking into, but it's not good.

Wish me luck!
Good luck, stay safe!

Hope you get some time off after the assignment.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

I'll see how it goes, but if it's tolerable I'll fly back home for a week and then come back. I'll never work for this type of pay again.

My contract states the hospital is required to provide proper PPE and if not, I'm to not enter a room and call a representative from the company I'm working through. They have someone onsite 24/7. This was the 1 stipulation I needed.
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Yeah, the money has to be crazy. I know a traveling ER doc and his COVID pay is unbelievable.

Just take care of yourself!
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Good luck in the eye of the storm.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Good luck. Stay safe. My sister does Flight for Life in Texas. She assures me that she is being careful and always has sufficient PPE. But I still worry. Texas is certainly a bit rough these days. So definitely call in that marker if you have to.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

Yeah, my friend has been working with this company since May all over the country and she said she's never had a problem with PPE. I have a rep from the company staying in the hotel that can help 24/7 and a rep at the hospital. My contract actually says I'm not allowed any patient care without PPE.

If this works out and I can tolerate the hours, I'm going to go home in 2 weeks and come back for 2 weeks and so on. If I can manage it, I'll almost make my normal yearly salary in 3 months.
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

If they try to guilt you into a room to help without your ppe just refuse. No time to be a hero. Got a wife back home who loves you to think of. A life ahead. Some of those people probably are there because they are the type not to take it seriously.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Do you have your passport? Texans don't think much of foreigners.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

dbt1949 wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 3:02 pm Do you have your passport? Texans don't think much of foreigners.
Hey they held off Obama when he came for their guns, I'm sure they can handle a Vol.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

Daehawk wrote:If they try to guilt you into a room to help without your ppe just refuse. No time to be a hero. Got a wife back home who loves you to think of. A life ahead. Some of those people probably are there because they are the type not to take it seriously.
My company gave me strick instructions to not do patient care without PPE. It's against my contract to do so. I will not do anything that compromises my safety or health.
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Holman

Post by Holman »

Good luck, stay safe, and thanks for what you're doing.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Thank you for doing that. Good luck, and be safe.
Black Lives Matter.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Nothing but respect Xmann. Be safe and stay sane.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Xmann wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 1:15 pm If I can manage it
...a big fat 'IF', to be sure...
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

hitbyambulance wrote:
Thank you for pointing this out. I CAN manage it. Just have to see if I'm willing to do it again.
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Xmann wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:02 pm
hitbyambulance wrote:
Thank you for pointing this out. I CAN manage it. Just have to see if I'm willing to do it again.
i understand that a front-line medical worker such as yourself needs be made of sterner stuff, but i'm imagining 16 hour days in a plague ward with a significant terminal population...
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Good luck. I think we all appreciate what your doing and there is nothing wrong with making some money while you do it.
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

If you need any advice, I'm an expert now.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Once upon a time, these threads were rife with local recommendations and were interesting to follow.

I assume you are sequestered in a hotel room every minute you're not working. Not so fun these days.
Black Lives Matter
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Kraken wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:12 pm If you need any advice, I'm an expert now.

How many "little people" does it take to defeat a tiger?
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

dbt1949 wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:16 pm
Kraken wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:12 pm If you need any advice, I'm an expert now.

How many "little people" does it take to defeat a tiger?
Just one, with the right weapon.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Wow, you DO know everything.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

Jeff V wrote:Once upon a time, these threads were rife with local recommendations and were interesting to follow.

I assume you are sequestered in a hotel room every minute you're not working. Not so fun these days.
I have 1 day off and I can do what I want on that day. The other days I'm required to stay in the hotel at all times. I made a couple trips to walmart and loaded up on groceries and what not, so I'm good. I also brought my Fire stick so I have all my tv entertainment. The weather is also chilly and windy so I'd be inside anyhow. I'm also in a nice hotel so I've been reading in the lobby just to get out of my room.

Regardless, I'll gladly stay sequestered considering what they are paying me.
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

The thrill of travelling for work was always seeing the local sights and dining at local restaurant -- things that can't be enjoyed these days. I've been all over Texas but never Amarillo, so I don't have any ready recommendations on things that you might be able to see and do.
Black Lives Matter
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Amarillo. Isn't that where they have the giant steak you can have for free if you can eat it all in one setting
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

dbt1949 wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 5:48 pm Amarillo. Isn't that where they have the giant steak you can have for free if you can eat it all in one setting
In Texas? You probably have to be more specific. I'd be surprised if there aren't literally 100's of restaurants with that kind of promotion. Though maybe it's the biggest steak of the lot? Paging Izzie.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The Big Texan
The Big Texan is best known for its 72 ounce (4.5 pounds or 2.04 kg) steak. The steak is free to anyone who, in one hour or less, can eat the entire meal, consisting of the steak itself, a bread roll with butter, a baked potato, shrimp cocktail, and a salad; otherwise, the meal costs $72.[3] Those who have successfully consumed the 72oz steak challenge have their names recorded and posted at the restaurant. To date, over 9,800 people out of about 68,000 people who attempted this challenge have accomplished this feat.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Okay. That's pretty big. Granted.

Black Lives Matter

Holman

Post by Holman »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 6:06 pm The Big Texan
The Big Texan is best known for its 72 ounce (4.5 pounds or 2.04 kg) steak. The steak is free to anyone who, in one hour or less, can eat the entire meal, consisting of the steak itself, a bread roll with butter, a baked potato, shrimp cocktail, and a salad; otherwise, the meal costs $72.[3] Those who have successfully consumed the 72oz steak challenge have their names recorded and posted at the restaurant. To date, over 9,800 people out of about 68,000 people who attempted this challenge have accomplished this feat.
The gimmick is that anyone who can consume that steak has no idea what to do with the salad.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

dbt1949 wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 3:02 pm Do you have your passport? Texans don't think much of foreigners.
Quite the contrary, we're really quite welcoming. So, welcome Xmann!

I went to high school in Canyon, which is essentially south Amarillo these days I would imagine. I haven't lived there since my second year of college so, other than the Big Texan (which is really for out of town folk anyway), I couldn't really suggest any local restaurants.

I can, however, suggest that if you find yourself with nothing to do on your day off, consider going to Palo Duro Canyon (for which the city Canyon was named). It is really quite impressive. Kind of sneaks up on you too--driving along the flat plain and then suddenly boom, huge canyon.
Battle.net: red51ve#1673
Elder Scrolls Online - @redfive
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

Tomorrow is my first shift and I'm glad. Getting kind of stir crazy sitting in this hotel.

I had a quick 2 hour orientation this morning and the hospital seems nice and they are glad to have us.

I still don't know the rationale for how they are paying us. I got paid a full 12 hours yesterday and all I did was hang out in my room. Today I had a 2 hour orientation and got paid for 12 hours. I have a friend in El Paso that's been there since last Sunday and she hasn't worked a day and she's getting paid to sit around.

gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Moat_Man

Post by Moat_Man »

Xmann wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 10:22 pm Tomorrow is my first shift and I'm glad. Getting kind of stir crazy sitting in this hotel.

I had a quick 2 hour orientation this morning and the hospital seems nice and they are glad to have us.

I still don't know the rationale for how they are paying us. I got paid a full 12 hours yesterday and all I did was hang out in my room. Today I had a 2 hour orientation and got paid for 12 hours. I have a friend in El Paso that's been there since last Sunday and she hasn't worked a day and she's getting paid to sit around.
End of line
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I spent a year at El Paso when I was in the army. Seemed much longer. But joining the cavalry was fun.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Xmann wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 10:22 pm Tomorrow is my first shift and I'm glad. Getting kind of stir crazy sitting in this hotel.

You're going to earn your pay and then some. Enjoy the downtime while you can.

Post by Default »

I've been working 85+ hours a week in the PO, so I can tell you, it's ok for the first three months. Once you get past 6 months, it just becomes a Bataan deathmarch.
"pcp, lsd, thc, tgb...it's all good." ~ Kraken
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

PO=Post Office? Not sure...
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Post -Op?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Pacific Ocean.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

IIRC, Default is a mail carrier, so PO = Post Office.
That's my purse! I don't know you!