Winter 2020-21 is coming

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Isgrimnur

Re: Winter 2020-21 is coming

Post by Isgrimnur »

People bought adjustable rate mortgages, too.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Oh good. They've decided we need two more mornings of single digit temperatures.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I get to play the fun game of do I drive into work tomorrow? I'm sure it won't be terrible in the morning, but getting home? Chaos.... Last time I got my car totally stuck in the driveway and had to get a tow truck to pull me out.

I may just use a vacation day, but then I get attitude. But who the f cares anymore?
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

dbt1949 wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:01 pm Oh good. They've decided we need two more mornings of single digit temperatures.
But above zero? Sounds absolutely delightful.
Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

From the El Arroyo restaurant in Austin, TX:

My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Octavious wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:17 pm I may just use a vacation day, but then I get attitude. But who the f cares anymore?
How much does attitude impact your paycheck or reviews?
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

So the winter storm warning that was supposed to be ice Monday night was mostly just cold rain with a little ice and light flurries, today's unexpected winter storm warning was supposed to be sleet with maybe 2 inches of snow, I'm at 4 inches now and it's still coming down hard.
Enlarge Image
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
GungHo

Post by GungHo »

Lassr wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:02 pm So the winter storm warning that was supposed to be ice Monday night was mostly just cold rain with a little ice and light flurries, today's unexpected winter storm warning was supposed to be sleet with maybe 2 inches of snow, I'm at 4 inches now and it's still coming down hard.
Enlarge Image
Looks quiet. I'm always impressed by how much of an impact the snow makes that way.

We joined the ranks of the blackout today, though we're thankful they are 'rolling blackouts' and the power comes back on, usually about 3x as long as it was out, so that's good. My sister hasn't lost power at all and neither has my BIL, both in (different) Dallas suburbs; but my partner on the ambulance today hasn't had power since Sunday. 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️
Really inexplicable just how inequitable the blackouts have been applied, I'm not sure if we'll ever get the real story on that either.
OR
cry in a corner that the world has come to a point where you have to pay for imaginary shit.

-Hiccup
Hrdina

Post by Hrdina »

Octavious wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:17 pm I get to play the fun game of do I drive into work tomorrow? I'm sure it won't be terrible in the morning, but getting home? Chaos.... Last time I got my car totally stuck in the driveway and had to get a tow truck to pull me out.

I may just use a vacation day, but then I get attitude. But who the f cares anymore?
Yeah, I told my boss and my wife that "I might go into the office in the morning then come home early".

I think everyone recognizes that I'll get up in the morning and say "frak this, time for MSFS instead" and burn a vacation day. I don't want to risk getting stranded at work.

My line of work gives me limited options for working from home.
Conform or be cast out!
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Hrdina wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:56 am
Octavious wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:17 pm I get to play the fun game of do I drive into work tomorrow? I'm sure it won't be terrible in the morning, but getting home? Chaos.... Last time I got my car totally stuck in the driveway and had to get a tow truck to pull me out.

Yeah, I told my boss and my wife that "I might go into the office in the morning then come home early".

I think everyone recognizes that I'll get up in the morning and say "frak this, time for MSFS instead" and burn a vacation day. I don't want to risk getting stranded at work.

In the way-before times, like late 1990s/early 00s, I had a friend who made more money than me and Wife combined. He had a WFH agreement with his company long before that acronym existed. When he bitched about having to go into the office, we couldn't understand how someone would resent having to actually go to work.

Now we both work online and have trouble remembering why people used to have to go to work.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

GungHo wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:01 am
Looks quiet. I'm always impressed by how much of an impact the snow makes that way.
it was until I heard a pack of coyotes last night.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Kraken wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:42 am
Hrdina wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:56 am

In the way-before times, like late 1990s/early 00s, I had a friend who made more money than me and Wife combined. He had a WFH agreement with his company long before that acronym existed. When he bitched about having to go into the office, we couldn't understand how someone would resent having to actually go to work.

Now we both work online and have trouble remembering why people used to have to go to work.
I can do 100 percent of my job from home. The only reason to go in is because the owner can't fathom that people would actually do work from home. People are totally capable of going INTO work and doing nothing. So it's really an idiotic stance. Right now there's nothing on the road, but I know I won't be able to get back. I have calls until 10 and I'm hoping there's at least SOMETHING on the road. Otherwise I'll have to drive in and figure out what time to bail early.

So wait I thought you said it's not okay to work from home but you are taking calls? Oh they are totally fine if I take calls at 7AM from home. But then I have to get my butt in for show. ;)
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

malchior

Post by malchior »

Octavious wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:14 amI can do 100 percent of my job from home. The only reason to go in is because the owner can't fathom that people would actually do work from home. People are totally capable of going INTO work and doing nothing. So it's really an idiotic stance. Right now there's nothing on the road, but I know I won't be able to get back. I have calls until 10 and I'm hoping there's at least SOMETHING on the road. Otherwise I'll have to drive in and figure out what time to bail early.

So wait I thought you said it's not okay to work from home but you are taking calls? Oh they are totally fine if I take calls at 7AM from home. But then I have to get my butt in for show. ;)
I'm on my ... check notes ... 4th company since you started there. And I just switched jobs. It's totally possible in this mess. Get to stepping. :)
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

It's a lot easier with your degrees fancy boy! ;) My goal in the next couple of months is to get my PMP. I'm awesome at self learning and I've been doing PM for years so it should be easy peasy. Once I do that I will try again again again. I've tried finding recruiters, but that has gone nowhere. :x

ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Meanwhile, here's the view out my front door this morning:

(Yes, my Christmas lights are still up. Shut up.)
That's my purse! I don't know you!
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

We've had power for 11 hours straight. Now that I have said that, I assume it will go down for the day. :P

This has been a hell of a ride, but I've had it better than a lot of people. The best has been getting up at like near stessier morning times to take my wife to work. On the flip side, we would go to bed around 8 because, without power, it was too dark to bother staying up.

Back in the early 90s I spent a week in my college apartment in January in Rochester, NY without power. Thank whomever was responsible that we had alcohol, lots of dry cereal and snowboarding gear to keep us warm. In retrospect, I am not sure which was better. I didn't miss the internet as much then. :P
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

So at 10 I looked outside and the road wasn't even covered. So I said fuck it I'll go in. As soon as I got on the highway the skies opened up and it was a shitshow getting in. Passed a flipped jeep and prayed an idiot in a SUV wouldn't ram me since they think they have magical powers. I'll probably have to stay until 6-7 to wait for the roads to clear. I'm super mad at myself right now. I should have told them to go f themselves.

LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Octavious wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:14 pm So at 10 I looked outside and the road wasn't even covered. So I said fuck it I'll go in. As soon as I got on the highway the skies opened up and it was a shitshow getting in. Passed a flipped jeep and prayed an idiot in a SUV wouldn't ram me since they think they have magical powers. I'll probably have to stay until 6-7 to wait for the roads to clear. I'm super mad at myself right now. I should have told them to go f themselves.
People in SUVs with AWD or 4WD that think they are immune to the loss of traction ice brings never cease to amaze me. Ice doesn't care about the price of your tires mostly laugh independent power sourcing to tires over an area of 60 square feet.
FishPants
Server WhOOre

Post by FishPants »

LordMortis wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:35 pm
Do you have a gas oven? When the power is out in the winter, as long as I am awake, I'll turn the oven on a low heat and leave the oven door open.
Just putting it out there, that's a really really dangerous plan and a good way to die from carbon monoxide poisoning. If you can't run an exhaust fan to vent the stove, don't turn it on. Nat gas fireplaces (at least the ones I have had) have an enclosed combustion area where the exhaust is vented straight outside (and there's an internal metal heat exchanger that has a powered fan blow air through it -- even without power though it provides safe heat).

I'm reading about people dieing in the south from CO poisoning doing just this.
No.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

FishPants wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:28 pm
Do you have a gas oven? When the power is out in the winter, as long as I am awake, I'll turn the oven on a low heat and leave the oven door open.
Just putting it out there, that's a really really dangerous plan and a good way to die from carbon monoxide poisoning. If you can't run an exhaust fan to vent the stove, don't turn it on. Nat gas fireplaces (at least the ones I have had) have an enclosed combustion area where the exhaust is vented straight outside (and there's an internal metal heat exchanger that has a powered fan blow air through it -- even without power though it provides safe heat).

Not saying it's not dangerous. "As long as I'm awake" may not have been a strong enough caveat.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

LordMortis wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:38 pm

Not saying it's not dangerous. "As long as I'm awake" may not have been a strong enough caveat.
Well, yeah, but the CO exposure is what put's you to sleep. ;)
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

ImLawBoy wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:39 pm
LordMortis wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:38 pm

Well, yeah, but the CO exposure is what put's you to sleep. ;)

Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Enlarge Image
Last edited by jztemple2 on Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

After single digit low it's up to mid thirties now. How ever the snow is still pretty deep and there's no going to town. Maybe Sunday.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Someone from work did in fact crash their car going home yesterday. Good thing he can do his entire job from home. Sigh... He got stick in a ditch and had to get towed out.

dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

stick in a ditch
What kind of food is that?
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

The El Arroyo restaurant has the situation covered:

Enlarge Image
Last edited by jztemple2 on Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Another freaking 6 inches of snow and then 48 tomorrow. I'm sure that won't end well tomorrow. I freaking hate this winter.

Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Zenn7 wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:34 am
Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:22 pm Water and power are back. I don’t recommend losing both at the same time.
I had the fun of wading through a foot or so of snow on the ground all around my house so I could roof rake. Have issues with heat in the attic getting to the roof and causing ice dams. Have some ice dams, but they're not too bad so long as I remember to keep raking the snow off. Won't get water in the house this way.
Won't get any water in the house IF I GET ALL THE SNOW. Having the stupid pine tree close to the house by the bedroom that's difficult to get around and not getting it quite thoroughly enough - water leaking through the bedroom window sill. Wife discovered it while I was out grocery shopping. Her combo scanner/printer was wet and a piece of paper of the 6 outlet power strip there was soaked. Printer's still OK and thankfully, the paper must have stopped water from getting into the power outlets on the 6 strip.

Scrapped what I could off. We were supposed to get 2.5 inches more last night, didn't get that much and a lot melted. Went out around lunch time today, nothing up high on the roof, just a little by the ice dams. Supposed to get up to 40 next couple days. Hoping that bit of snow won't be an issue and the ice dams might melt some.

Hate winter, but I know my wife couldn't survive a summer in the south (not in humid states like AL or FL at least). I'm not real crazy about life down there either. MI summers aren't usually too bad.

Need to find where it's 60's year round with no extreme humidity or other extreme weather. And then find out what's wrong with that place and see if it's worse than winter here.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Zenn7 wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:05 am Hate winter, but I know my wife couldn't survive a summer in the south (not in humid states like AL or FL at least). I'm not real crazy about life down there either. MI summers aren't usually too bad.
What humidity? We move from our air-conditioned homes to our air-conditioned cars to our air-conditioned restaurants and stores. We only spend a significant time outdoor when we go to the beach or swim in the pool :D
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

70 degrees here today. Last week at this time we had a low of -20.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

jztemple2 wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:02 am
Zenn7 wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:05 am Hate winter, but I know my wife couldn't survive a summer in the south (not in humid states like AL or FL at least). I'm not real crazy about life down there either. MI summers aren't usually too bad.
What humidity? We move from our air-conditioned homes to our air-conditioned cars to our air-conditioned restaurants and stores. We only spend a significant time outdoor when we go to the beach or swim in the pool :D
Yeah, your summers are every bit as unpleasant as our winters.
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Jeff V wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:44 am
jztemple2 wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:02 am
Yeah, your summers are every bit as unpleasant as our winters.
Until my snowblower broke, I was much more tolerant with "shoveling" the driveway than I am with mowing. Having to actually shovel while I wait for the part so I can learn how to fix my snowblower because I can't buy a new one at a reasonable price, much less one that is fit to fill my comparatively modest needs changed my tune a bit. I don't have the oomph to actually shovel my drive when we 12" with drifts above 2', or work with increasing mounds of snow.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I look at snow shoveling as my most significant form of winter exercise. Last week was tough because I was having to throw shovelfuls over piles taller than me (6'). In the 4 years we've been in this house, this was the second time I had to deal with it being that bad. The worse though was discovering I got frost bite on my right ear, the burning pain made sleeping hard for a couple of days, and now it's peeling as if it was sunburned.
Black Lives Matter
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Zenn7 wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:05 am
Zenn7 wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:34 am
Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:22 pm Water and power are back. I don’t recommend losing both at the same time.
I had the fun of wading through a foot or so of snow on the ground all around my house so I could roof rake. Have issues with heat in the attic getting to the roof and causing ice dams. Have some ice dams, but they're not too bad so long as I remember to keep raking the snow off. Won't get water in the house this way.
Won't get any water in the house IF I GET ALL THE SNOW. Having the stupid pine tree close to the house by the bedroom that's difficult to get around and not getting it quite thoroughly enough - water leaking through the bedroom window sill. Wife discovered it while I was out grocery shopping. Her combo scanner/printer was wet and a piece of paper of the 6 outlet power strip there was soaked. Printer's still OK and thankfully, the paper must have stopped water from getting into the power outlets on the 6 strip.

Scrapped what I could off. We were supposed to get 2.5 inches more last night, didn't get that much and a lot melted. Went out around lunch time today, nothing up high on the roof, just a little by the ice dams. Supposed to get up to 40 next couple days. Hoping that bit of snow won't be an issue and the ice dams might melt some.
I just say we have a new water feature in the back of the house. We've been getting heavy water damage in the back of the house (where the first floor extends and the roof is at a low pitch) since Thursday or Friday. I imagine it will clear this week when it's warm enough for the dams to melt. It's only the second time I've had this issue in the last 15 years, but this is worse than last time.
Zenn7 wrote:Hate winter, but I know my wife couldn't survive a summer in the south (not in humid states like AL or FL at least). I'm not real crazy about life down there either. MI summers aren't usually too bad.

Need to find where it's 60's year round with no extreme humidity or other extreme weather. And then find out what's wrong with that place and see if it's worse than winter here.
It's high 70s/low 80s, but I think San Diego and Hawaii are probably the ideal weather locations in the US.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Snow shoveling is a great form of exercise, but with my shoulder paralysis, I can't really lift the shovel to toss it aside with my arm, and end up having to use my back for that, and my spine isn't in the best state, either. Last week I had the kids shovel, but at one point Michelle got the car stuck and I had to shovel a bit. I shoveled for about three minutes and was in pain from it for two days.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

The water has stopped! Yay for warmer temps! Now let's hope that the new sump pump keeps the basement dry as the snow melts . . . .
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

ImLawBoy wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:15 am It's high 70s/low 80s, but I think San Diego and Hawaii are probably the ideal weather locations in the US.
I think Hawaii is great (I've been there a few times) but I've been at various business meetings in San Diego where we always rented a convertible because pretty much it is usually the weather for one there.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

In LA and it's suburbs the weather is.....smog.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Jeff V wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:44 am Yeah, your summers are every bit as unpleasant as our winters.
I never had to shovel six feet of liquid sunshine from my driveway :wink: