Tiny Houses and shipping container homes

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Xmann

Tiny Houses and shipping container homes

Post by Xmann »

My son graduates high school in May and the wife and I are seriously considering doing a major downgrade in the next year. We are thinking of buying some land and putting a shipping container home on it.

We having been watching the channel Living Big in a Tiny home series on YouTube and there are some incredible things people are doing.

Anyone else look into this or know anyone that has?
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Madmarcus

Re: Tiny Houses and shipping container homes

Post by Madmarcus »

I've thought about a tiny house or similar dwelling but I don't see it as feasible for two. Our 500 square foot apartment is about as small as I would want to go and much of that is based on the knowledge that we'll go back to a house with more room for hobbies and cooking when we retire. Outbuildings and a decent climate can help with the hobby space but even with that the 1250-1500 square foot Craftsman bungalows are more in line with my thoughts now.

Quick edit to say I have never watched the show you mentioned. So I realize that I don't really know what qualifies as Tiny or how big a shipping container home can reasonably be? I have seen many shipping container stores but always many of them together.
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

Madmarcus wrote:I've thought about a tiny house or similar dwelling but I don't see it as feasible for two. Our 500 square foot apartment is about as small as I would want to go and much of that is based on the knowledge that we'll go back to a house with more room for hobbies and cooking when we retire. Outbuildings and a decent climate can help with the hobby space but even with that the 1250-1500 square foot Craftsman bungalows are more in line with my thoughts now.

Quick edit to say I have never watched the show you mentioned. So I realize that I don't really know what qualifies as Tiny or how big a shipping container home can reasonably be? I have seen many shipping container stores but always many of them together.
We didn't put much serious thought into it until we started watching that show and saw the possibilities, particularly with cargo homes.
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Space isn't an issue, he's going to buy a shipping container estate like this one:

Enlarge Image
Last edited by Jeff V on Fri Jan 01, 2021 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Black Lives Matter
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Just don't get one of these:

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I can absolutely see the appeal of simplifying. But the fact that I'd have to get rid of most of my hobbies to do it would hold me back. I'd also be sorely tempted, if I had the money and were going to live in a house the size of an RV, to get an RV.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Having lived in a 1,100 sq ft house for the past 31 years, I would not want to go any smaller. Some of my Midwestern friends with their 2,500+ sq ft consider ours to be a tiny house. In fact, we hope to buy a bigger place for our sunset years. We'd like to have a proper guest room, a second bathroom, two real offices, and a "function room" where Wife can hold classes and do her projects -- ideally all on one floor. We can't transform this house because our lot isn't big enough to sprawl at ground level. If we move to the Berkshires, we can buy a larger, nicer house with the proceeds from selling this one.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I don't know anyone that's done this, though it's probably because it would require moving somewhere far from NJ that would accommodate this type of living.

I can tell you that we downsized our home 2 years ago and it's been much better overall. I think we went from about 3200sq ft to around 1800 or so. Depending on the size of the home you're in now, that might be something to consider instead of the drastic change in lifestyle that would be involved in what you're thinking about. Again, I don't know anything for sure, but just imagining a shipping container home space makes me think I'd pretty much be sleeping there and doing everything I could to be elsewhere at all times. I guess so much depends on hobbies and how you feel about personal space and quiet time.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
naednek

Post by naednek »

sounds like a recipe for divorce...
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 11:50 am I don't know anyone that's done this, though it's probably because it would require moving somewhere far from NJ that would accommodate this type of living.

I can tell you that we downsized our home 2 years ago and it's been much better overall. I think we went from about 3200sq ft to around 1800 or so. Depending on the size of the home you're in now, that might be something to consider instead of the drastic change in lifestyle that would be involved in what you're thinking about. Again, I don't know anything for sure, but just imagining a shipping container home space makes me think I'd pretty much be sleeping there and doing everything I could to be elsewhere at all times. I guess so much depends on hobbies and how you feel about personal space and quiet time.
Did the same, went from a 2700 sq house and a 9,000 sq ft lot to an 1800 sq ft house and a 2,500 sq ft lot. Never looked back. We're in a senior community right next door to a senior center. It's been great, don't regret the move for a moment.
Black Lives Matter
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

A travel trailer has about the same amount of living space and is probably cheaper.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 11:31 am I can absolutely see the appeal of simplifying. But the fact that I'd have to get rid of most of my hobbies to do it would hold me back. I'd also be sorely tempted, if I had the money and were going to live in a house the size of an RV, to get an RV.
I have spent 2 weeks in a trailer before. My own, so everything in it was mine and to be honest it had pretty much all the comforts of home in it. But in 2 weeks even a large trailer starts to feel pretty small. I can't imagine living in anything that small without having a large outdoor living area. And when you get rain and can't go out they seem even smaller.
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Scuzz wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 3:50 pm
Blackhawk wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 11:31 am I can absolutely see the appeal of simplifying. But the fact that I'd have to get rid of most of my hobbies to do it would hold me back. I'd also be sorely tempted, if I had the money and were going to live in a house the size of an RV, to get an RV.
I have spent 2 weeks in a trailer before. My own, so everything in it was mine and to be honest it had pretty much all the comforts of home in it. But in 2 weeks even a large trailer starts to feel pretty small. I can't imagine living in anything that small without having a large outdoor living area. And when you get rain and can't go out they seem even smaller.
I lived with one other person (that I didn't get along with terribly well) in a single bed hotel room not much bigger than that for about nine months, then lived with that same person in a car for six months. I can do small. I just don't know that I want to do small. I could still play video games and read, but tabletop games (both board and RPG), plus supporting activities (painting, crafting) would have to end, and my entire 30-year collection would have to either be sold, given away, or rot in storage, including books, board games, accessories, and miniatures. Yes, I realize that there are virtual options for tabletop, and they aren't terrible, but the tactile element is a big part of the reason I play.

To be fair, the idea of removing some of those distractions from my life and having things be so much simpler again does have appeal, though. I got so much more done when I had so much less to get done.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

The tiny homes show does recommend that you try renting one for awhile to see what you think of it.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 3:58 pm

To be fair, the idea of removing some of those distractions from my life and having things be so much simpler again does have appeal, though. I got so much more done when I had so much less to get done.
This has been stuck in my head since I posted it. I have too many activities, and I spread myself too thin. I really should do something about it.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

I don't think there is anything wrong with having a lot of activities, unless of course you pass up on some things to do other things and that kind of decision effects others. As someone approaching retirement I find that I will need to find some activities because I don't do enough outside the house.
Black Lives Matter
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

dbt1949 wrote:The tiny homes show does recommend that you try renting one for awhile to see what you think of it.
That's exactly what we are going to do once feasible with the virus.
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

I feel like if I was single, I could totally live in one of those micro-homes, but with other people living in the house, there needs to be more space.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I mean, I could totally use one as a library while I live next to it in something else.
It's almost as if people are the problem.