Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Isgrimnur

NFL 2021 Postseason

Post by Isgrimnur »

CBS Sports
Jets
Fired: Adam Gase

Gase tried to save his job with two big wins over the Rams and Browns at the end of the season, but that wasn't enough to convince the Jets to keep him. Gase was fired on Sunday after just two seasons with the team where he went just 9-23.
Jaguars
Fired: Doug Marrone

When the Jaguars fired general manager Dave Caldwell back in November, it seemed like it was only a matter of time before they fired Marrone and that's exactly what happened on Monday. Marrone has been axed in Jacksonville after a season where the Jaguars finished 1-15 to earn the top overall pick in the 2021 NFL Draft.
Jaymann wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:00 pm The Chargers fire Anthony Lynn. Not a surprise, but he won his last 4. :cry: Urban Meyer incoming?
Chargers
Fired: Anthony Lynn

The Chargers won their final four games of the season, but that wasn't enough to save Lynn's job. Although Lynn led this team to the playoffs in 2018, the past two seasons weren't kind to the Chargers head coach.
Last edited by Isgrimnur on Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Re: NFL 2021 Offseason

Post by ImLawBoy »

Michigan Twitter/fan sites are getting all excited about the possibility of Harbaugh going to the Chargers.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

LOL, the Washington Football Team wins the division but gets the 19th pick in the draft.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

pr0ner wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:53 pm
Jaymann wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:00 pm The Chargers fire Anthony Lynn. Not a surprise, but he won his last 4. :cry: Urban Meyer incoming?
The big rumor is Meyer to the Jags.
I would be OK with Harbaugh, or Belichik for that matter.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Urban Meyer has had to leave two jobs due to stress-induced health issues. I would think that an NFL coaching job would only be more stressful than college...
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:31 pm Urban Meyer has had to leave two jobs due to stress-induced health issues. I would think that an NFL coaching job would only be more stressful than college...
Not if he's coaching the Jaguars.
Black Lives Matter.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Jaymann wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:17 pm LOL, the Washington Football Team wins the division but gets the 19th pick in the draft.
As an Eagles fan, so glad they lost that game.

(1) Eagles get the 6th pick instead of the 9th.
(2) Giants and Cowboys are not playoff bound.
(3) The Alex Smith story continues, even if for just a little while longer.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I will also say that I really enjoyed Cris Collinsworth and Al Michaels tiptoe right up to the line of saying that the Eagles obviously weren't trying to win, but not outright saying that directly.
Black Lives Matter.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

El Guapo wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:36 pm
Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:31 pm Urban Meyer has had to leave two jobs due to stress-induced health issues. I would think that an NFL coaching job would only be more stressful than college...
Not if he's coaching the Jaguars.
:clap:
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

El Guapo wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:38 pm I will also say that I really enjoyed Cris Collinsworth and Al Michaels tiptoe right up to the line of saying that the Eagles obviously weren't trying to win, but not outright saying that directly.
Yeah, I tuned in late and thought WTF, did Hurts get hurt? Nope, just blatant tanking on national TV.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

What I don't get, though, is if tanking was the plan from the get go why not just start Carson Wentz?
Black Lives Matter
naednek

Post by naednek »

question. Will Runningman9 post in this thread, or wherever he wants? :P
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Jaymann wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:17 pm LOL, the Washington Football Team wins the division but gets the 19th pick in the draft.
Their pick isn't set until they exit the playoffs. If they win a game, they aren't drafting 19th. Unless that's a pick via trade.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

naednek wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:01 pm question. Will Runningman9 post in this thread, or wherever he wants? :P
I promise to only post about the off-season. :)
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

RunningMn9 wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:59 pm
Their pick isn't set until they exit the playoffs. If they win a game, they aren't drafting 19th. Unless that's a pick via trade.
Correct. But if they manage to send Brady packing it will be well worth it.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Hrdina

Post by Hrdina »

Jaymann wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:43 pm
El Guapo wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:38 pm I will also say that I really enjoyed Cris Collinsworth and Al Michaels tiptoe right up to the line of saying that the Eagles obviously weren't trying to win, but not outright saying that directly.
Yeah, I tuned in late and thought WTF, did Hurts get hurt? Nope, just blatant tanking on national TV.
I enjoy the thought of players from a 6-10 team complaining on Twitter that they didn't make the playoffs because another team didn't play hard enough.
Conform or be cast out!
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Hrdina wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:18 am
Jaymann wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:43 pm
I enjoy the thought of players from a 6-10 team complaining on Twitter that they didn't make the playoffs because another team didn't play hard enough.
I will say that it was a very NFC East finish, which I did appreciate.
Black Lives Matter.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Chargers please, please, PLEASE do not choose Jason Garrett as coach. That would actually be a downgrade from Anthony Lynn.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

He'll also have to work with a salary cap.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

noxiousdog wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:00 pm
He'll also have to work with a salary cap.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Health is not why he left either job.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Well, it was what the reason he gave to leave both jobs. I remember in Florida he did have heart issues before he resigned.
Black Lives Matter
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

The Texans have hired Nick Caserio as their new GM. No tampering required. I'm sure that will solve everything.

Honestly, if they hire the right coach, things will improve markedly. Even semi competent GM performance will seem like a miraculous revelation after the BOB debacle. Last I heard, Eric Bieniemy and Robert Saleh were the front runners for head coach.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:18 pm Well, it was what the reason he gave to leave both jobs. I remember in Florida he did have heart issues before he resigned.
He said he had heart issues, but they miraculously cleared up a year later allowing him to take the OSU job. Then he had other stress issues - shortly after taking much grief and a suspension for protecting a wife beater on his staff.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I may be misremembering since it's been years now, but I believe Meyer was actually hospitalized for stress/heart issues at some point during his tenure at Florida, so I don't think he was making his health issues up.
Black Lives Matter
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Wow - Doug Pederson fired only a few years after winning Philly's first SB since 1960.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

It appeared Pederson lost the team over the QB debacle.

Meanwhile: Chargers head coach candidates: Bills offensive coordinator Brian Daboll.

And will Belichik accept the Medal of Freedom?
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

So he tanked the final game of the season and got everyone pissed at him, almost certainly acting on instructions from the GM, and then they fired him. :lol:
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:34 pm So he tanked the final game of the season and got everyone pissed at him, almost certainly acting on instructions from the GM, and then they fired him. :lol:
LOL. He would have been better off if he had just spiked the ball at the end of that game and walked out of the stadium.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Jaymann wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:22 pm It appeared Pederson lost the team over the QB debacle.

Meanwhile: Chargers head coach candidates: Bills offensive coordinator Brian Daboll.

And will Belichik accept the Medal of Freedom?
I had to google that. Man. I'm guessing that he'll accept it. Belichick isn't the most public guy, but indications suggest that he's a little Trumpian by inclination as to politics. As cool as it would be to have a Medal of Freedom, the smart move is I think to say no, but I'd be surprised if he does that.
Black Lives Matter.
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

I think Belichick is going to bank on his career accomplishments shielding him from negativity and he'll accept the medal. It seems to me that most people distancing themselves from Trump, after having been close enough to him to accept things from him, are doing so to avoid blowback. Belichick is immune to blowback.

edit: So he turned down the medal, I was wrong about him.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

gameoverman wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:21 pm I think Belichick is going to bank on his career accomplishments shielding him from negativity and he'll accept the medal. It seems to me that most people distancing themselves from Trump, after having been close enough to him to accept things from him, are doing so to avoid blowback. Belichick is immune to blowback.

Yeah, I suppose that he isn't dumb.
Black Lives Matter.
Hrdina

Post by Hrdina »

El Guapo wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:03 pm
gameoverman wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:21 pm I think Belichick is going to bank on his career accomplishments shielding him from negativity and he'll accept the medal. It seems to me that most people distancing themselves from Trump, after having been close enough to him to accept things from him, are doing so to avoid blowback. Belichick is immune to blowback.

I am confused by feelings of respect.

I'm sure he'll make those stop soon enough.
Conform or be cast out!
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Surprising no one, Urban Meyer hired by the Jags.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Thank God his medical issues have cleared up and he can coach again!
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Hrdina wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:04 am
El Guapo wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:03 pm

I am confused by feelings of respect.

I'm sure he'll make those stop soon enough.
You can always just adopt the cynical approach that he realized that it would be stupid of him to accept it from Trump a week after Trump launched a failed putsch. That may even be true!
Black Lives Matter.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Chargers hire Brandon Staley as head coach. :confusion-scratchheadyellow: I'm sure he is a fine gentleman, but that is a bold choice.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Jaymann wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:10 pm Chargers hire Brandon Staley as head coach. :confusion-scratchheadyellow: I'm sure he is a fine gentleman, but that is a bold choice.
Staley was one of the choices the local talking heads were talking about for the Lions. I guess that's no longer going to be talked about.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Fun fact: When Brady was a senior in high school, Staley was in elementary school.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter