NFL 2021 Postseason

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

stessier

Re: NFL 2021 Season

Post by stessier »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:03 pm I’m currently pissed off since I feel I need to root for the Cowboys after they just got robbed of a TD.

How in the world in this era of drone cams, the cams that run the length of the field, and HD can we not get a proper angle of TD’s?! There should be one (of the dozens) camera sitting directly over the 1 yard line every time the ball is snapped within x yards of the end zone.
Why the 1 yard line and not the goal line? And on top would be hard - too many bodies to see the ball. You really need them all over the place and even still it's possible you won't see the ball.

How many sensors would you need to get 1" precision in a gps sensor? Like what if the entire inside of the ball was a gps sensor and you could triangulate the entire ball. Any part crosses the plane of the goal - TD. I think people could live with 1" of error...but maybe I'm naive.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Yeah, goal line, not sure why I said the 1. Too much tequila.

Seriously, they have so much potential visibility, and the flexibility that the drone cams offers is amazing. Park one over the goal line and shoot directly down!

If it would slow the game down, I would not be for it, but we’re just talking about an extra camera angle. 5 extra secs when reviews are needed?
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Hasn't soccer added a sensor to determine if the ball crosses the goal line? Seems a simple enough thing to do in football.

(not that I'm mad or anything that Dak didn't get that TD which would have won me my FF game...)
Black Lives Matter
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:51 am Hasn't soccer added a sensor to determine if the ball crosses the goal line? Seems a simple enough thing to do in football.

(not that I'm mad or anything that Dak didn't get that TD which would have won me my FF game...)
Goal line technology in soccer involves a lot more than just a sensor, and is decently expensive as a result. It's only used in the richest European leagues (and even then not in all of them) and in very high level FIFA competitions.
Hodor.
stessier

Post by stessier »

pr0ner wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:48 am
Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:51 am Hasn't soccer added a sensor to determine if the ball crosses the goal line? Seems a simple enough thing to do in football.

Goal line technology in soccer involves a lot more than just a sensor, and is decently expensive as a result. It's only used in the richest European leagues (and even then not in all of them) and in very high level FIFA competitions.
Looks like it is 250-500k per stadium. This doesn't seem impossible for the NFL.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

But in football it's not just whether the ball crosses. It must be in possession (*cough* Dez Bryant *cough*) and you can't have a knee down, as was demonstrated just before the Dak non-touchdown.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I don't think the Dak no-TD last night was due to his knee being down; there just wasn't a great angle to see if the ball crossed the line. And that cost certainly seems feasible in the NFL, but they've been resistant for other reasons I think.
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:02 am I don't think the Dak no-TD last night was due to his knee being down; there just wasn't a great angle to see if the ball crossed the line. And that cost certainly seems feasible in the NFL, but they've been resistant for other reasons I think.
I was referring to the Ezekial non-touchdown, where you could clearly see the knee down.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

I was referring to the one where there was a scrum as they tried to get the push over the line...then SECONDS later the ball surfaces from the depth of human bodies, and whoever had it in hand deliberately stretched their arm and ball over the goal line.
stessier

Post by stessier »

I didn't realize the Bears were planning on changing stadiums.
LAKE FOREST, Ill. -- The Chicago Bears moved one step closer to leaving historic Soldier Field.

The Bears announced Wednesday they signed a $197.2 million purchase and sale agreement (PSA) with Churchill Downs Inc. for the 326-acre Arlington Park property in suburban Arlington Heights.

"Finalizing the PSA was the critical next step in continuing our exploration of the property and its potential," Bears president and CEO Ted Phillips said in a statement. "Much work remains to be completed, including working closely with the Village of Arlington Heights and surrounding communities, before we can close on this transaction.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

So we've lost The Murph, the LA and Oakland Colosseum, the Metrodome, and now Soldier Field. What's next, the frozen tundra?
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

stessier wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 2:36 pm I didn't realize the Bears were planning on changing stadiums.
LAKE FOREST, Ill. -- The Chicago Bears moved one step closer to leaving historic Soldier Field.

The Bears announced Wednesday they signed a $197.2 million purchase and sale agreement (PSA) with Churchill Downs Inc. for the 326-acre Arlington Park property in suburban Arlington Heights.

"Finalizing the PSA was the critical next step in continuing our exploration of the property and its potential," Bears president and CEO Ted Phillips said in a statement. "Much work remains to be completed, including working closely with the Village of Arlington Heights and surrounding communities, before we can close on this transaction.
The Arlington Heights Bears. Get used to it. What other names would be reasonable? The New England Patriots are named such because that team is not in the city limits of Boston. The Midwest Bears seem geographically too expansive. The Cook County Bears? Doesn't have a ring to it.

This has been going on for quite sometime. Now that they've finally given up trying to excite people with horseracing at that site, it seems the Bears can build and move in. But they have a contract with the Chicago Park District for another decade I think...but a new stadium isn't going to be built there overnight.

The Arlington Heights site is accessible via several interstates, and theoretically should be less of a traffic nightmare on game day. Not sure what the city will do with Soldier Field...it's an iconic location. I've seen concerts there, but it's really only good for massive stadium shows (the last I saw there was Bon Jovi/J.Geils Band. Also saw The Beach Boys there, and ELP when they could sell out such massive venues).
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

New York only has one football team. :coffee:
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 5:32 pm New York only has one football team. :coffee:
And that's one more than Chicago will have. And we used to have 2.
Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

In terms of entertainment value, this is a bummer.

Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter · 6m
Bucs officially listing TE Rob Gronkowski as doubtful for Sunday night’s matchup vs. the Patriots.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

And in terms of the rest of us giving a fuck, it doesn't move the needle. :P

Now there seems to be pressure to deny public funding for a Bear's stadium in Arlington Heights. So how does that play out? The St. Louis Bears? The San Diego Bears? And maybe after some period of no-NFL we lure back the Cardinals?

On the news this morning, a sports guy said he talked to the architects that rehabbed Soldier Field 20 years ago and there is absolutely nothing more than can be done with that property. The footprint is locked, and the colonnades are immovable. It is the smallest stadium in the NFL, and size matters when trying to build a competitive franchise. It is assumed they will build a domed stadium in Arlington Heights -- when I was a kid, attending December and January games in bitter cold was a badge of honor, these days, not so much.
Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

Jeff V wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 4:38 pm And in terms of the rest of us giving a fuck, it doesn't move the needle. :P

Now there seems to be pressure to deny public funding for a Bear's stadium in Arlington Heights. So how does that play out? The St. Louis Bears? The San Diego Bears? And maybe after some period of no-NFL we lure back the Cardinals?

On the news this morning, a sports guy said he talked to the architects that rehabbed Soldier Field 20 years ago and there is absolutely nothing more than can be done with that property. The footprint is locked, and the colonnades are immovable. It is the smallest stadium in the NFL, and size matters when trying to build a competitive franchise. It is assumed they will build a domed stadium in Arlington Heights -- when I was a kid, attending December and January games in bitter cold was a badge of honor, these days, not so much.
Only a Bears quasi-fan would think losing one of the top right ends doesn't change the game's calculus.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

stessier wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 5:38 pm
Only a Bears quasi-fan would think losing one of the top right ends doesn't change the game's calculus.
The left end is the money end. :coffee:
Black Lives Matter
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Jeff V wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 5:27 pm
The Arlington Heights site is accessible via several interstates, and theoretically should be less of a traffic nightmare on game day. Not sure what the city will do with Soldier Field...it's an iconic location. I've seen concerts there, but it's really only good for massive stadium shows (the last I saw there was Bon Jovi/J.Geils Band. Also saw The Beach Boys there, and ELP when they could sell out such massive venues).
Have you ever been to Arlington Height Racetrack? While I suppose 'several interstates' are indeed connected to the one single tollway that approaches the area... but where is that not true? And that one highway that actually goes by the site sucks big time. It's where the 290 Tollway dies and turns into the poorly maintained 53.... it's garbagio.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

90 goes that way too. I've worked in that 'hood before. I'm not sure there's a better confluence of expressways in the area, but it's certainly better than downtown Chicago. I had season tickets for the Bears one year (the best year, 1985) and arriving 2 hours early for tailgating wasn't just bonus happiness; it was necessary if you wanted to get their before kick-off.

I would think that upsizing from poorly-attended horseracing to something people want to see will spurn some infrastructure development in the area. Keep in mind it's going to be years before this stadium is built and the move is actually realized. How many years depends on the willingness of the McCaskey family to eat the cost of the Soldier Field agreement with the Chicago Park District. But a new stadium still needs to be built, and that will take years at least.
Black Lives Matter
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Some notes:
1) For those looking to stream live games, while at least feeling like you aren't stealing it, and assuming it's acceptable to watch on something other than your TV....there is NFL Game Pass international. I just hopped on VPN in the Euro country of my choice, and paid for an international subscription (I want to say it was like $180?), and now I can watch on my laptop (well, on the monitor connected to the laptop). I have just accepted that unless the Bills are on a national game or playing the Jets, I'm watching in the other room on my monitor. On Sundays, I generally use the vpn to temporarily exist in the Netherlands and watch live. The NFL knows that I have a non-international Game Pass account as well. They don't care. It turns out that they are totally cool with me giving them as much money as possible.

2) My son (Steelers fan) and I went up to Buffalo for the opening game. The atmosphere was awesome after a year of no fans in football. But man did Josh Allen look off. My son had a very happy 5 hour drive home. But it's been nothing but sadness for him since, while Josh Allen has returned to his insane 2020 form. Hopefully they dispatch the Texans this weekend, and then it's the game that truly matters against the Chiefs next Sunday night.

3) I don't ever want to watch a Monday night football game again unless the Mannings are on my TV. I'm normally ambivalent about announcers, but man has that broadcast quickly taught me how utterly unnecessary they are to the game. If you want to be mesmerized, just focus on Peyton's eyes when the line up pre-snap. They are *everywhere*, taking in every piece of information possible pre-snap. I loved Peyton's disgust at McCarthy's horrendous time management.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I do like Peyton Manning as becoming the Terry Bradshaw of the next couple of decades. Except I'm not tired of Bradshaw yet...but it is unclear whether I'll survive him.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Looks like most of the country will be exposed to PHI vs. KC for the early game and PIT@ GB for the afternoon game.

Fox is kind of a tossup.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Isgrimnur wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 1:57 am Looks like most of the country will be exposed to PHI vs. KC for the early game and PIT@ GB for the afternoon game.

Fox is kind of a tossup.
Yeah, I get the PHI/KC garbage, but Cards at Rams for the late game, thank goodness.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Isgrimnur wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 1:57 am Looks like most of the country will be exposed to PHI vs. KC for the early game and PIT@ GB for the afternoon game.

Fox is kind of a tossup.
Super exciting to be living in the 35 acres of the country that will be forced to watch the NY Jets.
Make up bags of change
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Uh oh, Urban.

“Health issues” incoming in 3…2…1…
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Health issues from getting bumped and grinded? What a wussy.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Tweet was deleted. Can you give us a blow by blow.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Video of Urban at a bar getting quite cozy with a random blonde who appears to be 20+ years his junior.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

I guess I didn’t need to worry about the Bills looking past the Texans to the Chiefs.
Make up bags of change
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Isgrimnur wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 3:50 pm
I saw an article on the internet calling it the "worst fumble ever."

The Lions. The cure for whatever ails you. After a historically bad performance against Cleveland last week, The Bears actually resembled a team this week. But our running back might be dead (haven't heard an update on Montgomery, who was having a great game) and while Fields to Mooney was good today, The Bears are designed to have more input by the tight end and 209 yards is not by any stretch a breakout game for Fields. But he spent a lot less time eating turf today, which is good since a vegan QB might be perceived as not manly enough in this town.
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Cardinals look for real. Only undefeated teams are Cards and Raiders. We'll see if we can do something about that tomorrow night.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Jaymann wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 3:11 am

Fox is kind of a tossup.
Yeah, I get the PHI/KC garbage, but Cards at Rams for the late game, thank goodness.
I wanted that game but the way it turned out I don’t mind missing it.
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Nick Wright made a great point about Mac Jones. Belichick trusted an aging kicker who had not made a 55+ field goal since 2015 to kick a 56 yarder in a driving rain storm rather than trust Jones to make 3 yards against a banged up secondary.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

The trouble with being a Seahawks fan, is its hard to tell if they have won a game, or if the opponents have lost a game.
Sure the scoreboard says Hawks defeated 49's, but 49s had an injured QB for the 1st half, backup qb for the second half, the punter doing all the place kicking, and on their 6th string running back. And it was a close game for most of the playing time.

So it counts as a W, and its Wilsons 100th victory. I know injuries are part of the sport, but jeez, this one ought to come with an asterisk.
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
naednek

Post by naednek »

Jaymon wrote:The trouble with being a Seahawks fan, is its hard to tell if they have won a game, or if the opponents have lost a game.
Sure the scoreboard says Hawks defeated 49's, but 49s had an injured QB for the 1st half, backup qb for the second half, the punter doing all the place kicking, and on their 6th string running back. And it was a close game for most of the playing time.

So it counts as a W, and its Wilsons 100th victory. I know injuries are part of the sport, but jeez, this one ought to come with an asterisk.
Niners were marching down the hawks during the first half bit couldn't get any points. Niners D made them go 3 and out 5 times with about 3 sacks in the first half. At tge end of the 1st qtr the hawks had -9 total yards. Then the rookie came in and more mistakes were made.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Jaymann wrote:Nick Wright made a great point about Mac Jones. Belichick trusted an aging kicker who had not made a 55+ field goal since 2015 to kick a 56 yarder in a driving rain storm rather than trust Jones to make 3 yards against a banged up secondary.
Nick Wright is horrendous at what he does, but on that point, he’s possibly correct. But since he’s so bad at what he does, I’m reconsidering my stance.
Make up bags of change
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Yes! After that sloppy loss against the Cowboys, and going into KC, plus the Broncos and Raiders going 3-0, who would have thought the Chargers would be tied for first after week 4. And it does not appear to be smoke and mirrors.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

RunningMn9 wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:16 pm
Jaymann wrote:Nick Wright made a great point about Mac Jones. Belichick trusted an aging kicker who had not made a 55+ field goal since 2015 to kick a 56 yarder in a driving rain storm rather than trust Jones to make 3 yards against a banged up secondary.
Nick Wright is horrendous at what he does, but on that point, he’s possibly correct. But since he’s so bad at what he does, I’m reconsidering my stance.
Yeah, I'm pretty much on the same page as RM9 here. But it does seem bizarre to think that a 56 yard FG in the rain was the best choice there vs. trying for the first down and to get closer for a kick.
Black Lives Matter.