Fundraising complete, next renewal is August 2022. Paypal Donation Links US dollars CDN Dollars

What a strange, painful road it's been!

Everything else!

Moderators: EvilHomer3k, Bakhtosh

Post Reply
User avatar
Fardaza
Posts: 110
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:13 am
Location: Tennessee

What a strange, painful road it's been!

Post by Fardaza »

Hello All,

I finally got my desktop computer online today after about 5 months of being in a box! I've checked in a few times on my tablet, but I wanted to wait until I had a keyboard to say what I'm about to say. Here goes.

In late August, I contracted COVID-19. I was sick for about 2.5 weeks. After 4 days of no fever, my wife and I began a caravan of our 2 cars from California to Tennessee. We took 6 days to drive across country and stopped to visit a few relatives along the way. A friend of ours allowed us to stay at his b&b while our new house was being finished.

The day after we arrived I began having severe pains in my legs and back. These pains were so severe that all I could do was pace the hallway or rock back and forth in a chair at night. The pains mostly went away during the daytime. We figured it was a reaction to the long drive. After a few days, we went to the emergency room. They did a couple tests and sent me home to the b&b. Two days later I fell down the stairs because my legs could not support my weight, and the muscles in my face became paralyzed. I drooled when eating or drinking, couldn't raise my eyebrows, etc. My wife is an RN and suspected I'd had a stroke. Back to the ER.

They ruled out a stroke after more tests, but still weren't quite sure what was going on. They admitted me to the hospital. A few days later they told me I had developed Guillaum-Barre Syndrome. (sp?) The Covid virus had triggered this auto-immune disease in me. The nerves and muscles in my legs were damaged and would probably take a long time to heal. I was in the hospital and the rehab unit for 3 weeks. I left there unable to walk and still having difficulty with my face and swallowing.

It's now been 3 months. I've had several IV/IG treatments in and out of the hospital. The pain is almost entirely gone. I still have neuropathy in my feet, lower legs, and hands. That means that they have a constant numb tingling sensation that is hard to describe. It is getting better though. I hope it disappears completely in the next couple of months.

In the meantime, I still can't walk without a walker. The PT treatments over the last 2 months have helped considerably. I need a wheelchair whenever I'm going to be moving for more than about 20 minutes. Considering that I needed help to simply get out of bed or onto the toilet 2 months ago, that is a huge improvement! I'm aiming for walking out of the PT in about a month or two. My quadriceps muscles atrophied greatly because of the disease. My legs still can't support my weight enough to walk unassisted. That is the biggest thing holding me back now. Daily exercises and PT three times a week are gradually strengthening them.

My wife and I moved into our brand new house here in Tennessee in late October. I literally have people praying for me all around the world. Our new church family has been a true blessing. They have helped my wife building shelves, bookcases, entertainment center, and closet organizers. I can't do anything but offer encouragement and read directions.

Considering that about 4 months ago I was a pretty healthy 63 year old, this has been a dramatic change of lifestyle! Suddenly not being able to walk is hard to fathom when I really think about it. My wife has been amazing throughout the whole thing. She has had to do everything. Pray for us if that's something you do.

Anyway, finally got the internet connected to my house and my desktop up and running. I thought I'd update y'all and explain why I haven't been around much.

Playing Divinity Original Sin: Enhanced Edition for the last week or so since I could play it offline and I had plenty of time on my hands!
User avatar
Eel Snave
Posts: 2705
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 6:09 pm
Location: Wisconsin
Contact:

Re: What a strange, painful road it's been!

Post by Eel Snave »

Oh damn dude! That sounds terrible! I'm glad you have a positive outlook.
Downwards Compatible
We're playing every NES game alphabetically! Even the crappy ones! Send help!
User avatar
hitbyambulance
Posts: 7787
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 3:51 am
Location: Map Ref 47.6°N 122.35°W
Contact:

Re: What a strange, painful road it's been!

Post by hitbyambulance »

Fardaza wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:32 pm I still have neuropathy in my feet, lower legs, and hands. That means that they have a constant numb tingling sensation that is hard to describe. It is getting better though. I hope it disappears completely in the next couple of months.
have had this before. it did go away for me, but it took _quite a few_ months and it was a very gradual fade. (somewhere on the order of 6-9, i don't remember)
User avatar
Isgrimnur
Posts: 68741
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:29 am
Location: Chookity pok
Contact:

Re: What a strange, painful road it's been!

Post by Isgrimnur »

Sorry to hear of your troubles. Glad to hear you’re on the mend.
Black Lives Matter

Unrelated: "It's its own cloaca, shaped in its perfect, unique way"
User avatar
The Meal
Posts: 27111
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 10:33 pm
Location: 2005 Stanley Cup Champion

Re: What a strange, painful road it's been!

Post by The Meal »

Thank you for sharing and here's to a quick, full recovery!
2 + 2 = 5

Come play online poker with fellow forum members!
User avatar
TheMix
Posts: 8309
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 5:19 pm
Location: Broomfield, Colorado

Re: What a strange, painful road it's been!

Post by TheMix »

That sounds horrible. I can't even imagine. But I know that I wouldn't be able to be as up beat about it. Hoping for as speedy a recovery as possible for you.
Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
User avatar
Kraken
Posts: 37468
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:59 pm
Location: The Hub of the Universe
Contact:

Re: What a strange, painful road it's been!

Post by Kraken »

Hang in there. 63 is young (says the guy who's a few months shy of 64).

Me and Wife talk a lot about making one last move. There are many obstacles we have to overcome first, and a health emergency like yours would deep-six those plans in a hurry. I'm glad you set yours in motion before they could be shut down.
User avatar
Lassr
Posts: 15673
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 10:51 am
Location: Rocket City (AL)
Contact:

Re: What a strange, painful road it's been!

Post by Lassr »

Shiiiit! Glad you are on the mend. Hang in there.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
User avatar
Lorini
Posts: 7658
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 8:52 am
Location: Santa Clarita, California

Re: What a strange, painful road it's been!

Post by Lorini »

I hope you continue to feel better!
Black Lives Matter
User avatar
Jaymann
Posts: 12265
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2004 7:13 pm
Location: California

Re: What a strange, painful road it's been!

Post by Jaymann »

Takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'! Best of luck with your recovery.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
User avatar
dbt1949
Posts: 22250
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 12:34 am
Location: Hogeye Arkansas

Re: What a strange, painful road it's been!

Post by dbt1949 »

Other than that how's it been?
You've certainly had a tough time of it! I wish you well and live a long and healthy life!
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
User avatar
Anonymous Bosch
Posts: 8729
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 6:09 pm
Location: Northern California [originally from the UK]

Re: What a strange, painful road it's been!

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Sorry to hear of your harrowing ordeal, but it's good to know that your condition is improving.

BTW, I vaguely recall learning somewhere along the line that FDR was misdiagnosed with polio and instead likely suffered from Guillain-Barré Syndrome:

Did Franklin D Roosevelt have Guillain-Barré Syndrome?
GuillainBarre.org wrote:39 years old Franklin Delano Roosevelt (FDR) was beginning his political career when he was diagnosed with paralytic poliomyelitis (polio) after he suffered an illness with symptoms almost similar to those of polio. FDR recovered partially; however, he was permanently bound to his wheelchair and could not stand without support. This, however, did not kill his political ambitions. He became New York's governor in 1928 and later served as the president of the United States of America. In fact, he is the only president who served for four terms.

The fact that Roosevelt was really struck by polio is indeed questionable. Even though FDR was diagnosed with polio, his age and other symptoms, however, were consistent with Guillain-Barré syndrome (GBS); an autoimmune disorder - the immune system unknowingly attacks the healthy tissue-cells. This could have arisen after immunization or due to the mild infection he suffered. Roosevelt's symptoms eventually resolved, but he was left paralyzed. According to the physician who handled him, GBS was more responsible for Roosevelt's crippling side effects: the disease damages motor and sensory nerves.

Researchers after conducting the new analysis of FDRs symptoms suggested that it was GBS that actually paralyzed the president. Scientists based their re-diagnosis of the late president's condition with symptoms that are not concordant with polio such as; his age - polio is more common in younger people than in adults, his intense pain on the paralyzed legs - polio patients after a while feels no pain at all, even crippling of limbs which was inconsistent with polio - polio paralyzes unevenly, polio paralysis is restricted to the limbs - it doesn't affect the upper body. The bowel and bladder dysfunction that FDR suffered are also inconsistent with polio.

A team of Texas scientists headed by Doctor Armond S Goldman disputed the polio diagnosis that FDRs doctor had made decades ago. The Texas scientists carried out Bayesian Analysis (the probability analysis calculated by getting the product of the rate of polio in adults by the likelihood of the symptoms Franklin Delano Roosevelt had to occur in either polio or GBS). The statistical analysis gives a probability of 1 out of 4 that Roosevelt suffered from paralytic poliomyelitis while the remaining 3 out of 4 clearly suggests that he suffered from GBS.

Professor of Medicine - Dr Armond Goldman - the University of Texas, stressed on the fact that the absence of laboratory tests could have been a major contribution to FDRs misdiagnosis. Dr Goldman has good exposure on patients ailing from both conditions and is so confident to dispute the initial diagnosis of FDR. Other doctors like Dr Allan Ropper of Boston questioned Goldman's re-diagnosis, basing his argument on historical archives that recorded mobility on one of FDR's legs occasionally. Some historians also accused the doctor of attempting to rewrite history. Facts by Dr Goldman, however, tend to strengthen his point of view.

Roosevelt's doctor, Robert W. Lovett, believed that the president had contracted the polio virus when he visited a Scout camp 13 days earlier. Dr Lovett was then the leading American doctor for polio. For him, fever and the crippling side effects were sufficient to diagnose the president with polio. The reason why all factors were pointed at polio, the disease was rampant during that period with several outbreaks reported during the previous summer in many cities. In addition, very little was known of the Guillain-Barré Syndrome.

The truth is that even if the doctors would have correctly diagnosed FDR, there was no treatment for GBS and very little was known about it. Roosevelt would have still received the same treatment he did with polio diagnosis.
"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters." -- Daniel Webster
Madmarcus
Posts: 2691
Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:18 am

Re: What a strange, painful road it's been!

Post by Madmarcus »

Glad you seem to be on the mend!
User avatar
AWS260
Posts: 11511
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:51 pm
Location: Brooklyn

Re: What a strange, painful road it's been!

Post by AWS260 »

Good health to you!
User avatar
Paingod
Posts: 12452
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:58 am

Re: What a strange, painful road it's been!

Post by Paingod »

COVID is no laughing matter. It's creating so many problems that aren't specifically COVID for so many people.

I'm glad you're on the mend, but it sucks that it's taken so long to get there.
Black Lives Matter

"This free trial of 2021 sucks. I want to unsubscribe"
Dramatist
Posts: 3019
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 3:20 pm
Location: Wharton, TX USA

Re: What a strange, painful road it's been!

Post by Dramatist »

Continue to stay in the fight and I’m glad you seem to be improving. This terrifies me too.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Now Playing
Marvel Puzzle Quest
User avatar
Z-Corn
Posts: 4631
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2004 4:16 pm
Location: GR, MI

Re: What a strange, painful road it's been!

Post by Z-Corn »

Agree, terrifying.

Best Wishes, hope you heal quickly.
Black Lives Matter
User avatar
Smoove_B
Posts: 44370
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 12:58 am
Location: Kaer Morhen

Re: What a strange, painful road it's been!

Post by Smoove_B »

Wow, just catching up. Thanks for checking in and it's good to hear you're on the mend. What a scary situation - I can't even imagine what you've been dealing with. Here's hoping you continue to improve.
I'm so far off the map the sun is shining
User avatar
Carpet_pissr
Posts: 14490
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2004 5:32 pm
Location: Columbia, SC

Re: What a strange, painful road it's been!

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Insert "Hang In There!" kitten poster here.

I've heard a few cautions about the long terms effects of COVID, but more on the fringes than in the mainstream media. It's usually in the vein of "and remember, we still don't know the long term implications of contracting the virus..." when I do come across it, or even specific examples of people have directly related illness such as yours. Respiratory problems well past the time that the virus has cleared the body, etc.

I assume it's going to take many months if not longer to ascertain the real health repercussions of this thing, assuming we can rebuild the CDC after four years of intense damage.

Sorry you are going through it, but sounds like you are on the right side and getting better. :horse: :horse:
User avatar
Fardaza
Posts: 110
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:13 am
Location: Tennessee

Re: What a strange, painful road it's been!

Post by Fardaza »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:19 am Sorry to hear of your harrowing ordeal, but it's good to know that your condition is improving.

BTW, I vaguely recall learning somewhere along the line that FDR was misdiagnosed with polio and instead likely suffered from Guillain-Barré Syndrome:

Did Franklin D Roosevelt have Guillain-Barré Syndrome?
GuillainBarre.org wrote: The fact that Roosevelt was really struck by polio is indeed questionable. Even though FDR was diagnosed with polio, his age and other symptoms, however, were consistent with Guillain-Barré syndrome (GBS); an autoimmune disorder - the immune system unknowingly attacks the healthy tissue-cells. This could have arisen after immunization or due to the mild infection he suffered. Roosevelt's symptoms eventually resolved, but he was left paralyzed. According to the physician who handled him, GBS was more responsible for Roosevelt's crippling side effects: the disease damages motor and sensory nerves.

Researchers after conducting the new analysis of FDRs symptoms suggested that it was GBS that actually paralyzed the president. Scientists based their re-diagnosis of the late president's condition with symptoms that are not concordant with polio such as; his age - polio is more common in younger people than in adults, his intense pain on the paralyzed legs - polio patients after a while feels no pain at all, even crippling of limbs which was inconsistent with polio - polio paralyzes unevenly, polio paralysis is restricted to the limbs - it doesn't affect the upper body. The bowel and bladder dysfunction that FDR suffered are also inconsistent with polio.
Wow, I hadn't heard that! An interesting read. The part about intense leg pains is particularly appropriate.

Thanks for everyone's support!!
User avatar
LordMortis
Posts: 64046
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:26 pm

Re: What a strange, painful road it's been!

Post by LordMortis »

Wow. Be as well as you can be.
User avatar
Alefroth
Posts: 5830
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 1:56 pm
Location: Bellingham WA

Re: What a strange, painful road it's been!

Post by Alefroth »

So would you say it's better or worse than the flu?

At least you didn't die. That's the only stat that matters.

So sorry to hear what you went through and so pissed at people that don't take this seriously.

Hope none of your ailments are permanent and you're back to full health soon.
Last edited by Alefroth on Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Holman
Posts: 24856
Joined: Sun Oct 24, 2004 8:00 pm
Location: Approximately Wissahickon

Re: What a strange, painful road it's been!

Post by Holman »

Wishing you good health!
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
User avatar
Grifman
Posts: 19159
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 7:17 pm

Re: What a strange, painful road it's been!

Post by Grifman »

Sorry to hear this. Get completely healed soon.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
User avatar
Fardaza
Posts: 110
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:13 am
Location: Tennessee

Re: What a strange, painful road it's been!

Post by Fardaza »

Alefroth wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:11 pm So would you say it's better or worse than the flu?

At least you didn't die. That's the only stat that matters.

So sorry to hear what you went through and so pissed at people that don't take this seriously.

Hope none of your ailments are permanent and you're back to full health soon.
The COVID-19 illness was no worse than the flu. Unfortunately, I'm one of those 1/200,000 people that any virus triggers GBS in. It just happened to be the COVID virus in my case. Many doctors think that someone like me was just kind of a ticking bomb waiting for a virus to come along.

Thank you for your kind comments.
User avatar
gbasden
Posts: 6532
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 1:57 am
Location: Sacramento, CA

Re: What a strange, painful road it's been!

Post by gbasden »

Fardaza wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:51 pm
Alefroth wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:11 pm So would you say it's better or worse than the flu?

At least you didn't die. That's the only stat that matters.

So sorry to hear what you went through and so pissed at people that don't take this seriously.

Hope none of your ailments are permanent and you're back to full health soon.
The COVID-19 illness was no worse than the flu. Unfortunately, I'm one of those 1/200,000 people that any virus triggers GBS in. It just happened to be the COVID virus in my case. Many doctors think that someone like me was just kind of a ticking bomb waiting for a virus to come along.

Thank you for your kind comments.
I would think now, with everything going on and hospitals stretched would be the worst time for that bomb to detonate! I'm glad to hear you are feeling better and I hope you recover fully soon!
Black Lives Matter!
Post Reply