[Film] Black Adam

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Isgrimnur

[Film] Black Adam

Post by Isgrimnur »

HR
In the first superhero foray of his career, Pierce Brosnan has nabbed the plum role of classic hero Dr. Fate opposite Dwayne Johnson in Black Adam, New Line's action-adventure project featuring the DC Comics antihero.

Brosnan, known for being one of only a handful of actors to inhabit the James Bond mantle, is the last key member of the roll call for the production that will feature the big-screen debut of the Justice Society, DC’s precursor to the Justice League that takes a familial and multigenerational approach to heroics. Already suited up are Aldis Hodge as Hawkman, Noah Centineo as Atom Smasher and Quintessa Swindell as Cyclone.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Blackhawk

Re: [Film] Black Adam

Post by Blackhawk »

I don't know which Dr Fate he'll be, but he'd make a good Kent Nelson.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Code: Select all

Brosnan will play Kent Nelson
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Well sure, being all fancy and reading the article.
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

Dr. Fate is DC's Dr. Strange?
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Victoria Raverna wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:33 pm Dr. Fate is DC's Dr. Strange?
It's the other way around (Fate was around decades earlier), but basically, yes. There are a few big differences, though (Doctor Fate goes through different incarnations, for instance, but the core being doesn't change, just who is acting as a host.)
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Maybe next year, maybe no go
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 3:46 pm I don't know much about Black Adam beyond his villainy in the relatively small number of Shazam comics I've read, but this does look good, and some of the other characters are going to be fun to see. None of them are new to live action (two were in Smallville, two in the Arrowverse, with one overlapping), but I don't think any of them have been in film.

It looks good, and I'll be seeing it. It does look like standard summer superhero movie fare, though, if that's a thing you're tired of.

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Crap, I'd forgotten we'd kicked this thread off already. :tjg:

Thanks.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

:handgestures-thumbupleft:
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Smoove_B wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:46 pm
He looks like Black Silver Surfer in that picture.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im thinking this is going to be really good. Im kinda hoping it doesn't follow making him be evil because bad stuff happened to his loved ones then he goes out and does the exact same thing. Id like him as a middle of the road guy...a good guy who will definitely kill you if you're bad.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

The comics version was definitely more of a bad guy. Depending on what period of the comics you're talking about, he's either motivated by jealousy (of Shazam), lust for power (that's the original version - he was an earlier version of Shazam that became overwhelmed by the scale of the power and went bad), or just straight up revenge. Based on the story he tells in the trailer, this is closer to the New 52 version, in which he is all about revenge and lust for power (he killed his own brother to steal his power.)
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

So... Black Cain?
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 5:14 pm So... Black Cain?
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Eh, less petty. Cain was more of a 'grandpa likes you best!' deal. Black Adam and his brother split the power of Shazam, and he didn't like sharing.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Came back from watching Black Adam. Not bad, IMHO, better than some of the previous movies. They simplified the origin story quite a bit, IMHO.
Spoiler:
DCEU's Black Adam's origin was heavily truncated. Basically Khandaq used to be ruled by a despotic Ahk-Ton who found the power of "Eternium", then enslaved his own people to mine more of it. A child decided he has enough, and was caught and about to be executed, only to be whisked away by the wizard's council and given the power and turned into the champion for the people and to stop the king. The King found enough Eternium to forge the "crown of Sabbac", and the legend says Adam killed Ahk-ton and ended his reign.

Eventually Teth Adam revealed that he was NOT the champion that was whisked away by the wizards, but his father. His son gave the power temporarily to the father to help him heal his nearly fatal wounds, but before his father can transfer back the power, the son was assassinated by King's people. In a rage, Adam's thought was revenge, and with the power, he slaughtered the entire palace. Deemed unworthy of the gift, he was condemned to sleep by the wizards.
My Reaction
Spoiler:
The super-slow-motion was handled "okay", I think. We've seen many different speedster super-hero before, and this one... is a different style, as this guy was so fast he appears to blur between places, and this was sometimes used, but at other times, this was shown where he moves at normal speed while everything around him moves in super-slow motion, much like the Quicksilver sequences in X-men, but with a LOT less humor (unless you count black humor). It was fun to watch him grab an RPG round in mid-air and toss it at a vehicle, or toss a gunship into another, then use mass-lightning like Thor did in Endgame. But I don't like the idea that they shown he could be wounded by Eternium powered weapon, then went NOWHERE with that, other than a throw-away "This forcefield is powered by Eternium! Even you can't get through this!"
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Saw it after work the other day. It was okay, but ultimately felt like it fell apart at the end with a formulaic boss battle that felt like a rehash of every other end film cgi boss battle every dc film seems to include.

But man, I was convinced I was watching Mark Ruffalo’s son whenever Atom Smasher appeared….even more so when he spoke. That guy sounds and looks so much like Ruffalo it’s freaky.
He won. Period.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Wife and I saw it last night. It was better than a lot of the DC stuff we've seen, but didn't think it was great. The Justice Society members that showed up seemed a bit too cribbed from Marvel counterparts.
Spoiler:
  • Doctor Strange
  • Falcon
  • Storm-Shuri
  • Teen Ant-Man
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

hepcat wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 7:36 pm But man, I was convinced I was watching Mark Ruffalo’s son whenever Atom Smasher appeared….even more so when he spoke. That guy sounds and looks so much like Ruffalo it’s freaky.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

:lol:

He’s got a good sense of humor, that’s for sure.

Am I the only that thinks he sounds (and sometimes looks) like Ruffalo?
He won. Period.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

hepcat wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 9:39 pm Am I the only that thinks he sounds (and sometimes looks) like Ruffalo?
I've read everything on OO and I can tell you, for absolute certain, that you are completely alone in the thought that he's anything like Ruffalo. No one has mentioned this at all.

:D :wink:
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Our friend Unagi died today after a severe BAM from Issie. Details at 11.
He won. Period.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

hepcat wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 11:00 pm Our friend Unagi died today after a severe BAM from Issie. Details at 11.
Wrong thread. You could cross post it. Also make a post about the new post. You're never going to get your post count up at this rate. Who is your agent? I can talk to him. Wait, how old is your agent? I could swing by 1994 while Im there and talk to him then.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The Direct
In his post showcasing an early look at Atom Smasher, [Black Adam producer Hiram] Garcia shared his excitement at the future, noting that he "Can’t wait for you guys to see where we take this character!," a comment that would seem to confirm that there's a plan in place for Centineo's future in the DCU as Atom Smasher.
Even as Garcia's post seems like a clear indication of DC's intention to bring Centineo back to the fold, sparking a whole host of exciting possibilities, it's always possible that this doesn't end up being the case. On one hand, Garcia may just be speaking more optimistically, speaking to plans not entirely shared by the studio.

Additionally, even if DC is currently set on Atom Smasher's return, these plans may change.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Daehawk wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 12:01 am
hepcat wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 11:00 pm Our friend Unagi died today after a severe BAM from Issie. Details at 11.
Wrong thread. You could cross post it. Also make a post about the new post. You're never going to get your post count up at this rate. Who is your agent? I can talk to him. Wait, how old is your agent? I could swing by 1994 while Im there and talk to him then.
I like some cheeses, but not all cheeses.
He won. Period.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Isgrimnur wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 12:14 am The Direct
In his post showcasing an early look at Atom Smasher, [Black Adam producer Hiram] Garcia shared his excitement at the future, noting that he "Can’t wait for you guys to see where we take this character!," a comment that would seem to confirm that there's a plan in place for Centineo's future in the DCU as Atom Smasher.
Even as Garcia's post seems like a clear indication of DC's intention to bring Centineo back to the fold, sparking a whole host of exciting possibilities, it's always possible that this doesn't end up being the case. On one hand, Garcia may just be speaking more optimistically, speaking to plans not entirely shared by the studio.

Additionally, even if DC is currently set on Atom Smasher's return, these plans may change.
I honestly thought he was one of the best parts of the movie. He had an MCU Spider-Man feel about him. Innocent, good hearted and constantly feeling like he isn’t up to the task. It’s endearing.
He won. Period.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

It's on YouTube only? What is the world coming to?
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

As I write this, a Sunday afternoon.
He won. Period.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

What's on YouTube only?
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Blackhawk wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 3:36 pm What's on YouTube only?
I did a search on my TV for Black Adam and there were no other options.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

To stream? It's still in the theaters. It came in second this weekend behind Black Panther. I can't imagine that anybody but YouTube will have it anytime soon (after which it'll likely be on HBO.)
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

As a DC title, I imagine HBO is the first stop.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I should clarify my poor phrasing. By "I can't imagine that anybody but YouTube will have it anytime soon", I meant that searches won't find results for it anywhere but YouTube, not that it's available for streaming there.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Jaymann wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 3:40 pm
Blackhawk wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 3:36 pm What's on YouTube only?
I did a search on my TV for Black Adam and there were no other options.
Try looking for Dune 2 now.
He won. Period.
stessier

Post by stessier »

I saw this on HBO Max over the Christmas break. I enjoyed it. It's certainly better than the 38% it's getting on RottenTomatoes. My biggest complaint is how closely the Legion characters matched characters Marvel is currently using. Still, I would watch a second one - which is all DC can ask for really.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

stessier wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 2:37 pm Still, I would watch a second one - which is all DC can ask for really.
I don't think DC is asking for that anymore. :lol:
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I finally got around to seeing this. I was disappointed. I must admit to being somewhat tired of superhero movies and only gave this one a chance because it had the Rock in it. But he didn't have the humor and wit like most of the movies he's in. I realize the script was written this way but still, it made for a duller movie.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I only lasted about 10 minutes. :|
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter