MLB 2021 Post Season

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Re: MLB 2021 Regular Season

Post by $iljanus »

pr0ner wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:16 pm Max Scherzer and Trea Turner to the Dodgers.

They just got a LOT better.
I know the business rationale behind this but I've enjoyed watching those two play and I'm really bummed. I was trying to wrap my head around the Scherzer trade but Turner going as well was a gut punch.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Ya that's got to hurt. I think there is a good shot Bryant lands at the Mets. No way they don't make some kind of move with the new owners. Problem is we don't have much to trade as the previous owners sucked balls
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

pr0ner wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:16 pm Schwarber to Boston.
Schwarber seems to be pretty good, so that seems good, aside from him being currently injured.
Black Lives Matter.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

$iljanus wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:35 pm
pr0ner wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:16 pm Max Scherzer and Trea Turner to the Dodgers.

I know the business rationale behind this but I've enjoyed watching those two play and I'm really bummed. I was trying to wrap my head around the Scherzer trade but Turner going as well was a gut punch.
That's nuts. LA is even more stacked, pretty much the hands down WS favorite now. Just hope it's not Astros/Dodgers again.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

El Guapo wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:40 am
pr0ner wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:16 pm Schwarber to Boston.
Schwarber seems to be pretty good, so that seems good, aside from him being currently injured.
He hits bombs in bunches. If he gets hot on the playoffs, look out.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:00 am

That's nuts. LA is even more stacked, pretty much the hands down WS favorite now. Just hope it's not Astros/Dodgers again.
Probably Astros/Giants but we'll see.
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Lorini wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:00 am
LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:00 am

Probably Astros/Giants but we'll see.
I'm OK with Dodgers/White Sox.

MYT
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I think we can all agree that Red Sox / Dodgers is what the people want.
Black Lives Matter.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

El Guapo wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:13 am I think we can all agree that Red Sox / Dodgers is what the people want.
More like Yankees/Dodgers when America was 'great' amirite?? :lol: But fortunately I think, it's way more likely to be Red Sox/Dodgers :)

naednek: note, no one wants the Giants in the WS, just sayin' :)
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Lorini wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:17 amnaednek: note, no one wants the Giants in the WS, just sayin' :)
Of course not. The Cubs are the clear desired choice from the NL.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Lorini wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:17 am
El Guapo wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:13 am I think we can all agree that Red Sox / Dodgers is what the people want.
More like Yankees/Dodgers when America was 'great' amirite?? :lol: But fortunately I think, it's way more likely to be Red Sox/Dodgers :)

Eh, this Giants Team has been playing fantastic for the entire season. Sometimes you do want to see the best team in the WS. Just sayin' ;)

And doing it without their entire starting infield for huge chunks of the season. Everyone on this roster is stepping up.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Craig Kimbrel to the White Sox for Codi Heuer and Nick Madrigal.
Hodor.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Pyperkub wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:28 am
Lorini wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:17 am

Eh, this Giants Team has been playing fantastic for the entire season. Sometimes you do want to see the best team in the WS. Just sayin' ;)

And doing it without their entire starting infield for huge chunks of the season. Everyone on this roster is stepping up.
When the Giants tank the ratings, I'll laugh :) :)
Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Zaxxon wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:18 am
Lorini wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:17 amnaednek: note, no one wants the Giants in the WS, just sayin' :)
Cubs wouldn't tank the ratings the way the Giants would.
Black Lives Matter
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Javier Baez and Trevor Williams to the Mets.

Yan Gomes and Josh Harrison to the A's.

I'm going to the Nationals/Cubs game tonight. Right now, the only stars that will be there are Juan Soto, Willson Contreras, and Kris Bryant, and I expect Bryant to be dealt in the next hour.
Hodor.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

pr0ner wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:37 pm Craig Kimbrel to the White Sox for Codi Heuer and Nick Madrigal.
Very interesting. Kimbrel and Hendricks combined should help reduce the load on the rotation. Probably keeps both closers fresher for the postseason as well.

Barring more injury, of course.

MYT
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Lorini wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:45 pm
They sure can tank the team, though.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

He's...not wrong.

Hodor.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:03 pm
pr0ner wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:37 pm Craig Kimbrel to the White Sox for Codi Heuer and Nick Madrigal.
Very interesting. Kimbrel and Hendricks combined should help reduce the load on the rotation. Probably keeps both closers fresher for the postseason as well.

What's your Sox fan take on Madrigal and Heuer?
That's my purse! I don't know you!
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

ImLawBoy wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:40 pm

The Cubs did good. Madrigal is an excellent 2B and a great contact hitter. Like league leading contact rate.

Heuer I know less about. 96MPH fastball, good slider, OK changeup. He's probably destined to be a reliever. IIRC he struggled as a starter. But in few years he could be the Cubs closer.

Whether this is a win-win remains to be seen but pretty sure it will at least be a win on the Cubs side.

MYT
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Bryant to the Giants. That should about do it for the Cubs, unless they end up moving Hendricks or Davies.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

A friend of mine who is a big Sox fan is very high on Madrigal and not happy to see him go, but considered Heuer "no big loss" for this year since he hasn't been very good. He's definitely in win now mode along with the rest of the Sox, though.
Hodor.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Well I personally would have liked Bryant better Baez is a fantastic player as well. And they gave up a first round pick who's currently injured. So ya no brainer for the Mets. Who the hell is going to play in the Cubs game?
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Octavious wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:30 pm Well I personally would have liked Bryant better Baez is a fantastic player as well. And they gave up a first round pick who's currently injured. So ya no brainer for the Mets. Who the hell is going to play in the Cubs game?
Jason Heyward, Willson Contreras, and seven lucky crowd members!
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Really ticked off at yesterday's Cubs game. In what everyone knew would be Bryant's and Rizzo's last home game, they didn't start. When the Cubs had a chance to pinch hit with them, they didn't use them. Fuck that. Let the players and crowd have a moment.
naednek

Post by naednek »

Woot!! I hope this doesn't mean Lamont Wade Jr is done. He's been great

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
naednek

Post by naednek »

Lorini wrote:
Sorry I don't care about ratings... I want tobsee the best team and we all know right now that the Giants.

ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

So how'd I do?
ImLawBoy wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:53 am At this point, I think it's clear the Cubs are going to be sellers at the deadline, and they've got some good trade bait (if they stay healthy). Kimbrel is back to being dominant, and he has a team option for a reasonable $16M or so, which means he's more than just a short-term rental. If Bryant stays healthy enough to deal he should bring a nice haul given the overall season he's had so far. Javy is and always will be an enigma - he could have an MVP-type second half or he could double up the next closest guy in strikeouts (or both at the same time). He's a plus defender at 2nd, 3rd, and short. And he's just so damn entertaining to watch. Will someone want to take a chance and give the Cubs something valuable for him? Contreras is interesting, as he's under (reasonable) contract for a couple of years, I think. He's not a game changer offensively, although he's better than average for a catcher. He's still got a cannon for an arm and his pitch framing has gone from a liability to an asset over the last couple of years. If I needed bullpen help, I'd also want to take a close look at Chafin and Tepera, who have both been great (although Tepera's on the IL right now).

The one guy I don't see them trading is Rizzo, both because he's not going to get a huge return and he's the face of the franchise (even if still won't get vaccinated). It's possible, but I think he's the least likely of the 2016 guys to get traded.
Contreras stayed and Rizzo was dealt, but otherwise they traded who I thought they would (plus Jake Marisnick and Trevor Williams, but whatever).
ImLawBoy wrote:If the Cubs play this right, they could get the core for the next run at a championship. Or they could just do Cub things and get mediocre talent while trading away the core of 2016.
Jury will be out on this one for a while, I think.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Lorini

Post by Lorini »

naednek wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:02 pm
Lorini wrote:
Sorry I don't care about ratings... I want tobsee the best team and we all know right now that the Giants.

You'll be watching the Dodgers in October :pop:
Black Lives Matter
naednek

Post by naednek »

Lorini wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:11 pm
naednek wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:02 pm
Lorini wrote:

You'll be watching the Dodgers in October :pop:
I agree. Watching them pack up the gear out of their lockers while they head to the offseason with a disappointed look on their faces.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Oh look, the game went to extra innings, no wonder we lost. Gee I wonder what would have happened if our starting pitcher doesn't give up 5 walks in less than 2 innings? Or if our power hitters could actually get a man on third with no outs home? Hmmmmm.

Baseball is a dumb game.
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:52 pm

The Cubs did good. Madrigal is an excellent 2B and a great contact hitter. Like league leading contact rate.

Heuer I know less about. 96MPH fastball, good slider, OK changeup. He's probably destined to be a reliever. IIRC he struggled as a starter. But in few years he could be the Cubs closer.

Whether this is a win-win remains to be seen but pretty sure it will at least be a win on the Cubs side.
This is a Sox-centric take on Madrigal but here's a good paragraph:

Madrigal’s skill set is incredibly appealing, especially in a league where strikeout rates are out of control. Nicky Two Strikes (.284) also was Nicky Two Outs (.304) and Nicky Two Men On (.313 with runners in scoring position). If you’ve hated seeing Luis Arraez come to the plate in games against Minnesota when any kind of contact induces a wince, you can imagine what it’s like when Madrigal comes to the plate. I’m prepared for him to exact revenge on the White Sox in many a crosstown contest.

MYT
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Padres whiffed on acquiring a starting pitcher, but now may have the best infield in baseball with Machado, Tatis, Adam Frazier, and Jake Cronenworth.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Jaymann wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:14 am Padres whiffed on acquiring a starting pitcher, but now may have the best infield in baseball with Machado, Tatis, Adam Frazier, and Jake Cronenworth.
Heard Tatis got hurt?
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Lorini wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:16 am Gee I wonder what would have happened if our starting pitcher doesn't give up 5 walks in less than 2 innings? Or if our power hitters could actually get a man on third with no outs...
Your team has starting pitchers and power hitters? How nice that must be.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Zaxxon wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:34 am
Lorini wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:16 am Gee I wonder what would have happened if our starting pitcher doesn't give up 5 walks in less than 2 innings? Or if our power hitters could actually get a man on third with no outs...
Your team has starting pitchers and power hitters? How nice that must be.
It's funny. I get way less stressed over the Raiders (because they are supposed to suck) vs the Dodgers (who are supposed to be good but suck sometimes). Gotta manage expectations!
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Lorini wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:22 am
Jaymann wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:14 am Padres whiffed on acquiring a starting pitcher, but now may have the best infield in baseball with Machado, Tatis, Adam Frazier, and Jake Cronenworth.
Heard Tatis got hurt?
Star shortstop Fernando Tatis Jr. left Friday night’s game in the first inning with a partially dislocated left shoulder
Bad, but could be much worse.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Mets now have a -7 run run differential. It's so annoying as a whole they "should" have a good offense, but it just doesn't click like ever. Oh well can't expect them to fix 30+ years of crappy ownership in one year. :P

Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Octavious wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 5:14 pm Mets now have a -7 run run differential. It's so annoying as a whole they "should" have a good offense, but it just doesn't click like ever. Oh well can't expect them to fix 30+ years of crappy ownership in one year. :P
If you follow the Dodgers you realize that 'run differential' must be the dumbest stat after pitcher wins. They have this really large run differential but are the worst in the MLB in one run games and extra innings games. Go figure.
Black Lives Matter