NCAA Football 2021

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Pyperkub

Re: NCAA Football 2021

Post by Pyperkub »

Skinypupy wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:26 pm Urban in 3...2...1...
That's so 2020. :D
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Interesting list. Not sure if that’s just Thamel’s personal wish list, or what he’s actually hearing.

Early list for USC: James Franklin, Matt Campbell, Bill O'Brien, Luke Fickell, P.J. Fleck, Mario Cristobal, Greg Schiano and Tony Elliott. Former coaches who could be sought include Chris Petersen and Bob Stoops.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
WYBaugh

Post by WYBaugh »

Skinypupy wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:26 pm Urban in 3...2...1...
It's his dream job
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

It'll be a challenge for him to retire for health reasons and then come back all better in such a tight window, but he's certainly practiced it enough times that I think it's doable.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
JCC

Post by JCC »

ImLawBoy wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:58 am But the more you expand the playoffs, the less the regular season will matter. OSU is on the outside looking in for a playoff bid at this point, although it's still quite possible they get one. If it were a 16 team field, though? They'd still be solidly in the field. It's why there's no perfect solution here - better postseason means worse regular season and vice versa.
The regular season to me is already somewhat ruined in that there are only about 5-7 teams capable of making the playoffs every year. Expanding to 12 or 16 gives a lot of teams some prayer that they might make it one year. I am over bowl season. It was great when January 1st was where most of them were played so you had lots of games on all day, but now they are so spread out over several days for TV, I just can't be bothered.

Don't get me wrong, I love CFB solely for its regular season. It really is the best. I don't want them to go beyond 12-16, but right now the lion's share of NFL talent goes to about 4-5 schools. I am not sure what, if anything, playoff expansion will do to fix it, but expanding the playoffs will keep more fanbases hopeful in November.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

JCC wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:38 am
ImLawBoy wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:58 am But the more you expand the playoffs, the less the regular season will matter. OSU is on the outside looking in for a playoff bid at this point, although it's still quite possible they get one. If it were a 16 team field, though? They'd still be solidly in the field. It's why there's no perfect solution here - better postseason means worse regular season and vice versa.
The regular season to me is already somewhat ruined in that there are only about 5-7 teams capable of making the playoffs every year. Expanding to 12 or 16 gives a lot of teams some prayer that they might make it one year. I am over bowl season. It was great when January 1st was where most of them were played so you had lots of games on all day, but now they are so spread out over several days for TV, I just can't be bothered.

Don't get me wrong, I love CFB solely for its regular season. It really is the best. I don't want them to go beyond 12-16, but right now the lion's share of NFL talent goes to about 4-5 schools. I am not sure what, if anything, playoff expansion will do to fix it, but expanding the playoffs will keep more fanbases hopeful in November.
I have seen it argued that expanding the playoffs would spread out the talent because you wouldn't have to go to one of the top 5-7 schools to get into the playoffs. You could, thanks to NIL, bid your talent out. I don't like that part of it but it is what it is now.

But I only want an 8 team playoff.
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

JCC wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:38 am The regular season to me is already somewhat ruined in that there are only about 5-7 teams capable of making the playoffs every year. Expanding to 12 or 16 gives a lot of teams some prayer that they might make it one year.
Yup.
I am over bowl season. It was great when January 1st was where most of them were played so you had lots of games on all day, but now they are so spread out over several days for TV, I just can't be bothered.
I still really like bowl season, but only because it's more football. Nearly all the bowls are entirely meaningless, but often produce some really fun matchups to watch.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Hmm. Who were your 5-7 coming into the year?

Oregon? Iowa? UCLA?

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

Skinypupy wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:51 pm ...I still really like bowl season, but only because it's more football. Nearly all the bowls are entirely meaningless, but often produce some really fun matchups to watch.
I have never understood the argument about Bowl Games being meaningless exhibition games. They still matter in the final polls, they still matter for recruiting (Best chance recruits usually have to see your team play), all the statistics still count towards team/player totals, the wins and losses still count towards your season total, etc. The only thing they don't effect are final conference standings and determination of the National Champion.

Don't get me wrong, Skinypupy, I'm not picking on you as I have heard this argument before from many folks. I just don't buy it. That being said, there are definitely too many bowl games. But then again, there's not much to watch on TV in the middle of December, so any football is a plus, especially those weeknight games you can cozy up to after a long day at work. :P
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Pyperkub wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:56 pm

Hmm. Who were your 5-7 coming into the year?

Oregon? Iowa? UCLA?
There have been 7 years of the playoff, which means 28 playoff spots to fill.

Alabama - 6
Clemson - 6
Ohio State - 4
Oklahoma - 4
Notre Dame - 2
LSU - 1
Oregon - 1
Georgia - 1
Florida State - 1
Michigan State - 1
Washington - 1

Of those 28 slots, 20 went to the same 4 teams. Saying 5-7 going into the year is pretty reasonable (maybe even a little high) given past history.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Sure, but I want the 5-7 this year - did they include the above teams?

No. It was likely:

Alabama
Clemson
Oklahoma
tOSU
Georgia
Notre Dame
(other, if you go past 6)

It may still play out that way, but as of today, it sure doesn't look like it, which is part of the CFP fun. And, as we are seeing, it's going to be a lot better if the Pac-12 is good.

JCC

Post by JCC »

My issue with the bowl games is there are many of them where it's clear one team doesn't give a shit. (ie. A lot of their future NFL players don't play, it's clear watching the game that one of the teams is mailing it in, etc.) Don't get me wrong I still end up watching some of the ones that I am interested in, but my interest overall has waned year to year. Again, I liked it better when there were tons on January 1st - it felt like a normal game day.

As to the playoff with 4 teams. I mean you pretty much pencil in Bama, Clemson, and Ohio State every year. Granted with OSU and Clemson having lost, that may look unlikely. But, if Clemson and (especially) Ohio State win out - they may well still get in.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

JCC wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:48 pm My issue with the bowl games is there are many of them where it's clear one team doesn't give a shit. (ie. A lot of their future NFL players don't play, it's clear watching the game that one of the teams is mailing it in, etc.) Don't get me wrong I still end up watching some of the ones that I am interested in, but my interest overall has waned year to year. Again, I liked it better when there were tons on January 1st - it felt like a normal game day.

As to the playoff with 4 teams. I mean you pretty much pencil in Bama, Clemson, and Ohio State every year. Granted with OSU and Clemson having lost, that may look unlikely. But, if Clemson and (especially) Ohio State win out - they may well still get in.
Yeah, the Bowl system got WAY too big (that's ESPN wanting programming, mostly). Nice for the fans who want to travel during the holidays for sport over family, and better for those who just like to see some college football during the break, but TV also wrecked what had been one of the best sports days of the year - New Year's Day. IMHO, pre-BCS was actually more fun than BCS/Playoff. Not only did you have this amazing smorgasboard of great bowl games, but you also had the fun? debates still, regardless of outcome, and you got wonderful moments like Pat Dye becoming Pat Tie, by going for the tie when Miami beat #1 Nebraska.

Best BCS moment has been Texas/SC. Best CFP moment - probably Georgia/OU OT Rose Bowl, followed by the Tua comeback. Could also go with tOSU the first year rolling bama and then Oregon.

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

When asked about the USC job, this was Meyer's response.

If that doesn't inspire confidence, I don't know what does. :lol:
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

This should be an interesting weekend with some significant upsets. There are a lot of home underdogs facing teams who have yet to play a true road game.

One such game - #1 Alabama with a frosh qb @ Florida. I wouldn't put money on it (because Saban) but the recipe is there.

Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

If you are possibly including the Georgia/SC game, let me put your mind at rest. It will be a bloodbath. :(

(Even though SC did beat them at Ga 2 years ago in double OT).

Line: Georgia by 31

Haven’t seen Georgia play this year, but watching us (SC) flounder and struggle against two FCS teams gives me zero confidence that another upset is even remotely possible.

It may be the first season in years (decades?) where I’ve seen such poor talent overall. Like, NO squad or position seems to be anything but mediocre.

Even with a long history and pattern of playing down (lose to Wofford college one week, beat Clemson the next), it feels very different this year, and not in a good way.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Wow, this might be as bad of a team as I've seen under Kyle Whittingham. While we ended up coming back to take the game to triple OT against a pretty good SDSU team, Utah played the first three quarters (plus all of last week) completely uninspired and disinterested, getting absolutely destroyed on both lines of scrimmage. No offensive creativity, seemingly no field leadership, mental mistakes galore, and a team that is completely and totally out of sync. It's been a long, long time since I've seen this happen under Whit's tenure.

The only bright spot is that it looks like Cam Rising (who took over for Charlie Brewer and led the comeback) is likely to be the starter moving forward. He seemed to provide a spark, and I'll hope that he can somehow find a way to continue that next week. If he can't, it's likely to be a very long, very disappointing season.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

The Aztecs are predicted to be pretty good. This may be a good year for the MWS, although Boise may not be that dominant.
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Fresno State giving UCLA fits in the first half.

I wonder if 3-0 Michigan State will be ranked after beating Miami.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Well I‘ll be damned.

I thought they had a chance but after UCLA’s last score I had given up.
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Oh wow, just woke up and saw the score. Hell of a win for Fresno (sorry Pyper). It also appears that BYU’s going to win the P12 South this year.

This conference…sheesh.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Pyperkub wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:33 pm This should be an interesting weekend with some significant upsets. There are a lot of home underdogs facing teams who have yet to play a true road game.

One such game - #1 Alabama with a frosh qb @ Florida. I wouldn't put money on it (because Saban) but the recipe is there.
This Alabama team looks young on offense. They still have not learned you cannot relax after building a nice lead and the defense which was supposed to be so great looked horrible yesterday. Looked like the D from last year but don't have the offense to compensate at the moment. Which may lead to several close games with Ole Miss coming up then Texas A&M. Arkansas looks much improved also. I would not be shocked if Bama loses 2 games playing like they are playing now. Offense I think can improve and be fixed quicker than the D, I mean it's been this way the last 3 years without improvements.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

An interesting observation that has been a few places this morning. The P12 essentially shut down the season last year, with most teams only playing 5-6 games and opting out of bowls.

Can’t help but wonder if/how much effect that has on what we’re seeing this year.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Scuzz wrote:Well I‘ll be damned.

I thought they had a chance but after UCLA’s last score I had given up.
Hell of a gutty game by Haener. Hats off to that kid. I wouldn't be surprised if he has broken ribs and a significant hip injury this morning.

On the other hand, maybe one of these days ucla 's defensive coordinator will finally tweak the alignment on the free first down here! soft zone defense so that they can actually defend the sticks (end zone last night). Four of our last five losses kb and more) are directly related to the stupid alignment on that defense.

Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

I am glad Haener transferred to Fresno from Washington. Last year being what it was you couldn’t really tell what he could do, but he leads the country in passing after last night.

That was Fresno’s 4th straight over the Bruins, so added to the number of LA area players we usually have it is easy to get up for the game without being intimidated.

And the rush defense looks pretty good.
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Baylor transfer Charlie Brewer was Utah's starter for the first three games. He was less than stellar, although lots of that blame could be placed on a sub-par offensive line. He got benched in the 4th quarter of last week's loss to SDSU, with Cam Rising leading a comeback that took the game to a loss in triple OT. Rising was named the starter today for Saturday's game against Wazzu.

In response, Brewer just up and left the Utah program entirely today.

Wow. :shock:
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Skinypupy wrote:Baylor transfer Charlie Brewer was Utah's starter for the first three games. He was less than stellar, although lots of that blame could be placed on a sub-par offensive line. He got benched in the 4th quarter of last week's loss to SDSU, with Cam Rising leading a comeback that took the game to a loss in triple OT. Rising was named the starter today for Saturday's game against Wazzu.

In response, Brewer just up and left the Utah program entirely today.

Wow. :shock:
Way to respond to adversity. Ouch.

Probably would be headed to Rolovich and Wazzu, if he weren't about to be suspended /fired for not getting vaccinated? Seem like two people with the same idea of team (like Jamie Tartt? :))

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

After this, I'm pretty much over the idea of renting a Senior transfer QB to be the veteran "missing piece". Last year's Jake Bentley experiment was a disaster, and the Brewer situation is very similar. Both were guys who had great success and put up a ton of numbers early in their career, got derailed by injuries, and just weren't the same since. Granted, Utah isn't the greatest offensive situation for a QB (it's often been joked that it's where good QB's come to die), but both of these guys have been unmitigated disasters. Bentley transferred out at the end of last year (to South Alabama) and Brewer has now done so three games into the season.

Far better to try and develop young talent, even if there's growing pains in that process.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

If you can keep the young talent. Not easy in this day and age of free agency

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Very true.

Interestingly, there’s no indication Brewer entered the transfer portal, although he may just not have done it yet. He way have just walked away once he got benched.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Skinypupy wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:26 pm Last year's Jake Bentley experiment was a disaster, and the Brewer situation is very similar.
I was wondering what happened to Jake Bentley after he left here (actually that's not true...I just barely caught the name recognition and looked him up to see if it was the same one).

One in a string of our many mediocre QB's. And that pattern continues currently, sadly. We are using a TA/graduate assistant who came on board as a coach, as our QB (until a Georgia player stepped on his hand last game and crushed or broke it).

You have to admit the eligibility rules for the NCAA are an absolute joke.
Last edited by Carpet_pissr on Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

Pyperkub wrote:If you can keep the young talent. Not easy in this day and age of free agency
I absolutely loathe the new transfer portal and I'm concerned it's going to widen the gap between the Alabama, Ohio State, Clemson, etc programs across the country.

Having a bad start to the season? Screw it and just transfer.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Xmann wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:36 am
Pyperkub wrote:If you can keep the young talent. Not easy in this day and age of free agency
I absolutely loathe the new transfer portal and I'm concerned it's going to widen the gap between the Alabama, Ohio State, Clemson, etc programs across the country.

Having a bad start to the season? Screw it and just transfer.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk
Part of me thinks that it should only be available to students when there is a coaching change. But I also understand it, I mean if I was a student athlete and I was never going to play and I could go somewhere where I could at least get on the field then I'd want to transfer. But I don't think it should be available in the middle of a season.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Are we really seeing a lot of mid-season transfers, though? I know there are a handful every year that get some press, but I don't know about overall numbers. Doesn't seem significant to me. Plus, unless it's a grad transfer, I believe they still have to sit out a full year before being eligible (although this may have changed).

And I'm not sure that the transfer portal is going to help separate the powers from the rest of the pack. if anything, Maybe one of the 5 star QBs who went to one of the powers initially will want to transfer to a lesser school after he doesn't get the starting spot.

I'm pro giving the players power. I think Harbaugh (among others, I'm sure) has advocated for giving one free transfer to each player where they don't have to sit out a year, regardless of grad status, and I'd be for that.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

From what I'm hearing, Brewer still has a redshirt year available. So if he steps out before playing in 4 games, he can use this year as a redshirt then try to get on somewhere else for his final year.

So it's more of a business decision for him, but I still think it's a really bad look to get benched then simply just...quit.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

When combined with NIL (gee, how many players are just getting cars for NIL now?), it makes for some ugliness. I hope David Shaw is correct in that about 2 years it will have become less mercenary, Jamie Tartt Me! Me! Me!, and settle down into something less Wild, Wild, West and more stable.

This week's Forde-Yard-Dash has some indications about the cars as NIL:
Stroud was one of five Buckeyes who received a new car as part of an August NIL deal.

Rattler recently one-upped Stroud by working an NIL deal for not one but two cars.

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

just started the 4th quarter and USC is down 42-17 to…wait, that can’t be right…Oregon State? At home??

How on earth does that much talent keep going to waste? Maybe Helton wasn’t the problem after all…
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

I imagine the powers that be are happy about this so that the need for hiring someone from the outside is more obvious.
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

When Ty Jordan (Utah’s Freshman All-conference RB) died from an accidental gunshot last Dec, Utah set up a scholarship for him. The inaugural scholarship recipient was CB Aaron Lowe, one of Jordan’s good friends from TX. Lowe also wore Jordan’s #22.

It was just confirmed that Lowe was killed in a shooting in SLC last night. Horrific.

I think it’s just time to retire #22. :(

Edit: I tend to agree with this.

I will not get frustrated over a single play of a football game this year. These kids are warriors and I will back them 100%. Playing through this type of adversity and heartache makes them the toughest Utah team I've witnessed. You have my full support. Life matters more.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Pyperkub wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:06 am When combined with NIL (gee, how many players are just getting cars for NIL now?), it makes for some ugliness. I hope David Shaw is correct in that about 2 years it will have become less mercenary, Jamie Tartt Me! Me! Me!, and settle down into something less Wild, Wild, West and more stable.

This week's Forde-Yard-Dash has some indications about the cars as NIL:
Stroud was one of five Buckeyes who received a new car as part of an August NIL deal.

Rattler recently one-upped Stroud by working an NIL deal for not one but two cars.
And, of course, even with NIL pretty much enabling just about every form of cheating previously banned, there's still cheating going on. Per Wilner:
What do you think of players starting their own cryptocurrencies? — @LocustAutoX

I have no problem with it; crypto is a part of college athletics.

Schools are signing sponsorship deals with crypto exchanges.

Players are signing crypto deals under Name, Image and Likeness rules.

Heck, coaches are even using crypto to pay recruits under the table, according to our sources in the recruiting world.

It’s reality at every level of college athletics, unless or until someone says it isn’t. And that someone won’t be the NCAA. It would have to be the federal government.