NCAA Football 2021

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Isgrimnur

Re: NCAA Football 2021

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Texas Tech? LOL. Texas is like, whatever Lubbock.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Same as it ever was.
JCC

Post by JCC »

The SEC is going to run and dominate the sport if the other conferences don't figure out a way to align their interests against it or just partner up with them and get a say in things. (Assuming their interests truly are NOT in line with those of the SEC. None of the conferences play football for education or some high minded principles. They do it for MONEY. Money is reason 1, 2, 3, and beyond for CFB's current existence and has been for a while now.) The conferences already in bed with Disney/ESPN/ABC will have a chance to remain relevant - but they probably should be very nice and polite to the SEC while they do it.

I remain fascinated to see how this will impact the other (though lesser) cash cow of basketball. I'll bet CBS wouldn't say no to another 60 games being added (ie. dump the play in games and expand to 128 teams). Speaking of CBS, I wonder if they wish they had held onto their SEC (football) game of the week rights now?

The winds of change are blowing... or perhaps I should say GUSTING. Wild times.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Side note: it was mentioned above that the SEC might/should go after Notre Dame. ND has a contract with the ACC that says the ACC is the only conference they are able to join, if they decide to join a conference. I'm sure these things can change, but it probably would be pretty pricey. I fully expect the ACC commissioner to do whatever he can to convince ND to join, but I'm not too optimistic about that happening. ND likes to be a lone wolf.
Black Lives Matter
JCC

Post by JCC »

I think ND would (probably) be pleased to join the ACC in football as long as they can keep their NBC contract in tact and not share the money from that deal with the rest of the conference - all while sharing in the money involving their games that would not air on NBC. Depending on how the winds start blowing, that may be an agreement the ACC would (or should) be willing to make.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

JCC wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:22 pm The SEC is going to run and dominate the sport if the other conferences don't figure out a way to align their interests against it or just partner up with them and get a say in things. (Assuming their interests truly are NOT in line with those of the SEC. None of the conferences play football for education or some high minded principles. They do it for MONEY. Money is reason 1, 2, 3, and beyond for CFB's current existence and has been for a while now.) The conferences already in bed with Disney/ESPN/ABC will have a chance to remain relevant - but they probably should be very nice and polite to the SEC while they do it.

I remain fascinated to see how this will impact the other (though lesser) cash cow of basketball. I'll bet CBS wouldn't say no to another 60 games being added (ie. dump the play in games and expand to 128 teams). Speaking of CBS, I wonder if they wish they had held onto their SEC (football) game of the week rights now?

The winds of change are blowing... or perhaps I should say GUSTING. Wild times.
My (worst case) thought is that I could see the remaining power conferences getting a LOT of money from ESPN to setup their own tourney and just shutting everyone out of their mini-professional "college" basketball league/championship and telling the NCAA to piss off, like they are in football, and may be headed as a professional College Football League.

College Sports' chaos is just beginning. This will take years to sort out - NIL is the wild, wild west right now, and the SEC is declaring the NCAA irrelevant - football is just the beginning. It may have been incompetent before, but now it is going to be full-on corrupt, and College Sports will never be the same... if they survive as such at all.

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
JCC

Post by JCC »

Texas/OU officially applied for membership in the SEC today for July 2025.
Black Lives Matter

Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

JCC wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:57 pm Texas/OU officially applied for membership in the SEC today for July 2025.
With the expectation that they'll join earlier than that, probably in 2022 or 2023.
Black Lives Matter
JCC

Post by JCC »

Sounds like a game of chicken betweem OU/Texas and the Big 12. In theory they would each have to pay out $75-80 million to get out early. They are going to see if the Big 12 may dissolve before that and/or reduce the penalty (which some schools may want so THEY can find a new home quickly).

I guess the other Big 12 schools are going to scramble to figure out what they can do.

CHAOS~!
Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Sad Red Raider noises
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Just when you thought realignment couldn’t get any crazier, B12 commissioner says he has “indisputable proof” that ESPN is conspiring with the SEC and ACC to “destroy the league”. The theory goes something like this (copied from another board):
ESPN leveraged a massive new exclusive media contract with the SEC in 2024. In order to increase their revenue for this new contract ESPN then brokers a deal to get UT and OU to leave the Big 12 for the SEC. Importantly, ESPN only partially owns the Big 12 broadcasting rights. By contrast, they will have complete ownership of the SEC broadcasting rights, netting them a huge payday—particularly with the addition of UT and OU. After getting the SEC expansion done, ESPN then approaches 3-5 of the remaining Big 12 teams and tries to convince them to join the AAC, which ESPN also has exclusive rights to. This way they have a complete monopoly on the most profitable athletic conference in college sports and have destroyed a Power 5 conference they didn’t own complete rights to, significantly hurting their rival FOX. They also have another money-maker with exclusive rights now in a brand new souped-up AAC conference.
I suppose none of that is illegal, but boy does it make ESPN look shitty. Well, shittier than they normally are, anyways.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Skinypupy wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:36 pm I suppose none of that is illegal
I don't. But of course, everything at that level will be politicized, so whether or not it's legal will probably not matter in the long run.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

USC's top receiver arrested for felony domestic violence

Clay Helton must be sitting on the hottest seat in the entire country.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

That's my purse! I don't know you!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Pac12 will not be expanding.

Not terribly surprising, really.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 12:56 pm
I love it when Colorado shows up to the Interviews! ;)

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Well, was at my cousin's covid delayed wedding this weekend, but still represented before the ceremony : Image

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

College football starts for us tonight, kicking off against in-state FCS opponent Weber State. Almost Weber's entire coaching staff are former Utah coaches, so while I expect a comfortable win, I don't expect a complete blowout. That's not Coach Whitt's style.

Really interested to see what Charlie Brewer can do in a Utah uniform, and to see how the RB corps rebounds after the tragic loss of Ty Jordan last Christmas. Still gutted about that one, as he seemed poised to be the next great Utah RB. :( We brought in a ton through the transfer portal, and hopes are high for another P12 South title. It's a really tough division though, as USC, UCLA, and ASU are all legit.

So glad football's back, even if I'll be watching from home instead of the stadium tonight.
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

Let's go Vols!
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Xmann wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 2:53 pmLet's go Vols!
The ones playing for Oklahoma, Alabama, etc. ? ;)

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Skinypupy wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 1:59 pm College football starts for us tonight, kicking off against in-state FCS opponent Weber State. Almost Weber's entire coaching staff are former Utah coaches, so while I expect a comfortable win, I don't expect a complete blowout. That's not Coach Whitt's style.

Really interested to see what Charlie Brewer can do in a Utah uniform, and to see how the RB corps rebounds after the tragic loss of Ty Jordan last Christmas. Still gutted about that one, as he seemed poised to be the next great Utah RB. :( We brought in a ton through the transfer portal, and hopes are high for another P12 South title. It's a really tough division though, as USC, UCLA, and ASU are all legit.

So glad football's back, even if I'll be watching from home instead of the stadium tonight.
My guess is that the Utah fan base remembers quickly why they've hated Whittingham and Utah QB's/Passing game all over again. Maybe not.

Also, I am definitely not sold on ASU. They weren't very good IMHO last year, and they are definitely in "show me" mode. I have far more faith in the LA Schools being in contention as of today (and for the next month, ASU has a cakewalk early season sched as I recall).

I'll be at the Rose Bowl Saturday evening - Go Bruins!

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Pyperkub wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 3:16 pm My guess is that the Utah fan base remembers quickly why they've hated Whittingham and Utah QB's/Passing game all over again. Maybe not.
The Brewer of a couple years ago was the real deal, and I think we could have a potent passing attack if he returns to form. That's a big if though...considering how poorly his last season at Baylor went. OC Andy Ludwig did a masterful job with Tyler Huntley in 2019, and I think Brewer fits that same mold.

We're never going to be an air raid team (Whitt will always be run first), but I do think we'll see a bit more verticality in the passing game this year. I hope so, anyways.

I'm there with you on the fence with ASU. They feel like a team that could catch fire and run the table...or implode midseason and barely get to 6 wins. I'm hoping for the latter, obviously. :)
Last edited by Skinypupy on Thu Sep 02, 2021 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

Pyperkub wrote:
Xmann wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 2:53 pmLet's go Vols!
The ones playing for Oklahoma, Alabama, etc. ? ;)
Be easy on us, please Image

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

UCLA looked really good in their first game but Hawaii has this thing were they are good then really really bad. They have been that way as long as I can remember, and we play them every year.

Fresno State gets Oregon Saturday morning. After shutting out UConn (How bad could UConn really be?) 45-0 I imagine this week Fresno State will have to work for it.
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Scuzz wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 4:16 pm Fresno State gets Oregon Saturday morning. After shutting out UConn (How bad could UConn really be?) 45-0 I imagine this week Fresno State will have to work for it.
You guys got one of Utah's RB transfers in Jordan Wilmore. I was bummed to see him go as he seemed to have lots of potential, just got buried on the depth chart here.

I'll be keeping an eye on how he does at Fresno.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Skinypupy wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 4:19 pm
Scuzz wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 4:16 pm Fresno State gets Oregon Saturday morning. After shutting out UConn (How bad could UConn really be?) 45-0 I imagine this week Fresno State will have to work for it.
You guys got one of Utah's RB transfers in Jordan Wilmore. I was bummed to see him go as he seemed to have lots of potential, just got buried on the depth chart here.

I think he is the backup to Ronnie Rivers who chose to take the extra covid year. We should have a pretty good offense this year. Sadly most our games will be on a CBS cable channel I don't have. That's the WAC for you.
Black Lives Matter
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

UNC is in the pre-season top 10 since I think 1998. Lots of expectations but the all the skilled positions on offense other than QB are new, so it could start rough. Unfortunately, our first game (tomorrow!) is at Va Tech. Not the easiest place to start the season.
Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Scuzz wrote:
Skinypupy wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 4:19 pm

I think he is the backup to Ronnie Rivers who chose to take the extra covid year. We should have a pretty good offense this year. Sadly most our games will be on a CBS cable channel I don't have. That's the WAC for you.
CBS cable channel is worth it during CFB season for Inside College Football Tuesday nights with Neuheisel, Randy Cross, Aaron Taylor and Brian Jones

Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Before our last attempt at cutting cable costs we had pretty much every cable sports channel, and that is one I really miss.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Pluto TV?
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 4:50 pm UNC is in the pre-season top 10 since I think 1998. Lots of expectations but the all the skilled positions on offense other than QB are new, so it could start rough. Unfortunately, our first game (tomorrow!) is at Va Tech. Not the easiest place to start the season.
Oof, you called it. That’s a tough loss.

I watched the second half. For as much pre-season hype as that QB was getting, he was quite unimpressive.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I think that shouldn’t have been too surprising considering UNC lost all it’s experienced WRs and RBs from last year. They had accounted for some thing like 4,500 yards of offense. Howell definitely did not play well but his young WRs could get zero separation and when they did often dropped the ball. The new RBs were also pretty ineffective. All in all, a pretty terrible offensive game all around. At least the defense played well in the second half after letting Tech do whatever they wanted in the first. Still, losing our first in division ACC game is going to make it pretty difficult to get to the conference championship, which was the goal of this season.
Black Lives Matter
JCC

Post by JCC »

My take on the VPI/UNC game is that VPI fans should feel very optimistic but UNC fans shouldn't necessarily feel pessimistic. Definitely Howell's worst game, but I expect he will play way better the rest of the season. It was a very classic VPI game where they may the other team look like shit. That team's (UNC) fans shouldn't overreact to that. I still think UNC has a chance to win the division, but yes their margin for error is now slim.
Black Lives Matter

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

VPI?
JCC

Post by JCC »

Calling them by their old/legacy name: virginia polytechnic institute and state university. (ie. VPI)
Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Visiting Parent Incarceration.

Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Congrats on UCLA winning. I was a fan before I was a Fresno State fan.
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

That’s a great win by UCLA, the P12 South is going to be a really tough division this year.

Which is probably good, since the North looks like a complete joke. Washington loses at home to…Montana (WTF??). Oregon barely squeaks by Fresno (sorry, Scuzz). Stanford gets taken to the woodshed by K State. Oregon St gets whipped by Purdue. Cal is losing and Wazzu is tight with MWC teams into the 4th as I write this.

What an absolute dumpster fire.

EDIT: Cal and Wazzu both lost, to Nevada and Utah State, respectively. That's 5 out of the 6 North teams going down today. Oof.