2020(1) Olympics

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

hepcat

Re: 2020(1) Olympics

Post by hepcat »

Jeff V wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:04 pm
AWS260 wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:52 pm This Chinese pistol shooter (video should be set to his appearance) is my favorite athlete of these Olympics. His uniform? Jeans and a t-shirt. His shooting stance? Slouching casually with one hand in his pocket. The only thing missing is a cigarette dangling out of his mouth.
What a terrible thing say about such a highly trained athlete.

Before he comes in and says so, no, Lawbeef, I probably can't shoot a pistol as good as that guy. I bet I could bike or run circles around him though.
Also..."probably"? :lol:
Covfefe!
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

hepcat wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:37 pm Also..."probably"? :lol:
Sure, I used to be pretty good with a rifle. There's a non-zero chance I could be an idiot savant with a pistol, after all, I've watched a lot of Jet Li and Steven Segal movies.
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Did you also stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night? :lol:
Covfefe!
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

hepcat wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:36 pm Did you also stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night? :lol:
Not in the past decade, but thanks for asking.

Earlier today I watched the US/Czech basketball game, and for the first 3 quarters, my ethnic alma maters actually put up a fight! I'm Czech and used to play basketball. The final score was a blowout, but in the first quarter, the Czechs were ahead by 10. In my basketball playing days, I actually converted nearly 15% of my shots!
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I watched Air Bud years ago, so I bet I’m an Olympic level basketball player myself. :wink:
Covfefe!
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

hepcat wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:59 pm I watched Air Bud years ago, so I bet I’m an Olympic level basketball player myself. :wink:
You might have been back in the day before NBA players got involved. The Czechs actually have a Bull's player on their team!
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

There's a non-zero chance I could be an idiot savant with a basketball, after all, I've watched Air Bud.
Covfefe!
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

I opened a new thread the discuss what is a sport vs what is not a sport https://octopusoverlords.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=98426

Back to the Olympics!
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Jaymon wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:44 pm Back to the Olympics!
Going back to an earlier conversation in this thread, I have to say I'm amused that the gold medal athlete in Men's Archery is a skinny fuck with an upper body a lot like mine (just lacking the fabulously developed beer muscle).

Now on to other grievances. Why are some events not a part of every Olympics, like women's softball or baseball? Yet something as silly as the triple jump is in every goddamn competition? Do they have a limited budget for medals and only can hold a limited number of events? When a sport/activity/skill competition is highlighted in such a forum, it's bound to spark interest from young folks watching and set them on a path...only for that path to lead to nowhere when they are of competition age? It seems to me that the only reason to kill off a sport is because of an utter lack of global interest...that there's not enough competitors to keep having the competition. But that doesn't seem to be the case here.
Black Lives Matter
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

as for baseball and softball. those sports take , like, forever, and huge fields are required., and only 2 teams at a time can play.
other big field sports have time limits built in.

other types of games have multiple competitors at a time. but for a full go at baseball, it would take the entire duration of the games to work through a bracket.

for womens softball and baseball, is there a big demand for that outside of the USA?
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Jaymon wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:02 pm for womens softball and baseball, is there a big demand for that outside of the USA?
Baseball is huge in Caribbean countries and Japan (and I think Korea). The US doesn't have a track record of always winning. Women's softball is the female version of the sport, and US lost in this Olympics.

If they were never Olympic sports, I wouldn't necessarily be advocating for their inclusion. But they were, then weren't, then were again, and won't be next time, but will be the time after....WTF.. Way to jack around young athletes.
Black Lives Matter
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Jeff V wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:03 pm Do they have a limited budget for medals and only can hold a limited number of events?
The medals were donated... via recycled electronics.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Alefroth wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:45 pm
Jeff V wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:03 pm Do they have a limited budget for medals and only can hold a limited number of events?
The medals were donated... via recycled electronics.
So there's really no reason for it? Newer sports (whether or not they actually qualify as sports) are legitimized once granted Olympic status. To then withdraw it, or hold the event inconsistently, is a very shitty thing to do to people who dedicate their lives to being the best at whatever that thing is.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

BBC
A sprinter from Belarus who refused her team's order to fly home early from the Olympics has been granted a humanitarian visa by Poland.

Krystina Timanovskaya, 24, is at the Polish embassy in Tokyo after spending the night secured in a hotel under protection from Japanese police.

She said she was forcibly taken to the airport for criticising coaches, and voiced fears for her safety.

Belarus says she was removed from the team because of her emotional state.

Ms Timanovskaya told the BBC on Monday that she was safe, but said she had been advised not to give further details at this stage.
Her husband has fled to the Ukrainian capital, Kyiv. He is set to join her in Poland, according to a Warsaw-based Belarusian opposition politician.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Seeing small nations win medals - or even just compete - is one of my favorite parts of the Olympics.

Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

AWS260 wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 11:31 pm Seeing small nations win medals - or even just compete - is one of my favorite parts of the Olympics.
Only in the freak sports. When a Filipina won that country's first ever gold in women wrestling, I was quite happy for her and my adoptive country but at the same time surprised they never before managed to snag a gold in something like boxing.

The US still managed to win the most medals, and most gold, so I guess that's mission accomplished. Even though we had some let-downs in major sports that we were expected to win, we managed to prevail in some of the freaks. Not sure how we compared to the Vegas over/under, but on to winter games, where everything but hockey is a veritable freak sport (and thus, is dominated by freak nations...and yes, Norway is a fucking freak nation!)
Black Lives Matter
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

The 2022 Olympics are proving once again that it's a corrupt institution owned by whoever pays the most cash. That they'll allow Kamila Valieva to compete even after evidence of performance enhancing drug use has been confirmed, but they'll disqualify Sha'Carri Richardson because she smoked a goddamn joint, is a travesty.

Also, I'd really like to know if Elaine Gu dropped her US citizenship to compete for China as China does not allow dual citizenship, I believe. I suspect that she didn't though. To back that up, it appears Jeremy Smith didn't.
Covfefe!
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

I dislike the fact that one of the punishments for doping is "rename your team to ADD "Olympic Committee"! WTF man. At LEAST just make them use "Olympic Committee team" because when you put the country in front, they are still getting recognition.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

They should have been completely banned....period.

The only upside is that any Russian victory in any sport will forever be suspect.
Covfefe!
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 12:59 pm I dislike the fact that one of the punishments for doping is "rename your team to ADD "Olympic Committee"! WTF man. At LEAST just make them use "Olympic Committee team" because when you put the country in front, they are still getting recognition.
Next year they will be named "The Commanders."
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

hepcat wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 12:53 pm The 2022 Olympics are proving once again that it's a corrupt institution owned by whoever pays the most cash. That they'll allow Kamila Valieva to compete even after evidence of performance enhancing drug use has been confirmed, but they'll disqualify Sha'Carri Richardson because she smoked a goddamn joint, is a travesty.

Also, I'd really like to know if Elaine Gu dropped her US citizenship to compete for China as China does not allow dual citizenship, I believe. I suspect that she didn't though. To back that up, it appears Jeremy Smith didn't.
Canadian bobsled vet Kaillie Humphries became a US citizen in December. She won a gold for the US yesterday.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 12:59 pm I dislike the fact that one of the punishments for doping is "rename your team to ADD "Olympic Committee"! WTF man. At LEAST just make them use "Olympic Committee team" because when you put the country in front, they are still getting recognition.
They should have one team for all stateless athletes. Olympic Orphans or something.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 1:17 pm
hepcat wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 12:53 pm The 2022 Olympics are proving once again that it's a corrupt institution owned by whoever pays the most cash. That they'll allow Kamila Valieva to compete even after evidence of performance enhancing drug use has been confirmed, but they'll disqualify Sha'Carri Richardson because she smoked a goddamn joint, is a travesty.

Canadian bobsled vet Kaillie Humphries became a US citizen in December. She won a gold for the US yesterday.
That's how you do it. China is just outright buying athletes at this point. However, there may be athletes that the US has done the same with. I just don't know offhand. But it all just reinforces my belief that the Olympics are a joke.
Covfefe!
stessier

Post by stessier »

hepcat wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 1:24 pm
LawBeefaroni wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 1:17 pm

That's how you do it. China is just outright buying athletes at this point. However, there may be athletes that the US has done the same with. I just don't know offhand. But it all just reinforces my belief that the Olympics are a joke.
Why do you care what flag is on the laundry? Why not just enjoy people doing what they are best at?
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Then let's drop all national designations for teams/participants. Or let's eliminate the competition portion of it and make it purely exhibition. That's the only way your rebuttal makes sense.
Last edited by hepcat on Mon Feb 14, 2022 1:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Covfefe!
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Why have countries at all? Let's allow people to live wherever they like. :horse:

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Because you might end up living next to me.
Covfefe!
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

At the Golden Girls sexmusement park?

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

....and Orange Julius Stand. Yes.
Covfefe!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Sudy wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 1:42 pm Why have countries at all? Let's allow people to live wherever they like. :horse:
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Cross-country skiing-Finn Remi suffers frozen penis in mass start race.
Lindholm explained that he used a heat pack to try to thaw out his appendage once the race was over.

"When the body parts started to warm up after the finish, the pain was unbearable," he added.

MYT
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Maybe he should have stuffed in a heat pack before the race instead of after.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Biyobi

Post by Biyobi »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 12:38 am Cross-country skiing-Finn Remi suffers frozen penis in mass start race.
Lindholm explained that he used a heat pack to try to thaw out his appendage once the race was over.

"When the body parts started to warm up after the finish, the pain was unbearable," he added.
His trainer should have told him his crotchless suit was a bad idea.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

stessier wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 1:31 pm Why do you care what flag is on the laundry? Why not just enjoy people doing what they are best at?
You obviously don't recall the day of ABC's "Wide World of Sports," particularly, "The Agony of Defeat." That's the only damn reason any of us watch these freak sports. I found it very entertaining early in the Monobob competition when so many were butt-surfing their way down the track.

Now it's another 4 years before anyone gives a rats ass about the likes of Biathlon. And how the hell is it anyway that there's a sport that involves guns that we don't sweep medals each and every time?
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

As my daughter could tell you, it's only ballet if she's wearing a tutu.
Black Lives Matter