Halloween '21 - whatcha watchin? (Scary/Horror)

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Pyperkub

Halloween '21 - whatcha watchin? (Scary/Horror)

Post by Pyperkub »

Hi all - what are my fellow OO'ers watching this spooky season?
Last edited by Pyperkub on Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Pyperkub

Re: Halloween '21 - watcha watchin? (Scary/Horror)

Post by Pyperkub »

For me:

Finished:
Midnight Mass (netflix)
Alice in Borderland (netflix)
Train to Busan (amazon)
Buffy The Vampire Slayer s1 (amazon)
Buffy The Vampire Slayer s2 (amazon) SPIKE & DRUSILLA!!!!

In Progress
Buffy The Vampire Slayer s3 (amazon)

Stopped, may resume:
Squid Game (started it, looked interesting, wasn't in the mood and returned to Buffy)

Abandoned:
The Guilty (netflix) - strongly bounced off of (see netflix thread)
Last edited by Pyperkub on Fri Oct 29, 2021 11:27 am, edited 3 times in total.

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Lassr

Re: Halloween '21 - whatcha watchin? (Scary/Horror)

Post by Lassr »

Got tickets to see Halloween Kills tomorrow night.

As for other movies, just have to see what pops up.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Malignant on HBO Max.
Good movie. Pretty crazy twist.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I didn't know Buffy was on Amazon. I've been hankering for a revisit.
malchior

Post by malchior »

We are giving Midnight Mass a watch on Netflix over the next few nights.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I watched Diary of the Dead the other day. It was neither scary nor exciting.
Black Lives Matter
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

My podcast runs an October horror movie challenge every year so I'm watching 31 movies I haven't seen before. The list so far:

1. Maniac Cop (1988) - I missed out on this series, and it's a damn shame because it's fantastic! Tom Atkins and Bruce Campbell. Just tons of fun.

2. No One Gets Out Alive (2021) - Nicely unpredictable thriller that starts off as a supernatural immigration tale and then takes some wild turns.

3. Nightshot (2018) - French found footage movie filmed entirely in a single 90-minute take. Technically impressive, though it's not much you haven't seen before if you watch a lot of found footage.

4. Maniac Cop 2 (1990) - A rare horror sequel that nearly matches the first one in terms of entertainment. Loved it.

5. Scream Park (2012) - Stay far, far, away. Super low budget. Terrible.

6. Halloween Party (2020) - A true surprise - I went in expecting nothing out of a rather tired premise, and ended up really enjoying this one. While it's certainly a low budget effort, there are some cool ideas here and the cast turns a movie that should have been terrible into something quite fun.

7. Fear Pharm 2 (2021) - Follow-up to last year's FEAR PHARM, starring a friend of mine, Emily Sweet. This sequel isn't as entertaining, but they at least do a good job continuing the story.

8. V/H/S/94 (2021) - I've always enjoyed the V/H/S series to some extent, and this one was no exception. While not every sequence lands, there were a couple on here I really enjoyed.

9. Ouija Shark (2020) - If you thought Scream Park was low budget....eeesh. This looks like it was filmed with a couple of films and a camcorder. And the shark is an actual hand puppet. I'm not kidding.

10. King Cobra (1999) - This direct to video effort was inexplicably made in 1999, even though it *feels* like it came right out of the mid-80s. Starring 80s personalities such as Hoyt Axton (Gremlins) and Pat Morita (Karate Kid), it's somehow still comes off as a lot of fun.

11. Scream, Queen: My Nightmare on Elm Street - Riveting documentary about gay rights activist Mark Patton who starred in Nightmare on Elm Street 2. Eye-opening insight into how homosexuals were treated in the 1980s, and how his career as a leading man was effectively destroyed after this one film. Really recommend this one.

12. First Born (2007) - Elisabeth Shue stars in this typical "pregnant women be crazy!" flick that feels only one slight notch above a Lifetime movie.

13. Prophecy (1979) - Do you like bear movies? What about MUTANT bear movies? This is a really fun flick with some fantastic monster effects for the time. Sure it's a Jaws rip-off, but wasn't every monster movie after 1975?

14. The Final Girls (2016) - Entertaining horror-comedy deconstruction of slasher flicks starring Taissa Farmiga, one of my absolute favorites.

15. Subspecies (1991) - Full Moon's entry into the vampire genre somehow doesn't "suck." Playing it largely straight compared to most of their later productions, this film spawned a number of popular sequels. Wasn't nearly as bad as I was expecting.

16. Sisters (1972) - Riveting Brian De Palma classic starring a really young Margot Kidder. Absolutely loved this one.

17. The Killing of a Sacred Deer (2017) - This absolutely terrifying tale of a teenager infiltrating the life of a successful surgeon was one of the best I saw this month. Barry Keoghan's performance is one of the best I've seen in a horror film in several years.

18. Black Christmas (2019) - The original movie is one of my favorite horror films. This movie steals the title for a cash grab and replaces the plot with a preachy "women vs frat bros" storyline that annoyed me to no end. Total garbage, I hated this movie on multiple levels.

19. Spiral: From the Book of Saw (2021) - I had really high hopes for this Chris Rock Saw entry, thinking we would finally get the true refresh of the series that JIGSAW failed to deliver. Nope! In another complete bait and switch, it's just another Saw with the same plot we've seen in every movie before it. I'm done with this franchise.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

The Poughkeepsie Tapes
Stop funding for NPR
Brian

Post by Brian »

I've mostly been watching reaction videos to horror movies

I follow two different channels, Natalie Gold and TBR Schmitt.

Natalie is just adorable and runs her emotions at wide open throttle. Prepare for a lot of crying if you watch her channel.

TBR Schmitt is a husband/wife duo so I really enjoy them reacting off of each other and the mix of viewpoints.
These guys also post way more often at roughly one or two videos a week.

Here's Natalie reacting to A Quite Place

TBR Schmitt doing classic horror movies this month

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Lassr wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:56 pm Got tickets to see Halloween Kills tomorrow night.

I just noticed this is streaming on Peacock now. I'll have to check it out tonight. I like Green's work usually.

Edit: but not this time. Ugh.
He won. Period.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Brian wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:03 am I've mostly been watching reaction videos to horror movies
honest questions... why would someone do this? why is this a thing?
Brian

Post by Brian »

It's like when you show something to a friend and you watch their reaction.

You know what's going to happen at points along the movie so it's interesting (to me) to see how other people react to certain scenes, lines of dialog, etc. I don't watch the videos if the reactors are watching something I haven't seen yet because if I ever do watch it, I won't want spoilers.

Also, it's fun to see people enjoying the same thing that you've enjoyed and reacting in their own way.

Additionally, the two channels I watch follow up their watching experience with a breakdown of what they watched, if and why the enjoyed it, discuss key scenes, acting/actors, soundtracks, film techniques, etc.
Even though it's a one sided conversation, I enjoy getting other peoples perspectives regarding movies that I've experienced.
Last edited by Brian on Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Every weekend we watch a movie each day from by dvd collection. Last weekend it was Hobbs and Shaw and Black Widow.
Don't know what I'll pick for the upcoming weekend yet.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Brian wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:07 am It's like when you show something to a friend and you watch their reaction.
And your friend knows they are being watched so they react in waaaaayyyyyyy over the top fashion.
I'm mean seriously.......the reactions are so fake and far away from how someone who is not pimping for views that it is laughable.

Same with those ones with people reacting to music.
Ugh.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Yeah, I had some issues with HALLOWEEN KILLS. I think it was a bit of a step down from HALLOWEEN (2018). While I appreciate that they've managed to capture the look and brutality of Michael Myers in a way many of the sequels failed to do, I had some problems with the heavy-handed fan service in this sequel. Seriously I haven't felt this slapped in the face with FAN SERVICE since The Force Awakens, and I thought that would be hard to top. It was downright distracting.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

The new Muppet Haunted Mansion special on Disney + was pretty good. It was a bit short, but I thought it was well done especially if you know all the backstory on the Haunted Mansion.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

YellowKing wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:44 am Yeah, I had some issues with HALLOWEEN KILLS. I think it was a bit of a step down from HALLOWEEN (2018). While I appreciate that they've managed to capture the look and brutality of Michael Myers in a way many of the sequels failed to do, I had some problems with the heavy-handed fan service in this sequel. Seriously I haven't felt this slapped in the face with FAN SERVICE since The Force Awakens, and I thought that would be hard to top. It was downright distracting.
What I hated was
Spoiler:
the final moments where an entire mob has him cornered....and instead of attacking en masse, they do classic hollywood action film individual attacks. It was like a bad Jean Claude Van Damme film.

But other than that, I didn't really see anything new it brought to the table. It just felt like more of the same. The heavy handed mob mentality side story was just that...too heavy handed.
He won. Period.
Brian

Post by Brian »

stimpy wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:18 am Same with those ones with people reacting to music.
Ugh.
Must suck to be so cynical.

Also, let people enjoy things.

I wasn't originally going to answer HBA's question fearing getting a response exactly like yours but he seemed to sincerely want to know why I would watch something like this so I answered it with the same sincerity.

If he feels the same way you do, he at least had the decency to keep it to himself and not piss all over something somebody else enjoys.

Also also, watch TBR Schmitt and his wife react to The Fly and tell me they are faking their reactions.
Brian

Post by Brian »

Let me follow up by saying, you're not entirely wrong about some of these reaction videos being over the top and ridiculous. I've seen a fair share of those....

That's probably a large part of why I enjoy the two that I do follow because of the sincerity that shows in their reactions.

Or, maybe I'm just a gullible fool and they are putting one over on me but if they are, I'm still enjoying them.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

And it must suck to get so upset over something so stupid. Yeesh.
Sorry if I hit a nerve and I dont agree with you on reaction videos.

Now if you had said how great Ryan's Toy Review is, I would have agreed!!!!!
I love watching that little munchkin give his opinion on the latest LOL Surprise dolls!!!
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Brian

Post by Brian »

stimpy wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:11 pm And it must suck to get so upset over something so stupid. Yeesh.
Sorry if I hit a nerve and I dont agree with you on reaction videos.

Now if you had said how great Ryan's Toy Review is, I would have agreed!!!!!
I love watching that little munchkin give his opinion on the latest LOL Surprise dolls!!!
Yeah, it does kinda suck to get upset over this.
I was having a nice day and then you came along and basically said, "these videos are stupid and if you like them you must be stupid too because they are all so fake" so, yeah, a bit upsetting.

As to Ryan's Toy Review, I have zero interest in it, will likely never watch it, but I am happy that you enjoy it and wish you many more enjoyable episodes.

Hopefully I never get cynical enough to feel the need to denigrate someone for something they enjoy (as long as that thing is not something that harms somebody else).
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I watch Taylor Swift song reaction videos so I'm going to slowly back away from this conversation. :D
Pyperkub

Re: Halloween '21 - watcha watchin? (Scary/Horror)

Post by Pyperkub »

Pyperkub wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:39 pm For me:

Finished:
Midnight Mass (netflix)
Alice in Borderland (netflix)
Train to Busan (amazon)

In Progress
Buffy The Vampire Slayer s1 (amazon)

Stopped, may resume:
Squid Game (started it, looked interesting, wasn't in the mood and returned to Buffy)

Abandoned:
The Guilty (netflix) - strongly bounced off of (see netflix thread)
Watched Train to Busan (amazon) over the weekend. I had wanted to watch it for awhile, but it disappeared from the streaming services, but it cropped up again and I didn't miss it this weekend.

An excellent Korean (English subtitles) Zombie flick.
Last edited by Pyperkub on Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

YellowKing wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:32 pm I watch Taylor Swift song reaction videos so I'm going to slowly back away from this conversation. :D
You're not supposed to be in your happy place, you're supposed to get spooky! :mrgreen:

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

YellowKing wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:44 am Yeah, I had some issues with HALLOWEEN KILLS. I think it was a bit of a step down from HALLOWEEN (2018). While I appreciate that they've managed to capture the look and brutality of Michael Myers in a way many of the sequels failed to do, I had some problems with the heavy-handed fan service in this sequel. Seriously I haven't felt this slapped in the face with FAN SERVICE since The Force Awakens, and I thought that would be hard to top. It was downright distracting.
So, you're telling us you wanted Taylor Swift to star in it? ;)

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

If they make a reaction video of people reacting to reaction videos, would the universe fold in on itself?
He won. Period.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

....crap, the answer was "yes".
He won. Period.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Brian wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:07 am
Even though it's a one sided conversation, I enjoy getting other peoples perspectives regarding movies that I've experienced.
i was thinking about it and was just about to say '..i think i get that, but still don't get it', but this last sentence _does_ have an analog to something i do - where i seek out reviews for a book i really really liked or really really did not like, to see if other people saw in it what i did. feelings validation, i guess.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

While I don't get the appeal of the exaggerated emotional 'reactions', I do occasionally enjoy a reaction video where the reactor (?) is actually knowledgeable about the subject and/or medium and the conversation is less about the emotional "Oh gosh!" and more of a discussion of what's happening on screen from the expert's perspective.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:00 am While I don't get the appeal of the exaggerated emotional 'reactions', I do occasionally enjoy a reaction video where the reactor (?) is actually knowledgeable about the subject and/or medium and the conversation is less about the emotional "Oh gosh!" and more of a discussion of what's happening on screen from the expert's perspective.
I think those are more review oriented than reactions.
The ones I was referring to are the OMG!!!!!! WHAT WAS THAT SOUND I JUST HEARD? (covers mouth) OMG!!!! WHAT DID I JUST SEE???? (covers eyes) OMG WHAT WAS THAT NOISE???? (covers ears)........quiet.....quiet......OMG!!!!! WTF WAS THAT????? DID YOU SEE THAT????? (covers eyes).......etc......ad nauseam......
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

stimpy wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:56 am
Blackhawk wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:00 am While I don't get the appeal of the exaggerated emotional 'reactions', I do occasionally enjoy a reaction video where the reactor (?) is actually knowledgeable about the subject and/or medium and the conversation is less about the emotional "Oh gosh!" and more of a discussion of what's happening on screen from the expert's perspective.
The ones I was referring to are the OMG!!!!!! WHAT WAS THAT SOUND I JUST HEARD? (covers mouth) OMG!!!! WHAT DID I JUST SEE???? (covers eyes) OMG WHAT WAS THAT NOISE???? (covers ears)........quiet.....quiet......OMG!!!!! WTF WAS THAT????? DID YOU SEE THAT????? (covers eyes).......etc......ad nauseam......
I know, but they're all listed the same way on YouTube "[Person] reacts to [thing]". You can't tell which is which unless you watch them (unless they have the decency to declare it in the title.) And even then half of them are just the emotional reaction videos from people with dubious expertise (Veteran reacts to Band of Brothers!) As long as they're all mixed together, I don't feel bad commenting on the good stuff mixed into the bad.

Example of a good 'reacts.'

(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ive laughed at horror movies for 30+ years. Horror made me laugh. But sleeping alone since my wife passed theres no way Im watching anything scarier than Richard Simmons Sweat'n to the Oldies. And thats damn frightening.

I might watch Army of Darkness again for the billionth time.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Combustible Lemur

Post by Combustible Lemur »

Blackhawk wrote:
stimpy wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:56 am
I know, but they're all listed the same way on YouTube "[Person] reacts to [thing]". You can't tell which is which unless you watch them (unless they have the decency to declare it in the title.) And even then half of them are just the emotional reaction videos from people with dubious expertise (Veteran reacts to Band of Brothers!) As long as they're all mixed together, I don't feel bad commenting on the good stuff mixed into the bad.

Example of a good 'reacts.'

It's funny that you mention band of brothers

This guy has been popping up in my feed alot lately.
https://youtu.be/fXh5KVrRf-o

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Is Scott home? thump thump thump Crash ......No.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

hepcat wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:21 am
Lassr wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:56 pm Got tickets to see Halloween Kills tomorrow night.

I just noticed this is streaming on Peacock now. I'll have to check it out tonight. I like Green's work usually.

Edit: but not this time. Ugh.
Yep, rather bad.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Brian wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:25 pm
stimpy wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:18 am Same with those ones with people reacting to music.
Ugh.
Must suck to be so cynical.

Also, let people enjoy things.

I wasn't originally going to answer HBA's question fearing getting a response exactly like yours but he seemed to sincerely want to know why I would watch something like this so I answered it with the same sincerity.

If he feels the same way you do, he at least had the decency to keep it to himself and not piss all over something somebody else enjoys.

Also also, watch TBR Schmitt and his wife react to The Fly and tell me they are faking their reactions.
I watch a lot of these also. Watched reactions to Blazing Saddles just last week.

Black Lives Matter
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

WE ARE WHAT WE ARE (2014) - Stars Wyatt Russell before he became the most hated Captain American ever. This is a slow burn, but oh what a great one. Two daughters and a son try to get out from under their religious fanatic father and the annual tradition he forces them into. The performances are absolutely amazing. It's simultaneously cringe-inducing but almost impossible to look away from. Really enjoyed this one.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

hitbyambulance wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:57 am
Brian wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:03 am I've mostly been watching reaction videos to horror movies
honest questions... why would someone do this? why is this a thing?
I didn't understand it until someone (skinnypuppy?) posted " The Charismatic Voice" and seeing her react to things seemed so pure and reminded me of my own music discovery from years gone by and then she adds her own (more learned) perspective to her reaction.

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:50 pm Image
It took me until me 30s to arrive there. :oops: