The Former Trump Presidency Thread

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Kurth

Re: The Trump Presidency Thread

Post by Kurth »

Remus West wrote:
Holman wrote:They know they can't really control information. This is about de-legitimizing the mainstream press, making it look weak or unnecessary.

It's dominance politics. It's all Trump knows.
I don't believe this. I think it is absolutely about controlling the narrative.if the information gets out the way they want it out it becomes much easier to control their sheeples. At first I only jokingly thought of him as the end of America as a nation of the free. More and more I view his government to be the end of freedom and equality. Controlling how the steps forward get presented to the public eases their path to step on.
Couldn't agree more. Meanwhile, even if it wasn't adopted in direct response to Trump, the Washington Post's new slogan, Democracy Dies in Darkness could not be better timed.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Holman

Post by Holman »

Enough wrote:
Holman wrote:
tgb wrote:
For some reason this isn't loading for me, so I'll have to listen to it another time.

That said, Sebastian Gorka still sounds like the name of a Bond villain.
Bond villains had style. Gorka is just a common gutter fascist.
The Forward on Friday detailed Gorka's time in Hungarian politics in the aughts, which included trying to get a new political party off the ground alongside former members of the Jobbik party, whose leaders have been accused of stoking anti-Semitism, as well as publishing articles in a newspaper the U.S. State Department says "published anti-Semitic articles and featured articles by authors who have denied the Holocaust.”
I used to data a Hungarian woman I met there and am still good friends with her. I am appalled at how far right she and the rest of the country is these days. I don't think many realize just how icky it's getting. A lot of the reason why is that those that threw the communists out were an odd coalition of environmentalists and righties. Now many of the leaders of that time are leading Hungarian government and it reflects that bias.
I just learned something new. John Schindler is a cantankerous NSA veteran whose Twitter feed is as much snark as analysis, but this is his bailiwick, and I would guess that he knows what he's talking about:
https://twitter.com/20committee/status/ ... 6713387008

I think I first heard Gorka's name a couple of years back as part of a discussion of the War-on-Islam fringe. That he has made it to the highest levels of an American administration is just appalling.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I have zero respect for anyone buying into this crap. You have to be completely blind to not see how f'n wrong all of this is. Less than an hour ago the "president" attacked the media again. This isn't normal. I pray this is him trying to distract from what will eventually come, but I don't hold much hope anymore. I see perfectly normal people that are eating this insane crap up. SAD! :evil:
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Trump administration sought to enlist intelligence officials, key lawmakers to counter Russia stories
The Trump administration has enlisted senior members of the intelligence community and Congress in efforts to counter news stories about Trump associates’ ties to Russia, a politically charged issue that has been under investigation by the FBI as well as lawmakers now defending the White House.

Acting at the behest of the White House, the officials made calls to news organizations last week in attempts to challenge stories about alleged contacts between members of President Trump’s campaign team and Russian intelligence operatives, U.S. officials said.

The calls were orchestrated by the White House after unsuccessful attempts by the administration to get senior FBI officials to speak with news organizations and dispute the accuracy of stories on the alleged contacts with Russia.

The White House on Friday acknowledged those interactions with the FBI but did not disclose that it then turned to other officials who agreed to do what the FBI would not — participate in White House-arranged calls with news organizations, including The Washington Post.

Two of those officials spoke on the condition of anonymity — a practice President Trump has condemned.

The officials broadly dismissed Trump associates’ contacts with Russia as infrequent and inconsequential. But the officials would not answer substantive questions about the issue, and their comments were not published by The Post and do not appear to have been reported elsewhere.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Lagom Lite

Post by Lagom Lite »

I usually come into OO political threads with sarcasm and humor (and maybe a little bit of ire) but today I tell you: Your government is highjacked by a fascist.

I'm not using hyperbole. Trump is a fascist. He's lying about foreign countries (e.g. mine), sacrificing credibility and diplomacy for cheap points towards divisive domestic policy, sorting people into "us" and "them". Inciting violence. Building walls.

And now, he's trying to control the media. Fortunately for you, we live in the era of Internet so state propaganda is much harder to implement. But he is trying. He began by accusing some channels of being fake news, now he's trying to control the narrative by not inviting certain networks.

As Octavious said above, don't accept any of this. None of you. Not even Rip. This isn't healthy. It's not about left and right. Deposing Trump means installing Mike Pence who seems as conservative as you can get.

For the sake of your country, get out there and protest.
But you've seen who's in heaven
Is there anyone in hell?

"Lagom you are a smooth tongued devil, and an opportunistic monster" - OOWW Game Club
Holman

Post by Holman »

Lagom Lite wrote:I usually come into OO political threads with sarcasm and humor (and maybe a little bit of ire) but today I tell you: Your government is highjacked by a fascist.

I'm not using hyperbole. Trump is a fascist. He's lying about foreign countries (e.g. mine), sacrificing credibility and diplomacy for cheap points towards divisive domestic policy, sorting people into "us" and "them". Inciting violence. Building walls.

And now, he's trying to control the media. Fortunately for you, we live in the era of Internet so state propaganda is much harder to implement. But he is trying. He began by accusing some channels of being fake news, now he's trying to control the narrative by not inviting certain networks.

As Octavious said above, don't accept any of this. None of you. Not even Rip. This isn't healthy. It's not about left and right. Deposing Trump means installing Mike Pence who seems as conservative as you can get.

For the sake of your country, get out there and protest.
You are correct, and it's terrifying.

I'd just add that we weren't taken over by a fascist but by fascism. Trump didn't come up with it. He simply declared himself in the space prepared for him by decades of right-wing media and conspiracy theory and by a GOP that was always happy to exploit bigotry and ignorance even when it declined to give them a prime slot on the agenda.

Protests continue. The next big national wave will probably be the protests that appear to be scheduling for April 15.
Holman

Post by Holman »

And LL, here is more Swedish flavor for you:

Fox News gives airtime to fake Sweden expert.
Fox News continues to focus on the debate about how immigration is breaking Sweden. One guest last night, described as a ”Swedish defense and national security advisor”, spoke about the problems caused by criminality in Swedish cities and suburbs. But neither the Swedish Defense Ministry nor Foreign Office have heard of the expert. Nils Bildt, who called for an “open and honest” debate on crime, has previously been convicted of a violent offence in the United States.
Fox has a long history of promoting and inflating pseudo-experts to bolster their narrative line. (Sebastian Gorka got his start in the U.S. the same way.) They were doing this sort of Fake News before anyone was using the term, and this kind of behavior (from Fox and many others) is why we have Trump now.
Lagom Lite

Post by Lagom Lite »

Holman wrote:And LL, here is more Swedish flavor for you:

Fox News gives airtime to fake Sweden expert.
Fox News continues to focus on the debate about how immigration is breaking Sweden. One guest last night, described as a ”Swedish defense and national security advisor”, spoke about the problems caused by criminality in Swedish cities and suburbs. But neither the Swedish Defense Ministry nor Foreign Office have heard of the expert. Nils Bildt, who called for an “open and honest” debate on crime, has previously been convicted of a violent offence in the United States.
Fox has a long history of promoting and inflating pseudo-experts to bolster their narrative line. (Sebastian Gorka got his start in the U.S. the same way.) They were doing this sort of Fake News before anyone was using the term, and this kind of behavior (from Fox and many others) is why we have Trump now.
I know. Our media won't shut up about it. If it's of any interest to you, the real Bildt wrote a piece on his experiences of immigration to Sweden during his period in office.
But you've seen who's in heaven
Is there anyone in hell?

"Lagom you are a smooth tongued devil, and an opportunistic monster" - OOWW Game Club
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Holman wrote:
I'd just add that we weren't taken over by a fascist but by fascism. Trump didn't come up with it. He simply declared himself in the space prepared for him by decades of right-wing media and conspiracy theory and by a GOP that was always happy to exploit bigotry and ignorance even when it declined to give them a prime slot on the agenda.
Trump is a narcissist first and foremost, and totalitarianism follows from his need to be the center of the universe. I see little evidence that he devotes any abstract thought to governing beyond what will be popular with his tribe and keep him permanently in the spotlight.

It's the fascists in his tribe that we need to worry about, especially Bannon.
Andrew Wonser

Post by Andrew Wonser »

ImageImageImageImage
Ah, so he has retractable metal claws that punch through his flesh, just like a real wolverine.
Right, just like a real wolverine.
Ah, and his metal retractable claws can easily cut through hardened steel, just like a real wolverine.
Just like a real one, exactly.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

He does realize he hasn't put a budget in yet right? Oh wait no he doesn't.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

To be fair, the absolute value of the gross national debt did go down by $12B in the past month.

Unfortunately it did so because of accounting magic moving around intergovernmental debt, and not because of the impact from the budget that Trump didn't propose or get passed through Congress.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Context is meaningless:
Trump's tweet about the debt appears to reference the U.S. Treasury's daily history of the national debt. The debt presently sits at nearly $20 trillion, of which the $12 billion for which Trump takes credit is 0.06 percent.

As The Hill notes, the national debt spiked in February of 2009 mostly because the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act, also known as the stimulus bill, which cost $831 billion and remains controversial eight years later. Both President George W. Bush and President Obama doubled the national debt during their time in office, from about $5.6 to $9.9 trillion and $9.9 to $19.9 trillion, respectively.
Damn those presidents for spending all that money.

Oh, wait:
History, Art & Archives | United States House of Representatives wrote:Congress—and in particular, the House of Representatives—is invested with the “power of the purse,” the ability to tax and spend public money for the national government.

Massachusetts’ Elbridge Gerry said at the Federal Constitutional Convention that the House “was more immediately the representatives of the people, and it was a maxim that the people ought to hold the purse-strings.”
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Low-information voters have found their low-information POTUS.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Twitter reminded me that Trump crowed about his secret 30-day plan to defeat ISIS. Today is day 31, so I assume problem solved?
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Andrew Wonser

Post by Andrew Wonser »

Did he ever say in a row? Could we put a few minutes here and there in between twitter rants, vacations and getting his news from tv?
Ah, so he has retractable metal claws that punch through his flesh, just like a real wolverine.
Ah, and his metal retractable claws can easily cut through hardened steel, just like a real wolverine.
Andrew Wonser

Post by Andrew Wonser »

https://gop.com/trump-first-month-approval-survey/
Went ahead and filled in the survey. What I wrote in the optional:
Become the Republican party of old and not this extremist version. Care more about the country than the party. Don't be afraid to call out members of your own party who are only there for wealth and power. Help those that do not have the means to help themselves. Stop peddling hate and fear and shift to love and compassion. Realize science and education are not out to get you but rather improve and enrich us all.
I suppose I'm hoping for too much though.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

RunningMn9 wrote:Twitter reminded me that Trump crowed about his secret 30-day plan to defeat ISIS. Today is day 31, so I assume problem solved?
Donald wrote:Wait, you meant in a row?
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

RunningMn9 wrote:Twitter reminded me that Trump crowed about his secret 30-day plan to defeat ISIS. Today is day 31, so I assume problem solved?
Turns out it's a lot easier to go after the media.
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

Alefroth wrote:
or hide from them. He's not going to the WHC dinner. Poor little snowflake.
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

tjg_marantz wrote:
Alefroth wrote:
So wait, does that mean he *is* going? I'm just wondering because there's about a 50/50 chance that he's lying.
Black Lives Matter
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

NickAragua wrote:
tjg_marantz wrote:
Alefroth wrote:
So wait, does that mean he *is* going? I'm just wondering because there's about a 50/50 chance that he's lying.
No worries, he did tack on the obligatory lie when he made the announcement. :) https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/sta ... 8625836032
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Reagan only missed the dinner because he was recovering from an assassination.

Trump is a frightened snowflake. How can you lead America when you're afraid of it?
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Holman

Post by Holman »

Wait for it... He'll schedule a rally or counter-event like he tried during the debates.
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

Maybe he could bar them from their own thing?
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Black Lives Matter.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Andrew Wonser wrote:https://gop.com/trump-first-month-approval-survey/
Become the Republican party of old and not this extremist version. Care more about the country than the party. Don't be afraid to call out members of your own party who are only there for wealth and power. Help those that do not have the means to help themselves. Stop peddling hate and fear and shift to love and compassion. Realize science and education are not out to get you but rather improve and enrich us all.
You have earned a spot on somebody's enemies list.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Kraken wrote:
You have earned a spot on somebody's enemies list.
Not me, I put in stevie@whitehouse.gov for the email address.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Max Peck wrote: https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/sta ... 8625836032

Maybe he's just joining the boycott against the Dinner cause of the administration's treatment of the press? :wink:
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I filled out the survey and put my real email address on it. Laid into them with everything I had. Fuck 'em.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I gave them my spam address. They are going to have to compete with canadianpetvet.com for my attention.
tgb

Post by tgb »

I can't wait to see the look on the faces of security when 100 packages arrive simultaneously, all with the same return address.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Holman

Post by Holman »

You know half of them will just keep the Fascist policy cards and throw out the rest.
tgb

Post by tgb »

Has this already been posted? I'm sure you all know about it.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
raydude

Post by raydude »

Which of the following do you think are top priorities for President Trump to accomplish next? Select as many that apply.
Other please specify:
release his tax returns
Holman

Post by Holman »

Trump's immigrant dragnet seized a renowned historian visiting the U.S. and held him for 10 hours because he had been born in Egypt 62 years ago.

Henry Rousso is Jewish and a French citizen. His research specialty is France under the Nazis.

And, oh hey, tomorrow is the anniversary of the Reichstag fire.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

raydude wrote:
Which of the following do you think are top priorities for President Trump to accomplish next? Select as many that apply.
Other please specify:
release his tax returns
I piggy backed on yours a bit.
Release tax returns, denounce white supremacy and stop undermining the institutions of Democracy.
tgb

Post by tgb »

Another day, another anti-Semitic attack.

I emailed tlr's brothers (she's in training for a new position) and her family is buried somewhere else, thankfully.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

FAKE NEWS! Trump is bringing people together!
He won. Period.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Archinerd wrote:
raydude wrote:
Other please specify:
release his tax returns
I piggy backed on yours a bit.
Release tax returns, denounce white supremacy and stop undermining the institutions of Democracy.
Tax returns, Denounce evangelical white supremacy where ever it rears up, Give up family holdings to a blind trust. We'll figure out the rest as we go.