Billy Graham passes, aged 99

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Isgrimnur

Billy Graham passes, aged 99

Post by Isgrimnur »

USA Today
The world's best-known evangelist, the Rev. Billy Graham, has died. He was 99.

From the gangly 16-year-old baseball-loving teen who found Christ at a tent revival, Graham went on to become an international media darling, a preacher to a dozen presidents and the voice of solace in times of national heartbreak. He was America's pastor.

Graham retired to his mountain home at Montreat, N.C., in 2005 after nearly six decades on the road calling people to Christ at 417 all-out preaching and musical events from Miami to Moscow. His final New York City crusade in 2005 was sponsored by 1,400 regional churches from 82 denominations.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Holman

Re: Billy Graham passes, aged 99

Post by Holman »

It's conventional to praise Billy Graham because he was an icon known for his public advocacy of virtue. It's also normal to condemn him for his defense of some pretty tiresome and harmful Evangelical prejudices, antisemitic ones included. I guess I can do both.

Regardless of whatever good Billy Graham did, his son and heir Franklin Graham can go eat shit.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
naednek

Post by naednek »

one would think that people can keep negative comments to themselves especially on the day a person dies. but alas... the internet always wins.

I rememeber greatly watching his sermons on TV and even going to one of the crusades at Arco Arena. He's someone I have always respected and always thought he brought out the best example of faith.

One of my favorite quotes. First heard it from a dctalk song

"I haven't written my own epitaph, and I'm not sure I should. Whatever it is, I hope it will be simple, and that it will point people not to me, but to the One I served."
---Billy Graham...
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

naednek wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:32 pm Image
1) There is no mystery to the wind.
2) I've never seen unicorns or Santa Claus. Now there's a mystery.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

He never really used guilt or shame in his sermons. He was friends with Martin Luther King Jr. and worked to end segregation alongside him. He seemed like a genuinely good man to me.

His son, on the other hand...
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

naednek wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:32 pm one would think that people can keep negative comments to themselves especially on the day a person dies. but alas... the internet always wins.
I find it best to remember the wise words of Mark Twain:
I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Holman

Post by Holman »

Holman wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:36 am It's conventional to praise Billy Graham because he was an icon known for his public advocacy of virtue. It's also normal to condemn him for his defense of some pretty tiresome and harmful Evangelical prejudices, antisemitic ones included. I guess I can do both.

Regardless of whatever good Billy Graham did, his son and heir Franklin Graham can go eat shit.
naednek wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:32 pm one would think that people can keep negative comments to themselves especially on the day a person dies. but alas... the internet always wins.
That's why I posted in R&P rather than EBG.

As someone raised Evangelical with many Evangelical loved ones, I'm as deeply immersed in the cultural meaning and legacy of Billy Graham as anyone. In my adolescence I thought I would become a preacher, just as he did.

But it's [the] nature of modern American religion--and BG did as much as anyone to make this happen--that public faith is a political issue. That being the case, you don't get a free pass for piety when the meaning of your career is being considered.
Last edited by Holman on Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

It was open season on Pope John when he passed.

Billy Graham was no Pope John.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

I rememeber greatly watching his sermons on TV and even going to one of the crusades at Arco Arena. He's someone I have always respected and always thought he brought out the best example of faith.

One of my favorite quotes. First heard it from a dctalk song

Last edited by Alefroth on Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

He had a fantastic head of hair.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

And he put on some great concerts at The Fillmore.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Alefroth wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:09 pm

At least he later apologized.
No offense, but this doesn’t sound like Graham to me. I tried finding the quote but nowhere could I find the date, location, or occasion. There were a few sites that had this quote, but none of them had any citations. Do you have an actual citation for this? I’m certainly willing to be proven wrong, but otherwise, this looks like one of those fake Facebook type posts.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
AjD

Post by AjD »

The Woody Allen Special

...in which the young Woody interviews Billy Graham (starts at 34:00). Really entertaining. Aired on CBS in 1969, complete show featuring original commercials!
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Grifman wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:34 pm
Alefroth wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:09 pm At least he later apologized.
No offense, but this doesn’t sound like Graham to me. I tried finding the quote but nowhere could I find the date, location, or occasion. There were a few sites that had this quote, but none of them had any citations. Do you have an actual citation for this? I’m certainly willing to be proven wrong, but otherwise, this looks like one of those fake Facebook type posts.
No offense taken at all, and I think you're right. I did a perfunctory search to see that it wasn't BS and didn't find anything. I ultimately trusted AZQuotes. I'll take it down since I can't find any context and should know better. Thanks for keeping me honest.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Grifman wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:34 pm
Alefroth wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:09 pm

At least he later apologized.
I've never heard that. I doubt it's authentic, or it would be easy to find quoted in actual reporting.

Graham issued the usual Evangelical condemnations of homosexuality. As late as 1993 he suggested that AIDS was punishment from God, although he then walked that back.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Alefroth wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:18 pm
No offense taken at all, and I think you're right. I did a perfunctory search to see that it wasn't BS and didn't find anything. I ultimately trusted AZQuotes. I'll take it down since I can't find any context and should know better. Thanks for keeping me honest.
It's gratifying when two people can act like mature adults in something like this :)
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton