The Former Trump Presidency Thread

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Remus West

Re: The Trump Presidency Thread

Post by Remus West »

Rip wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 12:19 pm MS-13 is no better than ISIS. Trump was right they are animals.

They make the Manson family look like just a bunch of troublesome teenagers.
Said the leader who pretty clearly supports groups known for their huggability such as the Aryan Nation, KKK, and Neo-Nazis.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Remus West wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 12:25 pm
Rip wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 12:19 pm MS-13 is no better than ISIS. Trump was right they are animals.

Said the leader who pretty clearly supports groups known for their huggability such as the Aryan Nation, KKK, and Neo-Nazis.
When you're in a position of the utmost power and authority, you often have to choose between the lesser of two evils. Trump just forgot that they should be weighed on the same scale and for the same reasons.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Other than in the scientific definition, they are not animals. Either that or law enforcement operation must be awful and we should hire the Parks and Wildlife Department.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Rip

Post by Rip »

hepcat wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 12:23 pm

Can you show me where anyone is arguing otherwise?
Here, no. Around the media sure. At least complaining about actually calling them animals.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

hepcat wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 12:16 pm It's an attempt to reinforce the explanation that Trump was referring specifically to MI-13 in a recent on air discussion on immigration in which some folks thought he was talking about immigrants in general when he used the word "animals" to describe them.

If he's capable of trotting out Spicer to argue that he had the largest audience in the history of mankind for his inauguration, this is a positively understated move.
While it's all a shell game, when the OUTRAGE first happened, I went back to listened to his diatribe and all I heard was typical Trump bluster with no properly defined target. It's the typical Trump turn. It's what he does. If the response would have been eyeroll instead of OUTRAGE I think this would be moved in a different direction. Outrage over honest "WTF are you even talking about" gave him an out to which his support will respond "how can you possibly support MI-13? That's how fucked up the left is" It's the game this administration>the GOP who stand with him>and their combined support system love to play.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

The majority of media outlets quoted him out of context on this one. If you watch the entire thing, he's clearly referring to MI-13. But his ego can't let it slide, so he does things like this. I'm convinced that if he'd just shut the fuck up whenever the media slams him, they'd have stopped featuring his every word as a headline item. But like a child, he has to argue with everything.
He won. Period.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

hepcat wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 12:38 pm The majority of media outlets quoted him out of context on this one. If you watch the entire thing, he's clearly referring to MI-13.
That I could not do. I watched about 10 minutes total surrounding the line, I think. It was not clear to me then. If the whole thing was about Mi-13, then my bad. I retract my defeated frustration in this instance. It's hard to give the benefit of the doubt when I have to sacrifice so much time to do so. From what I found and could listen to. You're a better man than I am.
Rip

Post by Rip »

Margaret Mims, Fresno County Sheriff: "Thank you, Mr. President. You know, sheriffs in California are now in an untenable position when it comes to trying to figure out — now, we have state law, we have federal laws, and here we are stuck in the middle. Sheriffs, especially, because most of us run our county jails.

"When there became a legal challenge to the 48-hour holds for ICE, it was very frustrating for us. So what I did is I invited ICE to put their officers in my jails so they're able to do their work. We didn't have the staffing to be able to help figure out who they wanted to talk to or didn't. I said, come on in, work with our people to keep our community safe. Two weeks later, Mr. President, Kate Steinle was murdered.

"Now, I wasn't the only sheriff to do that. Sheriff Youngblood did, Sheriff Christianson. And it was perfect — because we didn't have to take our time, with our staff, to do, to do anything. ICE was in there doing their work in a safe, controlled, environment. And then, the initiatives started happening -- the TRUST Act, the TRUTH Act, and finally, SB 54, the Values Act. And that is causing us all kinds of turmoil.

"So here we are, stuck in the middle, trying to decide. We have federal law, we have state law. And that's why I welcomed Attorney General Sessions's lawsuit, because that will provide us the clarity that we need and direction that we need. What do we do? Because here we are.

"And I appreciated Mr. Homan and ICE. We had a great relationship; we still do. But now ICE is the only law enforcement agency that cannot use our databases to find the bad guys. They cannot come in and talk to people in our jail, unless they reach a certain threshold. They can't do all kinds of things that other law enforcement agencies can do. And it's really put us in a very bad position."

Trump: "It's a disgrace. Okay? It's a disgrace."

Mims: "It's a disgrace."

Trump: "And we're suing on that, and we're working hard, and I think it will all come together, because people want it to come together. It's so ridiculous. The concept that we're even talking about is ridiculous. We'll take care of it, Margaret. We'll win."

Mims: "Thank you. There could be an MS-13 gang member I know about — if they don't reach a certain threshold, I cannot tell ICE about it."

Trump: "We have people coming into the country, or trying to come in — and we're stopping a lot of them — but we're taking people out of the country. You wouldn't believe how bad these people are. These aren't people. These are animals. And we're taking them out of the country at a level and at a rate that's never happened before. And because of the weak laws, they come in fast, we get them, we release them, we get them again, we bring them out. It's crazy.

The dumbest laws, as I said before, the dumbest laws on immigration in the world. So we're going to take care of it, Margaret. We'll get it done."
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Although reading the transcript, I think I understand how it would sound like he's denigrating all immigrants. :ninja:
He won. Period.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Rip wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 12:34 pm
hepcat wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 12:23 pm

Can you show me where anyone is arguing otherwise?
Here, no. Around the media sure. At least complaining about actually calling them animals.
The complaint was about him calling immigrants animals. His simplistic walk-back and retcon of his obviously racist comments seems to have worked a-ok on you. Which is no surprise.

No one ever complained about him calling M13 members alone animals because he didn't. Until his retcon. The fact that the White House is repeating "animals" so insistently is laughable. See shithole/shithouse, etc.

I knew this kid in high school who call a gay kid also at our school a "faggot". The ensuing ridicule he got was a total surprise to him and he tried to walk it back spouting some gibberish about asking for cigarettes, which he insisted that he called "faggots" (not "fags" mind you). To hear him subsequently refer to cigarettes as "faggots" for the next year to try to keep up the charade was cringe worthy. Just like this "animals" bullshit from Trump and his sycophants.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I read the quote and I must be guilty of bias. Hep says it's clear he's talking about MS-13. It's not clear to me at all, which would explain why I didn't hear it sitting though youtube either. Comprehension fail on my part. I read the five times and I'm just stupid. I see "mims" mention MS-13 before the animal comment and I just don't make the connection. :oops: I'm trying and I just feel dumb.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

hepcat wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 12:46 pm Although reading the transcript, I think I understand how it would sound like he's denigrating all immigrants. :ninja:
Of course he is. His whole campaign and presidency has been founded on the false equivalence of immigrants and criminals. How many times have we had this same debate about what Trump actually meant when he used racist and/or inflammatory language? The guy is as easy to read as a Little Golden Book.

He slips the dog whistles in and when he gets caught, he backpedals and retcons.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I think we sometimes assign villainy to simple stupidity when it comes to Trump.
He won. Period.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

hepcat wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 12:58 pm I think we sometimes assign villainy to simple stupidity when it comes to Trump.
It's not just stupidity. It's racism, willful ignorance, hypocrisy, venality, and stupidity. Villainy would be an upgrade.

MYT
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

hepcat wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 12:58 pm I think we sometimes assign villainy to simple stupidity when it comes to Trump.
I'm so stuck on seeing the old lady, I literally can't see the girl looking away and I'm trying really hard and it's so bad, my only thought remaining is that if I can't see that any sense of objectivity, that's all the more reason I want him gone. Like a jar has so many chances and once you pull that last one out, I'm inescapably done.

Enlarge Image
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Crap, i can't see the old lady.
He won. Period.
Rip

Post by Rip »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 12:57 pm
hepcat wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 12:46 pm Although reading the transcript, I think I understand how it would sound like he's denigrating all immigrants. :ninja:
Of course he is. His whole campaign and presidency has been founded on the false equivalence of immigrants and criminals. How many times have we had this same debate about what Trump actually meant when he used racist and/or inflammatory language? The guy is as easy to read as a Little Golden Book.

He slips the dog whistles in and when he gets caught, he backpedals and retcons.
Perhaps that is the fault of people that can't stand for us to have different words for people who immigrate the legal and proper way versus those who sneak in or simply fail to leave when their permission to be here has expired?

A cynical person might think that is exactly why there was a war on the phrase illegal immigrant. Just to make sure anyone criticizing the ones who aren't here legally can be accused of having something against the ones who are. How convenient.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Are you seriously trying to justify calling all illegal immigrants animals? :shock:
He won. Period.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

At no point should a communique from the highest goddamn office in the United States of America refer to a group of people as animals. I don't care if they're they most criminal criminals that ever criminaled. It's a disgrace to the office, as is apparently the current tradition.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

hepcat wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 1:17 pm Are you seriously trying to justify calling all illegal immigrants animals? :shock:
This surprises you?
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I guess I thought he was less blatant about such things. But when backed into a corner and asked to defend his position, I've learned he'll say just about anything.
He won. Period.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Rip wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 1:14 pm
LawBeefaroni wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 12:57 pm

Perhaps that is the fault of people that can't stand for us to have different words for people who immigrate the legal and proper way versus those who sneak in or simply fail to leave when their permission to be here has expired?

A cynical person might think that is exactly why there was a war on the phrase illegal immigrant. Just to make sure anyone criticizing the ones who aren't here legally can be accused of having something against the ones who are. How convenient.
Not all crimes are equal. Unless you'd like to take the Punisher approach and start capping jay walkers from a skyrise trying to claim that all illegal immigrants are the same is stupid. And if you really would like that approach you're just insane.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 1:20 pm At no point should a communique from the highest goddamn office in the United States of America refer to a group of people as animals. I don't care if they're they most criminal criminals that ever criminaled. It's a disgrace to the office, as is apparently the current tradition.
I don't agree but you better for damned sure be certain you are clear. For instance the highest office of land should have no problem referring to Nazis as shoe scum, even if they're wearing MAGA hats and endorse him. On the other hand, at no point should a communique from the highest goddamn office in the United States of America refer to a group to people like this as mostly fine people

Enlarge Image
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Yeah, in this case, I think his word salad way of talking is probably to blame. He's such a blathering idiot, that even when it appears to look like a simple case of really poor speech skills, it's hard to believe him due to his previous tricksy ways when it comes to this stuff.

I really wish we had some kind of minimum bar to meet for a US President's speech skill level.

"If you talk like Sarah Palin, you can't be President"
"If you try to say something straightforward, and people have a hard time parsing what you mean, you can't be President"
"If you rant like an angry, douchy teen on Twitter at all hours, you can't President"

Surely we could translate those ideas to test form.
Last edited by Carpet_pissr on Mon May 21, 2018 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I look forward to his impeachment trial when he's asked to defend himself and he simply says, "Covfefe".
He won. Period.
geezer

Post by geezer »

hepcat wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 1:11 pm Crap, i can't see the old lady.
That's because her name is "Yanny"
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Last edited by El Guapo on Mon May 21, 2018 3:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Black Lives Matter.
Rip

Post by Rip »

hepcat wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 1:17 pm Are you seriously trying to justify calling all illegal immigrants animals? :shock:

Not hardly. But it would be nice being able to refer to them in negative light without being accused of disliking all immigrants just because I want the legal way to be the only way to immigrate.
Rip

Post by Rip »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 1:20 pm At no point should a communique from the highest goddamn office in the United States of America refer to a group of people as animals. I don't care if they're they most criminal criminals that ever criminaled. It's a disgrace to the office, as is apparently the current tradition.
How about JV team animals?
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 1:29 pm
Yeah, in this case, I think his word salad way of talking is probably to blame. He's such a blathering idiot, that even when it appears to look like a simple case of really poor speech skills, it's hard to believe him due to his previous tricksy ways when it comes to this stuff.

I really wish we had some kind of minimum bar to meet for a US President's speech skill level.

"If you talk like Sarah Palin, you can't be President"
"If you try to say something straightforward, and people have a hard time parsing what you mean, you can't be President"
"If you rant like an angry, douchy teen on Twitter at all hours, you can't President"

Surely we could translate those ideas to test form.
I used to think that elections mostly covered that, but I guess we're past that now. MAGA?
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Rip wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 2:44 pm

Not hardly. But it would be nice being able to refer to them in negative light without being accused of disliking all immigrants just because I want the legal way to be the only way to immigrate.
How about referring to them as "illegal immigrants"? Or is that too positive for you?
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Remus West wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 4:00 pm

How about referring to them as "illegal immigrants"? Or is that too positive for you?
Well, it's not nearly as snappy as calling them "wetbacks" so I'm afraid the Deplorables will have to reject that phrasing.
Rip

Post by Rip »

I do but it frequently results in being called a racist or hate monger.
For example, the Associated Press, NBC, and ABC ban “illegal immigrant”
https://www.newyorker.com/news/daily-co ... -immigrant
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

While I don't know to what end the GOP takes things, there has been a fairly heavy push from the to eugphemise Illegal Immigrants in to "Undocumented ... workers... aliens... immigrants... whatever..." The battle for language is real, even if turning ICE into a personal political weapon is puppies.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Omg, the Cohen email contains the oft Popehat mocked "govern yourself accordingly" albeit paraphrased.

Good stuff.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Rip wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 4:08 pm

I do but it frequently results in being called a racist or hate monger.
For example, the Associated Press, NBC, and ABC ban “illegal immigrant”
https://www.newyorker.com/news/daily-co ... -immigrant
So you are looking for a method of referring to a group of people in a negative fashion without being labeled in return for your blanket use of a negative term?

Snowflake.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Remus West wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 9:46 am So you are looking for a method of referring to a group of people in a negative fashion without being labeled in return for your blanket use of a negative term?

Snowflake.
He wants to refer to illegal immigrants as illegal immigrants. Honestly, things like this is why moderates complain about the political correctness.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

noxiousdog wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 10:40 am
Remus West wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 9:46 am So you are looking for a method of referring to a group of people in a negative fashion without being labeled in return for your blanket use of a negative term?

Snowflake.
He wants to refer to illegal immigrants as illegal immigrants. Honestly, things like this is why moderates complain about the political correctness.
Except when I offered that choice up he gave me reasons why he doesn't which is stupid to me. He said he wanted a way to refer to them negatively. Illegal immigrants does that.

Also, the article he linked was crap in comparing us calling illegal immigrants "illegal" when we do not refer to speeders as illegal drivers. We don't do that because they are not illegal drivers. They are speeders. Someone driving without ever having qualified for a DL is an illegal driver and I'd have no issues with calling them such.