Reminder: please use the Amazon affiliate links to help us keep the lights on!

Trump Trade War

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Post Reply
User avatar
LordMortis
Posts: 58992
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:26 pm

Re: Trump Trade War

Post by LordMortis » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:17 pm

Rip wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:53 pm
That is only because they aren't in the White House. The moment they were they would become Hitler incarnate to a shocking number of people. The only thing necessary in the case of Pence is for Trump to keel over.
Continue picking the worst of the right and we'll continue to label them a shitshow. To my knowledge Pence is not a Nazi sympathizer, he's a diplomatic Hard Core Pseudo Calvinist with a knife hidden behind his back. In some ways he scares me more than Trump but not because he's Hitler incarnate, but because he's a zealot. It's a totally different kind of fear. Though both have the idea of being a sort of member of the elect superiority in mind. Pence just masks his belief that he is a member of the elect behind the pretend that he humble before The Pancake.

User avatar
GreenGoo
Posts: 35766
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 10:46 pm
Location: Ottawa, ON

Re: Trump Trade War

Post by GreenGoo » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:36 pm

Drink your glass of pee, snowflake. Next you'll have a problem with the sandpaper in the bathroom.

You just can't please some people.

User avatar
hepcat
Posts: 35856
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 3:02 pm
Location: Chicago, IL Home of the triple homicide!

Re: Trump Trade War

Post by hepcat » Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:15 pm

Rip's right. All Obama got was a large contingent of people questioning whether or not he was even American, or if he was a secret Muslim terrorist plant.

:mrgreen:
I beat a camel to death with a monkey. Can I do that?
-Mr Bismarck

You have to whack a few rabbits before you are ready to punch a camel.
-Coopasonic

User avatar
Pyperkub
Posts: 17836
Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2004 5:07 pm
Location: NC- that's Northern California
Contact:

Re: Trump Trade War

Post by Pyperkub » Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:33 pm

Well, this is interesting...
Last week the Trump administration announced a deal to lift a ban on US companies exporting technology to Chinese smartphone maker ZTE. ZTE has been largely shut down since the ban was announced last month, because the company depends heavily on Qualcomm chips, Google's software, and other US-made components.

But now a bipartisan group of US senators is seeking to reverse Trump's decision and re-impose the export ban. The Wall Street Journal reports that the legislators have reached a deal to attach a ZTE export ban to the National Defense Authorization Act, a "must-pass" bill that authorizes funding for the military.

Supporters of the amendment include Democratic minority leader Chuck Schumer and at least two Republican Senators—Sen Tom Cotton (R-Ark.) and Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.). In the closely divided Senate, just a handful of Republican defections can be enough to give critics of President Trump a majority.

ZTE is facing the crippling US export ban after the company was caught selling telecommunications equipment to North Korea and Iran in violation of US sanctions laws. ZTE reached a settlement with the US government over the issue in 2017, but the Trump administration says that ZTE didn't keep the promises it made under that deal.

The deal required ZTE to pay an $890 million fine. It also required the company to discipline dozens of executives who were involved in the scheme, including withholding bonuses. But the US government says ZTE paid those bonuses out anyway and then lied about it to US officials.

In May, the Trump administration imposed a seven-year ban on US companies selling technology to ZTE. ZTE depends heavily on Qualcomm chips and Google's Android operating system, so losing access to US technology was a serious blow for the Chinese firm.

But Trump soon raised concerns about the deal, tweeting that it would lead to "too many jobs in China lost." So last week the US government announced a new deal that involved ZTE paying an additional $1 billion in fines, putting $400 million in escrow as a deterrent for future misdeeds and replacing its leadership.
There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.

User avatar
Azza
Posts: 108
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2005 6:50 pm
Location: Albuquerque

Re: Trump Trade War

Post by Azza » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:49 pm

Following up your Star link:

Trump says he’ll punish ‘the people of Canada’ because of Trudeau’s news conferencehttps://www.thestar.com/news/world/2018 ... ummit.html
Escalating his attack on Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, U.S. President Donald Trump is now pledging to punish “the people of Canada” economically because of the post-G7 news conference in which Trudeau criticized Trump’s tariffs.

“That’s going to cost a lot of money for the people of Canada. He learned. You can’t do that. You can’t do that,” Trump said Tuesday in Singapore after meeting with North Korean dictator Kim Jong Un.

Trump repeated the vague threat in an interview with ABC.

“I actually like Justin, you know, I think he’s good, I like him, but he shouldn’t have done that. That was a mistake. That’s going to cost him a lot of money,” Trump said.
Relevant:

DHS Announces ‘Strengthened Northern Border Strategy’ Amid Growing Tensions Between U.S. and Canada
http://www.newsweek.com/dhs-announces-s ... ons-973115
With tensions between the U.S. and Canada on the rise, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) has announced a "strengthened" Northern Border Strategy that it claims will help "combat terrorism" and "help facilitate travel and trade" at its border with Canada.

In a press release published on Tuesday, the DHS said its new strategy "establishes a clear vision and concrete actions that will improve DHS's efforts to safeguard our northern border against terrorist and criminal threats, facilitate the safe and efficient flow of lawful cross-border trade and travel and strengthen cross-border critical infrastructure protection and community resilience."
I have no sig!

User avatar
hepcat
Posts: 35856
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 3:02 pm
Location: Chicago, IL Home of the triple homicide!

Re: Trump Trade War

Post by hepcat » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:05 pm

We’re making enemies with the folks who brought us Bob and Doug McKenzie, but we’re now friends with the folks who torture and kill our kids when given the chance.
I beat a camel to death with a monkey. Can I do that?
-Mr Bismarck

You have to whack a few rabbits before you are ready to punch a camel.
-Coopasonic

User avatar
Remus West
Posts: 32559
Joined: Mon May 09, 2005 5:39 pm
Location: Not in Westland

Re: Trump Trade War

Post by Remus West » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:56 am

At least we are beginning to awaken to the horror that they may press their idea of bacon on us in replacement of true bacon. We must be prepared.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken

User avatar
Rip
Posts: 26815
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 9:34 pm
Location: Cajun Country!
Contact:
Rip’s avatar
Snooze

Re: Trump Trade War

Post by Rip » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:12 am

We must rise and resist the infiltration and stop the apologist culture from infecting our great nation.

:hawk:

User avatar
IceBear
Posts: 12209
Joined: Sat Nov 13, 2004 5:58 pm

Re: Trump Trade War

Post by IceBear » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:16 am

Remus West wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:56 am
At least we are beginning to awaken to the horror that they may press their idea of bacon on us in replacement of true bacon. We must be prepared.
Fyi...we don't call that bacon up here...it's ham or Peameal bacon (yes that has the word bacon in it but it's not the one true bacon bacon).

User avatar
IceBear
Posts: 12209
Joined: Sat Nov 13, 2004 5:58 pm

Re: Trump Trade War

Post by IceBear » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:18 am

Rip wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:12 am
We must rise and resist the infiltration and stop the apologist culture from infecting our great nation.

:hawk:
I want to think you're kidding but honestly I'm not sure anymore

User avatar
Vorret
Posts: 9366
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:37 pm
Location: Drummondville, QC

Re: Trump Trade War

Post by Vorret » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:32 am

Yeah Trump can go die in a fire for all I care, if it wouldn't create a war I'd stop all oil export to the USA just as a big fuck you to Trump and see what happens then.
Isgrimnur wrote:
His name makes me think of a small, burrowing rodent anyway.

User avatar
Rip
Posts: 26815
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 9:34 pm
Location: Cajun Country!
Contact:
Rip’s avatar
Snooze

Re: Trump Trade War

Post by Rip » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:37 am

Vorret wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:32 am
Yeah Trump can go die in a fire for all I care, if it wouldn't create a war I'd stop all oil export to the USA just as a big fuck you to Trump and see what happens then.
Like we wouldn't just take it.....

Notice Crimea and Canada both start with the same letter.....

User avatar
Isgrimnur
Posts: 55778
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:29 am
Location: Dallas, TX
Contact:
Isgrimnur’s avatar
Snooze

Re: Trump Trade War

Post by Isgrimnur » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:39 am

Image
Silver - 4k

Lock up the women and hide the fried chicken!

User avatar
Paingod
Posts: 8909
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:58 am

Re: Trump Trade War

Post by Paingod » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:41 am

Slap an orange toupee on that thing and it might get elected President!
More than ever, now is the time to stand by the causes you believe in; donate and support to keep America great.
Reproductive Rights, Environmental Defense, Civil Liberties, LGBTQ Awareness, Immigration Rights
Currently playing: Darkest Dungeon, The Surge

User avatar
Holman
Posts: 18828
Joined: Sun Oct 24, 2004 8:00 pm
Location: Approximately Wissahickon

Re: Trump Trade War

Post by Holman » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:41 am

Vorret wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:32 am
Yeah Trump can go die in a fire for all I care, if it wouldn't create a war I'd stop all oil export to the USA just as a big fuck you to Trump and see what happens then.
Ha! You think Canada can stand against the #MAGAJuche of the United States of North Korea??

Seriously, though. I wish I could somehow apologize to my Canadian friends for Trump.

If it's any consolation, your anger isn't 1% of mine. I go to bed with it and wake up with it every day. No joke: disgust is my dominant feeling most days.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.

User avatar
Remus West
Posts: 32559
Joined: Mon May 09, 2005 5:39 pm
Location: Not in Westland

Re: Trump Trade War

Post by Remus West » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:42 am

IceBear wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:16 am
Remus West wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:56 am
At least we are beginning to awaken to the horror that they may press their idea of bacon on us in replacement of true bacon. We must be prepared.
Fyi...we don't call that bacon up here...it's ham or Peameal bacon (yes that has the word bacon in it but it's not the one true bacon bacon).
FAKE NEWS!!!! See their propoganda campaign has already begun! Do not trust the "friendly" faces from the South.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken

User avatar
IceBear
Posts: 12209
Joined: Sat Nov 13, 2004 5:58 pm

Re: Trump Trade War

Post by IceBear » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:48 am

Rip wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:37 am
Vorret wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:32 am
Yeah Trump can go die in a fire for all I care, if it wouldn't create a war I'd stop all oil export to the USA just as a big fuck you to Trump and see what happens then.
Like we wouldn't just take it.....

Notice Crimea and Canada both start with the same letter.....
It's comments like this that backs my feelings that you're turning into 1930s Germany and we're just going to be the first to go like Poland. I honestly feel that we'll be conquered before Trump is out of office...with Russia backing him, who's going to stop him from taking over any country he wants...the rest of the world can't stand before the might of the two superpowers working together.

User avatar
Vorret
Posts: 9366
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:37 pm
Location: Drummondville, QC

Re: Trump Trade War

Post by Vorret » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:56 am

Russia isn't really a super power though they only have nukes. Take that out of the equation and they're a poor country with a big ego.
Isgrimnur wrote:
His name makes me think of a small, burrowing rodent anyway.

User avatar
Remus West
Posts: 32559
Joined: Mon May 09, 2005 5:39 pm
Location: Not in Westland

Re: Trump Trade War

Post by Remus West » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:56 am

IceBear wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:48 am
Rip wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:37 am
Vorret wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:32 am
Yeah Trump can go die in a fire for all I care, if it wouldn't create a war I'd stop all oil export to the USA just as a big fuck you to Trump and see what happens then.
Like we wouldn't just take it.....

Notice Crimea and Canada both start with the same letter.....
It's comments like this that backs my feelings that you're turning into 1930s Germany and we're just going to be the first to go like Poland. I honestly feel that we'll be conquered before Trump is out of office...with Russia backing him, who's going to stop him from taking over any country he wants...the rest of the world can't stand before the might of the two superpowers working together.
If we actually invaded Canada it would ignite the next American Civil War. There would be multiple States that refused to send troops (Good Lord, I hope Michigan would be one of those).

I will say though that I felt that last comment by Rip was him simply openly trolling rather than his usual attempts to be subtle about it.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken

User avatar
IceBear
Posts: 12209
Joined: Sat Nov 13, 2004 5:58 pm

Re: Trump Trade War

Post by IceBear » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:58 am

Oh, I suspect so too...but I honestly can't tell anymore.

User avatar
Vorret
Posts: 9366
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:37 pm
Location: Drummondville, QC

Re: Trump Trade War

Post by Vorret » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:00 am

Remus West wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:56 am
IceBear wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:48 am
Rip wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:37 am
Vorret wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:32 am
Yeah Trump can go die in a fire for all I care, if it wouldn't create a war I'd stop all oil export to the USA just as a big fuck you to Trump and see what happens then.
Like we wouldn't just take it.....

Notice Crimea and Canada both start with the same letter.....
It's comments like this that backs my feelings that you're turning into 1930s Germany and we're just going to be the first to go like Poland. I honestly feel that we'll be conquered before Trump is out of office...with Russia backing him, who's going to stop him from taking over any country he wants...the rest of the world can't stand before the might of the two superpowers working together.
If we actually invaded Canada it would ignite the next American Civil War. There would be multiple States that refused to send troops (Good Lord, I hope Michigan would be one of those).

I will say though that I felt that last comment by Rip was him simply openly trolling rather than his usual attempts to be subtle about it.
Oh and so was I, I know that cutting off oil is out of the question it would only affect the wrong people anyway so that's not a good way to go about things. It's simply frustrating to see how we're being treated after being friends for so long.
Isgrimnur wrote:
His name makes me think of a small, burrowing rodent anyway.

User avatar
GreenGoo
Posts: 35766
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 10:46 pm
Location: Ottawa, ON

Re: Trump Trade War

Post by GreenGoo » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:19 am

Isgrimnur wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:39 am
Image
He can have it. Just let me get my hands on one person it first.

User avatar
El Guapo
Posts: 30431
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2005 4:01 pm
Location: Boston

Re: Trump Trade War

Post by El Guapo » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:49 am

IceBear wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:58 am
Oh, I suspect so too...but I honestly can't tell anymore.
He's more troll than man, now. Twisted and evil.

User avatar
Alefroth
Posts: 3935
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 1:56 pm
Location: Bellingham WA

Re: Trump Trade War

Post by Alefroth » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:46 am

Holman wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:41 am

Seriously, though. I wish I could somehow apologize to my Canadian friends for Trump.
I was in Vancouver for a tech roadshow yesterday and I nearly did that a couple of times. Two of the presenters, one American and one English I presume, both took the opportunity to make slight digs at Trump.

User avatar
Remus West
Posts: 32559
Joined: Mon May 09, 2005 5:39 pm
Location: Not in Westland

Re: Trump Trade War

Post by Remus West » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:56 am

Vorret wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:00 am
Remus West wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:56 am
IceBear wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:48 am
Rip wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:37 am
Vorret wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:32 am
Yeah Trump can go die in a fire for all I care, if it wouldn't create a war I'd stop all oil export to the USA just as a big fuck you to Trump and see what happens then.
Like we wouldn't just take it.....

Notice Crimea and Canada both start with the same letter.....
It's comments like this that backs my feelings that you're turning into 1930s Germany and we're just going to be the first to go like Poland. I honestly feel that we'll be conquered before Trump is out of office...with Russia backing him, who's going to stop him from taking over any country he wants...the rest of the world can't stand before the might of the two superpowers working together.
If we actually invaded Canada it would ignite the next American Civil War. There would be multiple States that refused to send troops (Good Lord, I hope Michigan would be one of those).

I will say though that I felt that last comment by Rip was him simply openly trolling rather than his usual attempts to be subtle about it.
Oh and so was I, I know that cutting off oil is out of the question it would only affect the wrong people anyway so that's not a good way to go about things. It's simply frustrating to see how we're being treated after being friends for so long.
If it helps at all we are getting treated the same way except we get the wonderful lie of he is looking out for us and cares for us as a cherry on top of our shit sundae.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken

User avatar
Rip
Posts: 26815
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 9:34 pm
Location: Cajun Country!
Contact:
Rip’s avatar
Snooze

Re: Trump Trade War

Post by Rip » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:16 pm

Jeez lighten up frances's.

You guys are acting like the people that read the onion and think it is real news.

Trump can't even get a merger permitted how the hell is he going to launch an offensive war.

This is right up there with the crazy bat shit stuff about Obama.

Has anyone checked his Birth Certificate? Maybe he is a real descendant of Hitler and Eva Braun after Hitler faked his death.

Couldn't be a coincidence that they "supposedly" said they had some fake evidence he was dead.

:roll:

User avatar
Rumpy
Posts: 7901
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2005 6:52 pm
Location: Sudbury, Ontario, Canada

Re: Trump Trade War

Post by Rumpy » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:31 pm

Yeah, these are sad times for Canadians. I feel like this has to blow over eventually. Fact is, backstabbing is simply not in our nature, besides which, why would we do it to a country we consider a brother, one which we stood by with war after war. I have to think all of this was distraction over the whole environmental summit, by picking a fight on whoever ended up being closest/host country.

User avatar
GreenGoo
Posts: 35766
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 10:46 pm
Location: Ottawa, ON

Re: Trump Trade War

Post by GreenGoo » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:15 pm

Shrug. We'll survive. Unlike Drumpf, we're not busy alienating all of our allies. If we ever had a puppet master, it was the US, so if they want to cut us loose, well, we'll just see how it turns out for both of us. Obviously it sucks, but less obviously, it sucks for the US too.

If there was ever a time were it could be predicted that a US president would economically alienate Canada while diplomatically cozying up with Russia, I must have missed it. Bush and Cheney tried hard to put us in a corner when we didn't follow them into Iraq like the UK did, but in one of my prouder moments as a Canadian, we didn't bend to that pressure.

Bush said some mean things about us. Meh. Drumpf has decided to see whether he can bring us to heel by cutting off his nose. We'll see how his face feels about that eventually.

It will be better when he's gone.

User avatar
Kraken
Posts: 32296
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:59 pm
Location: The Hub of the Universe
Contact:
Kraken’s avatar
Offline

Re: Trump Trade War

Post by Kraken » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:50 pm

Canadians, and the rest of the world, can see that America is plainly undergoing a psychotic episode. The crisis will pass, but things will never be quite the same now that they know we might go off our meds again at any time.

User avatar
gbasden
Posts: 5412
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 1:57 am
Location: Sacramento, CA

Re: Trump Trade War

Post by gbasden » Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:22 am

Holman wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:41 am

If it's any consolation, your anger isn't 1% of mine. I go to bed with it and wake up with it every day. No joke: disgust is my dominant feeling most days.
Word. You and me both, sir.

User avatar
Daehawk
Posts: 40124
Joined: Sat Jan 01, 2005 1:11 am
daehawk’s avatar
Snooze

Re: Trump Trade War

Post by Daehawk » Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:43 am

So the turd in chief hit China with $50 billion in tariffs. I expect this will not end well for us.
---------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
GroovAtroN, stop asking
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk

User avatar
GreenGoo
Posts: 35766
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 10:46 pm
Location: Ottawa, ON

Re: Trump Trade War

Post by GreenGoo » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:00 am

gbasden wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:22 am
Holman wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:41 am

If it's any consolation, your anger isn't 1% of mine. I go to bed with it and wake up with it every day. No joke: disgust is my dominant feeling most days.
Word. You and me both, sir.
Just remember this is the entirety of the end game for many people. Stigginit is the be all end all for many people who voted for this clown. This should give you strength and resolve to fight back.

People want you you be upset. It's ok to be upset, just don't let them win.

User avatar
GreenGoo
Posts: 35766
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 10:46 pm
Location: Ottawa, ON

Re: Trump Trade War

Post by GreenGoo » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:02 am

Daehawk wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:43 am
So the turd in chief hit China with $50 billion in tariffs. I expect this will not end well for us.
He's all over the place. His completely random economic policy is responsible for your current economic success. I am told this with a straight face.

User avatar
Isgrimnur
Posts: 55778
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:29 am
Location: Dallas, TX
Contact:
Isgrimnur’s avatar
Snooze

Re: Trump Trade War

Post by Isgrimnur » Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:32 pm

WaPo
President Trump followed through Friday on his threat to crack down on China for its “very unfair” trade practices, imposing a 25 percent tariff on $50 billion in Chinese imports and drawing an immediate threat of retaliation from Beijing.

In a late-night statement, China’s Ministry of Commerce said it would impose trade barriers of the “same scale and the same strength,” and that Trump’s tariffs were “damaging” relations and “undermining the world trade order.”

U.S. and Chinese officials in recent weeks had made progress on a deal that involved up to $70 billion in additional purchases of American products. But the Chinese offer was now “invalid,” the statement said.

Chinese officials, who had signaled their intention to retaliate if Trump went through with his tariff threats, are targeting the president’s supporters in farm states and the industrial Midwest.

Anticipating the Chinese response, the president said the United States would “pursue additional tariffs,” raising the specter of the tit-for-tat trade war that business leaders and many congressional Republicans fear.

In a short White House statement, the president said the import tax would apply to “goods from China that contain industrially significant technologies.”
...
On April 6, the administration published a proposed list of 1,333 products targeted for tariffs. After hearing objections from business groups, U.S. Trade Representative Robert E. Lighthizer dropped 515 items and added 284 new ones.

As a result, the tariffs will be imposed in two steps. On July 6, customs officers will begin collecting the tax on an initial basket of goods valued at $34 billion, which were on the initial list.

The Office of the U.S. Trade Representative (USTR), meanwhile, will field comments on the new items on the list, valued at $16 billion.
Silver - 4k

Lock up the women and hide the fried chicken!

User avatar
wonderpug
Posts: 9292
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2004 4:38 pm
Location: Albuquerque, NM

Re: Trump Trade War

Post by wonderpug » Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:40 pm

Well at least there's not a lot of stuff we use in America that's made in China.

Jeff V
Posts: 30156
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2004 7:17 pm
Location: Nowhere you want to be.

Re: Trump Trade War

Post by Jeff V » Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:01 pm

wonderpug wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:40 pm
Well at least there's not a lot of stuff we use in America that's made in China.
Meanwhile, Walmart announces a new round of Price Roll-ups! Signage will resemble their "Price Roll-backs" campaign except the prices will go higher.

User avatar
Daehawk
Posts: 40124
Joined: Sat Jan 01, 2005 1:11 am
daehawk’s avatar
Snooze

Re: Trump Trade War

Post by Daehawk » Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:31 pm

Jeff V wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:01 pm
wonderpug wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:40 pm
Well at least there's not a lot of stuff we use in America that's made in China.
Meanwhile, Walmart announces a new round of Price Roll-ups! Signage will resemble their "Price Roll-backs" campaign except the prices will go higher.
Instead of the smiley face it uses trump's.
Anticipating the Chinese response, the president said the United States would “pursue additional tariffs,” raising the specter of the tit-for-tat trade war that business leaders and many congressional Republicans fear.
Trump - "You're a nincompoop"
China - "No you're a nincompoop"
Trump - "You're a bigger nincompoop"
China - "No you"
Trump - "Uh uhhh"

I do get a small satisfaction out of it saying China would be targeting Trump's voting base with these tariffs. It does make me smile just a little in this crap.
---------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
GroovAtroN, stop asking
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk

User avatar
LordMortis
Posts: 58992
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:26 pm

Re: Trump Trade War

Post by LordMortis » Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:47 pm

Daehawk wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:31 pm
Instead of the smiley face it uses trump's.
https://youtu.be/SaF5Whtma0k?t=12


Though I really doubt there is a Trump Walmart alliance. Walmart and the Clintons are Peanutbutter and Jelly and since 2016 Trump and the Clinton's are fire and water.

Drazzil
Posts: 1950
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2004 3:54 pm

Re: Trump Trade War

Post by Drazzil » Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:59 pm

Step 1: Slash corporate taxes to historic lows.

Step 2:Roll back EPA regulations.

Step 3: Announce trade war with China.

One might surmise Trump may be trying to bring back American manufacturing?

I am NOT for an open trade war and the short term disruption of the economy that that may entail, however the American worker has gotten screwed since the 70's so this may serve to correct that.... I hope.
Daehawk wrote:Thats Drazzil's chair damnit.

User avatar
LordMortis
Posts: 58992
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:26 pm

Re: Trump Trade War

Post by LordMortis » Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:17 pm

Drazzil wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:59 pm
Step 1: Slash corporate taxes to historic lows.

Step 2:Roll back EPA regulations.

Step 3: Announce trade war with China.

One might surmise Trump may be trying to bring back American manufacturing?

I am NOT for an open trade war and the short term disruption of the economy that that may entail, however the American worker has gotten screwed since the 70's so this may serve to correct that.... I hope.

There is no correction to restore lost manufacturing jobs. There is only moving to other jobs. The good news is industry in the US will bring jobs. Very few of them will be non skilled manufacturing. They will essentially be minimal wage internal logistics until such a time as robotics advances are cheap enough cut that feature out as well.

OtOH, if you are skilled in robotics, there's a bright and sustained future for you.

https://ark-invest.com/research/industrial-robot-costs
https://www.economist.com/graphic-detai ... ial-robots
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features ... -the-world

Grow or die.
Or reject the dominant paradigm.

Post Reply