Immigration Policy

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

gbasden

Re: Immigration Policy

Post by gbasden »

NickAragua wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:43 am It's funny, back when the orange turd got elected, I made some not-so-joking jokes about him setting up gulags. I wish I had been wrong.

I just don't see how it's possible for me to respect anyone who voted for this scum.
I can sort of understand people who voted for him. People who still support these policies are morally bankrupt and abetters of evil. I've already stopped talking with a long time friend. If you can't see that ripping toddlers away from their parents and putting them in cages is contempuous, I have no room for you in my life.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Holman wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:12 am "Infest."

He's also using the same language to talk about migrants in Germany, but of course they've heard it before.
Everybody the Dems don't like is Hitler.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

McConnell now supports legislation to stop this practice. Never mind they already have one on the table, backed by every Democrat.

I'd bet my next paycheck that their "fix" comes loaded with a hundred other conservative wishlist items that they know wouldn't get passed otherwise, and they will scream "See, Democrats are the REAL badguys!" when it is opposed.

Remember kids, Trump could end the entire damn thing with a phone call...but won't. He might risk disappointing the concentration camp enthusiast segment of deplorables.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Speaking of support, where are all the "Pro-Life" and "Pro-Family" groups right now? Apparently they have nothing to say:
Susan B. Anthony List, an anti-abortion organization that pledges to “encircle the vulnerable ones who need us, and to fight until they are safe and free,” said Monday it won’t discuss Attorney General Jeff Sessions’ “zero-tolerance” immigration policy, which separates children from their parents so the adults can be criminally prosecuted for crossing the border without documentation. Previously, authorities typically kept migrant families together and routed them to immigration courts.

“From its inception, Susan B. Anthony List has been completely dedicated to protecting the first right without which no other rights matter: the right to life,” the group’s president, Marjorie Dannenfelser, said in a statement. “Therefore, we refrain from public comment on immigration and many other topics, including other policies that impact families.”
I didn't think it was possible to feel additional rage. I was wrong.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Rip

Post by Rip »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:15 pm You really have two options.

1) Allow any country to have a seat to foster inclusiveness
2) Let only those with good records have a seat, ostracizing those that don't, who aren't going to listen to you anyway.
Hard to look at the fact that they have called out Israel more than the most abusive half dozen countries on the planet.....COMBINED. Council was an absolute joke, waste of time, energy, and money.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Can you put a "sad" at the end of that reply in all caps? You can't just paraphrase the Trump emulator you're using today. You have to copy and paste the whole thing or it just doesn't work as well.
Covfefe!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Skinypupy wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:55 pm Remember kids, Trump could end the entire damn thing with a phone call...but won't. He might risk disappointing the concentration camp enthusiast segment of deplorables.
Trump's pathological inability to admit he's wrong should be a sign that the man is mentally unstable. But his idiot supporters love that about him, I guess. Plus, he was on TV!
Covfefe!
Enough

Post by Enough »

Enough wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:37 pm You know what makes MS-13 cohorts and other deadlies? Policies exactly like Trump is pursuing. You can bet these kids who came to the border to request asylum will remember this.

https://twitter.com/JProskowGlobal/stat ... 5348021249
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
Holman

Post by Holman »

Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

https://www.freep.com/story/news/2018/0 ... 685038002/

Blame Democrats in Congress that this isn't fixed tomorrow.
Since May 1, Bethany Christian Services has served 76 children in their transitional foster care programs in Michigan, 58 of which were children separated from their families, according to statistics provided through a spokeswoman by Dana Anderson, associate director of Bethany’s Grand Rapids Branch.

Out of the 58 children separated, almost half, 27, were admitted in May, the month that the U.S. started separating children. In January, Bethany admitted only one child who was separated, 10 in February, 11 in March, 7 in April.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Mike Pence is in Philadelphia for some bullshit GOP fundraiser this evening. Fortunately we've got a huge crowd protesting the family separation policy.

My favorite sign so far:

Enlarge Image
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I am amazed that this particular issue is blowing up like this.

Gladdened, but amazed.

That it's directed at Sessions and Pence is even better, as all the evil being done under cover of Drumpf's constant bombast was in danger of being unaddressed.
Holman

Post by Holman »

And another:

Jag

Post by Jag »

"A 10 Year Old Girl With Down Syndrome was taken from her parents"; Corey Lewandoski: "Womp Womp."

Pure villainy at this point. They aren't even hiding it.

tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

Home of the Akimbo AWPs
Holman

Post by Holman »

Lewandoski helped get Trump elected. Whose side are you on??
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I didn't understand "womp womp" until I heard him say it. What a piece of shit. I suppose Democrats made him that way and force him to be... I don't even have words.

Mar 18, 2015 12:17:53 PM Corey Lewandowski, Senior Political Adviser: "Mr.Trump has the vision and leadership skills to bring our country back to greatness."

Mar 29, 2016 11:41:33 AM Wow, Corey Lewandowski, my campaign manager and a very decent man, was just charged with assaulting a reporter. Look at tapes-nothing there!

Dec 16, 2017 09:52:03 AM Congratulations to two great and hardworking guys, Corey Lewandowski and David Bossie, on the success of their just out book, “Let Trump Be Trump.” Finally people with real knowledge are writing about our wonderful and exciting campaign!
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

i just saw a Trump defender on CNN blaming the parents for bringing their kids and calling them "invaders". Do these people have no hearts? I mean, I'm not for "open borders" and we can't take on all the world's poor but I certainly understand why immigrants are coming and have sympathy for them as a fellow human being. Have they no decency?
Last edited by Grifman on Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Just like those dirty wops and heathen Irish papists back in the day. Those invaders sure trashed our country!
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Captain Caveman

Post by Captain Caveman »

This is so distressing. What the hell is happening to this country?

It really feels like this is a huge moment. If this policy continues, or Trump is able to successfully extort concessions for his hostages, I fear that things can and will get a lot worse. The uproar so far is encouraging but unless the pushback forces Trump to relent, he’s just going to be embolden to keep pushing and flaunting his power through cruelty. Right now, the checks don’t seem to be checking, and the balances are all out of whack.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

GreenGoo wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:42 pm I am amazed that this particular issue is blowing up like this.

Gladdened, but amazed.

That it's directed at Sessions and Pence is even better, as all the evil being done under cover of Drumpf's constant bombast was in danger of being unaddressed.
Kids really pull on the heartstrings and conscience like nothing else. And obviously the whole MS-13 rhetoric Trump uses is ridiculous anyway, but even the dumbest of people can't be fooled into thinking a 4 year old is in MS-13.
Black Lives Matter.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Grifman wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:01 pm i just saw a Trump defender on CNN blaming the parents for bringing their kids and calling them "invaders". Do these people have no hearts? I mean, I'm not for "open borders" and we can't take on all the world's poor but I certainly understand why immigrants are coming and have sympathy for them as a fellow human being. Have they no decency?
No, as far as I can tell these people have no empathy, at least for people other than themselves. They can't picture having been born in a lawless country, they can't picture fearing your children will be killed or co-opted by gangs, and they can't picture their kids being taken from them. Those brown people are a threat, and so therefore they deserve anything they get. I'll never understand that ability to dehumanize other human beings.

And I know that we should be trying to make common cause with Trump supporters somehow, but this is one of those bright lines of good vs. evil in my eyes that I just can't do anything but condemn it and those that support it.
Last edited by gbasden on Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

This is not the win Trump thinks it is:
A Quinnipiac survey released early Monday afternoon found that by a margin of 66 to 27 percent, voters oppose the policy of separating children from their parents when families illegally cross the border into the United States. Among Independents, only 24 percent favor the policy, while 68 percent oppose it. Among whites without college degrees, the heart of Mr. Trump’s coalition, support stands at only 37 percent, with 52 percent opposed. But underscoring the dilemma facing the White House and Republican congressional leaders, 55 percent of Republicans support the policy, the only group to do so.
Yeah, it's terrible that 55% of Republicans favor the current policy, but that number is still not a huge majority of Republicans - a significant number oppose the policy. Among independents it's killing him. This is going to reverse the favorable trend that Republicans have been seeing lately in their mid term prospects. I just wish it wasn't due to the suffering of mothers, fathers and children.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Holman

Post by Holman »

El Guapo wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:14 pm
GreenGoo wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:42 pm I am amazed that this particular issue is blowing up like this.

Gladdened, but amazed.

Kids really pull on the heartstrings and conscience like nothing else. And obviously the whole MS-13 rhetoric Trump uses is ridiculous anyway, but even the dumbest of people can't be fooled into thinking a 4 year old is in MS-13.
I've heard at least two separate soundbites of Trumpalos saying that immigrant kids will "grow up into MS-13."

One of them was on Fox & Friends, which is basically Trump's Pravda.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Worse they could grow up to be hired by fox and friends.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Grifman wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:01 pm i just saw a Trump defender on CNN blaming the parents for bringing their kids and calling them "invaders". Do these people have no hearts? I mean, I'm not for "open borders" and we can't take on all the world's poor but I certainly understand why immigrants are coming and have sympathy for them as a fellow human being. Have they no decency?
That is the overwhelming majority line in my sister's facebook feed. The people in question are ALL fundamentalist Christians...which somehow explains everything and is simultaneously impossible to understand.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Kraken wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:35 pm
That is the overwhelming majority line in my sister's facebook feed. The people in question are ALL fundamentalist Christians...which somehow explains everything and is simultaneously impossible to understand.
I'm not religious, but I can't understand being devout and believing in Jesus and yet supporting shit like this that is antithetical to everything he said in the bible. If Christianity is true I hope to hell these people have a lot to answer for when they approach the pearly gates.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

MarketWatch
Protesters confronted Homeland Security Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen inside a Mexican restaurant Tuesday night, chanting “Shame!” over the Trump administration’s policy of separating children from their parents at the border.

In video posted on Twitter, protesters are seen heckling Nielson, sitting just feet away at a table with a guest, surrounded by her security. The protesters loudly called for the end of the controversial policy, and the abolition of Immigration and Customs Enforcement, which is a unit under Homeland Security.
The incident apparently took place at MXDC Cocina Mexicana Restaurant on 14th Street in Washington. One protesters can be heard on video noting the irony. “In a Mexican restaurant, of all places!” she says.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

El Guapo wrote:And obviously the whole MS-13 rhetoric Trump uses is ridiculous anyway, but even the dumbest of people can't be fooled into thinking a 4 year old is in MS-13.
Nielsen was implying that MS-13 was grabbing random kids to use as props to fool their way into the country.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I wish cops would just start pulling over every car with a Trump bumper sticker for going 1 mph over the speed limit. Then when the driver complained say, "Sorry, I'm just enforcing the law. If you have a problem, get Congress to do something about it."
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

YellowKing wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:19 pm
El Guapo wrote:And obviously the whole MS-13 rhetoric Trump uses is ridiculous anyway, but even the dumbest of people can't be fooled into thinking a 4 year old is in MS-13.
Nielsen was implying that MS-13 was grabbing random kids to use as props to fool their way into the country.
It's not that there aren't ridiculous arguments to be made, and that at least *some* people believe them, but...it's much harder, and fewer idiots will be fooled.
Black Lives Matter.
Captain Caveman

Post by Captain Caveman »

This is just unbearable. 😢
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Captain Caveman wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:11 pm

Yeah. It makes me heartsick.
Fireball

Post by Fireball »

gbasden wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:47 pm
Kraken wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:35 pm
I'm not religious, but I can't understand being devout and believing in Jesus and yet supporting shit like this that is antithetical to everything he said in the bible. If Christianity is true I hope to hell these people have a lot to answer for when they approach the pearly gates.
The most politically active fundamentalist “Christians” are almost all frauds. Most follow the “prosperity Gospel”, which effectively amounts to rich white people saying, “God wants me to be rich, so fuck you.”
Wed Oct 20, 2004 1:17 am
Zarathud: The sad thing is that Barak Obama is a very intelligent and articulate person, even when you disagree with his views it's clear that he's very thoughtful. I would have loved to see Obama in a real debate.
Me: Wait 12 years, when he runs for president. :-)
Fireball

Post by Fireball »

Captain Caveman wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:11 pm

Completely. I break down into tears at least once a day. I can’t sleep anymore. I’ve gained 50 pounds since Trump took office because I’m constantly stress eating. He’s destroying our country. I don’t see how we ever come back from this. I just don’t want to be anymore.
Wed Oct 20, 2004 1:17 am
Zarathud: The sad thing is that Barak Obama is a very intelligent and articulate person, even when you disagree with his views it's clear that he's very thoughtful. I would have loved to see Obama in a real debate.
Me: Wait 12 years, when he runs for president. :-)
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

How and why are the parents giving up their children in these situations?

Can you imagine giving up your kids to, say, Croatian officials when you try to enter the country? Who gives up their kids? And if they aren't giving them up willingly, wtf is happening to separate the kids from their parents?

I am not fear mongering, I genuinely want to know how this is being made to work without bloodshed.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Is it too early to follow the money? Somebody's getting rich off this, and I'll bet some of those bodies are Trump cronies. (So far I've only read that the kids are being warehoused by nonprofit organizations, but some of the richest entities in the world ((e.g., the Catholic Church, Harvard)) are nonprofits, so I'm not reassured by that.)
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

LordMortis wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:51 pm I didn't understand "womp womp" until I heard him say it. What a piece of shit. I suppose Democrats made him that way and force him to be... I don't even have words.

Mar 18, 2015 12:17:53 PM Corey Lewandowski, Senior Political Adviser: "Mr.Trump has the vision and leadership skills to bring our country back to greatness."

Mar 29, 2016 11:41:33 AM Wow, Corey Lewandowski, my campaign manager and a very decent man, was just charged with assaulting a reporter. Look at tapes-nothing there!

Dec 16, 2017 09:52:03 AM Congratulations to two great and hardworking guys, Corey Lewandowski and David Bossie, on the success of their just out book, “Let Trump Be Trump.” Finally people with real knowledge are writing about our wonderful and exciting campaign!
Yeah, I think it's actually waa waa, as in boo hoo. What a piece of shit he is.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

GreenGoo wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:57 am How and why are the parents giving up their children in these situations?

Can you imagine giving up your kids to, say, Croatian officials when you try to enter the country? Who gives up their kids? And if they aren't giving them up willingly, wtf is happening to separate the kids from their parents?

I am not fear mongering, I genuinely want to know how this is being made to work without bloodshed.
From what I've read, in some cases the guards say they are taking the children for a bath and then they simply never return. If the parents won't let them go, armed ICE officers simply take them as in the case of the woman who begged them to let her finish breastfeeding her child and they simply ripped the child away from her.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Another outcome of all of this is that it shows how *completely broken* our system is. Almost everyone outside the administration agrees this is inhumane and evil. They all want it stopped especially as the stories burn on in the media. Yet they can't agree to just cross the aisle and work together. There is no reason to do it even when children are caught in the cross hairs. What will it take for anyone to do anything? The answer appears to be nothing. Apparently there is no flexibility in this system and that is why it will break.

This opinion piece illustrates the idiocy. The Republicans had to deal with endless mocking about the Hillary Clinton email hearing yesterday from D Reps and the public about investigating Clinton emails *AGAIN* while ignoring the immigration issue.