SCOTUS Watch

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Sepiche

Re: SCOTUS Watch

Post by Sepiche »

Vanity Fair: Despite big talk publicly, GOP close to pulling the plug on Kavanaugh
The confusion surrounding Rosenstein’s tenure may not give Kavanaugh a reprieve. In public, Trump continues to voice support for his embattled Supreme Court nominee, telling reporters at the United Nations earlier this morning that he stands with Kavanaugh “all the way.” But in private, Trump is growing increasingly frustrated by being mired in a deteriorating political situation beyond his control. On Monday morning, a Republican briefed on Trump’s thinking said the president has been considering pulling Kavanaugh’s nomination.

According to the source, Trump allies are imploring him to cut Kavanaugh loose for the sake of saving Republicans’ electoral chances in the midterms. The argument these advisers are making is that if Kavanaugh’s nomination fails, demoralized Republicans will stay home in November, and Democrats will take the House and the Senate and initiate impeachment proceedings.
Article also discusses the recent Rosenstein headlines were indeed intended to get Kavanaugh out of the news cycle.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Kurth wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:25 pm Also, when did we get to 4? I count the original, Ramirez, and now this whatever it is in MD county being reported by rawstory.

Which one am I missing?
Avenatti is claiming to represent another, but he hasn't released details yet that I've seen.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Holman

Post by Holman »

Sepiche wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:31 pm Article also discusses the recent Rosenstein headlines were indeed intended to get Kavanaugh out of the news cycle.
If that's the case, Kavanaugh really shouldn't be doing a prime-time interview with his wife on Fox this evening...

Aside from the weird irregularity of this move, it strongly suggests that he's trying to appeal to the conservative base to stay on his side.

Also, possible Supreme Court Justice: biased partiality much?
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Captain Caveman

Post by Captain Caveman »

He's such a wet noodle that I'm not sure this PR stunt will help him.

He's trying to seem indignant, but instead he looks like he might cry. I can't see Fox's #1 viewer, our president, liking this very much.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Looks like Kavanaugh is their hill to die on.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Captain Caveman wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:14 pm He's such a wet noodle that I'm not sure this PR stunt will help him.

He's trying to seem indignant, but instead he looks like he might cry. I can't see Fox's #1 viewer, our president, liking this very much.
Perhaps he whispered that in her ear as he groped her?
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Skinypupy wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:56 pm

Indeed. He wont withdraw, Trump will not pick someone else, and republican judiciary senators will be enough.
All that is left at this point is the political price.

I hate putting faith in the American voter. They suck.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Unagi wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:07 pmI hate putting faith in the American voter. They suck.
I guess we just wait and see what happens when Avenatti's client uncloaks over the next two days and shares what happened to her:

.@michaelavenatti tells us his client will go public with an on-camera interview and more details of accusations against Kavanaugh in the next 48 hours https://politi.co/2NDC72T via @politico
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

.@tedbarrettcnn reports:

Q: Should Ramírez be summoned to testify?

@OrrinHatch: No, I think we can look into that accusation. You’re going to have these phony accusations come always. ...

Q: Why do you say it’s a phony allegation?

Hatch: Because I know it is, that’s why.
Orrin Hatch, everyone. Redefining deplorable with every disgusting statement.

Just leave already.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Hatch has been a senator for ~41 years; McConnell for ~34. You're seeing what happens when career criminals that have been operating in the shadows for decades are finally realizing nothing matters anymore.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Holman

Post by Holman »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:20 pm Hatch has been a senator for ~41 years; McConnell for ~34. You're seeing what happens when career criminals that have been operating in the shadows for decades are finally realizing nothing matters anymore.
Fun fact: Hatch won his first senate race by attacking an incumbent who had been in office for 18 years, claiming that he had been in Washington too long.

Gerald Ford was president at the time.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Scoop20906

SCOTUS Watch

Post by Scoop20906 »

Oops. Couldn’t find the link I wanted.

Still, Avenatti is on the warpath again.
Scoop. Makeup and hair are fabulous. - Qantaga

Xbox Gamertag: Scoop20906
Steam: Scoop20906
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Unagi wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:07 pm
Skinypupy wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:56 pm

Indeed. He wont withdraw, Trump will not pick someone else, and republican judiciary senators will be enough.
All that is left at this point is the political price.

I hate putting faith in the American voter. They suck.
Note that "Republican judiciary senators" are not the final say. Technically all the judiciary committee would be voting on is a recommendation to the full Senate (so even if they voted no, McConnell can still bring Kavanaugh to the floor).

The question is whether any two Republican senators decide that they are unwilling to go along with this shitshow / pay the political price for doing so, after the additional stuff that's likely going to come out before a Senate floor vote. I'm cautiously optimistic that Kavanaugh will get zero democratic votes at this point.
Black Lives Matter.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Black Lives Matter.
Enough

Post by Enough »

I don't see what the big deal is now that we know that Kav is still a virgin. LOL, these people.
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Enlarge Image

He later corrected it

It might be autocorrect, but I have to wonder if it's some sort of Freudian slip. Someone should probably check any acquisitions Trump's recently acquired.
Fretmute

Post by Fretmute »

I would just like to see a single thought, just one, without a superlative. A single thought.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Its always 'the greatest' with him yet he is bottom of the barrel scum.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Papa Smurph

Post by Papa Smurph »

Unagi wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:04 pm
Captain Caveman wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:14 pm He's such a wet noodle that I'm not sure this PR stunt will help him.

Perhaps he whispered that in her ear as he groped her?
Sadly, I cannot tell if you mean:

Kavanaugh whispered that in her ear as Kavanaugh groped her
or
Kavanaugh whispered that in her ear as Trump groped her
or
Trump whispered that in her ear as Kavanaugh groped her
or
Trump whispered that in her ear as Trump groped her

Wow, these morally superior Republicans sure are doing a good job, huh!
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Unagi wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:07 pm I hate putting faith in the American voter. They suck.
Your welcome! :mrgreen:
Technically, he shouldn't be here.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Fretmute wrote:I would just like to see a single thought, just one, without a superlative. A single thought.
He tweets like an excitable child learning about the wonderful world of hyperbole and exaggeration for the first time in grade school.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Wait - so is Kavanaugh using "I was a virgin" as a defense? Of what? That he never succeeded in raping anyone? You know who else are virgins? Those bitterly misogynistic guys who call themselves Incels. It doesn't make you a better person.

Also, for chuckles, it looks like Kavanaugh and pals joked about conquests that never happened in their yearbooks, according to one woman who signed the letter attesting to his morality before she discovered she was listed as the town bicycle by him and his friends.

Goddamn, I just want it all to stop. Each week that passes makes me think "Well, things can't get any worse in the US" and then the GOP one-ups themselves.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

em2nought wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:00 am
Unagi wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:07 pm I hate putting faith in the American voter. They suck.
mine?
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

Paingod wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:24 am Wait - so is Kavanaugh using "I was a virgin" as a defense? Of what? That he never succeeded in raping anyone? You know who else are virgins? Those bitterly misogynistic guys who call themselves Incels. It doesn't make you a better person.
It's the old "if there wasn't penis > vagina penetration, then it wasn't sex, and if there wasn't penetration, it also wasn't rape, and if it wasn't rape, then it wasn't real sexual assault, so what's the big deal?" We've seen this before, and it's a real bad look.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Chaz wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:03 am
Paingod wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:24 am Wait - so is Kavanaugh using "I was a virgin" as a defense? Of what? That he never succeeded in raping anyone? You know who else are virgins? Those bitterly misogynistic guys who call themselves Incels. It doesn't make you a better person.
It's the old "if there wasn't penis > vagina penetration, then it wasn't sex, and if there wasn't penetration, it also wasn't rape, and if it wasn't rape, then it wasn't real sexual assault, so what's the big deal?" We've seen this before, and it's a real bad look.
Guys like that need to get not-raped in their face by a kindly fist.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:19 am
Chaz wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:03 am
Guys like that need to get not-raped in their face by a kindly fist.
According to the GOP women "voters" CNN interviewed, that'd just be some touching, and nothing for them to get upset about.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:54 am Its always 'the greatest' with him yet he is bottom of the barrel scum.
Trump2k16 tha Greate$t.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

A nice in-depth with Maddow reviewing Kavanaugh's second accuser, accusations of gang rape against Mark Judge (Kavanaugh's friend) provided by one of Judge's ex's, and Avenatti's new client (one with multiple instances of US Security clearance) that claims Judge and Kavanaugh were involved in multiple gang rapes after drugging women.

Black Lives Matter

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Paingod wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:58 am A nice in-depth with Maddow reviewing Kavanaugh's second accuser, accusations of gang rape against Mark Judge (Kavanaugh's friend) provided by one of Judge's ex's, and Avenatti's new client (one with multiple instances of US Security clearance) that claims Judge and Kavanaugh were involved in multiple gang rapes after drugging women.

I skeptical. Or maybe more accurately, I'm cynical. I have fears that it's a honeypot set up for Avenatti/Maddow. I'm not confident in their vetting process. If it proves to be false, any true accusations would be burned on the "fake news" bonfire.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

There are many times I feel like Maddow is the liberal version of Hannity.

This is most certainly one of them.
Hodor.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

pr0ner wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:04 amThere are many times I feel like Maddow is the liberal version of Hannity.
For comparison.

Black Lives Matter

pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Are you trying to say that Maddow is not the liberal version of Hannity?
Hodor.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

I didn't say anything. I offered a direct comparison for anyone who wants to watch the two. Same topic. Roughly the same duration.
Black Lives Matter

pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

I personally don't want to watch either one of them (that Maddow Trump tax release show can take a flying leap into the trash pits of TV hell, for instance), but that doesn't stop millions of other people from doing the same, unfortunately.
Hodor.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

To my ears, Maddow spends 20 minutes covering her sources and info. She wants to know why the GOP is so insistent on ram-rodding this instead of letting the FBI do its job. She questions the sanity in putting on blinders and running as fast as they can. She stays on topic and keeps the pieces fitting together. She does like to build up backstory so you understand where the story is coming from at its roots, which can get a little drawn out.

Hannity spends a few minutes covering his sources, with a lot of it being the accused denying repeatedly while Hannity starts spinning "whataboutisms" that have nothing to do with the supreme court hearings, and trying to prop up straw men that have nothing to do with the actual events. He tops it all off with a long rant about Liberals and character assassination.

Though, I admit my favorite quote from him in that clip - taken out of context is this:
Hannity wrote:...Republicans are racist, sexist, misogynistic, homophobic, xenophobic, islamophobic, oh, they want dirty air and water...
I agree with him. The current state of the Republican party is exactly this.
Black Lives Matter

Kurth

Post by Kurth »

pr0ner wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:35 am I personally don't want to watch either one of them (that Maddow Trump tax release show can take a flying leap into the trash pits of TV hell, for instance), but that doesn't stop millions of other people from doing the same, unfortunately.
+1

Also, I wonder if Vegas is laying odds on Avenatti getting disbarred at some point. That guy is a self-serving hustler if ever I saw one. He keeps stepping right up to the line. At some point, he’s going to cross it, and I think there will be hell to pay if/when he does.

So, yeah, count me in as a skeptic/cynic as far as Avenatti’s super secret accuser with a security clearance.
Last edited by Kurth on Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

C-
Too focused on one specific forum member.
Try a broader approach next time.
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

For those not trusting Avernatti and while I agree with trust but verify I have one simple question: when he makes a claim like this please refer me to when he was wrong.

He has a client and that client will show up with some kind of story and probably supporting testimony from others.

Now if any senators care is another story.
Scoop. Makeup and hair are fabulous. - Qantaga

Xbox Gamertag: Scoop20906
Steam: Scoop20906
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Kurth wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:45 am
pr0ner wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:35 am I personally don't want to watch either one of them (that Maddow Trump tax release show can take a flying leap into the trash pits of TV hell, for instance), but that doesn't stop millions of other people from doing the same, unfortunately.
+1

Also, I wonder if Vegas is laying odds on Avenatti getting disbarred at some point. That guy is a self-serving hustler is ever I saw one. He keeps stepping right up to the line. At some point, he’s going to cross it, and I think there will be hell to pay if/when he does.

So, yeah, count me in as a skeptic/cynic as far as Avenatti’s super secret accuser with a security clearance.
Avenatti is the equivalent of an ambulance chasing huckster whose 15 minutes are about to be over.
Hodor.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Archinerd wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:45 am
C-
Too focused on one specific forum member.
Try a broader approach next time.
Also, “you’re” not “your.” As I tell my kids, it doesn’t matter how brilliant your content is if your readers are distracted by silly grammar and spelling mistakes. Let’s clean that up!
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳