Pointless Debate Speculation: Bush had Wi-Fi?

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

GargoyleBoy

Pointless Debate Speculation: Bush had Wi-Fi?

Post by GargoyleBoy »

This is an article that speculates that a certain square protusion on Bush's back was a Wi-Fi reciever, and that Bush was perhaps recieving coaching from Karl Rove (or someone) during the previous debates.

Personally, In light of all the nonsensical slander that has come out on both sides this election, I hold this highly suspicious, but it's fairly amusing at the same time. It's about the same level of discourse as Pen-Gate was, and slightly less funny than the assertion that Kerry joined the Navy to escape the draft. Discuss.
Bob

Post by Bob »

I have no problem with the candidates recieving coaching. It's the administration that runs the government after all, not the president alone. So let the administration debate, no?
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I would think that the distraction of having a voice whispering in your ear during a debate would be a disadvantage, especially if you're not particularly quick on your feet to begin with.
GargoyleBoy

Post by GargoyleBoy »

Bob wrote:I have no problem with the candidates recieving coaching. It's the administration that runs the government after all, not the president alone. So let the administration debate, no?
The problem is, if they're not allowed to bring notes, how does getting a coach to whisper in your ear (probably reading from the notes you're not allowed to bring) affect the rules of the debate?

DISCLAIMER: Not that I believe this is what happened. I'm just sayin'. :)
Poleaxe

Post by Poleaxe »

Kerry joined the navy after being denied a deferrment. Make of that what you will.
Mr. Fed

Post by Mr. Fed »

The leader of the free world, the head of the most technologically advanced society in the history of mankind, commander of vast arrays of shadowy government agencies with bags of high-tech tricks, son of the former head of the CIA, and he cheats by getting hooked up with a clearly-visible bulky rig using 1970s technology that you could get in the discount bin at Radio Shack?

I call tinfoil.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I find it highly amusing that one of the pieces of evidence for Bush using the wireless transmitter is that he did "so well" in the first debate. Are you (*(&)(*&()*& kidding me? Even hardcore partisans like myself and msduncan thought Bush did a terrible job in the first debate.

The photographic "evidence" is also highly amusing. If that's a wireless receiver, than every suit hanging up in my closet has one. :D
GargoyleBoy

Post by GargoyleBoy »

Mr. Fed wrote:The leader of the free world, the head of the most technologically advanced society in the history of mankind, commander of vast arrays of shadowy government agencies with bags of high-tech tricks, son of the former head of the CIA, and he cheats by getting hooked up with a clearly-visible bulky rig using 1970s technology that you could get in the discount bin at Radio Shack?

I call tinfoil.
:D
Koz

Post by Koz »

YellowKing wrote:The photographic "evidence" is also highly amusing. If that's a wireless receiver, than every suit hanging up in my closet has one. :D
Perfect, he doesn't suspect a thing.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Hey man, I saw that episode of "24" where Prezodent Palmer was debating the challenger and had an earpiece for national security reasons! It must be true!
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Mr. Sparkle

Post by Mr. Sparkle »

Now a technical expert who designs and makes such devices for the U.S. military and private industry tells Salon that he believes the bulge is indeed a transceiver designed to receive electronic signals and transmit them to a hidden earpiece lodged in Bush's ear canal.

"There's no question about it. It's a pretty obvious one -- larger than most because it probably has descrambling capability," said Alex Darbut, technical and business development vice president for Resistance Technology in Arden Hills, Minn. Darbut examined photographs of the president's back taken from the Fox News video feed at the first presidential debate in Coral Gables, Fla., as well as 2002 photos of the president driving and working in a T-shirt on his Crawford ranch, which were posted on the White House Web site.

Darbut speculates that the device the president wears is provided by the Secret Service, noting, "They're not going to have him driving around the countryside on his ranch without being in instant contact with him."
Despite the official denials, the bulge brouhaha is still ballooning. On Tuesday, the New York Daily News produced a master tailor named Frank Shattuck who, after viewing photos from both debates, confirmed, "There's definitely something there, in between the shoulder blades. I can't say what it is, but it's not hidden very well. They should have come to me. I can hide a pistol under the breast."

This is all from a Salon (subscription or watch a short advert)

I'm not sure I really care either way... and certainly I see the value of keeping the PotUS in quick and discreet contact with the Secret Service or his advisors (in fact, if he's not doing that, he probably should be)... and it's really no different than a teleprompter in public addresses and such.

Breaking the debate rules would be sketchy and a balck-eye, of course, but nobody who will believe it was going to vote for him anyway.

It sure is a fun conspiracy theory though!
Biyobi

Post by Biyobi »

That's the remote control receiver box for Cheney.
Black Lives Matter
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

This would certainly explain the "five second stare" in that debate...

(damn - we need a tin-foil hat smilie. dbt, where are you?)
Grievous Angel

Post by Grievous Angel »

So there was someone, probably someone of great intelligence and quick wit, in the back whispering in Bush's ear "Just keep saying over and over again that this is hard work, and you can't lose." Gotcha.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

So where's the earpiece?

Looking at the two pictures above, it's clear Bush has bony shoulder blades, and that his suit was stretched tightly over his back as he extended his arm.

And like others said, if he was getting advice during the debate, then it was pretty lousy :)

Grifman
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Here's a better pic:

Note to the literal - I in no way believe Bush was wired in the first debate - but it's still fun to discuss, innit?
Snow

Post by Snow »

Bah, obviously a bullet proof vest :D

Bush was receiving coaching from a direct neural link. Haven't you noticed the slight bulge in his scalp? The evil overlord Chaney has the same link and can transmit thoughts directly. So why the 5 second pauses? Well, that's easily explained also. The tech still relies upon Bluetooth, so there's a slight pause while Bush's brain waits for the data transmission.