Go Redskins! Interesting Sports/Politics Correlation

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

YellowKing

Go Redskins! Interesting Sports/Politics Correlation

Post by YellowKing »

It turns out the final home game for the Washington Redskins before an election has correctly "predicted" the outcome of the Presidential election since 1936.

I ran across the article on Snopes.com:

http://www.snopes.com/sports/football/election.asp

If the Redskins win, the incumbent (or his party) stays in power. If they lose, the challenger wins the office.

So on Halloween, you'll be rooting for the Redskins if you're a Bush fan, and for Green Bay if you're a Kerry fan. :D
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

That doesn't bode well for Kerry - Green Bay sucks this year. :( Of course, so do the Redskins. :mrgreen:
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Amazing, even if coincidental.
Captain Caveman

Post by Captain Caveman »

If the game ends in a tie, I'm moving to Canada.
Charlatan

Post by Charlatan »

Green Bay might suck but the Skins have managed to pull out TEH SUCK when needed this year. Given Brunell's ineptitude so far, I would tell GW to start packing!
When all is said and done, there's more said than done.
Bad Demographic

Post by Bad Demographic »

In my household, regardless of your politics, you root for Greenbay. That's what comes of marrying a cheesehead. :lol:
Coskesh

Post by Coskesh »

Argh, what a dilemma! As much as I dislike Bush and want to see him get fired, GO SKINS! er.. damn.

Don't worry Kerry supporters, I'll lock the Skins like I've done every week. Guaranteed loss.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Coskesh wrote:Argh, what a dilemma! As much as I dislike Bush and want to see him get fired, GO SKINS! er.. damn.

Don't worry Kerry supporters, I'll lock the Skins like I've done every week. Guaranteed loss.
You're still doing that?!? :shock:
Freezer-TPF-

Post by Freezer-TPF- »

Well, I certainly would not want my job to hinge on a Redskins victory. I also like Green Bay but am still not excited about voting for any of the candidates.

Solution: I am writing in Brett Favre for president, though I don't think he is old enough to qualify.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Freezer-TPF- wrote:Well, I certainly would not want my job to hinge on a Redskins victory. I also like Green Bay but am still not excited about voting for any of the candidates.

Solution: I am writing in Brett Favre for president, though I don't think he is old enough to qualify.
He's there now!

Favre, who turned 35 last week and is playing in his 14th NFL season
Coskesh

Post by Coskesh »

siljanus wrote:
Coskesh wrote:Argh, what a dilemma! As much as I dislike Bush and want to see him get fired, GO SKINS! er.. damn.

You're still doing that?!? :shock:
LOL. Well, this week I initially just picked them to win, but I updated my picks with a LOCK. :oops: All things considered, if there is a game they should win, that game should be against the Bears.
Discalced

Post by Discalced »

How many seasons do you guys think it'll take Gibbs to turn things around? I am patient, but it has been a while.
khomotso

Post by khomotso »

If the game ends in a tie, I'm moving to Canada.
Wasn't the last one decided by a controversial call from the referee?
Freezer-TPF-

Post by Freezer-TPF- »

Exodor wrote:
Freezer-TPF- wrote:Well, I certainly would not want my job to hinge on a Redskins victory. I also like Green Bay but am still not excited about voting for any of the candidates.

He's there now!

Favre, who turned 35 last week and is playing in his 14th NFL season
Sweet. Now if Emmitt Smith is 35, that completes my ticket/backfield.

/me checks.

Born 5/15/1969. Done and done!
Charlatan

Post by Charlatan »

Discalced wrote:How many seasons do you guys think it'll take Gibbs to turn things around? I am patient, but it has been a while.
uh it's been 5 games for Gibbs... that's a while???

You may or may not recall that his first stint with the Skins they went 0-5 before the offense "got it" and they started clicking. I'm not saying that's gonna happen here, but I think he needs a bit of time to get the players he wants in and gets them working the way he wants.

I'm inclined to cut him a bit of slack, it's not like he's an unproven quantity or anything.
When all is said and done, there's more said than done.