candidates bugging me on my phone...

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Politicos calling you for your vote. Yea or Nay?

Tis good.
14%
Its annoying and/or wrong.
71%
I'm a member of the Apathetic Party.
14%

Total votes: 7

Ranulf

candidates bugging me on my phone...

Post by Ranulf »

Is it me or does it seem much more prevalent this year? I have thought that it might be because I registered as an independent this last year but I'm not sure.

What really bugs me about these solicitations for my vote is two fold. One, they call without a proper caller ID, aka "blocked call" or "unknown caller". I'm sure they'd say its a phone company issue but come on. How hard is it to set it up to identify yourself with the phone co.? Second, is the recorded call. I've had a couple from Kerry's campaign here in Oregon, one of the Senator himself. As well as a bunch from various local candidates and from groups for certain initiatives on the ballot. I find this form of campaigning highly annoying. They are taking up my time and are unsolicited. I'm not against mailers, I can toss those out easily or read them (the RNC sent me a "gold club" member card in the mail). I also have no problem with folks coming to my door, they can read a "no-solicitors" sign or knock anyway and I can talk with someone face to face.

It was rather amusing that within an hour of each other each of my state reps called me today. Or rather, the Dem woman had a recorded message for me of her positions and the repub had a young gal from his campaign call me and hastily (she was nervous and new at her speech :) ) run down her candidate's issues. At least she held on to the line to ask if I had any questions about the repub. I thought it was cheeky though that she called me by my first name. We hadn't even been properly introduced. :wink:
ChrisGrenard

Post by ChrisGrenard »

I vote that it is ok. However, I have never been called by these people, so here are the rules I would like to see used if I were to be called:

1) I want a real person, not a recording. And they should simply run through the issues that they support.

2) You can't call a person more than once.

The end. Seems like a good rule list to me. But then, they are politicians, so I don't expect that they'd follow such simple and nice rules ;)
I'm special!
Al

Re: candidates bugging me on my phone...

Post by Al »

Ranulf wrote:Is it me or does it seem much more prevalent this year?
It might be because of that new do not call list, which political organizations can ignore.
One, they call without a proper caller ID, aka "blocked call" or "unknown caller". I'm sure they'd say its a phone company issue but come on.
They'd be lying too. It just means that their call center has probably leased an ISDN line which allows them to control what caller ID data is sent out. Not sending out caller ID data is an automatic "talk to our voice mail" in our household.
Faldarian

Post by Faldarian »

Being (un)lucky enough to live in a swing state this year, I get 4-5 calls a week (2-3 for me and 1-2 for my wife).

I find them less annoying than regular telemarketing calls, I guess. The people generally aren't rude or anything.