Those Lightbulbs again

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

brettmcd wrote:
Exodor wrote:
brettmcd wrote:It doesnt matter what is said, my view is dismissed anyway because I consistently ignore data that refutes my opinion and never back up anything I say with anything other than shrill whining and temper tantrums.
Fixed.
And the trolling personal attacks keep on coming.
Have you had a chance to pull those mercury risk links yet? Several of us are honestly interested, and providing this evidence would be a step toward showing others that Exodor's characterization above may be flawed.
Poleaxe

Post by Poleaxe »

Or respond to my post showing how I could save $200 per year?
Owner: 4OTP Pittsburgh Pirates
brettmcd

Post by brettmcd »

No and No, any substantive response will just give the trolls more opportunity to come in for their own personal enjoyment and amusement.
There is no problem so large that it cannot be solved by a liberal dosage of explosives.
Hiccup

Post by Hiccup »

brettmcd wrote:No and No, any substantive response will just give the trolls more opportunity to come in for their own personal enjoyment and amusement.
Hiccup wrote:And don't even come back saying "Why should I post anything when no one will care what I say as usual."
Not verbatum, but do you keep hiding behind this excuse for your personal enjoyment and amusement?

I, and a lot of others, have been curious about the data behind your stance for a while. Not giving said data because of what 1 or 2 people might post in response kind of backs up the thought that there is no such data, and you can't admit your wrong.

The hipocriy of you reasoning is why I don't try to flat out challenge your math because you would just call it a "silly" question and I must think your "stupid". That is not the case, you have a great deal of intellegence to bait people so successfully to ignoring the issue at hand.
"Adam was but human - this explains it all. He did not want the apple for the apple's sake, he wanted it only because it was forbidden. The mistake was in not forbidding the serpent; then he would have eaten the serpent."
-- Mark Twain .

XBL: Hiccup1
Enough

Post by Enough »

brettmcd wrote:No and No, any substantive response will just give the trolls more opportunity to come in for their own personal enjoyment and amusement.
So you freely admit you don't make substantive responses in RP? Can I ask why you participate if that's the case? This statement makes me think it's entirely to get other people's dander up for your jollies. Because if you are trying to honestly keep the trolls from dinging at you then this post was worse than posting actual citations for your claims by great orders of magnitude. This is exactly the sort of post people will hone in on and you know it my friend. You're too smart to not know that.

99% of us disagree with each other on this board. The key for this forum to work is that none of us take it so personally as to be jarred from our happy place just because Poleaxe or Fed disagrees with a heartfelt position. In order for a good exchange of ideas to continue it is imperative that we all maintain some decorum and respect for each other. That means providing a citation when requested, and having the personal fortitude to ignore any trolling and keep our heads above board.

In Poleaxe's case the two of us rarely are on the same page politically but if he was in town and needed a place to crash it would be a given he could at my place and vice-versa. I think most of us want the same with you Brett. You don't really give anyone the chance to go there though when you paint 99% of the forum as out to get you. Ever hear of self-fulfilling prophecy?

When I or most anyone else very strongly challenges an argument of yours please don't see it as trolling because it is not. We debate contentious issues here in RP, it's what we do. If I loudly call for evidence for a point you've made it is because I honestly and genuinely want it for review. I'm not here to waste my time or yours. I'm here in RP because I enjoy a good conversation and I'm not afraid of contentious topics. Yet it seems to me anytime you are challenged on a point you must turn it personal.

Just to close, I learn a great deal in RP and even on occasion find my views shifting in response to convos and debates had here. I can point to years of Nade/Edan and others helping me to balance my views on the Middle East as an example. I am truly sorry you seem to suddenly have a problem with nearly all of us here in RP and will miss out on that sort of growing. But calling Fed, Hiccup, Preacher or me trolls is just plain crazy talk. We are good people with good families and productive lives. Or mostly productive, when we're not too sucked into an RP debate that is LOL.
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
Malachite

Post by Malachite »

Or, more accurately, you come here for your own personal enjoyment and amusement, and giving any substantive response would interfere with your trolling.
brettmcd

Post by brettmcd »

Malachite wrote:
Or, more accurately, you come here for your own personal enjoyment and amusement, and giving any substantive response would interfere with your trolling.
Yep, I guess I must be the one who is calling people mentally retarded, that others are imaginary people, that others are sad human beings, that everything they say is a whining temper tantrum, follow people to other forums to be trolls and other such things.

You really need to understand what trolling is, as it sure as hell is NOT what I am doing.
There is no problem so large that it cannot be solved by a liberal dosage of explosives.
brettmcd

Post by brettmcd »

Enough wrote:
So you freely admit you don't make substantive responses in RP?
No I admit no such thing.
naednek

Post by naednek »

Enough wrote:
So you freely admit you don't make substantive responses in RP? Can I ask why you participate if that's the case? This statement makes me think it's entirely to get other people's dander up for your jollies. Because if you are trying to honestly keep the trolls from dinging at you then this post was worse than posting actual citations for your claims by great orders of magnitude. This is exactly the sort of post people will hone in on and you know it my friend. You're too smart to not know that.

99% of us disagree with each other on this board. The key for this forum to work is that none of us take it so personally as to be jarred from our happy place just because Poleaxe or Fed disagrees with a heartfelt position. In order for a good exchange of ideas to continue it is imperative that we all maintain some decorum and respect for each other. That means providing a citation when requested, and having the personal fortitude to ignore any trolling and keep our heads above board.

In Poleaxe's case the two of us rarely are on the same page politically but if he was in town and needed a place to crash it would be a given he could at my place and vice-versa. I think most of us want the same with you Brett. You don't really give anyone the chance to go there though when you paint 99% of the forum as out to get you. Ever hear of self-fulfilling prophecy?

When I or most anyone else very strongly challenges an argument of yours please don't see it as trolling because it is not. We debate contentious issues here in RP, it's what we do. If I loudly call for evidence for a point you've made it is because I honestly and genuinely want it for review. I'm not here to waste my time or yours. I'm here in RP because I enjoy a good conversation and I'm not afraid of contentious topics. Yet it seems to me anytime you are challenged on a point you must turn it personal.

Just to close, I learn a great deal in RP and even on occasion find my views shifting in response to convos and debates had here. I can point to years of Nade/Edan and others helping me to balance my views on the Middle East as an example. I am truly sorry you seem to suddenly have a problem with nearly all of us here in RP and will miss out on that sort of growing. But calling Fed, Hiccup, Preacher or me trolls is just plain crazy talk. We are good people with good families and productive lives. Or mostly productive, when we're not too sucked into an RP debate that is LOL.
Well, at least you gave it your all. I had a feeling it wouldn't matter, but it was well written, just too bad people can't take constructive advice.
Hiccup

Post by Hiccup »

Back on topic, I'm mentally deleting the last 2 pages.

So, what were we talking about?
"Adam was but human - this explains it all. He did not want the apple for the apple's sake, he wanted it only because it was forbidden. The mistake was in not forbidding the serpent; then he would have eaten the serpent."
-- Mark Twain .

brettmcd

Post by brettmcd »

Hiccup wrote:Back on topic, I'm mentally deleting the last 2 pages.

The myth that switching a few lightbulbs in a house will magically cut 200+ dollars a year off of an electric bill.
farley2k

Post by farley2k »

The secret plan to hide the nations mercury supply in CF lightbulbs. Rather ingeniously I think.

Or more seriously - the government making us use CF light bulbs.
Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative the same night

- Dave Barry
brettmcd

Post by brettmcd »

naednek wrote:
Enough wrote:

Well, at least you gave it your all. I had a feeling it wouldn't matter, but it was well written, just too bad people can't take constructive advice.
Would be nice if it was either constructive, or actual advice, but as usual here peoples so called advice lumps all the blame for everything on one side, while ignoring everything else.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Thread successfully derailed! Chalk another one up!
brettmcd

Post by brettmcd »

malchior wrote:Thread successfully derailed! Chalk another one up!
Yes the trolls did a wonderful job with that, as they usually do.
Hiccup

Post by Hiccup »

brettmcd wrote:
malchior wrote:Thread successfully derailed! Chalk another one up!
Yes the trolls did a wonderful job with that, as they usually do.
Answer just 1 question please.

Why do you keep harping on the few lightbulbs = $200 savings when I've restated my original quote 3 or 4 times now?
-- Mark Twain .

Poleaxe

Post by Poleaxe »

brettmcd wrote:

The myth that switching a few lightbulbs in a house will magically cut 200+ dollars a year off of an electric bill.
I just showed how it could be done. You've ignored it.

One of three possibilities:

1) You're just a scumbag troll.

2) You're a freaking moron.

3) You have a mental problem.

For the record you've lied here numerous times. You've lied about being home owner. You're lying now when you say you manage a bank. You are not worth my time or anyone elses time.
Owner: 4OTP Pittsburgh Pirates
brettmcd

Post by brettmcd »

Poleaxe wrote:
brettmcd wrote:

I just showed how it could be done. You've ignored it.

One of three possibilities:

1) You're just a scumbag troll.

2) You're a freaking moron.

3) You have a mental problem.

For the record you've lied here numerous times. You've lied about being home owner. You're lying now when you say you manage a bank. You are not worth my time or anyone elses time.
I owned a home last year that ive lost as result of an ongoing divorce, I currently live in an apartment, no lies there. I manage a bank branch, again no lie there. Where are these 'numerous' lies? Ignoring the rest of your silly insults here at least answer that, or are you just trolling here tossing out a bunch of crap?

If you want to make accusations like this, either back them up or dont make them at all.
ChrisGrenard

Post by ChrisGrenard »

That leaves the mental problem one still wide open.

RETREAT MEN, SHE'S GONNA BLOW!
I'm special!
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Due to not feeling well i'm keeping this short. If this thread doesnt get back on track it will be locked. everyone take a breath and back off. thanks
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
telcta

Post by telcta »

Here's an interesting AP article out today regarding LEDs:

LEDs Emerge to Fight Fluorescents

Some of those LED lights look really cool:
This $50 LED floodlight from Lighting Science Group Corp. is shown Thursday, May 10, 2007 in New York. The bulb fits into a standard socket and uses 5.8 watts to produce a cold light with a total output similar to that of a 25 watt incandescent bulb.
brettmcd

Post by brettmcd »

telcta wrote:Here's an interesting AP article out today regarding LEDs:

This $50 LED floodlight from Lighting Science Group Corp. is shown Thursday, May 10, 2007 in New York. The bulb fits into a standard socket and uses 5.8 watts to produce a cold light with a total output similar to that of a 25 watt incandescent bulb.
Ok that is ugly, it might work in a lamp where one doesnt see the bulb, but anything decrative would look like crap.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Looks like something that would be used in a Steampunk setting. What a strange but cool looking bulb.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Bad Demographic

Post by Bad Demographic »

brettmcd wrote:

Ok that is ugly, it might work in a lamp where one doesnt see the bulb, but anything decrative would look like crap.
It's a floodlight.

Besides which, in my house most of our lightbulbs are covered by some kind of lamp cover thing - for instance, the ceiling fixtures. I stress the "my house" so nobody here misinterprets my statement as being about the lightbulbs in other people's houses.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

Black Lives Matter
brettmcd

Post by brettmcd »

Bad Demographic wrote:
brettmcd wrote:

It's a floodlight.

Besides which, in my house most of our lightbulbs are covered by some kind of lamp cover thing - for instance, the ceiling fixtures. I stress the "my house" so nobody here misinterprets my statement as being about the lightbulbs in other people's houses.
I understand, the major type of lighting that most houses have that would be a problem is a ceiling fan, as the vast majority of the ones ive seen have open fixtures.

Also doesnt the equivalent of 25w of light seem awfully small for a floodlight?
Bad Demographic

brettmcd wrote:I understand, the major type of lighting that most houses have that would be a problem is a ceiling fan, as the vast majority of the ones ive seen have open fixtures.

Also doesnt the equivalent of 25w of light seem awfully small for a floodlight?
perhaps an interior floodlight - like the recessed kind in some kitchens? (they seem to be becoming popular design elements again)
Besides, re the looks, that's just one design. They don't all look like that. From the article though, it sounds like they're a much better solution for places where the lights stay on all the time. A lot of buildings keep some lights on all the time, so those lights would be a great solution there.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

brettmcd wrote:Also doesnt the equivalent of 25w of light seem awfully small for a floodlight?
I wondered that, too. Seems like more of a 'drizzle' light.
Bad Demographic

Zaxxon wrote:
brettmcd wrote:Also doesnt the equivalent of 25w of light seem awfully small for a floodlight?
:lol:

Black Lives Matter
ChrisGwinn

Post by ChrisGwinn »

Zaxxon wrote:
Probably used in one of those multiple-can track lighting fixtures.

Further updates on my attempts to convert the house to CFL:

Target has CFLs on sale. Or they did yesterday.

Finding 3-way CFLs that fit in a shaded lamp is an enormous pain in the ass. I think I'm just going to buy new lamps.

I've still seen no solution to my many-bulbed decorative ceiling fixture problem that seems cost-effective. The search continues...

Costco sells CFLs of a brand that I'm not otherwise familiar with. The decorative globes are great, and the regular ones are pretty good, but won't fit in some of my tighter light fixtures. The ones they sell that are shaped like regular bulbs have an unacceptable time-to-full light.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

I just happened to wander in here. It's funny, we just got two cases of CF's from our church. I have like 30 CF bulbs sitting in my kitchen now. And that's after replacing all of the bulbs we can. I don't think I'll need to buy new bulbs for the rest of my life.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Malificent

Post by Malificent »

I just priced out buying a full complement of CFL bulbs at Sam's Club to replace all the ones in my house. Includes 6 bulbs designed for ceiling fans, 3 bug light ones for the outdoor fixtures, and 12 for the bathroom vanity lights, in addition to the 16 other 60W equivalent bulbs in various locations. That priced out to $122 (including $11 shipping). My total was 44 bulbs of a wide variety (and I would have a few extra) coming to a grand total of $2.77 per bulb. If I was just getting 60W soft bulbs, they come in packs of 10 for $1.40 a piece. CFL calculator tells me that I'll save $16.53/mo ($198/year) and will have paid off the initial costs of the bulbs in 7.5 months.

Not too shabby, and I get to be earth friendly to boot. Woot!

Oh, and my average monthly power bill these days is somewhere around $90, since our heat pump is broken - no A/C equals cheaper power bill.
Hiccup

Post by Hiccup »

-- Mark Twain .

Tareeq

Post by Tareeq »

Over here.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I've already started stocking up on incandescent bulbs for specialty uses; certain lamps really need the decorative filament bulbs. For general lighting, I've already replaced most of our old bulbs with those corkscrew thingies. I especially like them for hard-to-reach fixtures. The fluorescent bulb over our washing machine has been lit almost continuously for well over five years now -- they don't even make that style anymore.

Only the one at the base of the cellar stairs isn't working out. I keep whacking my head on that one. I've broken three that way already. Maybe I need to put a cage around it or something.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Ironrod wrote: The fluorescent bulb over our washing machine has been lit almost continuously for well over five years now...
That's nothing.

We're 100% CFL now. Even the roof floods are CFLs. They suck though. I'm considering LEDs for up there.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

I didn't read the article because I'm fundamentally lazy but are there CFLs for use in cold-weather?

My sister-in-law is using two outdoor CFLs by her front door and they flicker constantly. She's been told that's a problem with using CFLs outdoors, even ones that are designed for that use.

:?:
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Exodor wrote:I didn't read the article because I'm fundamentally lazy but are there CFLs for use in cold-weather?

My sister-in-law is using two outdoor CFLs by her front door and they flicker constantly. She's been told that's a problem with using CFLs outdoors, even ones that are designed for that use.

:?:
In my experience they are much slower to come up to full brightness in cold conditions. I haven't noticed flicker once they eventually do though.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Eightball

Post by Eightball »

Tareeq wrote:Image

:lol:
Stupid & lazy
The Preacher
Forum Moderator

Re: Those Lightbulbs again

Post by The Preacher »

Thank you, Spacelord, for linking to this thread! :) I've been considering bumping this thread and you've given me the reason to.

Has anyone found CFL floodlights that can be used on a dimmer? I want to put them in my basement where we have recessed lighting, but it's also our entertainment space so I'd like to be able to turn them down.

I'm slowly making my way to a CFL house but this is a major impediment.
You do not take from this universe. It grants you what it will.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Re: Those Lightbulbs again

Post by Zaxxon »

I'm afraid I'm no help on your question, Preach, but I wanted to update my status after several months of CFLs.

We've got about 3/4 of the lights in our place switched over to CFLs. The exceptions being hard-to-reach lights. I've also tweaked our hvac timer to run a bit less, and removed a desktop PC that formerly was running 24x7 by virtualizing it. The net effect is that our power bill has dropped substantially. None of our CFLs has bit the dust yet.