Those Lightbulbs again

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Kraken

Re: Those Lightbulbs again

Post by Kraken »

This thread reminds me that Lowes has a 6-pack of 60W equivalent LEDs on sale for $5 this week. I ought to bestir myself to make the trip.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Might explain why I just bought (3) GE 100w CF for $3. Maybe I should start stocking them.
Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

Was at Home Depot this weekend and got a 100W equivalent (1600 lumens) LED bulb for $5.99. I'd gotten so used to 800 lumens that these are incredibly bright - and only 13W. Very nice.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

#FirstWorldProblems: When you go buy some LED bulbs to replace some crappy old burnt out yellow ones and the color and brightness is so different that your wife starts bitching at you.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I like the higher, whiter/bluer color temps. The wife and MIL occasionally push back. On the bedside lamps, I gave ground due to aesthetics, and not needing that harsh a light when the dogs make a mess at 3 am.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

stessier wrote:Was at Home Depot this weekend and got a 100W equivalent (1600 lumens) LED bulb for $5.99. I'd gotten so used to 800 lumens that these are incredibly bright - and only 13W. Very nice.
Now that I've finally gotten my mother to stop storing her cereal boxes in the oven, I might have to pick up a few for her. Thanks! Nice deal they have on a Ryobi 18v complete set of tools too! Almost as cheap as buying some new batteries for my Ridgid, which by the way were supposedly free for a lifetime. haha yeah right.
Stop funding for NPR
Combustible Lemur

Post by Combustible Lemur »

NickAragua wrote:#FirstWorldProblems: When you go buy some LED bulbs to replace some crappy old burnt out yellow ones and the color and brightness is so different that your wife starts bitching at you.
The are now economically sound LED lamps that are color matched to the old "soft white" bulbs.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Is Scott home? thump thump thump Crash ......No.
Enough

Post by Enough »

Isgrimnur wrote:I like the higher, whiter/bluer color temps. The wife and MIL occasionally push back. On the bedside lamps, I gave ground due to aesthetics, and not needing that harsh a light when the dogs make a mess at 3 am.
There's a bulb that will make all of you happy. We picked ours up at Home Depot, they change color temp each time you flick the on switch from daylight (cool, bright light like you dig), soft white (classic incan color balance), to warm white (a nice moody light). We put these in our bedroom ceiling fixtures and love them!
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Intriguing.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Nine bucks for a lightbulb! I remember when utility companies used to give them away. Back when America was great.
stessier

Post by stessier »

I know that is a joke, but this was a good article DubiousQuality linked to in the Friday roundup - Why the falling cost of light matters.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Lowe's has on clearance a two pack of 9W, 60W equivalent LEDs for $1.19 right now.
Stop funding for NPR
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Never knew that a lightbulb could interfere with the garage door opener http://www.geniecompany.com/garage-door ... lightbulbs
Stop funding for NPR
Enough

Post by Enough »

My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Enough wrote:Welp, in a surprise to nobody:

Trump Administration Dims Rule On Energy Efficient Lightbulbs
Well they have to find a way to sell the necessity of keeping coal fired plants open. What's good for coal is good for America!
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Lowe's reduced the price to $12 on some LED 4ft fluorescent replacement bulb that let you modify the lighting fixture so no more need for ballast. They're pretty nice and bright and only twice the price of a regular fluorescent tube so no more fluorescent bulbs. :idea: I've never liked fluorescent lights, these are much better and less than half the wattage.
Stop funding for NPR
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Don't count incandescents out yet:

https://www.npr.org/2019/09/04/75762382 ... cpv702KYP0
Last March, NPR's Jeff Brady reported, "Thanks to a 2007 law signed by President George W. Bush, shelves these days are largely stocked with LED bulbs that look more like the traditional pear-shape incandescent version but use just one-fifth the energy. A second wave of lightbulb changes was set to happen. But now the Trump administration wants to undo an Obama-era regulation designed to make a wide array of specialty lightbulbs more energy-efficient."
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I look forward to him personally signing the patent application for a coal-fired light bulb.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Haven't most bulb manufacturers retooled into making LED's? And I think a lot of consumers will reject non-LED bulbs.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Alefroth wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:54 pm Don't count incandescents out yet:

Last March, NPR's Jeff Brady reported, "Thanks to a 2007 law signed by President George W. Bush, shelves these days are largely stocked with LED bulbs that look more like the traditional pear-shape incandescent version but use just one-fifth the energy. A second wave of lightbulb changes was set to happen. But now the Trump administration wants to undo an Obama-era regulation designed to make a wide array of specialty lightbulbs more energy-efficient."
I think this is going to be like the auto emissions thing. Companies are going to realize that the Trump roll backs are temporary and going to go ahead and move forward. This was signed under Bush and they know that Trump's regressive actions won't last long term. I hope I get to see a Democrat in the office, revoking all of Trump's various executive actions on the first day of office.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Grifman wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:44 pm
Alefroth wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:54 pm Don't count incandescents out yet:

I think this is going to be like the auto emissions thing. Companies are going to realize that the Trump roll backs are temporary and going to go ahead and move forward. This was signed under Bush and they know that Trump's regressive actions won't last long term. I hope I get to see a Democrat in the office, revoking all of Trump's various executive actions on the first day of office.
Yep, totally agree. He can give the appearance of rolling back regulations without it actually having any material effect.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

This is something I like though. If people want to use them let them. I need them. I have a well pump and the best way to heat the area around it is a light bulb. Its a small enclosed area so it works very well and cheaply. Theres a heater there for the really cold nights but a light bulb works great otherwise. I bought a case of them on Amazon years ago and someone else gave me a big bag of them. Still have plenty. But it sucks in stores like Walmart where we could buy a 4 pack for .88 cents that all I see now are LED bulbs at $8 or more each. Theres not even any CFLs that I love and still use in the house now. The CFLs I put in in around 2008 are still working and cost pennies. The bill dropped like $80 back then. Maybe $60 cant remember now. But CFL and LED provide no heat. Yes no energy loss hardly but I need the heat in the well pump space.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Daehawk wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:24 pm This is something I like though. If people want to use them let them. I need them. I have a well pump and the best way to heat the area around it is a light bulb. Its a small enclosed area so it works very well and cheaply. Theres a heater there for the really cold nights but a light bulb works great otherwise. I bought a case of them on Amazon years ago and someone else gave me a big bag of them. Still have plenty. But it sucks in stores like Walmart where we could buy a 4 pack for .88 cents that all I see now are LED bulbs at $8 or more each. Theres not even any CFLs that I love and still use in the house now. The CFLs I put in in around 2008 are still working and cost pennies. The bill dropped like $80 back then. Maybe $60 cant remember now. But CFL and LED provide no heat. Yes no energy loss hardly but I need the heat in the well pump space.
Subsidizing Buggy Whip manufacturers is not a good practice, even if you like your buggy whip.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I'm going to suggest that a light bulb is maybe not the best way to heat the area in question. Might be easiest. For a while, it might have even been the cheapest. But the best? No. I don't think that's true.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:27 pm I'm going to suggest that a light bulb is maybe not the best way to heat the area in question. Might be easiest. For a while, it might have even been the cheapest. But the best? No. I don't think that's true.
I used to leave the decorative lights burning on the Christmas Ficus on a really cold night. I guess I could have left sprinklers running all night like the orange groves do? :think:

Now that I don't have the ficus i'm all for LEDs in Florida. These $12 4ft replacements from Home Depot have been great so far.

Way back when I was in Virginia Beach we kept things cold in the winter, I remember using my 1000W halogen floor lamp for light and heat in a two fer. The only way I could have light that bright right now would be if I'd mount some of these 4ft LEDs inside but they wouldn't exactly be attractive.
Stop funding for NPR
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Trump is coming for your light bulbs because democracy dies in darkness.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Kraken wrote:Trump is coming for your light bulbs because democracy dies in darkness.
Bravo.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

How is my daughter going to bake me treats in her Easy Bake Oven with LED lighting. Have you guys even thought about Easy Bake Ovens???
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

ImLawBoy wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:31 am How is my daughter going to bake me treats in her Easy Bake Oven with LED lighting. Have you guys even thought about Easy Bake Ovens???
Snark aside. :P

Wiki
current versions use a true heating element
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

In this day and age of kids in bubble wrap and it being everyone else's fault Im surprised those are still around and the company has not been sued out of existence.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:37 am
ImLawBoy wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:31 am How is my daughter going to bake me treats in her Easy Bake Oven with LED lighting. Have you guys even thought about Easy Bake Ovens???
Snark aside. :P

Wiki
current versions use a true heating element
Interesting, but my daughter's oven, which we got last Christmas, uses an old school light bulb. Fortunately my parents had some lying around since it didn't come with one and they're otherwise hard to come by these days.
Daehawk wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:50 am In this day and age of kids in bubble wrap and it being everyone else's fault Im surprised those are still around and the company has not been sued out of existence.
This kind of thing is largely overstated based on a few sensational cases.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Seems she found a way:

Enlarge Image
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Government by vindictive.

Trump: Is there anything else Obama did that we can undo?

Staffer: Um, he got rid of incandescent light bulbs, but that was good for the environment.

Trump: Bring 'em back!
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Where's the Seinfeld music?
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Trump declares war on the color orange. Suicide imminent.
He won. Period.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Have you noticed Republicans are never FOR anything, unless it's guns? Everything else is just ranting about shit they don't like.
Malificent

Post by Malificent »

Because it's easier to destroy than build.