WTG Tommy Franks!

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Yankeeman84

WTG Tommy Franks!

Post by Yankeeman84 »

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u ... ranks_dc_1

Well, I guess this puts an end to the Tora Bora myth.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

"We don't know to this day whether Mr. bin Laden was at Tora Bora in December 2001. Some intelligence sources said he was; others indicated he was in Pakistan at the time; still others suggested he was in Kashmir (news - web sites)," wrote Franks, who led the invasions of Afghanistan and later Iraq as chief of the U.S. military's Central Command.
Hooray for our new, beefed-up intelligence community!

:roll:

Are we actually supposed to now celebrate the fact that we, in fact, have no idea where the #1 Target in the "War on Terror" (tm) is currently hiding?
Edmond

Re: WTG Tommy Franks!

Post by Edmond »

Yankeeman84 wrote:http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u ... ranks_dc_1

Are you suggesting that the US army must know 100% for sure that OBL is in fact in Tora Bora before going in to capture him? Then I guess you are also against the Iraq invasion? I agree, because I think a great nation should never attack another sovereign state without solid evidence that it's being threathened or attacked.
Yankeeman84

Post by Yankeeman84 »

I have said it before and I will say it again, Iraq was not a direct threat to the US. It was a threat to our interests in the M.E. Do I think they were worth invading....probably not, but we did. I support the decision to go but we had no cleanup plan to make the sand smell good.

Yes, I think we need to be 100% sure before we take action against a nation or go after OBL. We do not need to go on instinct. Why waste time on trying to get OBL if we really dont know he is there or not.... and we still don't!

Our intel sucked when it came to OBL and Saddam. Unfortunately, George Tenet took the axe and now we kinda have the FBI and CIA working together instead of being 2 different law firms (fig. speaking).

I just like to see the actual troops in the field run the war instead of Washington trying to run it from behind a desk....remember Vietnam!
malchior

Post by malchior »

Yankeeman84 wrote:I just like to see the actual troops in the field run the war instead of Washington trying to run it from behind a desk....remember Vietnam!
I have to agree. Our commanders hands are tied by Rumfeld et al. He needs to get his nose out of the field commander's business. They are the ones picking up his mess.
Yankeeman84

Post by Yankeeman84 »

Our commanders hands are tied by Rumfeld et al. He needs to get his nose out of the field commander's business. They are the ones picking up his mess.
E X A C T L Y !
Grifman

Re: WTG Tommy Franks!

Post by Grifman »

Edmond wrote:
Yankeeman84 wrote:http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u ... ranks_dc_1

Are you suggesting that the US army must know 100% for sure that OBL is in fact in Tora Bora before going in to capture him? Then I guess you are also against the Iraq invasion? I agree, because I think a great nation should never attack another sovereign state without solid evidence that it's being threathened or attacked.
No, the point is Kerry is not telling the truth when he says we had Bin Laden surrounded in Tora Bora and Bush "let him go" by "outsourcing" the task to Afghan warlords.

Grifman
Unbreakable

Post by Unbreakable »

Yankeeman84 wrote:I have said it before and I will say it again, Iraq was not a direct threat to the US. It was a threat to our interests in the M.E. Do I think they were worth invading....probably not, but we did. I support the decision to go but we had no cleanup plan to make the sand smell good.

Yes, I think we need to be 100% sure before we take action against a nation or go after OBL. We do not need to go on instinct. Why waste time on trying to get OBL if we really dont know he is there or not.... and we still don't!

Our intel sucked when it came to OBL and Saddam. Unfortunately, George Tenet took the axe and now we kinda have the FBI and CIA working together instead of being 2 different law firms (fig. speaking).

I just like to see the actual troops in the field run the war instead of Washington trying to run it from behind a desk....remember Vietnam!
I guess if you think it is a sin for a country to be contrary to American interests, then you support the invasion.

At any rate, Im even MORE against the fact that not only did they do it, they fucked it up. Really big article, and very indepth.

One thing I find highly offensive at this point is that the Bush administration was completely responsible for the bungling of both Afghanistan and Iraq, but he gets to backhandedly blame the Armed Forces for it, rather than actually accepting the blame and admitting they fucked up. Very amazing how much our 'liberal media' allows Bush to get away with.
Yankeeman84

Post by Yankeeman84 »

A president will never admit they fucked up. That is the problem!

Johnson never said he fucked up in Vietnam nor did Truman in Korea.

Presidents have to have a scapegoat. Usually its the military or Congress.

The problem is that Washington took us into 2 full blown out wars and depending on how you look at it...1 turned out decent at best and 1 is absolute chaos. If they would let the freakin Generals run the war and get this settled out so that diplomacy can work, things would be much better. But noooooooooo. Somehow Washington thinks they know more about Iraq or Afganistan than the troops that are there.

No matter what the fuck happens, Iraq is a modern day Vietnam. We kicked the shit out of Saddam but a group of whackos last longer that the actual Iraqi army!