Regime Change in Pakistan

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Pyperkub

Regime Change in Pakistan

Post by Pyperkub »

I personally think this could be a potentially much more dire issue than the conflict in Georgia. Russia at least is a country with concrete goals and a diplomatic history, however turbulent. Pakistan is a Muslim nation with a contingent of islamic militants, and somewhat of a haven for taliban/al qaeda fighters.

Oh, and they have nuclear weapons (and have been accused of exporting that technology to countries such as North Korea).

I believe that this is yet another foreign policy blunder by this administration, though it may only be a consequence of previous failures.

Thoughts on how it will turn out? More serious than the Georgia conflict?
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
msduncan

Re: Regime Change in Pakistan

Post by msduncan »

Pyperkub wrote:I personally think this could be a potentially much more dire issue than the conflict in Georgia. Russia at least is a country with concrete goals and a diplomatic history, however turbulent. Pakistan is a Muslim nation with a contingent of islamic militants, and somewhat of a haven for taliban/al qaeda fighters.

Oh, and they have nuclear weapons (and have been accused of exporting that technology to countries such as North Korea).

I believe that this is yet another foreign policy blunder by this administration, though it may only be a consequence of previous failures.

Thoughts on how it will turn out? More serious than the Georgia conflict?
Hang on a sec....

Six months ago you were saying that the Administration were hypocrites for supporting Musharraf.
Now the administration supports change in Pakistan, and you call it yet another policy blunder.

Did I get that straight?
It's 109 first team All-Americans.
It's a college football record 61 bowl appearances.
It's 34 bowl victories.
It's 24 Southeastern Conference Championships.
It's 15 National Championships.

At some places they play football. At Alabama we live it.
ChrisGwinn

Post by ChrisGwinn »

I don't know. I've been deeply uncomfortable with the situation in Pakistan for a number of years, but I don't have answers.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

msduncan wrote:
Hang on a sec....

Six months ago you were saying that the Administration were hypocrites for supporting Musharraf.
Now the administration supports change in Pakistan, and you call it yet another policy blunder.

Did I get that straight?
I don't recall saying they were hypocrites, though in response to the assassination of Bhutto (sp?), I could see it as a possibility, though I would have been more likely to state that the US wasn't getting what it needed out of the region, and that we may be making it easier for terrorists to find safe harbor there with our policies. This could end up being good, but instability in that region isn't necessarily desired.

What I really believe is that we so badly flubbed up Afghanistan and that invasion's aftermath in our (unnecessary) rush to war in Iraq, that it screwed us in the region for 10 years (or more) and that this is one symptom of that screw up.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Trappin

Post by Trappin »

http://www.longwarjournal.org/archives/ ... sident.php" target="_blank

Musharraf sealed his fate after declaring martial law in November 2007. Done under the auspices of fighting the Taliban and al Qaeda, Musharraf instead used his power to dismiss the justices of the Supreme Court and pack the court with his supporters.

Musharraf lifted martial law in January and parliamentary and provincial elections were held in late February. The PPP won the most seats, followed by the PML-N. The Pakistan Muslim League - Qaid, Musharraf's political party, took a distant fourth. The Muttahida Majlis-e-Amil, or MMA, the pro-Taliban Islamist party, was also routed.

The Army is believed to have asked Musharraf to step down. Musharraf's aides were in negotiations with the Pakistan's coalition government last week. Theses talks were facilitated by the US, Britain, and Saudi Arabia and it is believed Musharraf received immunity in exchange for stepping down.

The US has no leverage with Pakistan beyond the original threat of "bombing it back to the stone age"' - which we all know just ain't going to happen. Any moderate willing to run for office might as well just sign their own execution order and bypass the middleman. I don't know what people expect Bu$hCo to do and Nancy Pelosi is on holiday. I guess Congress doesn't find this very important.

What can Obama or Mccain do that the oft vaunted dialogue-deft progressive Eurocrat diplomats have failed at ? Years of failed EuroConversation have resulted in huge territorial losses to the Taliban in SWAT and other provinces once controlled by non-Taliban tribal warlords.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

BBC
A Pakistani court has sentenced former military ruler Pervez Musharraf to death in absentia for treason over his 2007 imposition of emergency rule.

Such a verdict is a first in a country with a history of army rule. The military reacted angrily, saying legal process "seems to have been ignored".

The general seized power in a 1999 coup and was president from 2001 to 2008.

The penalty is unlikely to be carried out. Gen Musharraf was allowed to leave Pakistan in 2016 and is in Dubai.

The high treason charge has been pending since 2013. It relates to Gen Musharraf's suspension of the constitution in 2007, when he declared an emergency in a move intended to extend his tenure.
He is best known internationally for his role in the US "war on terror", which he supported after the 9/11 attacks despite domestic opposition.

Gen Musharraf left the country after relinquishing the presidency in 2008, but returned in 2013 to contest the general elections, when he was barred from standing by the courts and was embroiled in several cases - including over the assassination of former PM Benazir Bhutto.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Tulsi must be ecstatic.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

BBC
A court in Pakistan has overturned the death sentence handed down to former president Pervez Musharraf by declaring the legal process unconstitutional.

Gen Musharraf had challenged the formation of special court which found him guilty of treason last December.

On Monday, the Lahore High Court sided with the exiled general, who seized power in a 1999 coup and was president from 2001 to 2008.
Gen Musharraf, who has always denied any wrongdoing, was allowed to leave Pakistan in 2016 on medical grounds and is in Dubai where he is receiving medical treatment.

The ruling allowed for this, saying if Gen Musharraf died before he could be executed "his corpse (should) be dragged to D-Chowk, [outside parliament in] Islamabad, Pakistan, and be hanged for three days".

The directive sparked outrage, with the government seeking to disbar the panel's head judge, according to news agency Reuters.
It's almost as if people are the problem.