The proud tradition of Illinois

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

The proud tradition of Illinois

Post by ImLawBoy »

As with prior Illinois governors, our current sitting governor, Rod Blagojevich, is in some corruption trouble. Of course, he replaced the currently incarcerated Gov. George Ryan. Blago outdid Ryan by actually getting arrested by the Feds while still in office. Among the corruption charges are that he was trying to sell/profit from naming Obama's successor in the Senate.

Nice, Rod. No one would be looking at that closely.

Story.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Re: The proud tradition of Illinois

Post by LawBeefaroni »

The fact that he's still in office is disturbing. Granted it took the flaming death of children to get enough outrage going against Ryan but Blagojevich's body of uncovered work is quite impressive.

I was at a Sox game where he threw out the opening pitch. He was getting a full round of booing before he even stepped to the [base of] the mound. He held up his daughter as if to say, "But I have a daughter!" and she started crying. I felt bad for her but it was full on Blago shitbaggery. That stupid chirpy ignorant grin of his is evidence of an intellect that can't understand that a governor who spends more time at Wrigley than at Springfield wouldn't get hammered mercilessly on the South Side. And he even gets boos at Wrigley. Using his daughter as a shield was just slimy.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Oh, he was arrested? Delicious.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I still recall the reptilian texture of his skin when he was shaking hands outside of Union Station the day he was first elected to office. I didn't want to shake his hand, he just stepped up and took it. It instantly brought back memories of another former politician's handshake. Jerry Springer. :P

Blago dodged so many bullets so far, it's amazing it took this long. He must have held us all in contempt to keep it up rather than fly straight for a while and let things settle down. :evil:
Black Lives Matter
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

That's what kills me. It's no secret that he was under all sorts of investigation for corruption, and he's so arrogant that he's still trying to sell Obama's Senate seat? That takes some balls.
triggercut

Post by triggercut »

What an absolute joke of a human. Please get him into jail and ineligible to run for anything in Illinois ever again soon?

Josh Marshall makes the same point as ILB: *everyone* knew that Blago's phones were tapped, that everything he did was under surveillance for corruption....and yet this.

What a comically inept dirtbag.
"It's my manner, sir. It looks insubordinate, but it isn't, really."
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I'm just wondering if there's room for him to share a cell with Betty Loren Maltese. :P
Black Lives Matter
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

I know it's horrible, but I'm actually giddy about this whole thing. Blago was my most hated politician (even more than Bush or Mayor Daley), and I can't wait to be rid of him from Springfield.
Mr. Sparkle

Post by Mr. Sparkle »

Kevin Drum is saying he read somewhere that he had a 4% approval rating... can our peeps from Illinois confirm that? I would imagine an approval rating that low isn't statistically significantly different from zero... which I don't think I've ever heard of. It seems there should always be enough idiots to keep your approval rating in the teens no matter what you do.

EDIT: Nevermind. Here it is. Wow.
My blog: Chimpanzee Tea Party

"Osama Bin Laden can suck my insouciance." -Kung Fu Monkey
B Dog

Post by B Dog »

From Fitzgerald's statement, with regard to the Obama seat:
Later on November 5, Blagojevich said to Advisor A, "I've got this thing and it's [expletive] golden, and, uh, uh, I'm just not giving it up for [expletive] nothing. I'm not gonna do it. And, and I can always use it. I can parachute me there."
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

triggercut wrote: Josh Marshall makes the same point as ILB: *everyone* knew that Blago's phones were tapped, that everything he did was under surveillance for corruption....and yet this.

What a comically inept dirtbag.
He's oblivious. His father-in-law (Richard Mell) is a Illinois/Chicago heavyweight. He got Blag elected. Once in office, the governor proceeded to shit on him. He even accused Mell of trying to use his relationship to gain influence. Yes, the same relationship that got him elected. Completely oblivious. Appropriately, they most famously squared off on landfill investigations.

MYT
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Fitzgerald called it a "crime spree of government corruption." Awesome.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

ImLawBoy wrote:Fitzgerald called it a "crime spree of government corruption." Awesome.

Wow, his press conference right now is brutal.

Heh, CMH ganked him.

MYT
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Obama should be relieved that this came down after the election. The FBI agent in charge just said that "if Illinois isn't the most corrupt state in the US, it's certainly in the running" (or something like that - not an exact quote).
Mr. Sparkle

Post by Mr. Sparkle »

via The Stump

The best part is that he thought he could run for President in 2016 after appointing himself to Obama's Senate seat.
Throughout the intercepted conversations, Blagojevich also allegedly spent significant time weighing the option of appointing himself to the open Senate seat and expressed a variety of reasons for doing so, including: frustration at being "stuck" as governor; a belief that he will be able to obtain greater resources if he is indicted as a sitting Senator as opposed to a sitting governor; a desire to remake his image in consideration of a possible run for President in 2016; avoiding impeachment by the Illinois legislature; making corporate contacts that would be of value to him after leaving public office; facilitating his wife's employment as a lobbyist; and generating speaking fees should he decide to leave public office.
That's pretty awesome.

naednek

Post by naednek »

wow Illinois governors are making the Governator and Davis look good.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Brian

Post by Brian »

ImLawBoy wrote:Obama should be relieved that this came down after the election. The FBI agent in charge just said that "if Illinois isn't the most corrupt state in the US, it's certainly in the running" (or something like that - not an exact quote).

Isn't that sort of a tradition though?
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Brian wrote:
ImLawBoy wrote:Obama should be relieved that this came down after the election. The FBI agent in charge just said that "if Illinois isn't the most corrupt state in the US, it's certainly in the running" (or something like that - not an exact quote).

Isn't that sort of a tradition though?
It's the proud one I mentioned in the thread title!

Still, having that quote hanging out there would not have helped.
Freezer-TPF-

Post by Freezer-TPF- »

ImLawBoy wrote:That's what kills me. It's no secret that he was under all sorts of investigation for corruption, and he's so arrogant that he's still trying to sell Obama's Senate seat? That takes some balls.
Indeed. The mind boggles. Some people think they are untouchable. Well, TAG.
When the sun goes out, we'll have eight minutes to live.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

I guess he could consider it a "consultants" fee for finding the right person for the Senate seat. :wink:
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
triggercut

Post by triggercut »

Local news in Chicago apparently reporting that sources have said that Rahm Emanuel was the whistle blower over these latest shenanigans. He wanted Obama (who is clean, which is why his star took so long to rise in Chicago) as insulated from Blago as possible, and when they got the "pay to play" request on Valerie Jarrett, he'd had enough.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Obama may come off looking really good here. Blago was trying to get something in return for Obama's preferred person being named, but Blago is on tape saying, "they're not willing to give me anything except appreciation. Fuck them."
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

triggercut wrote:(who is clean, which is why his star took so long to rise in Chicago)
So long?

MYT
triggercut

Post by triggercut »

LawBeefaroni wrote:
triggercut wrote:(who is clean, which is why his star took so long to rise in Chicago)
So long?
Yep. A guy with Obama's credentials usually gets tapped by the Southside machine to run as soon as he arrives. Obama wouldn't play ball with Bobby Rush and even had the gall to run against him. When Obama finally got his state senate seat, the machine guys thought it'd be good, 'cause it would get him out of Chicago--they were already afraid of him. When he declared for the Illinois Senate Seat in 2003, Rush and his people were hopeful of squishing his candidacy early on.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

The Lt. Governor just called on Blago to resign!
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

triggercut wrote:
LawBeefaroni wrote:
So long?
Yep. A guy with Obama's credentials usually gets tapped by the Southside machine to run as soon as he arrives. Obama wouldn't play ball with Bobby Rush and even had the gall to run against him. When Obama finally got his state senate seat, the machine guys thought it'd be good, 'cause it would get him out of Chicago--they were already afraid of him. When he declared for the Illinois Senate Seat in 2003, Rush and his people were hopeful of squishing his candidacy early on.
I don't think he wanted to be a career Alderman.

Obama "finally" got his state senate seat at the ripe old age of 35 (36?), an excruciating 5 years after graduating grad school. When he announced the US Senate in 2003 the race was a free for all. He handily won the primary and then won basically unopposed (after Jack Ryan dropped out). Where was all the Chicago Machine opposition? 12 years after winning the state position, he is President Elect. I know people who have taken longer to graduate from college.

He's not a blind Machine soldier but he's not a victim of theirs either.

MYT
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

ImLawBoy wrote:The Lt. Governor just called on Blago to resign!
And don't forget November's ballot:
Shall the Illinois Constitution be amended to establish a recall process for the office of Governor and other statewide elected officials?

MYT
Mr. Sparkle

Post by Mr. Sparkle »

The race to impeach is on. Why? Because:
llinois law allows Blagojevich to make an appointment while in jail.
Can he appoint himself while in jail? Because that would be extra super awesome.

$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Mr. Sparkle wrote:The race to impeach is on. Why? Because:
Can he appoint himself while in jail? Because that would be extra super awesome.
:shock:

Wow, what a strange state.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

$iljanus wrote:

Anyone taking an appointment from Blagojevich would be an instant lame duck. I think any mainstream career politician would refuse it. Now if he appointed Kanye West or Mike Ditka...

MYT
Mr. Sparkle

Post by Mr. Sparkle »

$iljanus wrote:

TPM is reporting that the Illinois AG isn't sure whether appointing people from jail is cool or not...

Unagi

Post by Unagi »

As other's have said, I'll just echo.

Considering the spotlight / microscope Blago is/was under the last couple of years, I'd like to say (not that I can) that I am shocked that he treated the senate seat replacement with such, well - such fucking idiocy. I hope he gets nailed to the wall for this, and I am so glad to hear that Emanuel was the whistleblower.

What an ass. What a royal fucking ass.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

There is that whole "innocent until proven guilty" thing to consider. Blago should resign (or take a leave of absence or something like that), but I get the feeling he's way too arrogant/bullheaded to do that. He'll cling to power as long as possible. If that's the case, then why (theoretically) should he be prevented from fulfilling the duties of his office? He's still innocent.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Mr. Sparkle wrote: TPM is reporting that the Illinois AG isn't sure whether appointing people from jail is cool or not...
Lisa Madigan.

This is going to be funny.

MYT
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

ImLawBoy wrote:There is that whole "innocent until proven guilty" thing to consider.
True.

But if this stuff all pans out:
A 76-page FBI affidavit alleges that Blagojevich was intercepted on court-authorized wiretaps during the last month conspiring to sell or trade Illinois U.S. Senate seat vacated by President-elect Barack Obama for financial and other personal benefits for himself and his wife. At various times, in exchange for the Senate appointment, Blagojevich discussed obtaining:
  • a substantial salary for himself at a either a non-profit foundation or an organization affiliated with labor unions;
  • placing his wife on paid corporate boards where he speculated she might garner as much as $150,000 a year;
  • promises of campaign funds - including cash up front; and
  • a cabinet post or ambassadorship for himself.
Just last week, on December 4, Blagojevich allegedly told an advisor that he might get some (money) up front, maybe from Senate Candidate 5, if he named Senate Candidate 5 to the Senate seat, to insure that Senate Candidate 5 kept a promise about raising money for Blagojevich if he ran for re-election. In a recorded conversation on October 31, Blagojevich claimed he was approached by an associate of Senate Candidate 5 as follows: We were approached pay to play. That, you know, hed raise 500 grand. An emissary came. Then the other guy would raise a million, if I made him (Senate Candidate 5) a Senator.

On November 7, while talking on the phone about the Senate seat with Harris and an advisor, Blagojevich said he needed to consider his family and that he is financially hurting, the affidavit states. Harris allegedly said that they were considering what would help the financial security of the Blagojevich family and what will keep Blagojevich politically viable. Blagojevich stated, I want to make money, adding later that he is interested in making $250,000 to $300,000 a year, the complaint alleges.
...his goose is cooked.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Oh, there's no doubt in my mind that he's guilty. That "innocent until proven guilty" thing doesn't extend to us here. I'm just saying that, from a legal standpoint, I'm not sure what right there is to keep Blago from governing even under indictment. I haven't done any sort of research on the issue, so it's just my first thoughts on the issue, but it seems to me that someone shouldn't have the government taking away too many of their rights until they've been proven guilty.

Of course, we suspend some of those rights depending on the circumstances (keeping people in jail pending trial, for example, if they are a flight risk or if the crime was particularly heinous), so there are exceptions. I just don't know that this falls into an exception. (Sure looks like Madigan will try to fit it into one, though!)
triggercut

Post by triggercut »

The guy reporting the story from the Trib was on WGN today. He speculated (and specifically stated that it was pure speculation) that Blagojevic was mentally ill. Makes sense.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Aren't all of us Cubs fans a little mentally ill? ;)

He sure doesn't behave like a normal person, anyway.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

ImLawBoy wrote:Oh, there's no doubt in my mind that he's guilty. That "innocent until proven guilty" thing doesn't extend to us here. I'm just saying that, from a legal standpoint, I'm not sure what right there is to keep Blago from governing even under indictment. I haven't done any sort of research on the issue, so it's just my first thoughts on the issue, but it seems to me that someone shouldn't have the government taking away too many of their rights until they've been proven guilty.

Of course, we suspend some of those rights depending on the circumstances (keeping people in jail pending trial, for example, if they are a flight risk or if the crime was particularly heinous), so there are exceptions. I just don't know that this falls into an exception. (Sure looks like Madigan will try to fit it into one, though!)
Wouldn't it be as simple as denying him a pen to sign an appointment (or a phone or a computer or whatever is required)? Do they have to allow him to meet with his staff?

"Sure, you can govern all you want but we don't allow inmates sharp pointy pens..."

I suppose he could do it when meeting with his counsel.

MYT
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Mr. Sparkle wrote: EDIT: Nevermind. Here it is. Wow.
Whats up with 108% of Arizonans having opinions? That seems too big to be rounding error. :|
Last edited by Defiant on Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.