The proud tradition of Illinois

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Re: The proud tradition of Illinois

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Isgrimnur wrote:
They even sought to edit out what they consider irrelevant chit-chat on hours of FBI wiretap recordings, evidence at the heart of the government case, including a reference in one conversation to Blagojevich’s famously bountiful locks.
Aaaaand...hepcat loses all interest.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Crossposting in MLB thread : 1918 Cubs threw series to RedSox?
If Chicago has been willing to believe that a cow caused the Great Chicago Fire, maybe it will buy this one: The White Sox got the idea to throw the 1919 World Series after the Cubs did the same thing one year earlier.

That's the suggestion -- more of a hint, really -- from Eddie Cicotte, one of the infamous Black Sox banned from baseball after their tainted World Series against Cincinnati.

In a 1920 court deposition the Chicago History Museum recently put on its website, Cicotte said "the boys on the club" talked about how a Cub or a number of Cubs were offered $10,000 to throw the 1918 Series they lost 4-2 to the Boston Red Sox.
Little did they know that series would be the last for either team in quite some time...
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Verdict is expected around 1pm local. Took 9 days of deliberation.

Politico wrote:The jury in the corruption trial of former Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich has reached agreements on 18 of the 20 counts against him and the results will be announced later Monday, the judge in the case said.

“The jury has come to a unanimous decision on 18 of 20 counts … We are confident that we will not able to come to agreement on the two counts even with further deliberation,” the jury said in a note to Judge James Zagel.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Guilty on 17 of 20 counts (10 counts on wire fraud), 1 Not Guilty on the charge of Soliciting the construction executive, deadlocked on the charges of Attempted Extortion for the tollway construction and Attempted Extortion from holding up school funding in Congressman Emanuel's district for a fundraiser.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Well, that's good news.

MYT
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

If this were DC, he'd be re-elected in a couple of years.

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Odin

Post by Odin »

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Look out Terre Haute, shit is about to get caaarraaazy!!!

PS, have any good stylists incarcerated there?

MYT
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Odin wrote:14 years.
It's kind of a shame that it takes corruption this blatant for anyone to be held accountable.

From the little I've read, he certainly deserved to be convicted and jailed. I have no idea if 14 years is appropriate or not. Part of me feels like he was just unlucky enough to be made an example of, but I have no basis for that thought.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

GreenGoo wrote: Part of me feels like he was just unlucky enough to be made an example of, but I have no basis for that thought.
In Illionis we like to put our governors in prison.

Huh, and now I know what Blago did wrong:
Len Small (R), governor from 1921 to 1929, was indicted in office for corruption. He was acquitted; thereafter, eight of the jurors received state jobs. Among his defense lawyers was former governor Joseph Fifer, who asserted, in pre-trial hearings, that the governorship has the divine right of kings.

MYT
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

LawBeefaroni wrote:
GreenGoo wrote: Part of me feels like he was just unlucky enough to be made an example of, but I have no basis for that thought.
Yeah, the article made that clear. I was referring to the 14 years. Is that enough? Too much? Just right?
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

GreenGoo wrote:
LawBeefaroni wrote:
Yeah, the article made that clear. I was referring to the 14 years. Is that enough? Too much? Just right?
I think the maximum allowed by law was 30 and the defense was going for 3. Personally I think it's appropriate. More than I expected.

MYT
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

GreenGoo wrote:
LawBeefaroni wrote:
14 is good. Hope it serves as enough of a deterent. Cant abuse the public trust like that and i think you need to give them big sentences.
Bayraktar!!!!

Trump and the GOP; putting the banana in our Republic.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Ever the stand up kind of guy, Blago now says he requires substance abuse treatment. Just so happens it would cut a year or more off his sentence if he gets it.

Two former associates of another convicted former Illinois governor, George Ryan, said Wednesday that they remember it didn’t take much to get into the Residential Drug Abuse Treatment Program — as little as regularly consuming five alcoholic drinks a week before they had been incarcerated.

“Any defense lawyer in town that’s worth their salt all know about this and they all try to get their clients in,” said Scott Fawell, Ryan’s former chief of staff who cut his sentence by about 8 months by completing the drug program at a federal prison in Yankton, S.D. “(A lot) of the people who go through the system now ask for it or attempt to get in. How many actually need it, I couldn’t tell you.”

U.S. District Judge James Zagel agreed this week to recommend Blagojevich for the counseling program at a low-security prison in Littleton, Colo., but the ultimate decision will be made by the U.S. Bureau of Prisons.

MYT
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Full rehearing request
Former Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich will ask a full appellate court in Chicago to rehear his appeal after a panel of three judges recently tossed five of his 18 corruption convictions, his defense attorney said.

The imprisoned Illinois Democrat’s appellate lawyer, Leonard Goodman, tells the Chicago Tribune he will file the request with the 7th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals before a Tuesday deadline.

The three-judge panel of the 7th Circuit on July 21 threw out convictions linked to Blagojevich’s attempt to land a post in President Barack Obama’s Cabinet for appointing an Obama adviser to the president’s former U.S. Senate seat. But the judges upheld allegations that Blagojevich sought to sell the Senate seat for campaign cash.

The court ordered the trial judge to resentence Blagojevich, 58, factoring in the overturned counts. The unanimous ruling let 13 counts stand.
Blagojevich began serving his sentence at a prison near Denver on March 15, 2012, and has served more than three years. Before the appeal, his estimated release date was 2024; he would be 67.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Et tu, state university?
The resignation of the top administrator at the University of Illinois' flagship campus is following a familiar script: Step down under pressure, take a year off with pay, then return as one of the highest-paid members of the faculty.

Chancellor Phyllis Wise became at least the sixth top administrator to resign from the university under difficult circumstances since 2009. Five have or are expected to return after a year's paid leave to high-paying campus jobs that wouldn't otherwise exist, while a sixth who announced his resignation this week will rejoin the faculty at the end of the month.

The soft, lucrative landings into positions that often come with salaries of $200,000 a year or more are guaranteed by contracts commonly given to high-level administrators at many schools. Some experts say they're necessary to persuade qualified people to take jobs that — as the University of Illinois demonstrates — can be demanding and end badly.
Other schools provide similar deals. Colorado State University President Tony Frank can leave his job and become a faculty member at $208,000 a year. And at California State University, a year off with pay is common for top administrators before they take up faculty jobs, a practice that has drawn criticism from other professors.

At Illinois, the contracts for just four of the administrators will cost the public university $1.3 million next school year. But given likely funding cuts as the state deals with a huge budget deficit, University President Timothy Killeen told The Associated Press on Wednesday that the school needs to study potential changes in future contracts.
Killeen's own contract, approved this year, guarantees him a job as a tenured professor of electrical and computer engineering at a salary equal to the average of the 10 highest in the university, excluding medical and dentistry professors.

Wise's resignation came after the university revealed more than 1,000 pages of emails in which she and others used personal email accounts to discuss university business. While that's permitted, those emails were not provided in response to subsequent public requests for such emails made under the Freedom of Information Act.

She will not receive a $400,000 bonus due under her contract, after Gov. Bruce Rauner and other politicians complained. But as a professor of molecular and cellular biology, she will earn $298,926 — more than twice what the average University of Illinois professor was paid last year.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

If colleges were free we wouldn't have this problem.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Moliere wrote:If colleges were free we wouldn't have this problem.
Problem? If we didn't have this "problem," these professors might be out loose in the real world!

:wink:

MYT
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

ChiTrib
Former Chicago Public Schools CEO Barbara Byrd-Bennett plans to plead guilty to charges she steered no-bid contracts worth more than $23 million to an education consulting firm where she once worked in return for promises of hundreds of thousands of dollars in kickbacks, other perks and a job, federal prosecutors revealed Thursday.
The 23-count indictment alleges that almost immediately after Mayor Rahm Emanuel installed her as public schools chief in 2012, Byrd-Bennett began scheming with Gary Solomon and Thomas Vranas, co-owners of SUPES Academy, to secure the contracts to train principals and school administrators.

In return, Byrd-Bennett was promised a "signing bonus" of more than $250,000 and a job at SUPES once she stepped down as the public schools CEO, the indictment charges. She also was given meals and tickets to sporting events and expected to be reimbursed for a holiday party she hosted for CPS personnel, according to the charges.

The indictment also alleges that Solomon offered to arrange employment for friends of Byrd-Bennett's.

Solomon and Vranas also were criminally charged, as was their business and a subsidiary, Synesi Associates.

The long-awaited indictment comes six months after CPS revealed in mid-April that it had been served federal grand jury subpoenas seeking an array of documents related to the SUPES contract. Soon after Byrd-Bennett took a paid leave of absence, and she resigned in May.

Each of the five defendants was charged with 15 counts of mail fraud and five counts of wire fraud, except for Vranas, who was indicted on one fewer wire fraud count. Solomon, 47, of Wilmette, and Vranas, 34, of Glenview, were also charged with two counts of bribery and one count of conspiracy to defraud the U.S.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

It's never good when the new Federal prosecutor announces he has a "target rich" environment for prosecutions.
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Isgrimnur wrote:Et tu, state university?
The resignation of the top administrator at the University of Illinois' flagship campus is following a familiar script: Step down under pressure, take a year off with pay, then return as one of the highest-paid members of the faculty.

Chancellor Phyllis Wise became at least the sixth top administrator to resign from the university under difficult circumstances since 2009. Five have or are expected to return after a year's paid leave to high-paying campus jobs that wouldn't otherwise exist, while a sixth who announced his resignation this week will rejoin the faculty at the end of the month.

The soft, lucrative landings into positions that often come with salaries of $200,000 a year or more are guaranteed by contracts commonly given to high-level administrators at many schools. Some experts say they're necessary to persuade qualified people to take jobs that — as the University of Illinois demonstrates — can be demanding and end badly.
Other schools provide similar deals. Colorado State University President Tony Frank can leave his job and become a faculty member at $208,000 a year. And at California State University, a year off with pay is common for top administrators before they take up faculty jobs, a practice that has drawn criticism from other professors.

At Illinois, the contracts for just four of the administrators will cost the public university $1.3 million next school year. But given likely funding cuts as the state deals with a huge budget deficit, University President Timothy Killeen told The Associated Press on Wednesday that the school needs to study potential changes in future contracts.
Killeen's own contract, approved this year, guarantees him a job as a tenured professor of electrical and computer engineering at a salary equal to the average of the 10 highest in the university, excluding medical and dentistry professors.

Wise's resignation came after the university revealed more than 1,000 pages of emails in which she and others used personal email accounts to discuss university business. While that's permitted, those emails were not provided in response to subsequent public requests for such emails made under the Freedom of Information Act.

She will not receive a $400,000 bonus due under her contract, after Gov. Bruce Rauner and other politicians complained. But as a professor of molecular and cellular biology, she will earn $298,926 — more than twice what the average University of Illinois professor was paid last year.
Yeah, faculty retreat rights are quite common in Administrative positions - especially when many of those positions effectively require a PhD. I used to have to track those folks when I used to work in HR at the University.

ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Isgrimnur wrote:ChiTrib
Former Chicago Public Schools CEO Barbara Byrd-Bennett plans to plead guilty to charges she steered no-bid contracts worth more than $23 million to an education consulting firm where she once worked in return for promises of hundreds of thousands of dollars in kickbacks, other perks and a job, federal prosecutors revealed Thursday.
The 23-count indictment alleges that almost immediately after Mayor Rahm Emanuel installed her as public schools chief in 2012, Byrd-Bennett began scheming with Gary Solomon and Thomas Vranas, co-owners of SUPES Academy, to secure the contracts to train principals and school administrators.

In return, Byrd-Bennett was promised a "signing bonus" of more than $250,000 and a job at SUPES once she stepped down as the public schools CEO, the indictment charges. She also was given meals and tickets to sporting events and expected to be reimbursed for a holiday party she hosted for CPS personnel, according to the charges.

The indictment also alleges that Solomon offered to arrange employment for friends of Byrd-Bennett's.

Solomon and Vranas also were criminally charged, as was their business and a subsidiary, Synesi Associates.

The long-awaited indictment comes six months after CPS revealed in mid-April that it had been served federal grand jury subpoenas seeking an array of documents related to the SUPES contract. Soon after Byrd-Bennett took a paid leave of absence, and she resigned in May.

Each of the five defendants was charged with 15 counts of mail fraud and five counts of wire fraud, except for Vranas, who was indicted on one fewer wire fraud count. Solomon, 47, of Wilmette, and Vranas, 34, of Glenview, were also charged with two counts of bribery and one count of conspiracy to defraud the U.S.
I saw a quote from her e-mail on the news last night where she said that she needed the money for tuition (for her grandkids) and the casinos.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I didn't know that the casinos had college ambitions.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

ImLawBoy wrote:
Isgrimnur wrote:ChiTrib

I saw a quote from her e-mail on the news last night where she said that she needed the money for tuition (for her grandkids) and the casinos.
The exact quote is:
I have tuition to pay and casinos to visit. (:
Smilie hers.

As someone who has tried to embrace the our local public school, it's infuriating. The wife has basically taken on a part time job fundraising. She's met in person with 2 aldermen, a state rep, and a mega development corporation. Just so the public school isn't a complete disaster. And it's a good school on the CPS scale, in a high tax neighborhood. The really poor schools are an absolute mess. Even a few grand would make a world of difference for them. All the while this piece of shit is blowing money on overinflated contracts so she can lock in cash and perks.

I mean I knew this went on, I assumed it was par for the course. But when you see the actual numbers, the dire situation a lot of these schools are in, it's just disgusting.

MYT
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

BBB Update
After pleading guilty to a single count of wire fraud, Byrd-Bennett stopped briefly to talk as she left the Dirksen U.S. Courthouse in Chicago. With tears in her eyes, she said she had a message for the schoolchildren and their families.

"I am terribly sorry, and I apologize to them. They deserve much more, much more than I gave to them," she said.

Byrd-Bennett, 66, then left without taking questions from a crowd of reporters.

She is cooperating with prosecutors and has agreed to postpone her sentencing until after the charges against her co-defendants have been resolved.
That's awfully generous of her to delay her sentencing like that.
According to her 22-page plea agreement, prosecutors have agreed to seek a sentence of about 7 1/2 years in prison — below the 11 to 14 years in prison called for under federal sentencing guidelines — in exchange for her cooperation.
Mr. Fed would be proud. No breathless hyperbole of how many centuries a wire fraud conviction would merit at the highest levels.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

She can fuck right off. And she isn't an exception in Emanuel's administration.

MYT
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

How many times does it take to understand outsourcing of government = incentive for corruption?
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Zarathud wrote:How many times does it take to understand outsourcing of government = incentive for corruption?
It's not that they don't understand. The outsourcing of government provides a liquid currency.

MYT
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Why the hell are no-bid contracts still a thing, especially at a local level?
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Isgrimnur wrote:Why the hell are no-bid contracts still a thing, especially at a local level?
Because in some rare circumstances they are actually useful. But they get overused. Especially here.

And not surprisingly...
While Emanuel has previously said his administration played no role in the contract, the Tribune reported Monday that key Emanuel aides, Chicago school leaders and the consultants had multiple conversations in the months, weeks and days leading up to Emanuel's hand-picked school board awarding the contract in June 2013.

In the wake of that story, the mayor on Monday said for the first time that his office was involved in the discussion prior to the board vote. He said his chief of staff and others questioned the deal "concocted" by Byrd-Bennett and the SUPES owners.

"They concocted this, and in fact my staff did the right thing by asking hard questions and directing those questions to the people that were trying to pursue that contract," Emanuel said. "And in fact, they were acting appropriately as a stop-gap.

"Lisa and others asked some very hard questions," Emanuel said, referring to former chief of staff Lisa Schrader.

In April, when asked if his administration had any role at all in the SUPES contract, Emanuel told reporters, "No, you obviously know that by all the information available. And so the answer to that is no."

Then in May, during an interview with the Tribune, Emanuel was asked if he recalled any specifics about bringing in SUPES or any of the discussions preceding the approval of the contract.

"No," he said and shook his head.
He goes from Sgt. Schultz to The Wizard of Oz like a natural.

MYT
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It wouldn't surprise me in the least to hear about FOIA and subpoena requests going to city hall asking about e-mails and documents on this case.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Ohhhhhhh *that* SUPES contract...
Black Lives Matter.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Exactly. He thought that the reporter was asking whether they had talks about a contract with Superman, so he correctly responded no.
Black Lives Matter.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Illinois Lottery holding payouts of more than $600
Starting Oct. 15, Illinois will no longer pay out lottery winnings worth more than $600, according to the Chicago Sun-Times. In September, the state set the IOU threshold at $25,000. For now, winners with tickets worth less than $600 can still redeem their winnings at retail locations.

Lottery winners can’t expect payment until the state passes a budget. The state has been without a budget since July 1, though many Illinoisans have claimed winning lottery tickets since then. Illinois Comptroller Leslie Munger doesn’t have the authority to cut checks to the Illinois Lottery without a budget on the books.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Moliere wrote:Illinois Lottery holding payouts of more than $600
Starting Oct. 15, Illinois will no longer pay out lottery winnings worth more than $600, according to the Chicago Sun-Times. In September, the state set the IOU threshold at $25,000. For now, winners with tickets worth less than $600 can still redeem their winnings at retail locations.

Lottery winners can’t expect payment until the state passes a budget. The state has been without a budget since July 1, though many Illinoisans have claimed winning lottery tickets since then. Illinois Comptroller Leslie Munger doesn’t have the authority to cut checks to the Illinois Lottery without a budget on the books.
They're over 10 months behind paying medical claims for state employee/retirees too. One they catch up to 12/31/2014 they will stop paying all claims until the budget is passed. I have doctors out hundreds of thousands due to this. There are practices in Springfield going bankrupt over it. And you know who you can complain to? The state Department of Insurance and someone who is probably covered under one of these plans. The best part, they are paying 9% annual interest on late claims so the hole just keeps getting deeper.

They're also not paying their November pension contribution of around $560M.
Comptroller Leslie Geissler Munger said on Wednesday that Illinois will have to delay a November payment of $560 million to pension funds. She suggested a similar thing could happen with December payments.

Munger explained that the situation was generated by a shortage of cash, which was, in time, caused by the state’s extended budget impasse. However, she added, all payments will be made before the end of the fiscal year in June of 2016. At the time, the state prioritizes “the bond payments above everything else,” the Comptroller told reporters.

MYT
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Because investors are so much more important than the health and well-being of their employees, who, of course, probably can't afford to sue.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

On the upside, we're getting closer to my dream of a walled off city in which I can run around dressed like Snake Plisken without getting hassled by police.

On the downside, we're getting closer to my dream of a walled off city in which I can run around dressed like Snake Plisken.
Covfefe!
Rip

Post by Rip »

Is Trump running the place?
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Rip wrote:Is Trump running the place?
Possibly.

BND wrote:And, if you carefully rewatch the [swearing in] ceremony on YouTube, that’s exactly what District Judge Sharon Johnson Coleman of the state’s Northern District tries to get Rauner to do. After the massive Bible is taken out of its box and handed to Rauner’s wife, Rauner immediately starts to put his right hand on the Bible only to withdraw it as Coleman starts to speak.

“Raise your right hand; place your hand on the Bible,” she tells him.

Instead, he places his right hand on the Bible and leaves his left hand at his side.

“Raise your right hand,” she repeats, the drill firmly cemented in her mind.

He raises his left. Not wanting to make her moment in the spotlight more awkward, she gives up and administers the oath, leaving sharp-eyed people like you to spot the boo-boo.

MYT