The proud tradition of Illinois

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Moliere

Re: The proud tradition of Illinois

Post by Moliere »

I want to be a Governor.

and

"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

In Illinois they luv the Guv'nuh
Boo, boo, boo!
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Mr. Track Suit tries to turn impeachment into a criminal trial. How long before it he makes it a 1st Amendment matter?
Enlarge Image
Gov. Rod Blagojevich, at his home, telling reporters to go talk to Illinois Senate President John Cullerton, who he said lives down the same street. (Michael Tercha/Chicago Tribune)

Trib wrote:Speaking to reporters outside his North Side home this morning, Gov. Rod Blagojevich accused the Illinois House and Senate of attempting to "thwart the will of the people" by removing a twice-elected governor.

"The impeachment trial is a sham," he said.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

So I guess he feels that he has a mandate from the people to do what he feels is right (for him)...
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Freezer-TPF-

Post by Freezer-TPF- »

Has he tried to pardon himself yet?
When the sun goes out, we'll have eight minutes to live.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Freezer-TPF- wrote:Has he tried to pardon himself yet?
He claims that what the FBI found was only ectoplasm.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

The fun continues. The beloved, if only slight less corrupt than Blago, mayor of Chicago, Richard J. Daley, has publicly called Blago "Cuckoo".

I believe Blago will respond with a standard, "I am rubber, you are glue" retort.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Freezer-TPF-

Post by Freezer-TPF- »

ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Cuckoo Blago wrote:"The reason they're doing this is because they can't wait to get rid of me so they can raise taxes on the people of Illinois," he said. "This is as much about a tax increases as it is about anything else."
I knew it! Selling a Senate seat and bribing the Tribune Co. into firing editors who were uncomplimentary toward Rod were just a clever ruse to raise my taxes!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

What a colossal, insensitive boob.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Isgrimnur wrote:
What a colossal, insensitive boob.
Blagoyovich would call it "testicular fortitude." It's a combination of no shame and a titanic ego.

It's going to be interesting seeing the soon-to-be impeached Governor make his case on the talk shows. I so badly want to see the spectacle of watching Stephen Colbert interview Blago on the Colbert Report.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

With the comments he made about Oprah circulating this morning, I was convinced the man is just trying to build a case for an eventual insanity plea, but then I remembered Arnold Schwarzenager, Sonny Bono, and now probably Al Franken and thought...why not?
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Carpet_pissr wrote:With the comments he made about Oprah circulating this morning, I was convinced the man is just trying to build a case for an eventual insanity plea, but then I remembered Arnold Schwarzenager, Sonny Bono, and now probably Al Franken and thought...why not?
He's trying to drop a Baby Ruth in the jury pool. But it's irrelevant with the impeachment and with the criminal matters, there are hundreds of pages unrelated to the senate seat. Fitzgerald is a completist.

Boston Globe wrote:SPRINGFIELD, Ill. - Governor Rod Blagojevich won't participate in his impeachment trial, which is scheduled to start today in the Illinois Senate. Instead, he will be giving television interviews.
Interviews complaing about how the trial he is missing, to be at the interviews, is unfair.

LA Times wrote:In the NBC interview, portions of which aired Sunday and others to be aired today, Blagojevich said that when he was arrested on federal corruption charges last month, "I thought about Mandela, Dr. King, Gandhi, and trying to put some perspective in all of this."
Last edited by LawBeefaroni on Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
The Preacher
Forum Moderator

Post by The Preacher »

:coffee:
You do not take from this universe. It grants you what it will.
Freezer-TPF-

Post by Freezer-TPF- »

EXTRA EXTRA: Embattled IL Gov. 'Just Making Random Shit Up Now'
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Letterman takes on Blagojevich

I love the audience laughing at Blagojevich claiming he's innocent.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Moliere wrote:Letterman takes on Blagojevich

I love the audience laughing at Blagojevich claiming he's innocent.
Transcript
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

What a surprise. Burris now on the hotseat.

Perjury or not, Burris shows he is at least a liar

February 16, 2009

BY MARK BROWN Sun-Times Columnist
I'll leave it to the proper investigative bodies to decide whether Roland Burris committed perjury last month in testimony before the Illinois House impeachment committee. From a strict legal perspective, maybe he didn't.

But I'll tell you straight up, our new U.S. senator proved himself to be a lying little sneak.

The word preposterous comes to my mind to describe Burris' explanation -- and accompanying performance Sunday -- in which he basically says his previous failure to disclose relevant contacts with Rod Blagojevich's inner circle about the Senate vacancy was simply a matter of everyone else's failure to ask him the right questions or give him time to answer.

The senator now wants us to believe he never knew we might find it relevant that the governor's brother Rob was putting the arm on him for campaign donations during the same period in which the governor is accused of trying to sell the Senate seat -- and while Burris was practically begging everyone he knew for the appointment.

And he doesn't want us to think his newfound truthfulness has anything to do with the intervening disclosure that some of Rob Blagojevich's calls were caught on a wiretap.

Still waitng for representation. Still considering Lake Michigan Tea Party.

MYT
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

And now, our white Northside disgraced ex-governors are blacker than our black Southside presidents.
cbn wrote: "What the (expletive)? Everything he's saying's on the teleprompter," Blagojevich told the magazine for a story in its February issue, which hits newsstands Jan. 19.

"I'm blacker than Barack Obama. I shined shoes. I grew up in a five-room apartment. My father had a little laundromat in a black community not far from where we lived," Blagojevich said. "I saw it all growing up."
At least he didn't say "mo' blacker."

MYT
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

he was recently on the howard stern show and i listened to his interview. for a long time i was under the impression that he got to where he was at in government through connections, graft and other forms of corruption, and while that still may hold true for the majority of his success, after you listen to him you realize that he's a pretty charming fellow. To underestimate him is a mistake.

I still think the man's a sociopath and should not be within 100 miles of power, but I at least respect him enough to realize why he's dangerous.
He won. Period.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

MYT
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

On at least some counts. But which ones? The prosecution relied on the opportunity to impeach Rod on the witness stand, but never got the chance.
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Speaking of the proud tradition of Illinois, R.I.P. Rosty.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Illinois does a few adult films to make ends meet..
"Look, sometimes you just don't have a choice," Gov. Pat Quinn said. "No one's stepped up to fund Illinois' special-education programs or infrastructure improvements, so we have to do what we have to do. Nobody has the right to judge us. Not you, not anybody."

"Luckily, we've got a manager now," Quinn continued. "Jerry's been in the game a long time, and he's really looking out for us. He's been like a father figure."

Reached for comment, Jerry praised Illinois as a sweetheart with an innocent Midwestern look, adding that the state could be making a lot more if it would get some decent implants and maybe try some "harder" material.

"The whole state-next-door thing is nice and all, but to make it in this business you got to be willing to do anything on camera—you know, the edgy stuff," Jerry said. "Just look at Wyoming. Ask Wyoming to do a gang-bang, mother-daughter action, choking, whatever, and it's 'lights, camera, action' every time."

Added Jerry, "That state's a freak."
Black Lives Matter.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

AWS260 wrote:Speaking of the proud tradition of Illinois, R.I.P. Rosty.
Aside from Rosty's sins, he was the architect behind the "Reagan tax cuts" and significant changes to Social Security. He was also a Democrat who knew how to kick ass and take names in the legislative process, while still getting deals done with the Republicans.
Perhaps more important, he held sway over other House members, who knew that crossing him meant paying a price. "I knew everybody wanted something from the chairman," he told the Tribune. "The best attitude was to have people afraid to ask you for anything, and then when you gave them something, they'd be tickled to death. I loved that."
As a parting gift, Rosty negotiated a deal for Loyola University of Chicago's business school to be built at cost by a contractor expecting to get more work on contracts building military base. The condition for the additional government work -- prove you can build on time, on budget.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Zarathud wrote:On at least some counts. But which ones? The prosecution relied on the opportunity to impeach Rod on the witness stand, but never got the chance.
All but two according to what they're saying now.

MYT
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Don't tell me Big Hair Blago is going to walk?!!? That would indeed be a travesty of justice.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Carpet_pissr wrote:Don't tell me Big Hair Blago is going to walk?!!? That would indeed be a travesty of justice.
Hung Jury /= Acquittal
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

LawBeefaroni wrote:
Zarathud wrote:On at least some counts. But which ones? The prosecution relied on the opportunity to impeach Rod on the witness stand, but never got the chance.
Actually, they said they had agreed on two counts, were deadlocked on 11, and hadn't yet voted on the other 11.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

ImLawBoy wrote:
LawBeefaroni wrote:
Actually, they said they had agreed on two counts, were deadlocked on 11, and hadn't yet voted on the other 11.
Yeah, that's what I meant. They had reached a verdict on 2, not deadlocked on 2. I misquoted Z in my mind. Somehow. Whatever.

I have done nothing wrong.

MYT
Mr. Fed

Post by Mr. Fed »

Grifman wrote:
Carpet_pissr wrote:Don't tell me Big Hair Blago is going to walk?!!? That would indeed be a travesty of justice.
Hung Jury /= Acquittal

True. But under the circumstances, if I had to bet, I'd say it's more likely the ones they agreed on were acquittals, not convictions.
Popehat, a blog.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

1 verdict apparently. EDIT: Guilty on false statement/misrepresentation (lying to the FBI).

I guess they retry and this guy costs us more money? EDIT: Yes, the are going to retry.

MYT
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

They just really want to put his ass on the stand.

Oh well, it's what passes for civic entertainment here in Illinois.
Black Lives Matter
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Wow. Looks like the media has already gotten to the jury -- the Chicago Tribune reports only 1 holdout on the Senate seat charge.

The prosecution seems to have been bamboozled by expecting Blagoyovich to testify in his own defense and by shifting its strategy trying to streamline their case. I don't think they'll make those mistakes again.
Mr. Fed

Post by Mr. Fed »

Why the fuck does anyone talk to the FBI?
Popehat, a blog.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Mr. Fed wrote:Why the fuck does anyone talk to the FBI?
Because they really seem to understand just what you're going through.
He won. Period.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

hepcat wrote:
Mr. Fed wrote:Why the fuck does anyone talk to the FBI?
Because they really seem to understand just what you're going through.
Especially if you are Governor Rod Blagoyovich. The man can't stop himself from jabbering...except when he knows it's under oath. D'oh!
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

I was at the Chicago Comic Con yesterday, and they had a sign up:

Advance Tickets for Rod Blagojevich Autograph Session

Saturday, August 21

Autograph - $50

Photo Op - $80

I shit you not. What a douche.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Whee!
Rod Blagojevich’s second corruption trial began Wednesday with little of the hoopla that surrounded the first, as potential jurors quietly began filling out questionnaires aimed at weeding out anyone with strong biases for or against the ousted Illinois governor.

Since Blagojevich’s first trial ended last year with jurors deadlocked on all but one count of lying to the FBI, federal prosecutors have simplified their case and dropped complex charges to address previous juror complaints that the evidence was too difficult to follow.
Blagojevich still faces 20 charges, including allegations he sought to sell or trade an appointment to President Barack Obama’s vacated U.S. Senate seat for campaign cash or a top job.

The 54-year-old is returning to trial with a scaled-down, more bookish defense team that no longer includes lead lawyer Sam Adam Jr., whose courtroom theatrics in round one often drew the judge’s ire. Blagojevich also will be the lone defendant after authorities dropped all charges against his brother.
Prosecutors have since dropped racketeering charges, which have stupefying legal points and subpoints. They also dismissed all charges against Blagojevich’s brother and co-defendant, Robert Blagojevich, allowing them to focus entirely on the former governor.

They even sought to edit out what they consider irrelevant chit-chat on hours of FBI wiretap recordings, evidence at the heart of the government case, including a reference in one conversation to Blagojevich’s famously bountiful locks.